• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon fired / resigns; friends report plans to go to "war for WH"

JettDash

A decision is imminent from White House chief of staff John Kelly on whether Steve Bannon will keep his job, according to administration officials with knowledge of the situation:

Bannon, who has run afoul of Trump in the past, is now suspected by the president of leaking about his West Wing colleagues. And Trump resents the publicity Bannon has been getting as mastermind of the campaign.

Many West Wing officials are now asking "when," not "if," Bannon goes.

Chief of Staff General John Kelly has been reviewing Bannon's position.

A recent deluge of media coverage of Bannon — including Bannon's explosive conversation with the American Prospect — have not escaped either the president's or Kelly's attention.

One White House source twists the knife: "His departure may seem turbulent in the media, but inside it will be very smooth. He has no projects or responsibilities to hand off."

https://www.axios.com/white-house-review-nears-end-officials-expect-bannon-firing-2474443198.html

I mean, isn't Kelly more responsible for this mess? He was supposed to bring order to White House. Seems like Trump walked all over him with his freewheeling press conference and those ridiculous tweets. Bannon needs to go, but he's not responsible for Trump watching Fox News and repeating White Supremacists talking points.

JettDash

I mean, isn't Kelly more responsible for this mess? He was supposed to bring order to White House. Seems like Trump walked all over him with his freewheeling press conference and those ridiculous tweets. Bannon needs to go, but he's not responsible for Trump watching Fox News and repeating White Supremacists talking points.

Nobody can control the orange turd. Which is why it was dumb for Kelly to take the job.

Kellyanne probably has more sway with Trump than General Kelly.

jtb

Banned

Kelly is a true believer. He cares more about his image and consolidating what little power he has more than the noxious ideologies of Trump's lackeys.

Nobody can control the orange turd. Which is why it was dumb for Kelly to take the job.

If he can accomplish a few virulently racist policy outcomes on the job, it will have been worth it for him.

Fury451

Banned

True but I'd rather have someone like Kelly than someone like Mooch or Reince.

Trump may not listen to him but he at least seems to have a semblance of a soul and probably doesn't want us all to die in a horrible world-ending nuclear fire because of a loudmouth buffoon.

Kelly is a true believer. He cares more about his image and consolidating what little power he has more than the noxious ideologies of Trump's lackeys.

Got some info that would elaborate on this? Don't mean to sound confrontational, genuinely curious as to where that might be deduced from.

JettDash

If he can accomplish a few virulently racist policy outcomes on the job, it will have been worth it for him.

You think so? I kinda assumed that Kelly was a decent guy. Though maybe my dad being a military officer biased me.

It's not Kelly's fault the President is uncontrollable. He's Chief of Staff, not President's Babysitter. Bannon's not getting canned for Racism Week. Trump is mad he gets so much attention and he leaks to the press constantly.

andymcc

Banned
If he was willing to leak from within the White House imagine what it he'll do from the outside.

Yep. If he's fired, I expect lots of Bannon trying to unite the right against Trump. Dude is petty, vindictive and will try to fuck anyone over that slights him-- just like Trump.

WhatNXt

The question is:

does he get a decorous exit - "Mr Bannon is a good guy" type shit -

or will he actually distance himself from him?

If he genuinely does the latter and the split isn't amicable, that would be the best, because we'd maybe then get a certain section of the bat-shit media turning on Trump too.

For me as someone that lives in Europe, the only things I hear from the US government is people getting fired, Trump saying dumb shit and more people getting fired.

Aren't they supposed to, you know, try get shit done? Did they start building that dumb wall yet? Or re-open those coal mines?

Kelley seems to be doing a good job, but unfortunately Trump destroys everything he touches. House of Cards sure has had an impact on this white house though.

Fury451

Banned
The question is:

does he get a decorous exit - "Mr Bannon is a good guy" type shit -

or will he actually distance himself from him?

If he genuinely does the latter and the split isn't amicable, that would be the best, because we'd maybe then get a certain section of the bat-shit media turning on Trump too.

"We mutually decided to end the relationship"

And Bannon just landed on a chute space.

k3Sbml.gif

Lunar15

If/when he gets fired, the press should run articles basically goading Trump into leaking all the terrible shit Bannon said in order to justify why he fired him. Basically, all the press has to do is run opinion pieces titled "Why Trump Is Rudderless Without Bannon", and the shit will start flowing.

Trump is outrageously easy to manipulate. If we push hard enough, we can probably get stuff on Bannon people could use for decades.

Kelly is responsible for Trump's mess? Trump is Trump. He's a 71 year old bigot, racist and accused rapist with a nasty and untreatable mental disorder. No one is going to control or change him one iota. The country fucked itself electing this obese fuckwit and the obese fuckwit fucked everyone back.

BajiBoxer

Banned
All the problems are caused by Trump himself. Kelly probably views Bannon as a thorn in his side and is using Trump's ego to axe him. Bannon getting so much credit for Trump's win and strategies burns him up. Bannon is often seen as mastermind with Trump being his tool. Not something Trump would be a big fan of.

Slayven

Who is loyal? I mean unless your last name is Kushner your position depends on a senile man having a good or bad day

Beartruck

For me as someone that lives in Europe, the only things I hear from the US government is people getting fired, Trump saying dumb shit and more people getting fired.

Aren't they supposed to, you know, try get shit done? Did they start building that dumb wall yet? Or re-open those coal mines?
The government has started seizing land for the wall, but it will never get finished. Theyll toss up a few extra fences and call it a day. Coal is super fucking dead and Trump can't save it. Fracking has made natural gas king in this country.

BriGuy

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Bannon's publicity is what's grinding Trump's gears the most. Every time Trump is asked about him, he makes a point to mention that Bannon was brought on late. Whatever the pretense, firing that fat dick is good for the country. Watching the far right begin to turn on Trump will be a nice bonus too.

JettDash

Kelly is responsible for Trump's mess? Trump is Trump. He's a 71 year old bigot, racist and accused rapist with a nasty and untreatable mental disorder. No one is going to control or change him one iota. The country fucked itself electing this obese fuckwit and the obese fuckwit fucked everyone back.

Kelly did take the job.

Though I still kinda think he did it to make Trump's presidency less disastrous.

BajiBoxer

Banned
You think so? I kinda assumed that Kelly was a decent guy. Though maybe my dad being a military officer biased me.
Maybe you're confusing him with Mattis or McMaster? I forget which one was forced into his position due to being an active service member.

Top Bottom