• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

Echoplx

There's a folder in the Steam version called "drm" that has the two game executables in it with slightly different file sizes, they don't seem to be in use when running the game so not sure what it means.

Jintor

It really is like playing Dwarf Fortress all over again in some respects

So I don't like wasting space so I've been putting small fields and orchards around... but I think that might ultimately be kind of inefficient since I can't rotate farmers between small plots. Wish there was some other stuff I could put in, just aesthetic stuff. Whelp, wait for mod tools I guess.

KiraFA37

Reaching 400 settlers, started some large constructions works, thinking this game is fun, pretty addictive and winters starts when suddenly TORNADO. Lost over 50 settlers and my first expansion lies in ruins, thank god I have 10k food and 1.2k of firewood otherwise I would be having a hard time. Time to fix the damage.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/5avf7cj.png

By the way, that Reddit AMA just said that he wasn't using any DRM that would destroy optical devices. He in no way stated that he wasn't using any DRM.

Banished is DRM free except for the Steam version, which uses Steam as DRM. For some reason that German storefront page is incorrect.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Looks like there's plenty of space to build in. This evening will be dedicated to olympic hockey and Banished!

The large map is huge, my goal is to build a town that fills an entire large map, but dear Lord that is going to be one HUGE town. And it's going to take forever. But that's good, I like a challenge. After an entire night of playing my village is only up to about 70 people. I want to grow faster, but I need more food sources first. And another forester lodge, my firewood supplies keep trending low by the end of each winter.

Fuz

Banned
My village was going pretty well, my citizen had food, shelter and happines...

...then they stopped fucking.

No more children in my village.
WHY YOU NO LIKE SEX?

Also, my mine seems to produce iron instead of stone... weird.

Fun game, tho.

Jintor

Quarries make stone, not mines.

SettleRs need their own houses to breed in. No shagging in the boarding house or in the parents houses.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How do you put out fires? Ironically in my 9th year, with things a booming, raking in crazy amounts of food, my mine and quarry doing OK but not great though, only had like 4 people on each, but everything else doing quite well one of my houses caught fire. The one right next to the well... And then the house next to it caught fight, and the trading post, then the next house and the next, and then the market, and then the school house.

And then they all burned down and the fire stopped. Which is a miracle since I have a very tight town center and I could have easily also lost my main barn, seamstress, blacksmith and woodcutter and another house or two and it was early autumn.

Also yeah I have a child shortage for real. I just built 6 new houses but I think it might be too late for my town since most people are 40+ at this point and I only have like 5 kids.

Orgun

How do you put out fires? Ironically in my 9th year, with things a booming, raking in crazy amounts of food, my mine and quarry doing OK but not great though, only had like 4 people on each, but everything else doing quite well one of my houses caught fire. The one right next to the well... And then the house next to it caught fight, and the trading post, then the next house and the next, and then the market, and then the school house.

And then they all burned down and the fire stopped. Which is a miracle since I have a very tight town center and I could have easily also lost my main barn, seamstress, blacksmith and woodcutter and another house or two and it was early autumn.

Also yeah I have a child shortage for real. I just built 6 new houses but I think it might be too late for my town since most people are 40+ at this point and I only have like 5 kids.

I think you need a Well to fight fires.

Mengy

WHY YOU NO LIKE SEX?

Fun game, tho.

Mines can produce either iron or coal, but you need to build quarries in order to harvest stone from underground. They both require lots of workers to make anything worthwhile though, so in the beginning it seems much better to just strip the surface stone and iron completely away in the immediate areas.

With the lack of children in a village, yeah you need housing space for families to move in to and have children or they will just live at home in a full house until they get too old to have kids. And if it gets exaggerated too much then you can find yourself in a position of having a very elderly town where everyone is too old to have kids.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, I meant quarry, sorry.
But there was no stone exiting that place, while iron kept going up insanely.

I had to kill them all. It was a merciful act.

Jintor

This game makes me miss the old black and white days of picking up villagers and flinging them at things.

Or setting them on fire and flinging them at things.

Or feeding them to my creature.

addik

So I had so much blast with Banished today! (Thank god, I had the day off)

I decided to start a new game with Medium setting today. I didn't like the idea of starting with many more families, but I liked the fact that it came with a Storage Barn and a Stockpile, so that sort of helped me with doing the lay-out of the city.

I'm still trying to balance efficiency and aesthetics, but the more I play the more I am able to balance the both. I still made a lot of mistakes here and there though.

Spring 6:
LeompJX.jpg
I found out that orchards are a good way of making your town look aesthetically pleasing, so I decided to place that just in front of the houses by the quarry to make the site look less ugly.

I also placed some by my Trading Outpost:

I still don't have a lot of seeds in my bank so I've been waiting up/saving up for some more seeds.

EDIT: Holy shit, this is number 1 in Steam? Good job, Luke!

He should really thank EA for fuhing up SimCity as he got a lot of coverage from SimCity reddit last year

He did a pretty excellent job getting the game into the hands of a bunch of different youtube people as well. Quill's and Arumba's playthroughs practically sold me on the game and I'm glad they did as I love it so far.

Mengy

EDIT: Holy shit, this is number 1 in Steam? Good job, Luke!

Yeah, I knew the game was going to sell decent but I'm glad it's doing as good as it is. It's well deserved, as the game is fantastic. My new region in Simcity 4 is going to have to sit idle for a long time I'm afraid, as this game completely scratches that city building itch that only SC4 has been able to satisfy for many years now.

Lach

Wow this game is addicting...It's like a small scale (not in a negative way), much more challenging Anno/Age of Discovery.

My first town is doing got so far (only second winter) and I'm slowly expanding. Can someone tell me how long it takes for a child to grow up?

addik

Yeah, I knew the game was going to sell decent but I'm glad it's doing as good as it is. It's well deserved, as the game is fantastic. My new region in Simcity 4 is going to have to sit idle for a long time I'm afraid, as this game completely scratches that city building itch that only SC4 has been able to satisfy for many years now.

I always thought it would sell as much, but over a long period through word of mouth. Apparently, this was well-known enough to actually make it number 1 to Steam. I hope that the momentum will continue and this will be considered a classic.

Yep, Luke has to thank EA for fucking up SimCity. If Maxis had not screwed up SimCity, this wouldn't have been as popular. Also, the fact that only one guy made this was already marketable enough. I wouldn't normally buy this game at launch, but I did because I just wanted to support Luke.

In other good news, Luke can probably hire a few more artists/developers in to his team!

DrBo42

The freezing to death mechanic frustrates the hell out of me. Until I have warm enough clothes what am I supposed to do? Unassign everyone from their job until the winter passes? My village survived 3 or so years and then one Winter every single person froze to death. Wat.

Slacker

The freezing to death mechanic frustrates the hell out of me. Until I have warm enough clothes what am I supposed to do? Unassign everyone from their job until the winter passes? My village survived 3 or so years and then one Winter every single person froze to death. Wat.

Were you producing firewood? If I understand the mechanic properly, lack of coats make your workers less productive as they have to come in out of the cold after a short time, while lack of firewood causes them to eventually freeze to death.

Damn.
What an amazing compliment.
I wish as much success for Luke as Dean Hall has seen.
Rocket is really great for the community. He pretty much never stops complimenting other devs on their work.

And agreed, I hope this is working out well for Luke. Almost 17,000 people playing on Steam right now, and I'm sure there were at least a couple thousand sales through the humble store or wherever else. I really hope he makes enough money to keep designing full time, as he's obviously got a knack for it.

A friend of mine joked about me and this game via trillian '"c3 now owns Banished" in 3, 2, 1...' - I checked out the Store Page - Damn, he was right :D
Will try asap, weekend is not too far away. This is really looking good. I'm happy I Luke is on the top @ Steam right now.

Drazgul

Were you producing firewood? If I understand the mechanic properly, lack of coats make your workers less productive as they have to come in out of the cold after a short time, while lack of firewood causes them to eventually freeze to death.

That's exactly right - clothing means you stay warmer for longer, but you will need firewood either way.

Jintor

Don't know if this is practically useful or not, but it'd be nice if you could control what goes into a stockpile, Dorf Fortress style. I'd like the stockpiles around the woodcutter to have input/output or something...

You must have extra houses for them to form family units and they shouldn't be too old.

WHY YOU NO LIKE SEX?

Fun game, tho.

KiraFA37

Ah, I think you guys are right. I might have stopped firewood production to build some things. Damn...

Two things to check before winter: do I have enough firewood and do I have enough food to survive for the rest of my life? If not change priority to these. Also tools improve the efficiency of work, I literally went from doing well to barely surviving winter due to having no tools available.

So I had people gathering stone, and now for some reason every person in the village just about has this stone tool icon over their heads. Like people with other jobs like fishermen, hunters etc. Anyone know what I can do to get rid of that icon, its very annoying.

OUhSaMf.jpg

mus6677

So I had people gathering stone, and now for some reason every person in the village just about has this stone tool icon over their heads. Like people with other jobs like fishermen, hunters etc. Anyone know what I can do to get rid of that icon, its very annoying.

OUhSaMf.jpg

You're out of tool, which will make your villager less productive working without tool. Build a blacksmith to produce tools (iron tool = log + iron)

Jintor

Also, if anyone is using multiple monitors, the borders don't appear to actually be fixed properly so the mouse can just move straight out of the screen. It's not game breaking or anything (though it stops mouse map scrolling) but it is a little irritating.

I might try a hard large map and see how far I get. I think I have some better ideas...

Chili

Also, if anyone is using multiple monitors, the borders don't appear to actually be fixed properly so the mouse can just move straight out of the screen. It's not game breaking or anything (though it stops mouse map scrolling) but it is a little irritating.

If you go into options and select 'Clip mouse to window' it should solve this.

Jintor

If you go into options and select 'Clip mouse to window' it should solve this.

Oh, rad. If you start the game with the mouse off-monitor it refuses to recognise it, but you can solve that by alt-tabbing out.

Also, the town on the main menu is your town! That's sweet.

I'm really glad that I decided to put down a Town Hall, all that additional information regarding production is so useful.

This is a great game, and it boggles my mind that it was all made by one person.

Jintor

I can't tell if stuff is being stockpiled at a job-producing location (eg gatherer's hut) or not. I think it is, and then labourers come to take it back to the stockpile or not, but that doesn't seem true for some things, e.g. quarries. Anyone got any ideas?

Rubixcuba

Banned
I can't tell if stuff is being stockpiled at a job-producing location (eg gatherer's hut) or not. I think it is, and then labourers come to take it back to the stockpile or not, but that doesn't seem true for some things, e.g. quarries. Anyone got any ideas?

Can't speak for quarries but at mines they leave the resource outside then carry it to the stockpile place.

You're royally screwed - time to restart.

I did some visual comparison of working with a tool and without. A guy with a tool cuts down a tree in two cuts. A guy without a tool takes a dozen cuts.

Your entire village is now working at 1/6th normal output. Even if it's not a clean transition to other trades, it's a safe bet working tool-less is at LEAST 1/4th as effectively, and more likely 1/5th.

The two problems I have with this game are housing and food consumption, and it probably goes without saying.

1. Large maps are useless at the moment because you can't control where your people live. The only efficient way to handle late game housing is to put a large residential cluster in the center, serviced by a well-staffed market, and radiate outwards. If you try to expand too far in any one direction you're going to hit a productivity wall as your people spend too much time walking back and forth. Stone roads mitigate the travel time, while steel tools and leather jackets reduce the time you're guys spend walking back, but you still hit that wall.

2. Food consumption is just insane. These people are consuming absolutely monstrous quantities of everything. The game should be billed as a starvation simulator with how these people consume.

Jintor

Kids getting jobs as soon as they hit 10 (if you don't have a school) is pretty amusing. My town's only blacksmith is a 13-year-old girl

Jintor

On the downside, the 10-year-old and the 13-year-old living together just outside of town just had their first baby. :T

CzarTim

When jobs reach the production limit or run out of mats, do the workers act as labourers until they're needed or do they just kind of fuck around? How much should I be micromanaging that stuff?

Top Bottom