• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) media & Game Informer details [Up: More]

at least harley quinn looks decent now.

GbVRT7S.png

debatable.

Story is that after Joker's death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman.

Wow they are not even trying anymore. I get Harley but why would Two-face or riddler care that joker is dead.The batmobile stuff is as I fear is going to be the Assassin Creed "hey we put something new in game even though its not a meaningful game-play change and is totallly op".

Also this Arkham Knight is totally
Hush

jett

D-Member
Story is that after Joker's death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman.

So, uh, Arkham Origins? :p

MormaPope

Banned
There's already automation in these games; the inverted takedown is just a single button press. Same with choking enemies out (simple compared to a Metal Gear Solid game). The challenge came from positioning, timing and what the player does immediately after. If You can dive into a floor grating without having to drop down, crouch then hit the action button/key, it doesn't change that you still have to time it correctly. If you can cancel out of that move at any point, then it shouldn't be a problem. General movement and traversal could get annoying in past games because of Batman had to do them in specific directions (climbing on railings, hanging down, jumping off, climbing onto counters/tables). In the heat of the moment, it could be unnecessarily restrictive, taking focus away from what the player wants to do.

None of the Arkham sequels have made anything more dumbed down from previous entries, not even the one by WB Montreal. From the descriptions, it sounds like it's could just be a legitimately smoother way of doing what you could do in past games. It's unlikely Rocksteady would feel the need to make the player any more powerful than they are in past games.

You're probably right. The way the Game Informer writer is describing things the mental image I get is Batman taking out a room full of dudes in a few seconds from a few button presses. Its probably just the frantic and hype building writing style the GI person used.

Tookay

Wow they are not even trying anymore. I get Harley but why would Two-face or riddler care that joker is dead.The batmobile stuff is as I fear is going to be the Assassin Creed "hey we put something new in game even though its not a meaningful game-play change and is totallly op".

You mean like the pirate ship?

The best part of AC?

Yea look at the side, there is this dark gray bar, put your cursor over it and scroll down.

Thank you!

So they want to make sure that both batmobile and gliding have their strengths and weaknesses and you can switch between the two almost instantly. Batmobile is great for speed and no damage. But you cant use gadgets and of course cant fly upward so each will have situations that fit their roles.

Jarmel

Banned
Too bad the buildings aren't somewhat destructible. It would be awesome to ram the Batmobile through the wall of a warehouse to surprise a group of thugs.

LastNac

Yeah, well, the "next" part kind of implies that it's not current and is coming...next.

360/PS3 came out 8-9 years ago..I'd call that "last gen" at this point.
By that logic "last" is over. But hey, I bought South Park this morning and plan on getting X/X2 HD in the future.

This sounds great. Maybe now I'll play Origins before it comes out.

Have the past Arkham games been day and date PC and console?

Hush

They said Joker would constantly be pitting all the rival gangs against each other to keep them weak. Now that Joker is out of the picture they realized its better to work together.

I want that to be the basis of Arkham Orgins 2. Introduce Dick Grayson, his connection with the Court of Owls, have Batman get utterly defeated and realize he needs help. Bring Robin into the continuity, and move further in the direction of developing the stoic Batman of Rocksteady's games (with his arrogance at knowing the city and its history being turned upside down in Court of Owls). That would also retroactively explain the lack of the Court of Owl's appearance in Asylum and City, where there are statues of the Owls in Origins.

That whole maze/labyrinth section would be awesome

gonna be real interesting to see how these system's cpu's hold up now that the world has no loading (aka constant streaming) and batman apparently moves faster than before with way more detailed textures.

I recall AC and AO chugged on lastgen (and for the longest time on pc until a few patches).

Hush

So by your logic The Dark Knight sucks because the Joker got all the mobsters to work together even though they hated each other.

You're probably right. The way the Game Informer writer is describing things the mental image I get is Batman taking out a room full of dudes in a few seconds from a few button presses. Its probably just the frantic and hype building writing style the GI person used.

From what I gathered it seems there are going to be a lot more enemies so quicker group takedowns will be a must. And yeah it just seems to be a faster more fluid way of doing things we have before.

If it's something like Far Cry 3, then it shouldn't be too overpowered. If there's a much higher enemy-per-area count than previous games, it might help balance things out.

you not like?

Well, the outfit looks awful, for starters. Though it didn't look good in any of the Arkham games, so maybe I'm not the greatest critic. She's also CG in that screenshot which, I'd assume, is not indicative of the character model that promises to be ugly, given Rocksteady's history.

Halloween setting is the best news out of all of this.

Hmm, yes, this may be true.

I just hope their will still be Riddler trophys and Riddler secrets all over the city, and not only those cartracks.

Give me a reason to explore Gotham City. Bigger is not always better, the details and secrets matter.

Hush

I think it's going to welcome change similar to the way gliding changed between Asylum and City. Since they are using it for riddles, launching out of, and who knows what else I think it's going to provide some interesting new ways to play

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Glad to see that Oracle will play a bigger role in the game. Let's hope that other characters like Nightwing and Cassandra Cain get to be involved in this more than just DLC.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Humm modified current Unreal Engine, hope it's not gonna chug, current Unreal Engine sucks at streaming (can see that with all the game using it so far). Hope they have a stable solution..

dcelw540

Do you guys think joker will have a cameo? I certainly do. I'm just hoping they do just a cameo at the beginning and that's it.

Counter throw sounds fine, new ground takedown and backflip sound fine (ill assume batarang tracks and stuns a nearby opponent? hopefully it upgrades to shoot multiple at opponents making it viable for larger mobs as opposed to just looking cool as you stun an already stunned targeted enemy, which would be pointless) predator chain takedowns sound wayy too easy, maybe because my mind immediately goes to that taging mechanic in Splinter cell conviction, blehh.

Glad to see that Oracle will play a bigger role in the game.

Did her bios ever say she was paralyzed by the Joker? If not, then they had the chance to avoid that refrigerator-stuffing moment with this game. Never liked that that became canon.

If they do a Batman Beyond game that ties into this universe, the BB version of Barbara should be used.

tensuke

Trailer looked REALLY good. Love these games. Now I just need Origins/Blackgate to hit $10 on PC like Asylum/City did.

You mean like the pirate ship?

The best part of AC?

I agree with you but how much did the ship change the core combat?What I am tying to say is that it feels like rocksteady is hyping up a fast travel option and not doing anything new. Where is co-op with robin new, ways of dealing with enemies,and a living breathing Gotham instead of another empty street city.

Top Bottom