• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Asylum/City Remaster (Rumor)

Cleve

Man, even as someone who's defended remastered Last of Us for reaching a new audience and wants a remastered Dragon's Dogma that doesn't stutter this seems pointless. Both Batman games were available across all the major players and didn't have any technological issues for any of them.

At least I imagine this is a pretty quick port that won't take a lot of development resources. It being out there doesn't hurt me in any way, it's just a little disappointing.

cluderi

I loved the Batman games that much that even though I own all 3 on ps3 I'd still double dip on ps4.

Guess I'm part of the problem
and loving it

I like playing games regardless of what system they originally released for. I hope every PS3/360 game gets a remaster. I know they won't, but it would only increase my gaming library.

My number one most desired update to the PS4 is support for PS1 and PS2 games. I, like most gamers I imagine, do not get to play every good game that comes out during a given console's life cycle, and I'm always happy to have the opportunity to go back and play games that I missed out on.

I certainly understand and agree with the frustration at relatively unimpressive up-ports and high initial pricing, especially compared to some of the great bargains that were offered on PS3, however the price eventually comes down and as a consumer I am free to pick up the game when it reaches a price point that I consider compelling.

I won't get Saints Row 4 or God of War 3 or even these Batman games at a steep initial price, but I will probably get them when they cost less than $20 down the road.

Could Arkham Knight's summer release make possible for a GOTY Edition to be released by the holidays? If they are going to produce remastered versions of the Asylum and City, last holiday season was the time to do so. Short of diehard fans, I don;t see alot of people double dipping now with Arkham Knight preparing to drop. I suppose once the novelty settles, people could opt for them on the ps4, but I think buying all three complete versions of the game would be the best possible way to market them if Rocksteady wants to persuade consumers to buy games they may already own.

I'd say next year is the most likely timeslot for a game of the year edition.

At least I imagine this is a pretty quick port that won't take a lot of development resources. It being out there doesn't hurt me in any way, it's just a little disappointing.

I'm thinking the same thing. After all they've apparently made one other game in the tail end of the PS2 days - maybe remastering AA and AC will help them fund whatever their next non-Batman) project is...

Angelcurio

I already own both Rocksteady Arkham games on PS3, but after seeing some footage of the Pc version running at 60fps, I would be really interested in a current gen port if it runs at That same framerate.

Freiya

Worthwhile releases in March: Cities: Skylines, Bloodborne, Codename Steam, Pillars of Eternity, Ori and the Blind Forest, new episodes of RE Revelations 2, Life is Strange and Dreamfall Chapters. It seems like there's plenty of new content coming out.

What about for us people who don't care about indie games? The only game you listed that means anything to me is bloodbourne. This gen has been the worse imo.

I'm all for this, just upset that origins is being excluded. It could use the most help out of all the Batman games in terms of debugging and stabilizing the frame rate. That game was REALLY really good, especially the Red Hood part. Incredible.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Could Arkham Knight's summer release make possible for a GOTY Edition to be released by the holidays? If they are going to produce remastered versions of the Asylum and City, last holiday season was the time to do so. Short of diehard fans, I don;t see alot of people double dipping now with Arkham Knight preparing to drop. I suppose once the novelty settles, people could opt for them on the ps4, but I think buying all three complete versions of the game would be the best possible way to market them if Rocksteady wants to persuade consumers to buy games they may already own.
Yeah, it makes no sense to release these games after Arkham Knight.

HardRojo

I didn't like Origins at first but it grew on me during my second playthrough. They should include it in this Remastered collection :/

KillySG10

Neo Member
Im pretty fine with remasters of xbox/gamecube/ps2-era games, but all these ps3/x360 games getting remasters is a bit much...i mean they feel so recent, it just seems kinda cheap, rather than spending time on new stuff, re-release stuff thats barely able to be called last gen...

What about for us people who don't care about indie games? The only game you listed that means anything to me is bloodbourne. This gen has been the worse imo.
What to you is an indie game and what's wrong with them that makes you disinterested? Some of the games that were quoted are some of the best to come out so far this year.

JaseMath

"I'm not fucking buying that."

My legit first reaction. Remasters of previous gen games need to die a horrible, horrible death.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ or don't buy them. Then you can honestly say you didn't contribute to funding new titles you desperately beg for.

Im pretty fine with remasters of xbox/gamecube/ps2-era games, but all these ps3/x360 games getting remasters is a bit much...i mean they feel so recent, it just seems kinda cheap, rather than spending time on new stuff, re-release stuff thats barely able to be called last gen...

Uh, remasters do not take away from new games. You actually think these developers have the money to be making other games in the time contracted porting studios are doing these ports?

The entire point of these is to actually have something to put out to begin with for development on new titles. If they werent putting out remasters, they would not be putting out new games.

If the complaints are now about remasters, i can't imagine the complaints about how barren the lineups would be without them. Some people need to get it through their heads that there arent anywhere near the developer studios there were to actually be making AAA games period.

And even if we were talking about Batman, there's a new game coming out in July, who exactly are you pointing the finger at to make more games in this situation?

Wensih

Shocking, reactionary GAF stays reactionary. Remasters aren't the end of the world and they don't need to die. They provide games with a longer shelf-life in brick-and-mortar stores; this benefits both developers/publishers and customers because developers/publishers can make their games have longer legs than the first 2 months of life and bring in new customers who didn't know or didn't purchase it the first time around. It's a great way to lead up to the release of your next big game.

I'm OK with this, except it will probably delay me from starting Knight until I finish them. I never finished Asylum and never played the others, so I was planning on doing that this summer before getting into it.

I guess I'm just weird then cos I love remasters and I've got loads of them for my X1. I'll definitely buy this collection day one, although it would have been better released before Arkham Knight.

^ or don't buy them. Then you can honestly say you didn't contribute to funding new titles you desperately beg for.

Whilst it's easier to not buy them than complain, it seems a little bit of a stretch to then shift blame for not funding these new games. We're certainly not obligated to buy remasters and if the company cannot survive without them it's also not my concern to keep them afloat. I helped fund them the first time I bought the games, why should I pay them a second time for the same product just because I want the next installment?

Wonder exactly HOW they'll be remastered.

If they're just bumped up to be like the PC versions with Physx and nicer performance, then I'll pass since I have them both on PC already.

But if they add any content or make them look like Arkham Knight then I'll be totally on board. I just hope that a PC version if them at that point isn't off the table.

There's no way they will overhaul them using whatever they learned along the way to making Arkham Knight. There were plenty of options and features that the PC versions could push that last gen consoles couldn't. I'll be extremely surprised if it's anything more than just the PC copy with a few bells and whistles turned down a bit.

Wonder exactly HOW they'll be remastered.

If they're just bumped up to be like the PC versions with Physx and nicer performance, then I'll pass since I have them both on PC already.

But if they add any content or make them look like Arkham Knight then I'll be totally on board. I just hope that a PC version if them at that point isn't off the table.

iiicon

Absolute Arkham is a great name for this.

This is something I'd be interested in during a sale. It's hard to justify $40 for two games that routinely sell for about $5 - GOTY versions at that.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'll buy if 1080/60. If not.. Get fucked. No origins and no increased framerate? Not even worth it.

If you're going to cash grab don't be lazy about it. Actually give a fuck.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My question is... when is this going to end? Remasters need to die a horrible death.
Are they doing this instead of a new game? No? Complain when new games aren't coming out. Be happy that they found a way to stay profitable and make new games.
Whilst it's easier to not buy them than complain, it seems a little bit of a stretch to then shift blame for not funding these new games. We're certainly not obligated to buy remasters and if the company cannot survive without them it's also not my concern to keep them afloat. I helped fund them the first time I bought the games, why should I pay them a second time for the same product just because I want the next installment?

There's no way they will overhaul them using whatever they learned along the way to making Arkham Knight. There were plenty of options and features that the PC versions could push that last gen consoles couldn't. I'll be extremely surprised if it's anything more than just the PC copy with a few bells and whistles turned down a bit.
Why do they rustle your jimmies? Why do you feel forced to buy them if you played them before on consoles or PC? Rent them? Let them make profit off people who haven't played them yet or want to play again. They are still releasing a new game.

gioGAF

A remaster. Not the remaster we deserved but the remaster we needed. Nothing less than a cash grab. Shining.

And yeah, no Origins makes sense since that game is trash.

robb_w7

Banned
Seriously? lol

I can already say with some certainty that the PC versions of the game ALREADY trump these "remasters" pftt

this gen of consoles are just remaster machines................

I'll buy if 1080/60. If not.. Get fucked. No origins and no increased framerate? Not even worth it.

If you're going to cash grab don't be lazy about it. Actually give a fuck.

Most UE3 remasters on current consoles have been 1080/60. Even on XB1.

I would be shocked if this didnt go for that.

quesalupa

Seriously? lol

I can already saw with some certainty that the PC versions of the game ALREADY trump these "remasters" pftt

this gen of consoles are just remaster machines................
Well it doesn't look like the remaster's coming out on PC so it would seem that this game will not be catering to that crowd. And yeah this gen is obviously just a remaster machine because they should have made two brand new Arkham games instead of wasting the immense amount of time it takes to make a remaster.

Absolute Arkham needs to be the name for the collection.

I'd be interested 100% if it included Origins because my PC's mobo got fritzed like halfway through that and I was enjoying it more than I expected...but tbh I'm not sure I'd jump at the chance to play Asylum + CIty w/DLC again. It's fun to replay once or twice but eh...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

No one is forcing you to buy anything. My point is dont complain about "where are all the new games!?" and then deny part of that process is about getting funding from these remasters via contracting to other developers.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
People are still crying about remasters?!

Oh no Blazing Saddles is on Blu-ray! What a waste, why not just watch it on VHS/DVD?! Mel Brooks could just make a new movie with that money!

To quote a character from one of my favorite movies "You no like? You no buy."

Top Bottom