• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Montresor

I finally finished the Natural Selection (Extreme) predator map.

Arkham-GAF: Is the Beat-Down (Cape Stun then mashing X) the only way to take down the armoured henchmen in the predator maps? And am I right in saying that it is impossible to do any kind of context sensitive Y-button takedown on these guys?

Anyway, my biggest problem with Natural Selection was the boom box medal.

And man, it seems like there are no good guides on the internet period for any of the predator maps. If you try to look up predator walkthroughs on youtube, every video is an obnoxious speed-run titled "walkthrough," rather than an actual hand-holding guide.

Arkham-GAF: Is the Beat-Down (Cape Stun then mashing X) the only way to take down the armoured henchmen in the predator maps? And am I right in saying that it is impossible to do any kind of context sensitive Y-button takedown on these guys?

And man, it seems like there are no good guides on the internet period for any of the predator maps. If you try to look up predator walkthroughs on youtube, every video is an obnoxious speed-run titled "walkthrough," rather than an actual hand-holding guide.

What's the boom box medal again?

As with the armored guys, you can freeze them, do one cape stun, and they will be unconscious, then do the take down.

Sonic Batarang works, as well as Batclaw pulling the guys over the ledge,

Montresor

What's the boom box medal again?

As with the armored guys, you can freeze them, do one cape stun, and they will be unconscious, then do the take down.

Sonic Batarang works, as well as Batclaw pulling the guys over the ledge,

"Use Explosive Gel to stun a henchman getting a weapon from a weapons crate."

I think it's a completely bogus description anyway. I've stunned a thug numerous times when he was fiddling inside the weapons crate and received no medal. I found out that you have to trigger the explosion right before he dips his hands into the crate.

"Use Explosive Gel to stun a henchman getting a weapon from a weapons crate."

I think it's a completely bogus description anyway. I've stunned a thug numerous times when he was fiddling inside the weapons crate and received no medal. I found out that you have to trigger the explosion right before he dips his hands into the crate.

Yea that one was getting on my nerves. I had difficulty as well, and I swear my timing was no off. I ended up just putting the gel on both crates since sometimes the enemy would run to the other crate than the one I set the gel on

IIRC, inverted takedowns, grate takedowns and ledge takedowns (inverted or not) work against them.
Knocking them off a railing (with the REC) works too. [/quote]

Yeah, shit description, you have to blow it before the guy grabs the gun.

Agreed. These videos can even be misleading because they rely on a specific astral alignment you'll miss if you're one second off.
Again, I'm pretty shit at Predator but I've somehow managed to do every Batman and Catwoman challenge so shoot away if you have questions about specific medals.

Montresor

IIRC, inverted takedowns, grate takedowns and ledge takedowns (inverted or not) work against them.
Knocking them off a railing (with the REC) works too.

That's great news. But wait - knocking them off a railing with the REC kills thugs (armoured or otherwise)?

Palette Swap said:
Agreed. These videos can even be misleading because they rely on a specific astral alignment you'll miss if you're one second off.
Again, I'm pretty shit at Predator but I've somehow managed to do every Batman and Catwoman challenge so shoot away if you have questions about specific medals.

=D How should I approach "The Lost City Extreme" and its final medal? I can do the first two medals very easily (Knock a thug down a railing using a boosted remote batarang AND complete the challenge without taking damage). I can't figure out how to line launch kick one guy and then, before falling down, line launch kick another guy.

This helped a ton in "End of the Line Extreme." God damn!

Rattles

=D How should I approach "The Lost City Extreme" and its final medal? I can do the first two medals very easily (Knock a thug down a railing using a boosted remote batarang AND complete the challenge without taking damage). I can't figure out how to line launch kick one guy and then, before falling down, line launch kick another guy.
Right at the start jump down onto the walk way, you can kick the guy walking clockwise and theres a dude standing to the right by the elevator entrance you can kick..

Montresor

Right at the start jump down onto the walk way, you can kick the guy walking clockwise and theres a dude standing to the right by the elevator entrance you can kick..

Sounds good - I'll try that. I was saving that medal for the end because I was so afraid I'd take damage if I tried to attempt it early on in the challenge.

The problem I was facing is whenever I had only two guys left, one of the thugs would grab the hostage and make life difficult.

Curufinwe

Absolutely nothing happens.
First of all, the game forces you to rescue Talia, not allowing you to complete any other side missions after leaving the tower. Batman seems to not give a single fuck that Strange, Talia, and Ra's are dead, nor that the League of Assassins is running wild in AC, or how they tied into Mayor Sharp. Batman pulls the Joker's body from the rubble (without even searching for Talia), and leaves AC out the front door looking like he's ready to cry. Then you're "treated" to 10 minutes of the slowest credits crawl ever, with no ending cinema to speak of, no teaser, no easter eggs other than Joker's song. None of the other villains are brought into custody, there's still thousands of inmates running wild in Strange's prison, but the Joker deserves a proper burial? And then, after the credits, you're forced to play the absolutely broken Catwoman vs. Two Face mission. If I was reviewing the game the ending alone would have cost it a full point.

That mission is not broken, not on Normal.
You just need to focus on Two Face and beat him up a couple of times when his goons aren't close enough to kill you. The game even tells you that he'll keep summoning more henchman.

Melchiah

That mission is not broken, not on Normal.
You just need to focus on Two Face and beat him up a couple of times when his goons aren't close enough to kill you. The game even tells you that he'll keep summoning more henchman.

I cleared it through by
taking the henchmen down silently and then attacking Two Face and the last henchman simultaneously.

Montresor

Can't believe this is a rated T game.

The story of Mad Hatter, Zhasz, and then the Riddler
burning that guy alive
was pretty brutal. lol

I would give the game a 93/100. The combat system is so damn good. My only gripes are I wish it were longer and I wish they revamped detective mode a little. Like AA, I find myself using it a bit much and can't enjoy the beautiful scenery. Other than that everything is absolutely brilliant.

To your spoiler: when does that happen?? I've beaten the game and done every single side quest and have all the story mode Riddler achievements, and I've never seen this happen.

Montresor

I completely destroy combat challenges now. It's to the point where in campaign challenges, whenever I'm up against a combat section, I make sure to pile on all the negative mutators because I'm able to handle it all - and I might as well save the most beneficial mutators for the painful predator sections.

In a video I saw a great strategy for any combat challenge that has the giant hammer/sickle character:

Get a 5x multiplier going and then approach the hammer/sickle thug using AA evades. Once you're near him, activate your bat swarm and it will stun everyone around you and the hammer/sickle thug too! Now start mashing X on the hammer/sickle thug and you'll immediately start a beat-down animation. You attack him so fast that you almost immediately add another 5x to your combo multiplier and earn the ability to use bat swarm again. So, use bat swarm again, and repeat over and over until the hammer/sickle guy dies. You can jump up 20,000 points just from this alone - though really I haven't counted exactly how much it gives you but it sure feels like it gives you 20,000!

Rattles

I found a great strategy for any combat challenge that has the giant hammer/sickle character:

Get a 5x multiplier going and then approach the hammer/sickle thug using AA evades. Once you're near him, activate your bat swarm and it will stun everyone around you and the hammer/sickle thug too! Now start mashing X on the hammer/sickle thug and you'll immediately start a beat-down animation. You attack him so fast that you almost immediately add another 5x to your combo multiplier and earn the ability to use bat swarm again. So, use bat swarm again, and repeat over and over until the hammer/sickle guy dies. You can jump up 20,000 points just from this alone - though really I haven't counted exactly how much it gives you but it sure feels like it gives you 20,000!

Nice! will have to try that when I decide to finish off my cat women/robin trophies.

Fifty

Is there a definitive guide online for getting the riddler trophies? I checked when the game first came out, but obviously it's something that takes time.

Sober

So after getting it on PC yesterday, somehow I b-lined straight to the ending. I did maybe one
Zzass call because I triggered it by accident
and coincidentally did the first AR training to get the grapnel boost and picking up the mine disruptor upgrade.

Hell, I didn't even know the game had riddles like in the first game cause I didn't bother going to the church to confront the Riddler until after finishing the main story. Now I feel silly.

So now I have A BAJILLION riddles and trophies to pick up because somehow I just decided to skip everything optional. Is there a way to not have battle-damaged Batman at the free-roam stage of the game?

rekameohs

Banned
I really want this game, but I don't know when I should pick it up. Would now work out, or should I wait for a later version with more DLC included?

Sober

I cleared it through by
taking the henchmen down silently and then attacking Two Face and the last henchman simultaneously.
I even did a Silent takedown on the goon with
Two-face. He got maybe one shot off on me before I knocked him down for the count. He spawns more guards but by the time I finished him only guy came up and maybe shot me once.

I do agree though, they should've put that in elsewhere or let you switch cause I was really hoping to go to free-roam at the end as Batman but was forced to play the rest of Catwoman's story.

If you guys are new users to OnLive, you can buy this game for $1 starting at 7pm EST for about 5 days. This actually goes for any first purchase. However, if you never tried the service before, I would highly recommend testing the service out before buying stuff.

http://onlivefans.com/news/onlive-t...faction-armageddon-75-off-sales-1-games/5113/
$1 or £1 Games For New OnLive Users OnLive held a similar promotion for UK gamers during the EuroGamer Expo in September, and then for US gamers a few weeks later. They are doing it again. New users will be able to get their first OnLive game for only $1 (US) or £1 (UK) (while supplies last). This includes all the hot new releases such as Batman: Arkham City, Saint’s Row: The Third, L.A. Noire, and Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
More details will be made available at www.onlive.com/go/fragfeast and www.onlive.co.uk/go/fragfeast, once the promotion goes live.

Montresor

I only have the Campaign Predator Master challenge left and I'll have all challenges done with Batman (both regular and campaign).

This challenge is nuts! It seems like no matter which mutators you select, every stage is hard as hell.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Did you
rush from one henchman to the next? I tried the same but there kept coming more henchmen and in the end I just went straight for Two Face and ignored the other guys.

I
basically just stayed on the ground crouched the entire time and was able to time it just right to make a ring around the room taking out all the guards save for the one by Two-Face. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know that he spawned more guards because I was able to do it on my first try, but this totally explains why a guard I never noticed was running up to us as I was doing my final beatdown on him.

Montresor

I got all the Batman challenges taken care of. Damn that felt really good, but it was too frustrating at times.

Now I'm tackling Catwoman's challenges (starting with all the combat challenges one by one).

Is there any way to find out what all her special moves are without loading up the campaign?

Montresor

What's up with some of the riddler trophies that require one or more pressure plates to be stepped on at the same time?

Solution to pressure plate puzzles:
When there are multiple pressure plates associated with one riddler trophy, you need to step on all the pressure plates consecutively without touching anything else. I.E. if you have two pressure plates but they're really far apart you'll have to figure out how to touch down on both of them without touching ANYTHING else. Second spoiler below tells you how to do this.

Second pressure plate spoiler:
Use the grapple boost upgrade or the line launcher, when appropriate, to hit pressure plates consecutively without touching any ground/floor/roof.

Bumhead

Banned
Played about an hour of this so far.

Game is REALLY overwhelming at the start. I'm playing like a chump right now and feel like I don't really know what's going on.

I'm enjoying it don't get me wrong but.. this is a huge change from Asylum.

Oreoleo

Played about an hour of this so far.

Game is REALLY overwhelming at the start. I'm playing like a chump right now and feel like I don't really know what's going on.

I'm enjoying it don't get me wrong but.. this is a huge change from Asylum.

I agree, especially in terms of combat it can be overwhelming. But you will get used to it as you progress.

ZeroRay

Beat it a few days ago.

Fantastic game, great design but missing the amazing atmosphere of Arkham Asylum; In that regard, I'd say it's similar to the comparisons of Dark Souls -> Demon's Souls.

dreamfall

Finally had some time to really dive into this game and finish those 400 Batman Riddler trophies. Got 20ish left for Catwoman, but I'm feeling good! Ending also was particularly awesome!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finally had some time to really dive into this game and finish those 400 Batman Riddler trophies. Got 20ish left for Catwoman, but I'm feeling good! Ending also was particularly awesome!

Heh, I got to 439/440 and the last one I had left was the combat trophy of bataranging a fire extinguisher while it's still in an enemy's hand... and I went everywhere around the map looking for a dude who would pick up a fire extinguisher. I tried the museum, but the place was entirely cleared out (which makes sense, I had already been back there post-game as both Batman and Catwoman to get Riddler trophies). Eventually I found one lying on the side of the road and got a punk to pick it up. Hallelujah! Good luck!

Melchiah

Beat it a few days ago.

Fantastic game, great design but missing the amazing atmosphere of Arkham Asylum; In that regard, I'd say it's similar to the comparisons of Dark Souls -> Demon's Souls.

I totally agree. I liked AC, but missed the atmosphere of AA, and its clearer path.

Heh, I got to 439/440 and the last one I had left was the combat trophy of bataranging a fire extinguisher while it's still in an enemy's hand... and I went everywhere around the map looking for a dude who would pick up a fire extinguisher. I tried the museum, but the place was entirely cleared out (which makes sense, I had already been back there post-game as both Batman and Catwoman to get Riddler trophies). Eventually I found one lying on the side of the road and got a punk to pick it up. Hallelujah! Good luck!

I really wish there wouldn't be any Riddler's combat trophies at all, let alone those annoying shoot/sprint ones scattered around the city. I wish they had sticked with the AA kind of riddles; environmental riddles to scan, and searching for question marks, Arkham chronicles and Joker's teeth. It was far more entertaining to find and solve them. I found and solved all of them in AA, but will never do the same in AC. Riddles that require only wit and keen eye > physical riddles.

Montresor

How do I unlock the first four concept arts? I have every concept art except the first four on the first page of the concept art section...

cackhyena

I totally agree. I liked AC, but missed the atmosphere of AA, and its clearer path.

I'm on the opposite end. In comparison, I could never go back to AA. Not with what they've improved on here. Did not dig the backtracking and linearity. Maybe it's the backtracking more so, because the Uncharted series is one of my favorites this gen. Still, I'm fucking Batman. I wanna wreck fools in a city and glide around. AC gave me that.

Melchiah

I'm on the opposite end. In comparison, I could never go back to AA. Not with what they've improved on here. Did not dig the backtracking and linearity. Maybe it's the backtracking more so, because the Uncharted series is one of my favorites this gen. Still, I'm fucking Batman. I wanna wreck fools in a city and glide around. AC gave me that.

I'm actually tempted to go back now, and see whether I still like the first one more.

As for backtracking, AC had its share of going back and forth as well, perhaps even more so.

Sober

Wait, goons on the streets outside respawn but fire extinguishers might not?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Can someone help me with the Perfect Freeflow 2.0 achievement? It's the achievement where you have to do all of Batman's moves in one unbroken combo.

The guides I'm reading tell me you need to perform the following moves in one combo:

Strike (X)
Counter (Y)
Evade (AA)
Cape Stun (B)
Ultra Stun (BBB)
Aerial Attack (B->AA)

Special Combo Break/Disarm (X+Y)
Special Combo Takedown (B+Y)
Special Combo Multi-Takedown (B+A)
Special Combo Bat Swarm (X+A)

Ground Pound (RT+Y)
Beatdown (B->XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

I've done all of these moves in a single combo at least a DOZEN times, and I'm not getting the achievement. And whenever I'm doing Multi-Takedown, I do make sure that someone was on the ground before the move and that they get taken down after the move. I also make sure that the Break/Disarm move actually breaks a weapon. There has to be a move that is missing in the above list.

That guide is missing a gadget Variation.

Bah, so late

cackhyena

I'm actually tempted to go back now, and see whether I still like the first one more.

As for backtracking, AC had its share of going back and forth as well, perhaps even more so.
Except it never felt like a chore for me in this one. Never felt restricted in how I went back and there was a myriad of things to do on the way if I felt like it. AA was a great game, but AC is what I wanted for a Batman game. AA felt like I was a bird in a cage. On top of it all, I liked nearly every boss fight in this one. I liked very few in AA.

Melchiah

Except it never felt like a chore for me in this one. Never felt restricted in how I went back and there was a myriad of things to do on the way if I felt like it. AA was a great game, but AC is what I wanted for a Batman game. AA felt like I was a bird in a cage. On top of it all, I liked nearly every boss fight in this one. I liked very few in AA.

Exactly the opposite for me. I got fed up going back and forth across the Arkham City, especially as the blocked area in the middle prevents you from going straight from one corner to another. And I felt the side missions along the way were sometimes too much of a distraction, as I felt I had to do them immediately or else there wouldn't be a chance to do them.

I agree when it comes to the boss fights, AC beats AA hands down, especially because there are now checkpoints within them
(granted, some of them are longer than in AA)
. I hated the last boss fight in AA with a passion.

Another nuisance in AC was, that when I went back to the
tower
to get some of the trophies I had missed the first time, I noticed that you can't glide back down from there. Instead, you have to go back the same way you went there.

cackhyena

Another nuisance in AC was, that when I went back to the
tower
to get some of the trophies I had missed the first time, I noticed that you can't glide back down from there. Instead, you have to go back the same way you went there.

That was a pretty dumb decision, as was putting the part you have to go around in the middle.

As to going back and forth, different strokes. I loved gliding around. The upgrades included makes it easy to go from point A to point B and I never grew tired of dropping down on some fools for a detour beat down along the way. Also, the additions to the combat are just another in the long list of reasons I don't think I'd want to play AA again. AA genuinely surprised me in it's quality. AC upped that in nearly every way to me while adding what i really wanted from the get go. I'm not even a huge comic book fan or anything. Both games are solid.

If someone asked me which to start with, I'd still say AA, not just because of the story tie in, but because it deserves the play through. I just prefer AC at the end of the day. This and Skyrim for my personal game of the year. They are duking it out right now.

Melchiah

As to going back and forth, different strokes. I loved gliding around. The upgrades included makes it easy to go from point A to point B and I never grew tired of dropping down on some fools for a detour beat down along the way. Also, the additions to the combat are just another in the long list of reasons I don't think I'd want to play AA again. AA genuinely surprised me in it's quality. AC upped that in nearly every way to me while adding what i really wanted from the get go. I'm not even a huge comic book fan or anything. Both games are solid.

If someone asked me which to start with, I'd still say AA, not just because of the story tie in, but because it deserves the play through.

I liked gliding through the city at first, but after few times it started to get tiresome. Especially after the tedious
time-limited Zsasz
mission. I think I missed some of the upgrades, as I never completed all the AR missions. Which is a shame, and somewhat bad decision from the developers, if they were an essential addition to the game.

AA definitely should be experienced before AC. Without it the impact of AC just isn't the same.

Just finished it yesterday. Great game.

Why did the Zsaz mission trick me into a time trial race. I was at the final one before I noticed I was running a damn time trial and I hate time trials. They did a great job.

Final boss was stupid but omg at the ending.
I actually felt sad for a truly nonredeemable bad guy.
And what Batman says to him at that moment kind of tugged at me slightly.

Top Bottom