• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

The mods should make this game crazy.

Just astonishing that this was made by one guy. Wonder if he'll ever make expansions or DLC

God, why does it take s long to farm cabbages. Half of my village starved to death. I must be doing something wrong as well, my population seems to grow at a very slow rate making assigning jobs hard. The population was 15/0/7 before I decided to nuke this town.

Making a hunting lodge and gathering hut in the woods as well to supplement the farmed goods helps a lot.

And the only way to grow the town is to make new empty houses for people to move out of their parents house into, find a mate and then make more children.

KiraFA37

God, why does it take s long to farm cabbages. Half of my village starved to death. I must be doing something wrong as well, my population seems to grow at a very slow rate making assigning jobs hard. The population was 15/0/7 before I decided to nuke this town.

If you mean at the beginning, don't start with farming. Start with a forester lodge, gathers hut and hunting cabin. Forester to have a reliable income of wood and the other for a direct income of food. Farming isn't that handy to start with since it takes time to grow crop and in my opinion there isn't enough time since you need food AND housing AND firewood to survive the winter. I'm on my first serious game and I'm only starting to farm 10 years into my settlement.

Edit: Banished.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Can you edit the terrain or choose what type of land to play on (extra rivers, big lake, little water, etc...) Playing around with the land editor was my favorite part of Sim City 2000

I believe so, but I could be wrong.

The mods should make this game crazy.

Just astonishing that this was made by one guy. Wonder if he'll ever make expansions or DLC

He answered these questions in his AMA he did awhile ago and also on his DevLog.
There won't be mods off the bat, and expansions/DLC are possible. He has no plans for them at the moment though.

His focus has been to get this game polished and out the door. Extra stuff like mods and DLC were not his immediate goal. This is one man we are talking about, not a whole team.

Copenap

Because there was the question earlier, here are the minimum requirements from steam.

Minimum:
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible card (shader model 2)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 250 MB available space
Sound Card: Any

Granadier

FYI, this game will run 50-60 fps on integrated HD 4000 graphics.
Just lower the shadows or turn them off if you get frame dips.
The panning FPS isn't great, but it's more than playable.

Granadier

I bought the game from the dev, but how do you activate it? Are you supposed to receive a mail or something?

You should have an email from Humble Bundle with a link to the DRM version along with a Steam key.
This is also accessible from your Humble account.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Still no email, has been 20 min.

It's an issue with Humble Bundle, they got swamped in the past few hours with their new awesome bundle of the week. People aren't getting the humble link emails in a timely manner right now because their system is overloaded. I just bought their new bundle of the week and I haven't gotten my download email for that yet either. So you aren't alone. Banished just seems to be a casualty of the new bundle frenzy, if you bought it from the Shining Rock site.

Your email should come soon, I just have no idea "how" soon.

Skinpop

I got mine basically instantly last night. Either their backed up or maybe it's stuck in your spam folder?

Checked spam folder and all that. Sent Humble Bundle an email about 15-20 min ago but I guess it could take days to get an answer..

From amazons end payment is completed and successful. Didn't have a humble bundle account, although I created one now(have bought from them before though).

It's an issue with Humble Bundle, they got swamped in the past few hours with their new awesome bundle of the week. People aren't getting the humble link emails in a timely manner right now because their system is overloaded. I just bought their new bundle of the week and I haven't gotten my download email for that yet either. So you aren't alone. Banished just seems to be a casualty of the new bundle frenzy, if you bought it from the Shining Rock site.

Your email should come soon, I just have no idea "how" soon.
Alright, I suspected something like that. Thanks for the info.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If you want to see how you do compared to others, r/banished is doing a seeded map where everyone is posting their progress. Pretty cool to check out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comments/1y8lon/1st_weekly_challenge_launch_edition_post_your/

That's a damn cool idea. I've done a few seed challenges with Minecraft before, they were always fun, but I think it would be great with Banished too.

I might just do this for my first town. We could even do something similar here on NeoGAF once everyone gets acclimated to the game more.

spirity

C3Ri69v.jpg

PrppmGY.jpg

9wHY4qT.jpg

And this is the town hall, which gives you various graphs that track resources, population etc.

Y2sUSmY.jpg

While alt+tabbing out for that last one, I had a fatal error and CTD'd. Hopefully that won't happen often...

SumGamer

Making a hunting lodge and gathering hut in the woods as well to supplement the farmed goods helps a lot.

And the only way to grow the town is to make new empty houses for people to move out of their parents house into, find a mate and then make more children.

That explains a lot. Thanks. I have been waiting for the people to start complaining about no place to live.

I start my new village doing just that. Running a small farm (5x5) and a gathering hut (which is a life saver I think). Then hunting lodge just banished my food problem. Doing fairly well this time having quite a bit of infrastructure in place. The only problem right now is I have to juggling population between wood cutter, tailor, tool as needed.

Here's my tiny village with school, market, bar in sight.
ivKScDx.jpg

Trading post and fishing.
d9uLbmu.jpg

And to solve the lacking of stone and iron. So far I don't think this game has polution effet of some sort and my villagers are still very happy about this. I find the distance between quarry and storage too far apart tho.
cTS0L2G.jpg

Now working toward more houses then hospital.

I don't quite know the mechanics or the size of it, but maybe a marketplace would be a good idea instead?

It'd be right inbetween the main part of town and the resource gatherers.

So how do you guys like it? Is it a lite game, or are the mechanics deep enough?

I know you can play forever, but does it offer a persistent goal/challenge?

creslin_black

Neo Member
Wouldn't it be cool if someone took basically this game, so a free-form city-builder, but then added in a historical element and combat?

Like for example, if this game were set during the French and Indian War and you sometimes had to scramble your villagers to grab muskets and repel Indian war parties and/or a column of colonial troops. There could also be an offensive element to it, as in larger governmental bodies whom you owe allegiance to might ask you for troops (a lot of classic city-builders already have a mechanic like that, think of Caesar III or any of that series of Sierra games), or you could command them yourself. Maybe there could even be a sort of RPG element to managing which villagers you'd send in war parties, and which ones you might want to set as commander of the skirmish force.

The Settlers series soort of does what I'm describing, though it's a little too anal about the resource-gathering bit and it's combat-lite.

dukeoflegs

I was looking forward to this game but I just got laid off from work. I have it on my wishlist on Steam so hopefully I can pick it up soon.

Shengar

The screenshot are great. Keep em' coming guys, though I hope for something more hilariously random if there is any :p

So how do you guys like it? Is it a lite game, or are the mechanics deep enough?

Hard to say what the longevity of it will be but I will say that I was late to work because I didn't want to stop playing it.

KiraFA37

Game runs really good, getting constant 30 or 60 FPS on a GTX650m. Just a little hint, NEVER run out of tools when having a large population. The game gives me some civilization vibes, but instead of one more turn it is one more winter I might survive. Now if you excuse me I need to prevent myself running out of firewood before it kills of my settlement.

Armaros

Game runs really good, getting constant 30 or 60 FPS on a GTX650m. Just a little hint, NEVER run out of tools when having a large population. The game gives me some civilization vibes, but instead of one more turn it is one more winter I might survive. Now if you excuse me I need to prevent myself running out of firewood before it kills of my settlement.

I've been trapped in a long playthrough of Fall from Heaven and now this game shows up.

*shakes fist at the PC gods* Why must you steal all of my time!

Hard is really hard. Health goes down constantly, you don't start with seeds or livestock, constantly running out of resources, shit breaking. I actually stopped building houses so my people wouldn't make so many mouths to feed.

Thinking of starting over and reading some tips. I got to about year 8 and I couldn't sustain myself.

Saganator

Really digging this so far, its right up my alley so that was pretty much a given. I started out on Medium, but I wanted more of a challenge so I bumped it up to hard. I got to year 10 with about 30 adults and 10'ish kids, thought I was doing pretty well, just built a mine and quarry, and then everything tanked. Couldn't keep up with food production or firewood. I gave up once I was down to about 15 adults, about to start a new game. I think what killed me was lack of school for too long, I'm not too sure. Education effects productivity, and you start out with some educated adults, so your beginning productivity is decent. I think most or all of my original educated adults died off to old age, which lowered my productivity overall and I just wasn't able to keep up and sustain.

I made a pasture but I have no animals, what do I have to do again to get cows or sheep or whatever? In the tutorial they just gave me sheep.

I bet this guy feels good about quitting his day job now. There are over 13,000 people currently playing

Damnnnnn. That's around a quarter million in sales!

Not sure how much Valve gets out of that, but that is sincerely impressive consider he gets the rest of the share.

All from one guy. Just unbelievable dedication and talent.

And to think this started off as some lame zombie game. So happy he took this direction

SumGamer

I don't quite know the mechanics or the size of it, but maybe a marketplace would be a good idea instead?

It'd be right inbetween the main part of town and the resource gatherers.

Yeah I'm still not quite sure what the market does. When I built it many of my stockpile got carried to the market. If the market act as a better stockpile then why it need the worker to work in it?

I made a pasture but I have no animals, what do I have to do again to get cows or sheep or whatever? In the tutorial they just gave me sheep.

You have to trade animal with merchant for that.

Loving it so far. The mechanic is a bit on the simple side once you get a hang of it. There are achievement to shoot for if you want but not real objective in the game. If you want that reddit challenge sounds right up your alley.

hythloday

I got to year 10 with about 30 adults and 10'ish kids, thought I was doing pretty well, just built a mine and quarry, and then everything tanked. Couldn't keep up with food production or firewood. I gave up once I was down to about 15 adults, about to start a new game. I think what killed me was lack of school for too long, I'm not too sure. Education effects productivity, and you start out with some educated adults, so your beginning productivity is decent. I think most or all of my original educated adults died off to old age, which lowered my productivity overall and I just wasn't able to keep up and sustain.

That's about what happened to me. I was chugging along, hadn't even finished building a mine yet, then suddenly everyone's hungry or dead. Although you lasted longer than I did.

I played this on and off tonight, and I am really, really impressed.

I am glad I added an extra $5.00 when I purchased the game from the developer. Tomorrow I'm going to spend some more time learning what stuff does (I never have much patience for tutorials beyond the absolute basics).

This game sounds awesome.

And that's how you write a thread title, btw. I went from no knowledge of this project to interested thanks to the description.

Ok, if you want to do really well. Skip fishing and crops at the start. Go for hunting and gathering. Also, don't expand too fast with the housing or you will starve. You can control the population if you don't make houses for all the kids, expand slowly.

Hot for teacher.

Top Bottom