• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Knight PC re-release Oct. 28th

KingBroly

Banned
The safe advice is simply never to pre-order a PC game, you never know how well a game will run before it's out in the wild.
Always wait for performance reports.

Next in line will be Fallout 4, it's easy to predict a relatively poorly optimized game considering Bethesda's track record. I mean I don't recall Fallout 3 running particularly well.
Let there be no illusion about Fallout 4. It's just not going to run well regardless of your PC.

Some publishers have better track records than others. I'd say Capcom has a good track record, as does...sigh...Konami...but they still aren't perfect.

heringer

With a 30 fps lock and 1600p the game runs well on my 970 except for the random stuttering, which is annoying.

The game is great though. I love how you start with old boring batsuit and gameplay feels the same until you get the new suit. Wow, what a massive difference. Loving the batmobile too, feels great.

But now I don't know if I keep playing or just wait for the word on a new patch.

tuxfool

Banned
With a 30 fps lock and 1600p the game runs well on my 970 except for the random stuttering, which is annoying.

The game is great though. I love how you start with old boring batsuit and gameplay feels the same until you get the new suit. Wow, what a massive difference. Loving the batmobile too, feels great.

But now I don't know if I keep playing or just wait for the word on a new patch.

It still stutters at 30fps?

I take back my previous statements. The streaming system is just trash.

Kezen

Banned
Some publishers have better track records than others. I'd say Capcom has a good track record, as does...sigh...Konami...but they still aren't perfect.
I don't demand perfection. I'm well aware there is no such a thing as a PC game running flawlessly on any PC under the sun. However, AK definitely raises some eyebrows and does not perform consistently well, and asks for quite a lot. The game is sure easy on the eyes.
I don't ask for a game running as well as consoles on exactly the same specs since the development environments are different (likely better optimization and profiling tools on the console side since it's fixed specs, plus PC is high level) but even being cognizant of the discrepancies in efficiences between Directx 11 (heavy API+driver stack) and consoles I still don't believe they could have made this performing better. I can't prove that though, for all I know their are banging their heads against driver behaviors or API limitations.
We cannot discard the possibility that Directx 11 might be even more of a bottleneck than we assumed, and let's not forget that we have been told how heavy and overbearing Directx is since the dawn of PC gaming.

I'm afraid the next patch will only introduce SLI/Crossfire support and nothing will be done to improve performance.
That said considering how CPU bound the game is I'm sceptical multi-GPU setup will gain that much.

Nerrel

It all comes down people complaining about Batman AK performance on their old hardware...they still have 670s(my old card) and 8 GB RAM, PS3 generation made lesser machines super OP comparatively. Hardware pushing next gen games and those same PCs (even though they can STILL get better performance@ higher than 1080p with 30 fps) are getting trashed.

...have you seen the number of people in here reporting problems with a 980ti or 970?

pahamrick

This feels like a repeat of the initial launch.

"It runs fine for me therefore it should run fine for everyone else, they just have shit hardware."

dk_

i gave in and downloaded it.

it runs well (around 30 - 45fps) for a while only with a few long hitches here and there, then after as certain amount of time it just crashes, then a error window pop ups
US2KHvP.jpg

my system is
Windows 10 Premium
AMD FX-6300
8GB 1866MHz memory
AMD R9 380 4GB

I already own all of the batman games, except the blackgate prison one. Oh well, bring on Fallout 4.

edit: I tried to record some gameplay but when the game crashed the video file got busted.

People with desktops like this sure have a nice system going. :p

CHC

See a lot of 970s here but any Kepler/780 impressions?

I have a 780 and a 2500k, playing at 2560 x 1600. Everything is set to "normal" and the framerate is locked to 30 FPS. Runs perfectly and, unlike others, I've had a really great experience with the game. During one scene the FPS shot to like 22 for a bit but it was mostly just over-the-shoulder dialogue so it didn't really matter too much. Fighting, driving, and gliding around all are pretty much flawless, from my experiences with 4-5 hours of play.

But yeah if you're on a Kepler I'd say 60 FPS is impossible. On that note, though, the 30 FPS feels quite smooth with a gamepad - I really have no complaints, I'm enjoying the game a lot after waiting so long.

heringer

It still stutters at 30fps?

I take back my previous statements. The streaming system is just trash.

A little.

However, after locking with nvidia Inspector it got much better (I was using RTSS). I even cranked the resolution up to 1800p and it's smooth 95% of the time, with the occasional, random stutter.

Damn the game looks good.

CHC

A little.

However, after locking with nvidia Inspector it got much better (I was using RTSS). I even cranked the resolution up to 1800p and it's smooth 95% of the time, with the occasional, random stutter.

Damn the game looks good.

Pretty much the same experience on my end.

The game is also REALLY fucking good. All the shit talking in here made me sort of roll my eyes when I started it up. I got a code off of someone for 15 bucks so I booted the game up thinking like "eh what the hell I'll give it a shot" and expecting it to be pretty mediocre....

I dunno about that. So far it's fucking amazing, I even really like the Batmobile. Maybe I'll get sick of it later but I'm like 6 hours in and it's totally my main choice for getting around, instead of gliding. I love drifting through the streets with the rain and the motion blur in full effect - it feels awesome. This is 100% in line with the quality of the other Arkham games, I really don't get the negativity.

heringer

The game is also REALLY fucking good. All the shit talking in here made me sort of roll my eyes when I started it up. I got a code off of someone for 15 bucks so I booted the game up thinking like "eh what the hell I'll give it a shot" and expecting it to be pretty mediocre....

I dunno about that. So far it's fucking amazing, I even really like the Batmobile. Maybe I'll get sick of it later but I'm like 6 hours in and it's totally my main choice for getting around, instead of gliding. I love drifting through the streets with the rain and the motion blur in full effect - it feels awesome. This is 100% in line with the quality of the other Arkham games, I really don't get the negativity.

Yep, batmobile rocks. Just posted that in the OT, don't get the hate either.

misho8723

Banned
Yep, batmobile rocks. Just posted that in the OT, don't get the hate either.

Riddler trophies with the batmobile are fucking shit - I hate them.. at first I was like "yeah, I like the batmobile, it's a fun addition", but now after some hours, why is it basically the main character of this entry in the seriers? I'm more in the batmobile than I'm with Batman.. and why do I need to have everything on 100 % if I want to see the "true" ending? - this is another thing I hate in this game

B_Signal

I played a little bit last night, didn't fly around the city, just kind of tested a few things, and the game worked great for me. Tonight I put it on, left the area I was in, and it's freezing all over the place.

I'm loathed to put this on my ssd, partly because it means making room (and redownloading the game), and partly because it feels like accepting defeat. The game should be fixed by now, it shouldn't have released in the state it did, but after the interim patch and then this one the game should be playable on a harddrive

Sober

lol, moderator just posted this on the steam forum about the price being raised from yesterday...

price.png

This is a clusterfuck, so basically, if you purchased the game yesterday you got It £5/$10 cheaper, if you purchased it today then you got it for £5/$10 more and now the line is that the price isn't finalised, in other words it could go down again so anybody who did buy it today has been screwed out of money..(well they have anyway because of the state of the port)

How about, it should have never gone back up for sale because your game is still broken and then putting the price back up from a lower price at re-release is an even bigger slap in the face!
Hey, it matches the theme of the re-release. Nobody was ready for it, but they did it anyway and they're still cleaning up the mess.

A++ effort on rocksteady and WB's behalf

KingV

I was super conflicted with the game. It has some high points, but I was super let down by the end.

The reliance on the batmobile kind of ramps up as the game goes on, and pretty much all of the boss fights and climaxes fall really flat, but the atmosphere holds up pretty well throughout.

It's my least favorite Arkham game. If it were first in the series it would be amazing, but it seems like a step back from origin, city, and even asylum.

The boss fights in the other games were not amazing, but having a super hero game without boss fights just doesn't make any sense. Batman is about the conflict between Batman and his rogues. It's like a central part of 'Being Batman'. In this game its basically reduced to cutscenes.

This is 100% in line with the quality of the other Arkham games, I really don't get the negativity.

The game definitely starts strong, but see if you still feel that way when you've finished it. Not saying you definitely won't, but the game's problems didn't become apparent to me until around the halfway point. For the record, I still really like driving around in the Batmobile, chasing bad guys down and doing sweet sustained drifts, but at a certain point I just couldn't take another round of shooting drone tanks in a walled-off arena any more, and unfortunately after I hit that point the game still made me do it like a dozen more times.

The tank battle gameplay never evolves the way the stealth and combat stuff does. Your first instance of shooting tanks is almost identical to your last, save for a couple of ultimately meaningless extra abilities and the fact that you'll be shooting way more tanks at the end. It's such a basic, monotonous gameplay style, with zero room for any creativity on your part; you just knuckle down and do it until it's done, then you do it again roughly an hour later. Then you unlock a side mission type that is nothing but tank battling. Then all of the game's bosses are also tank battles.

The Batmobile starts feeling less like a cool new addition and more like a crutch. Like Rocksteady couldn't figure out how to further develop the traditional on-foot gameplay so they had you shoot a few hundred tanks instead. There's no clever new ideas that change up the normal Batman gameplay like the Mr Freeze bossfight in Arkham City this time around. Even the Metroidvania level design of the first two games is dropped, apart from one or two areas, in favour of linear, outside areas that your car can follow you into. Drive a bit, hit a gate, jump out and do some stealthing or fighting so you can open the gate to drive further.

Then you get to the thoroughly Ubisoft-ian side missions, where you simply repeat a task several times over until you get to watch a cutscene of Batman subduing a villain. Watching what could have been neat bossfights, which Rocksteady apparently decided would be more satisfying as video files.

I found the game very disappointing in the end. Even if I could get it running nicely on my 670, the thought of all that tank battling just puts me off ever wanting to replay it, and I'm someone who's replayed Asylum and City like a dozen times each at this point. It definitely has its moments of that Rocksteady brilliance, but overall it's a very distant bronze medal in the trilogy for me.

Jintor

had to drop my textures to low but seems to run alright. Looks decent enough. My problems lie more with... well, the gameplay seems fine, and tbh the Batmobile is okay running around (even if tank mode is pretty boring as sin), but it's like they stripped 60-70% of the character from everyone in cutscenes, or maybe more accurately the performance.

The cutscenes where Bats is picking up Isley for lockup (very early game) probably exemplify this best. Even with Conroy there... the direction is insipid, pauses between voice cuts irritating, the actual animation doesn't feel snappy... something's missing. The dialogue is also really really crappy possibly because Bats doesn't really react to anything, which while traditional is... somehow pulled off wrong here. Compare the way BTAS pulled off silent Bats to this. He just feels and looks like an idiot instead of a menancing dude glaring at you.

still, good enough to play while i listen to podcasts, so whatever.

Anyone has a clue how to destroy those wodden barricades that hide some riddler trophies that you cant destroy with the explosive gel, since they are on some high point and cant shoot them with the batmobile?

I tried the rope thrower, since that worked in Arkham City, but in this game he just stops at the wall and does nothing.

novenD

Anyone has a clue how to destroy those wodden barricades that hide some riddler trophies that you cant destroy with the explosive gel, since they are on some high point and cant shoot them with the batmobile?

I tried the rope thrower, since that worked in Arkham City, but in this game he just stops at the wall and does nothing.

You can double tap the explosive gel button to make Batman fire a squib of it at distant objects.

The game definitely starts strong, but see if you still feel that way when you've finished it. Not saying you definitely won't, but the game's problems didn't become apparent to me until around the halfway point. For the record, I still really like driving around in the Batmobile, chasing bad guys down and doing sweet sustained drifts, but at a certain point I just couldn't take another round of shooting drone tanks in a walled-off arena any more, and unfortunately after I hit that point the game still made me do it like a dozen more times.

The tank battle gameplay never evolves the way the stealth and combat stuff does. Your first instance of shooting tanks is almost identical to your last, save for a couple of ultimately meaningless extra abilities and the fact that you'll be shooting way more tanks at the end. It's such a basic, monotonous gameplay style, with zero room for any creativity on your part; you just knuckle down and do it until it's done, then you do it again roughly an hour later. Then you unlock a side mission type that is nothing but tank battling. Then all of the game's bosses are also tank battles.

The Batmobile starts feeling less like a cool new addition and more like a crutch. Like Rocksteady couldn't figure out how to further develop the traditional on-foot gameplay so they had you shoot a few hundred tanks instead. There's no clever new ideas that change up the normal Batman gameplay like the Mr Freeze bossfight in Arkham City this time around. Even the Metroidvania level design of the first two games is dropped, apart from one or two areas, in favour of linear, outside areas that your car can follow you into. Drive a bit, hit a gate, jump out and do some stealthing or fighting so you can open the gate to drive further.

Then you get to the thoroughly Ubisoft-ian side missions, where you simply repeat a task several times over until you get to watch a cutscene of Batman subduing a villain. Watching what could have been neat bossfights, which Rocksteady apparently decided would be more satisfying as video files.

I found the game very disappointing in the end. Even if I could get it running nicely on my 670, the thought of all that tank battling just puts me off ever wanting to replay it, and I'm someone who's replayed Asylum and City like a dozen times each at this point. It definitely has its moments of that Rocksteady brilliance, but overall it's a very distant bronze medal in the trilogy for me.

You've effectively killed my desire to continue playing the game, should it ever be fixed. Lol

kodecraft

You've effectively killed my desire to continue playing the game, should it ever be fixed. Lol

Nah, everyone doesn't feel like Matrix-cat. I love the game and can't go back to the previous Arkham games. Seeing pro plays of the Batmobile is sublime. Kicking an onslaught of tanks asses without being touched is sexy!

Arkham Knight as a game is f'king sexy...and the most fun in an Arkham game.

That dual tag team switch thing is just asking for TMNT treatment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lol, moderator just posted this on the steam forum about the price being raised from yesterday...

price.png

This is a clusterfuck, so basically, if you purchased the game yesterday you got It £5/$10 cheaper, if you purchased it today then you got it for £5/$10 more and now the line is that the price isn't finalised, in other words it could go down again so anybody who did buy it today has been screwed out of money..(well they have anyway because of the state of the port)

How about, it should have never gone back up for sale because your game is still broken and then putting the price back up from a lower price at re-release is an even bigger slap in the face!

Don't place any stock in what he says. He's just a mod and has no ties to Valve or WB.

CHC

-long post-

Definitely a very fair sounding assessment. Like you mentioned, I'm still early in the game and it starts very strong indeed, but I can definitely see it going that way. Like even in Axe Chemicals I was like "3 gates.... really?" but enjoyed it either way. It's too bad they increasingly fall back on the Batmobile without really adding anything else to its repertoire that might spice up the gameplay a bit.

Outside of the Batmobile I'm hugely enjoying the new takedowns - the "Fear" moves and the multi-character buddy combat.

Oh no, don't let me put you off. I think it's a pretty heavily flawed game, but I still had some fun with it, and enough people here loved it that it's worth seeing for yourself whether you happen to be one of them. It isn't a bad game by any means, I just don't think it lives up to Rocksteady's first two Batman games (which are, to me, utterly brilliant).

I won't argue the tank combat is weak, but I loved the addition of the Batmobile for puzzles. Some of my favourite parts of AK were when you were in enclosed spaces using the Batmobile to solve puzzles - the Ace Chemicals part and then again later during the part when you end up going "down" a big ass pipe thing. I forget what it's called exactly.

IMO if they reduced the amount of Batmobile combat by like half, and fixed up the challenge mode so it's actually the exact same challenge mode as previous games instead of its current weirdness, it would be something close to a 10/10 game for me (design wise. Technically is another story).

Jintor

the environmental takedowns are really sick though.

the problem is there's so many damn button combos now i forget what everything does. just button combo after button combo after button combo...

This is almost exactly what I thought playing it. It has some great combat additions, but it's the worst of the 3 in regards to level design, story, bosses. Which are all very important in regards to the Batman character.

the environmental takedowns are really sick though.

Yup.

Sober

Launch out of the batmobile and glide towards it to kick them down. You can try aiming explosive gel and then doing the quickfire but last I checked Batman says it's not strong enough to do so.

I won't argue the tank combat is weak, but I loved the addition of the Batmobile for puzzles. Some of my favourite parts of AK were when you were in enclosed spaces using the Batmobile to solve puzzles - the Ace Chemicals part and then again later during the part when you end up going "down" a big ass pipe thing. I forget what it's called exactly.

IMO if they reduced the amount of Batmobile combat by like half, and fixed up the challenge mode so it's actually the exact same challenge mode as previous games instead of its current weirdness, it would be something close to a 10/10 game for me (design wise. Technically is another story).
Yeah, Batmobile puzzle solving was genuinely good.

I also think in a patch or so they are reintroducing the 4-wave combat challenges as well. Not sure exactly how those will work, probably only on the season pass challenges or something? I actually don't know how the challenge maps from the season pass shake out, I just know the ones from launch sucked as challenge maps.

Sectus

I also think in a patch or so they are reintroducing the 4-wave combat challenges as well. Not sure exactly how those will work, probably only on the season pass challenges or something? I actually don't know how the challenge maps from the season pass shake out, I just know the ones from launch sucked as challenge maps.

They've got one 4-round challenge map right now (it was added in the latest combat challenge pack), and I hope they'll add more of those. I definitely get the impression they didn't plan anything meaningful for the challenge mode and they figured they'd deal with it after the game was launched, and the result is a bit all over the place. Some of the challenges are fun, but many of them feel either too short or way too long, it's a shame some characters can't fight certain enemies (if you play as Catwoman, bigger enemies are replaced with shield goons), there's some silly bugs (Catwoman sometimes have really buggy animations when countering ninjas), and there's no leaderboards when choosing other characters.

On the bright side, the challenges are in MUCH better state than at launch and they're still adding more content to it.

And in other news, photo mode is pretty fun:
http://abload.de/img/batmanak2015-10-3018-qcqqm.jpg
http://abload.de/img/batmanak2015-10-3019-jnq07.jpg
http://abload.de/img/batmanak2015-10-3019-rbq5a.jpg

Salsa

got the game spoiled on a fucking Ben Affleck thread. after all this time of managing to avoid that shit.

guess im done.

nice ribbon end on my whole shithole experience with this fucking thing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So is it fixed or not? The devs promised it would be fixed before re-release.

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, SLI still isn't in? I thought SLI support was in the patch they pulled at the start of the month for re-release on the 28th...

Lime

got the game spoiled on a fucking Ben Affleck thread. after all this time of managing to avoid that shit.

guess im done.

nice ribbon end on my whole shithole experience with this fucking thing.

the story is shit so I don't know if this was a good thing for you.

Trace

Banned
Can confirm it still runs like garbage. 980ti and it struggles to maintain 60fps at max with no nvidia effects at 1080p.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
♫ I'll be there for you (when the framerate starts to fall) ♫
♫ I'll be there for you (like I've stuttered before) ♫

Sober

They've got one 4-round challenge map right now (it was added in the latest combat challenge pack), and I hope they'll add more of those. I definitely get the impression they didn't plan anything meaningful for the challenge mode and they figured they'd deal with it after the game was launched, and the result is a bit all over the place. Some of the challenges are fun, but many of them feel either too short or way too long, it's a shame some characters can't fight certain enemies (if you play as Catwoman, bigger enemies are replaced with shield goons), there's some silly bugs (Catwoman sometimes have really buggy animations when countering ninjas), and there's no leaderboards when choosing other characters.

On the bright side, the challenges are in MUCH better state than at launch and they're still adding more content to it.
Oh, only one map? Then I have to assume the one arriving next year (the community dlc pack) will be the one with them. Who knows how few of them there will actually be. And I'd have to guess there won't be that many unless they decide to retrofit the old maps for it.

Also how can Catwoman not fight the huge dudes anyway? Aren't they just variations on regular henchmen types, except you need to follow with a beatdown in some cases or use two combo takedowns? I really don't see the problem unless they just flat out don't have animations for it (at which case neither does Nightwing or Harley; Robin might though, not sure about Red Hood). This is hilarious because all the playable challenge map characters had no problems with fighting Titans or the hammer/sickle bros in AC challenge maps either.

Sectus

Oh, only one map? Then I have to assume the one arriving next year (the community dlc pack) will be the one with them. Who knows how few of them there will actually be. And I'd have to guess there won't be that many unless they decide to retrofit the old maps for it.

Also how can Catwoman not fight the huge dudes anyway? Aren't they just variations on regular henchmen types, except you need to follow with a beatdown in some cases or use two combo takedowns? I really don't see the problem unless they just flat out don't have animations for it (at which case neither does Nightwing or Harley; Robin might though, not sure about Red Hood). This is hilarious because all the playable challenge map characters had no problems with fighting Titans or the hammer/sickle bros in AC challenge maps either.

Batman definitely has unique animations for handling the big henchmen. But as you said, it's silly with how in Arkham City they made all the characters be able to fight all the different enemy types, but in Arkham Knight it's a weird mix. I just uploaded a Catwoman run, and you can see here the big henchmen later in the run are now just generic dudes with shields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nVLIMz5tc

Harley and Red Hood are even more limited. When you play as them, all ninjas are replaced with henchmen with knives. I don't think Nightwing and Robin are actually limited at all.

I was convinced... convinced... that SLI would be supported with the re-release.

I have a G-sync monitor, which helps a lot, but at 3440x1440, I really need a working SLI profile. Good thing I have about two hundred games in my Steam library that I've barely looked at.

It's weird... I've got all these great games to play... yet I obsess over the ones that don't work... and when they finally do work, I admire them for about fifteen minutes, and then go back to playing FIFA, a game that I despise.

Top Bottom