• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Asylum/City Remaster (Rumor)

Why do they rustle your jimmies? Why do you feel forced to buy them if you played them before on consoles or PC? Rent them? Let them make profit off people who haven't played them yet or want to play again. They are still releasing a new game.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. My point is dont complain about "where are all the new games!?" and then deny part of that process is about getting funding from these remasters via contracting to other developers.

I never said anything about them bothering me, I was simply referring directly to the idea that by passing on the remaster we aren't helping to support them, when the support was already put out the first time we bought it. It's almost like trying to make you feel bad for not wanting to buy it twice.

Honestly I don't mind the remasters at all. Sure we get a lot of them but as you say they don't hold back development on the other titles, and more importantly for someone that could be the one game they really wanted a next gen version of and the next remaster may be the one I wanted.

chaosaeon

Arkham Asylum and City are available on the PC and are frequently cheaper than what the remasters will be. If they aren't something more akin to a full-on remake rather than just a up-rezzed port, a lot of people are going to personally consider them pointless.

If the rumors from that survey are true it claimed to have a lot of changes from models to lighting (maybe a Batman model without shoulders as wide as a doorway would be great). And yes, it needs things that are drastic otherwise there's no point, I'd say.

KillySG10

Neo Member
Uh, remasters do not take away from new games. You actually think these developers have the money to be making other games in the time contracted porting studios are doing these ports?

The entire point of these is to actually have something to put out to begin with for development on new titles. If they werent putting out remasters, they would not be putting out new games.

If the complaints are now about remasters, i can't imagine the complaints about how barren the lineups would be without them. Some people need to get it through their heads that there arent anywhere near the developer studios there were to actually be making AAA games period.

And even if we were talking about Batman, there's a new game coming out in July, who exactly are you pointing the finger at to make more games in this situation?
Who do you think pays the studios handling the ports? Large publishers that often rush out products that are bad, broken, or unfinished. You really think that if they didn't spend less money on cash-grabs, and more money on making a finished, polished product, that their consumers wouldn't have more confidence in them, and thus be willing to spend more money on their games?
And if your point is that consumers aren't patient, and just have to spend money as fast as they release these remasters, or other games to fill the void (looking at Origins here, not a bad game, does just exists as filler till Knight is released), how often have those releases been sub-par and made you feel you wasted your money waiting for a true successor/sequel to be released? Can you really say that by now people aren't willing to be patient?
And if its a choice of barren lineups against a lineup of mediocre releases, re-releases and rushed new games, well i know which i'd choose.

And just to point out, im not saying Arkham Knight is rushed, i cant make that judgement till i actually see if the game is relatively well polished...

Edit: and its not a new Batman game i'd expect, id expect Warner Brothers to be putting the funding they give for the remaster elsewhere, on other projects

MilesTeg

Banned
Honestly don't see the point of this releasing this year. Probably for next year when WB doesn't have anything Batman to release.

Isn't WB montreal rumoured to be working on a Suicide Squad game? I'd expect that next year alongside the movie

They are...and that would be a continuation of the Arkham-verse. You bet it'll have a fairly heavy Batman cameo just because even if the Suicide Squad name helps it sell a bit, the Batman name or appearance will probably help it sell a few million more.

The mods on the official Arkham forums are deleting any mention of the remasters, so chances are it's probably happening. Having said that, the English in the survey introduction is very poor, so I don't think it's real. And if it is... what the fuck is WB's justification for not making a PC version?

Warablo

Sucks it won't have the Origins. They should just wait and release the trilogy with Arkham Knight included in a year. With ALL DLC included of course.

Kezen

Banned
The mods on the official Arkham forums are deleting any mention of the remasters, so chances are it's probably happening. Having said that, the English in the survey introduction is very poor, so I don't think it's real. And if it is... what the fuck is WB's justification for not making a PC version?

If the differences with the PC version aren't big enough they won't bother.

As much as I love asylum it needs more then a 1080 60 port really, it's still a great game to play but you can feel that it's aged a fair bit, if they could add in better dynamic lights and shadows to bring the mood down more and then increase detail in places it would be amazing.

City seems to hold out a lot better but again it could benefit from some real nice updated lighting.

If the differences with the PC version aren't big enough they won't bother.

They don't sound like minor changes though. Then again, the "leak" looks really fake, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter what it says, and I think it'd be unlikely for WB to simply ignore the PC market.

Kezen

Banned
They don't sound like minor changes though. Then again, the "leak" looks really fake, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter what it says, and I think it'd be unlikely for WB to simply ignore the PC market.

I'm certainly not counting on them to release those updated games on PC, they can already be played at 1080p/60fps after all and two of them (City and Origins) sport DX11 effects and much better textures already.

I'd still expect those remasters to look better than the existing PC versions but as I said if the improvements are deemed not substantial enough by Warner Bros then they won't come out on PC, because it's hard to make people repay for those improvements.

Same reason why Square Enix didn't bother with TR Definitive Edition on PC (but strangely enough did release Sleeping Dogs DE on PC, go figure).

Neff

The grammar in that survey is awful. There is a chance it could have been put together carelessly by an agency, but it doesn't bode well for its legitimacy.

hao chi

I don't mind remasters, and I haven't played City yet even though I intend to and even have it from PS+, so normally I'd be interested in this, but I think I'll pass unless there's huge improvements to the game and just play the PS3 version.

I'd double dip if it included Origins. I actually really enjoyed Origins. I think the story was the best out of the three. Even if the combat was a little more janky than City. Still a solid game. I love when Batman punched the Penquin in the face while talking to him. Great stuff.

Megatron

Have they confirmed if dlc will be in this? I just finished arkham city and thought about buying the Harley's revenge dlc, but I think I'd rather put that $10 towards this.

Kind of a shame they didn't release this before Arkham Knight....

Gleethor

Have they confirmed if dlc will be in this? I just finished arkham city and thought about buying the Harley's revenge dlc, but I think I'd rather put that $10 towards this.

Kind of a shame they didn't release this before Arkham Knight....

The survey indicates that all DLC for both games will be included.

Hmm...that reminds me, I should replay Asylum before Knight comes out.

I'm currently doing that. It's still pretty awesome. Though from playing a lot of AC and Origins I find myself pressing a lot of button combinations for the quickfire gadgets and dropping the combo cause nothing happens. lol.

People are still crying about remasters?!

Oh no Blazing Saddles is on Blu-ray! What a waste, why not just watch it on VHS/DVD?! Mel Brooks could just make a new movie with that money!

To quote a character from one of my favorite movies "You no like? You no buy."

Did Blazing Saddles just come out within the last 5 years and are they going to charge $60 to own a slightly enhanced version? I agree with the 'don't like it don't buy it' mentality but your comparison was pretty dumb to be honest.

Personally, I'd get this when it dropped to around $20-$30 since the Arkham games were some of my favorites last generation and I don't have my 360 anymore.

They still haven't officially announced this yet. You'd think it would have come out before Arkham Knight.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/23/rumor-batman-arkham-collection-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4

It's reported that it's supposedly out for the holidays.

It's not like the Arkham Series was exclusive to a platform, it's been multi platform so everyone has had a chance to play it so it doesn't matter if its releasing afterwards but yeah you're right it would've made more sense to release it before.

Is this real yet?
Would honestly only want AA. AC was a let down and AO had some really jarring gameplay changes near the end. The bridge boss changed the game into semi-2D..? The story was great with no roided up Joker or revolving door of villains.

Also i think Batman worked better in smaller environments. AA benefited from a well designed, tight environment. It never felt like there was a waste of space, unlike the other two. Or maybe they needed more life in the open world. Hoping AK rectifies that.

Is this real yet?
Would honestly only want AA. AC and AO were a let down. AA benefited from a well designed, tight environment. It never felt like there was a waste of space, unlike the other two.

Don't think so, but hopefully.

I traded AA, and regret it. It's the best one, because it's so well paced and contained. Arkham City improves things in technical ways and is a masterpiece, too, but is just not as good.

AO was good.

Don't think so, but hopefully.

I traded AA, and regret it. It's the best one, because it's so well paced and contained. Arkham City improves things in technical ways and is a masterpiece, too, but is just not as good.

AO was good.

Yeah thankfully still have my launch copy of AA. I can remember praying it would be good in the months up to release. I was blown away when I finally experienced it. So good. That Croc fight in the sewers..

And AO showing Joker coming up was the best. I loved that game except for a few parts. Was better than City tbh. Although, AC had that Mr. Freeze fight.. Idk I think AC was trying to do too much with the story and became a mess. Also the world wasn't fun to explore.

So many people care way too much about a remaster. Obviously there's a pretty big audience for them. It sounds simple to me, if you don't care for it then don't buy it. How does having a remaster effect you negatively if you don't want it? It's like any other game that doesn't interest you.

I can understand being upset for not including origins.

People are still crying about remasters?!

Oh no Blazing Saddles is on Blu-ray! What a waste, why not just watch it on VHS/DVD?! Mel Brooks could just make a new movie with that money!

To quote a character from one of my favorite movies "You no like? You no buy."

Exactly, now they better remaster Mass Effect, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Demon Souls and Dead Space.

Defcon_2Fast4u

Neo Member
The age of remaster games needs to end.

I can see developers going back to video games that came out in the 90s, and remaking them completely, and I would be all for it.
But if we have already played these games in the last 5 to 10 years, then there isn't a need for them to release them. But it is cheaper for them to just render and update current games.

But the problem is that the developers really don't care, nor do the publishers. To them, it is more work, and money being put into their pockets. In the next 20 years they will continue to milk anything, and everything. They only care for themselves in the end. They want to make that money. So they will put anything and everything out there.

Now Arkham Origins is not part of the trilogy, it is developed by WB Montreal.

Red Hood

Banned
They should release it next year or the year after that and bundle it with Arkham Knight. "BATMAN: ARKHAM - THE ROCKSTEADY TRILOGY"

I can see developers going back to video games that came out in the 90s, and remaking them completely, and I would be all for it.
But if we have already played these games in the last 5 to 10 years, then there isn't a need for them to release them. But it is cheaper for them to just render and update current games.

But the problem is that the developers really don't care, nor do the publishers. To them, it is more work, and money being put into their pockets. In the next 20 years they will continue to milk anything, and everything. They only care for themselves in the end. They want to make that money. So they will put anything and everything out there.

Nah.

bebop242

I was watching my son play arkham city just yesterday and was thinking that it looked and ran pretty good for a PS3 game. Don't really see the need for this, especially after Arkham Knight.

Or you could, I don't know, just not buy them?

HardRojo

No thank you. Keep them going. It's not as if new games weren't being developed and released. Hey! Arkham Knight comes out this month

E3 announcement, Holiday release most likely.

Truth be told, after being one of the suckers who picked up AK's Season Pass, I'll have plenty of content to play in the Batman universe, I won't really want to run through AA and AC, especially since I just replayed them at 60fps, 1080p on my PC.

Arkham Asylum rekindled my interest in gaming in 2009.

I'm thrilled about the remaster. I hope it's equivalent to PC max settings (at the least) but I hope WB Montreal (?) is adding more visual pizazz. Arkham Knight is stunning.

I honestly have zero issue with remasters when they are first party remasters as the old adage goes these are good for those who missed out on either system.However when you have third party remasters i just wonder who missed out except for those who had no interest in the first place.

Top Bottom