• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

KiraFA37

Been following this game development blog for a while now and was thinking of purchasing this game someday. Only 7 minutes into TB review, just when the game appears and now I'm buying it directly from the creator. Does somebody know the European Steam price?

Arttemis

Ran through the tutorials, I love the aesthetic of the game and it seems remarkably in depth for a title made by one person. The trading system is cool, lots of micromanagement for people who like that sort of thing, and this definitely seems like it'll scratch that city building game itch, with a survivalist twist.

Some screenshots;

wrH5dk6.jpg

hdoGpDw.jpg

1gDhH73.jpg

Thanks for the first hand account! I'm pretty stoked!

addik

Just bought the game via HumbleWidget!

I'm going to download it soon once my brother is done with the PC, then I'm going to play it.

Not sure if I can play tonight though since internet seems to be slow here at this hour. Hopefully, I can do so.

BTW, to those buying directly from Luke, you can actually give an additional tip. I actually missed it and I would have wanted to give a few extra dollars more.

Shahadan

I wish we could choose the coloring of building (or roofs at least) to customize your town and make some building more distinguishable. It'll probably be easier on the long run but at first they're just all brown to you :lol:

Is there a demo?

I'm intrigued by this but don't want to buy it if it's going to run like shit on my laptop.

Developer wanted it to run on small configs so unless you have an old eee pc or something I think it should be ok.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ran through the tutorials, I love the aesthetic of the game and it seems remarkably in depth for a title made by one person. The trading system is cool, lots of micromanagement for people who like that sort of thing, and this definitely seems like it'll scratch that city building game itch, with a survivalist twist.

Some screenshots;

wrH5dk6.jpg

hdoGpDw.jpg

1gDhH73.jpg

Nice, it's the new version of Bootaay Bay! Still my favorite Minecraft location on Neocraft by the way Bootay...

Work is going to take for freakin ever today. I should have called in sick...

KiraFA37

Nothing has been confirmed yet, although I suspect it'll be cheaper to buy straight from the developer and get a Steam key from there. Exchange rate to pounds is fairly decent right now.

I'm using euros over here: straight from developer, €15.04, Steam I guess €20.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Playing the Banished Tutorial now, seems to be a winner mechanics wise, but I havent seen yet how the progress works in a normal game and I am a bit concerned it might be a tad too similar for each playthrough and might not offer enough variation to go into a "just try building a different city"-style either. I am not surprised every YT video is so positive about it, but I think this game might show some sizeable weakness when replaying it.

There is no level-style progression and I am not sure how fun its going to play retrying a new city layout, but I am sure I'll enjoy my first city.

I really wish the game had different challenges, like "not many trees/stones"/"civilians slower because they are sick" or whatever.

Couple of screens from my first settlement;

uAPEzbO.jpg

LbUNeXS.jpg

Managed to survive my first winter :)

Playing the Banished Tutorial now, seems to be a winner mechanics wise, but I havent seen yet how the progress works in a normal game and I am a bit concerned it might be a tad too similar for each playthrough and might not offer enough variation to go into a "just try building a different city"-style either. I am not surprised every YT video is so positive about it, but I think this game might show some sizeable weakness when replaying it.

There is no level-style progression and I am not sure how fun its going to play retrying a new city layout, but I am sure I'll enjoy my first city.

I really wish the game had different challenges, like "not many trees/stones"/"civilians slower because they are sick" or whatever.

Yeah, I was worried that once you had the 'formula' of building a successful settlement perfected, there wouldn't be much challenge. That being said, the achievements seem like they could add some replay value, some of them being awarded for surviving in harsh environments, some for gearing your city toward mass-producing certain goods, or simply for keeping your citizens happy and healthy. Seems like there's just the standard and mountainous environments so far, but it would be cool to see more map-types with their own unique challenges added in later on.

Nice, it's the new version of Bootaay Bay! Still my favorite Minecraft location on Neocraft by the way Bootay...

Haha, mine too, although I was always very impressed by how well Arkyoto turned out. Awesome stuff.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah, I was worried that once you had the 'formula' of building a successful settlement perfected, there wouldn't be much challenge. That being said, the achievements seem like they could add some replay value, some of them being awarded for surviving in harsh environments, some for gearing your city toward mass-producing certain goods, or simply for keeping your citizens happy and healthy. Seems like there's just the standard and mountainous environments so far, but it would be cool to see more map-types with their own unique challenges added in later on.

I really hope it sells decently and fans keep spamming him with this request. Achievements are nice, but also a cheap way out compared to the actual scenario design a game like this should be having.

JoV

So far so good. Lumber seems to be especially important initially, since its needed both for your initial building and firewood. Expand too fast and you'll freeze to death etc etc.

How rigid is that 'can only collect food from old growth forests' restriction? I am trying to keep a lot of pristine forest around my settlement for gatherers and cut lumber elsewhere. Am not sure how long it takes for forests you've planted to become 'old growth'.

Guess I will figure it out in time. There is certainly plenty of time to much around with things in this game!

Shahadan

I'm kinda dumb and forgot to build more houses at first so my villagers lived with their grandparents all their lives.
Awkward.

Orgun

So far so good. Lumber seems to be especially important initially, since its needed both for your initial building and firewood. Expand too fast and you'll freeze to death etc etc.

How rigid is that 'can only collect food from old growth forests' restriction? I am trying to keep a lot of pristine forest around my settlement for gatherers and cut lumber elsewhere. Am not sure how long it takes for forests you've planted to become 'old growth'.

Guess I will figure it out in time. There is certainly plenty of time to much around with things in this game!

Here's a good video about Old Growth forests etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbaMBm5UzQ

Shahadan

My villagers also have weird morals. Two of them were alone in separate homes and instead of moving with each other and make some babies, they invited 10 year olds of the opposite sex to move in with them :x
Waiting for a child to pop at the moment.

Edit: Adalupe gave birth at 11. For shame, Enning ! You were 36.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What the hell, I entered my key on Steam but it says the game's not out yet so I can't download it.

It will be released in 2 - 3 hours.
Steam doesn't allow you download it until it's officially released on the store.

I was just about to ask if that worked or not. Now I might as well wait another 2 or 3 hours.

If you buy it through his website you will get a DRM free version along with a Steam key.

flowsnake

I don't understand why that happens, but it almost always does. Valve doing a bad currency conversion? Extra taxes included?

Bedlam

I had an eye on this for a while but almost forgot that it comes out today. Yay!

Bought it on GOG for $20 (because I want to support that service, too).

KiraFA37

"Nara the forester died child birth", after several false starts this is the first game I'm doing decent and she is my first dead... Game is pretty good, curious to see what the developer plans to do further down the road and especially the modders.

spirity

Well into year 6 and nothing bad has happened, yet. I've had someone die during child birth too, but its been my only casualty. Can a herbalist or something help prevent that, or is it just a random occurrence?

I've been psyched for this game for a while so I will purchase it when I get home. Can't wait to play it. I've wanted a city building sim for a long time, and after the Sim City debacle this seems like it will cure my craving.

Well into year 6 and nothing bad has happened, yet. I've had someone die during child birth too, but its been my only casualty. Can a herbalist or something help prevent that, or is it just a random occurrence?

Maybe a doctor can prevent it?

It may just be a random, unstoppable thing though. Thanks to people being interchangeable it doesn't really matter though.

spirity

Maybe a doctor can prevent it?

It may just be a random, unstoppable thing though. Thanks to people being interchangeable it doesn't really matter though.

There's no doctor as such, but there are physicians who work at hospitals to take care of diseases. I guess it probably is just a random occurrence.

Shahadan

*year 12, still max health and happiness despite doing nothing*
"oh this game is pretty easy and my food reserves are steayd, nothing bad can happen!"

2 years later starvation took out half my population and I'm in a hard place.

Gothos

Question: do I need to buy something else first before I can have animals in my Pasture? I build it and it simply doesn't work. I can't select any animal to have it there and when I assign job to it the person who's supposed to do it is marked as person without job. The heck?

addik

Death by childbirth seems to be a random thing so far... nothing can seem to completely stop it.

Speaking of which, I finally got to play this for like an hour (after waiting for 3 hours for a 100 MB file to download, my internet was pretty slow). My first impression was that this was going to be probably as tough as SimCity 4, there is so much stuff to micromanage. It's also difficult to have an aesthetically pleasing town and still be very efficient. I might redo my town tomorrow because I am not liking its look. LOL

Wish I could play some more, but I'm practically tired (exams the entire day, plus editing side job). I don't have anything going for the particular week aside from my editing job (which I'm almost done with), so might as well hit the sack and just continue playing tomorrow.

Question: do I need to buy something else first before I can have animals in my Pasture? I build it and it simply doesn't work. I can't select any animal to have it there and when I assign job to it the person who's supposed to do it is marked as person without job. The heck?

On some difficulty levels you start without any cows or sheep---if you don't you will have to get them by building a trading post and getting it from a trader.

And when you do have them a circle should appear above the field that will let you add them to the pasture.

You need to trade for animals first if you don't have them.

SumGamer

God, why does it take s long to farm cabbages. Half of my village starved to death. I must be doing something wrong as well, my population seems to grow at a very slow rate making assigning jobs hard. The population was 15/0/7 before I decided to nuke this town.

Death by childbirth seems to be a random thing so far... nothing can seem to completely stop it.

Speaking of which, I finally got to play this for like an hour (after waiting for 3 hours for a 100 MB file to download, my internet was pretty slow). My first impression was that this was going to be probably as tough as SimCity 4, there is so much stuff to micromanage. It's also difficult to have an aesthetically pleasing town and still be very efficient. I might redo my town tomorrow because I am not liking its look. LOL

Wish I could play some more, but I'm practically tired (exams the entire day, plus editing side job). I don't have anything going for the particular week aside from my editing job (which I'm almost done with), so might as well hit the sack and just continue playing tomorrow.

Yep, I said fuck it, I'm building my farm right in the middle of my planned town. Later I'll remove it and put stuff like a town hall/market there.

I would suggest building a farm and a fishing dock thing right away. Then get to work on the houses. After that, get woodchopping going for winter.

Anyone know the best % to begin harvesting?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
God, the 'click' sound in this game is one of the most satisfying things I've ever heard.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is this an official release or early access? Sorry if I missed it somewhere, I just skimmed over lunch.

It's the official release, there wasn't an early access period.

Bought my copy, now I'm just waiting to get out of work and rush home...

Can you edit the terrain or choose what type of land to play on (extra rivers, big lake, little water, etc...) Playing around with the land editor was my favorite part of Sim City 2000

Top Bottom