• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) - TRAILER - Driveable Batmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this. AC didn't have civilians but it never felt empty. It was bustling with detail, conversations, secrets, lights and life.

With murderers roaming the streets I doubt anyone would want to come out of the house anyway.

Gotta have those unrealistic expectations with every game announcement.

On a serious note, and this may be due to being just passed
where Joker blows up the tower following the courthouse scene
, but I wasn't impressed with the open world of Arkham City. Seemed a bit messy rather than designed well. But I didn't get a chance to have things accessible that early on, so perhaps the world becomes more sensible as the player progresses and unlocks.

Don't think this will be that empty of a game despite most of the populace bugging out. Bound to be quite a few civilians trapped, and the GCPD likely in open war with the criminals. Don't need a bunch of useless bodies around to feel lived in if it doesn't fit the game.

This argument would have merit if Arkham City and Arkham Origins didn't come out for Wii U...but they did. PS3 / 360 are ancient consoles so foregoing them is understandable, but Wii U is only 1 1/2 years old with potential for growth.

The fact that Warner Bros. doesn't think Wii U is worthy of the extra effort to develop a port---even though it's a newly-released console with the capacity to run a downscaled Arkham Knight---shows that their faith in the console to push core, mature games is broken.

Lets be honest though. Anybody that was expecting this game to come to Wii U hasn't been paying attention to anything regarding the Wii U.

On Demand

Banned
This game unequivocally borrows from Nolan's films. Their batmobile looks AND sounds extremely similar to the Tumblr, his armor is much more similar, their Two-face in this trailer looks much more like the burned Two-face of Dark Knight then the one from Arkham City. Even the cinematography and use of anamorphic bokeh in the trailer is very evocative of Pfister's cinematography and lens choice from the films. The music since Arkham Asylum has actually been pretty similar to Zimmer's score at times (and this trailer is no different). The opening of the trailer is practically Bane speaking to Gotham and the population trying to escape the city from TDKR.

Exactly. This is what i mean. I hate it. Rocksteady's just copying what's already out there instead of following what they did with past games. The music, the character models, and the overall look and feel of AA and AC was something that felt very different and new.

I'll wait for gameplay and more info but that trailer doesn't fill me with confidence.

also I like the idea of Scarecrow as the main villain but the trailer needed him

Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villain. Is he really going to be emphasized as the main villain in this one? Best Arkham game confirmed. If Joker comes back I'll toss my PS4 out the damn window.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The trailer look like it's done by Blur. it's been long time since we saw a Blur trailer.

Since they stole/using the same Batsuit as WB Montreal. I hope WB Montreal do the faces for them (Rocksteady make ugly faces for the characters).

David Cain get easter egg in Origin so I hope he is one of the villains here.

also I don't like the in-game suit at all and the game's name doesn't even make sense anymore

k done ranting. now I'm gonna go buy it
It's for Arkham Night, but with a K so it means Arkham's knight, like "knight in shining armor," but because it's night, it symbolizes darkness and the gothic setting, you know kind of like, the Wii U where the two "i's" symbolize two people playing but the "U" symbolize yourself and the gamepad, and...

...whatever, I'll stop talking! :p

Shadownet

Banned
All of the money. All of it.

I would love if you plug in a 2nd controller and Batman call in "Dick, I need your help"

"I'll be right there" and you can see Nightwing drop in from above.

Same concept with Robin.

Cause I feel like this is sorta like the comic book event of No Man Land where Batman has to call every allies to help him defend Gotham.

Though the one thing that bugged me is if we have a co-op campaign. Is it going to be split screen? Split screen isn't really ideal cause it cut down on your vision.

Maybe online co-op only?

Yes, so glad that it's not cross gen!!! But I really hope that there's no multiplayer, and if there is it's handled properly because as fun as Origins MP was, it didn't work half the time.

Maxrunner

Considering that Batman is the most recognizable and famous Superhero ever.

Meh?
Saidnobodyever.gif

And?what's the matter of having something different?i liked and finished asylum but city was way bigger than it needed to be and well yeah...something new would be nice...

bumpkin

> Arkham Origins DLC cancelled for Wii U

> Arkham Knight skips Wii U

Well, I guess that's all that needs to be said about how Warner Bros. views releasing core, non-LEGO games on Nintendo's system.

Nevertheless, the game looks absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to buy it on PC later this year.
Are there screen shots floating around yet? That entire announce trailer was CGI. :-/

Except Arkham Knight isn't releasing on PS360 either. This isn't an indictment on the Wii U, it's an indictment on last-gen altogether (which unfortunately the Wii U is essentially a part of, hardware-wise).

This argument would have merit if Arkham City and Arkham Origins didn't come out for Wii U...but they did. PS3 / 360 are ancient consoles so foregoing them is understandable, but Wii U is only 1 1/2 years old with potential for growth.

The fact that Warner Bros. doesn't think Wii U is worthy of the extra effort to develop a port---even though it's a newly-released console with the capacity to run a downscaled Arkham Knight---shows that their faith in the console to push core, mature games is broken.

Totally ignoring that point? Wii U has possibly potential in Nintendo paving its own way or exclusives, but the potential on ports from Xbox One and PS4 is not there. Having the difference in hardware in mind and still asking for it is quite desperate and pathetic IMO.

We haven't seen any of the game to say that it can handle a downscaled Arkham Knight. If it isn't releasing on 360 and PS3, than likely it won't be able to.

Shadownet

Banned
It's for Arkham Night, but with a K so it means Arkham's knight, like "knight in shining armor," but because it's night, it symbolizes darkness and the gothic setting, you know kind of like, the Wii U where the two "i's" symbolize two people playing but the "U" symbolize yourself and the gamepad, and...

I feel like Knight. You can look at it as "Night"

Since it seem like this game is going down in one night. That's just my guess..

They could name this Batman: Arkham Giggolo and I would still buy it!

Have they said where this fits chronologically with the other games?

My guess (from how advanced the batmobile and suit are) is that his is after the events of Asylum and City

I wonder if that means Kevin Conroy will voice it again.

So far it's everything I've hoped it to be, especially with Scarecrow as a main villain.

Hopefully Rocksteady pulls if off again. I'm also glad this is the last one so hopefully they can move on to new IP.

More than likely going to get this one. Loved the first two although I was slightly dissapointed with some slight things in City but it was still an awesome game. With all of that said this trailer did very little for me. I wish they could've mixed in some gameplay with the CGI or at the least helped showcase what will really distinguish this title from City. The trailer also didn't really give any indication on what the story was about. So far all ive seen is Batman being his usual dark brooding self while beating up thugs. Meanwhile the same villians from City return. So far the only thing this game tells me is that it will be Arkham City but now you can drive the batmobile.

Prompto

Banned
Have they said where this fits chronologically with the other games?

My guess (from how advanced the batmobile and suit are) is that his is after the events of Asylum and City

I wonder if that means Kevin Conroy will voice it again.
They said a year after Arkham City in the Gameinformer video.

Really wish Rocksteady took their talent to an IP that wasn't inherently lame

That proves my point, at least in your case - some of those most anxious for Rocksteady to move onto a new character or series could care less about what the developers have done for the Batman IP.

Steroyd

> Arkham Origins DLC cancelled for Wii U

> Arkham Knight skips Wii U

Well, I guess that's all that needs to be said about how Warner Bros. views releasing core, non-LEGO games on Nintendo's system.

It doesn't help that the WiiU is PS360 tier which they've completely foregone.

The trailer was great, but CG trailers is something I wish developers and publishers wouldn't release because the games never match them. Next-generation consoles, can come close provided RockSteady keeps draw distances down to acceptable levels. The fact that UE3 can be modified, and produce something like 1313 is promising.

Shadownet

Banned
And?what's the matter of having something different?i liked and finished asylum but city was way bigger than it needed to be and well yeah...something new would be nice...

Half-Life 3 is coming! Don't worry!

Yeah but having this game to close off the trilogy is nice.

Some people are saying a TMNT game should be next.

I'm personally looking forward to a Nightwing game though. But TMNT wouldn't be bad.

Unless Rocksteady go completely wild and give us a great Superman game next.

Albo

Arkam city was one of my fave games of last gen. I skipped origins because it looked like much of the same after playing 100+ hours of city, plus I wanted to avoid franchise fatigue like I got with something like AssCreed so Arkham knight still excites me as rocksteady's next gen exclusive debut. At least they're moving it forward in some ways based on the small amout of reveal info, but I want to find out more about it. Luckily, looks like GI are doing coverage for the whole month.

Vire

Really hoping the fact that this isn't cross-gen or on Wii U is an indication that is using Unreal Engine 4.

I'm personally looking forward to a Nightwing game though. But TMNT wouldn't be bad.

TMNT would be great - especially if the other turtles followed you around leaping from roof top to roof top.

Salsa

yeah, it's just the Arkham part that doesnt make sense anymore

I mean, Arkham is just the name of the Asylum. I guess it made a bit more sense in City since it was basically a section of gotham city that turned into an open asylum but it just stuck as the franchise name and they just HAVE to call it that I guess. In Origins it didnt make sense either.

It's a pet peeve. Gotham Knight would have been 100x better and would even make me a bit more hopeful that they were mixing things up enough as to call it something else, but yeah, it's a franchise now. (and gotham knight is the name of those short animated films anyway)

Ramenman

I don't think Rocksteady is a big enough studio to make UE3 look next-gen.

I didn't say anything about "making UE3 look next gen" (I'm pretty much convinced a "next gen" game that started dev 3 years ago would be on UE4).

I might be mistaken, but I think the point of the person I was quoting "no matter if it's 3 or 4, an Unreal Engine game always has a distinctive look". Something that is usually said in reference to games like bulletstorm/gears/unreal tournament.

So I mentionned two other Unreal Engine games that have very different looks from what an "Unreal Engine game" is usually expected to look like, to explain why I think it's a mistake to think like this.

I don't mind story trailers, but I absolutely HATE when a game is revealed with one. I simply cannot get excited over a new game that shows nothing of how it will play.

Rocksteady should stay far far away from Superman! Any developer who touches that is cursed I swear!

Kidding aside, they might do a good job, although Superman is much harder than Batman I think.

Vitter.

Bruce looks echoed Ben Affleck's.

This game was the announcement i've been waiting for. I hope it looks AMAZING.

SykoTech

Wait, Harley's playable? Hell yeah!

At first I thought the sticker was just for Harley-themed challenge maps like the Black Mask pre-order.

Here's hoping she's not a lazy reskin of another character and has a unique moveset.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
Nice holiday release! Maybe a Spider man game in the same vein next, though I don't know if they want to just be known as the superhero open-world studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom