• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

Totally worth playing - it's fun.

Not worth $40, however.

Also, Im stuck again. Not this will ever make it to OT 2, but if it does it needs to be Batman |OT| I'm fucking stuck, help pls?

vg260

I just returned my copy to Gamefly only about 50% in. I really like the comic cutscenes, but the game itself was just not fun to me. I have Arkham Origins and a huge backlog, so it ddn't really feel worth my time. I'll probably just watch the rest on youtube :(

Yanikun

Banned
And these are ex Retro guys too. Maybe they were the bad apples...

Time, money and publisher constraints. This is as much their game as Driver Renegade is VD-dev's game.

There's still some good stuff to Blackgate. It's just that talent only goes so far in the games industry, there are many other factors to take into account. That's why a lot of games from talented independent developers end up so good. They can do whatever the hell they want at their own pace and release the game when it's ready.

nampad

Totally worth playing - it's fun.

Not worth $40, however.

Also, Im stuck again. Not this will ever make it to OT 2, but if it does it needs to be Batman |OT| I'm fucking stuck, help pls?

Actually, it should be |OT| This is the fucking handheld game, go away with your Origins posts! ;)

Time, money and publisher constraints. This is as much their game as Driver Renegade is VD-dev's game.

There's still some good stuff to Blackgate. It's just that talent only goes so far in the games industry, there are many other factors to take into account. That's why a lot of games from talented independent developers end up so good. They can do whatever the hell they want at their own pace and release the game when it's ready.

Some gameplay decisions just reek of bad game design though. The pseudo 3D leveldesign with the shitty map is such an example. Things like this are inherently flawed.

vg260

Some gameplay decisions just reek of bad game design though. The pseudo 3D leveldesign with the shitty map is such an example. Things like this are inherently flawed.

Yeah for this genre, a functional map is a necessity. It's such a confusing mess.

Ridley327

Yeah for this genre, a functional map is a necessity. It's such a confusing mess.

I suspect this would be one area where the 3DS has a marked advantage over the Vita version, since the map is always present on the second screen, making it vastly easier to get a good bearing on where you're at. A mini-map would have done wonders for the Vita version, I think.

Got this on my Gamefly queue, hoping to see it sometime this week. The mixed impressions are kind of bizarre to see, though; it seems like people either love it or hate it. I'm definitely glad I didn't pay full price day one, though, as I was considering it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I suspect this would be one area where the 3DS has a marked advantage over the Vita version, since the map is always present on the second screen, making it vastly easier to get a good bearing on where you're at. A mini-map would have done wonders for the Vita version, I think.

Finally a fucking reason to feel good about the fact that I'd have to get this on 3DS!

Haven't played it yet, but continuously displayed or not, a top-down 2D map seems like an incredibly poor fit for the style of level design Armature went with.

Dayummm.. Went through the Administration building last night for all the ? marks, completed, explored all the areas - back out to see 100% exploration but I've still only got 27/34 secrets!!

Thought I went through there pretty damn thoroughly, but apparently not. Game got secrets.

Almost 6 hours in now, still haven't finished it yet, but I did spend an hour last night just looking for stuff.

Teggy

Add me to list of people who had fun with the game. Probably not worth full price given replay value, but I enjoyed it.

I will say that if I didn't have the undead Batman suit on during the final boss I have a feeling I would have been pretty frustrated by the number of times I probably would have had to restart it.

Grisby

Finished it myself. Couldn't really recommend it at $40. I just don't think it's that much fun and I found myself to be bored bout midway through. I thought the pace might pick up after getting into some new areas but I never felt like the game keep any momentum going. Controlling Batman through the world was a slow and clumsy affair.

Pros:
-Game looks nice on the vita. Sharp and there is some nice lighting here and there.
-Combat works when you're just punching dudes. There are a scant few moments where you feel like Batman, doing predator stuff.
-Vita touchscreen stuff isn't too bad. In fact, I enjoyed the code breaking mechanic of just moving the vita around to pick the numbers. Stupid, but neat.

Cons:
-Map is terrible. Lots of times in order to go right on the map I was moving left in the game world.
-Hardly any predator encounters. Could probably count them on one hand.
-In fact, there isn't that much combat at all really. I think the 2D stuff works when it's punching and kicking but the more I played it the more I realized it felt off. Not polished. Batman wouldn't flow to one guy or the next as easy as he did in AA/AC. The 2D planes just doesn't allow for a lot of dudes or large combat arenas.
-Not too many gadgets. I hated not have smoke pellets too.
-Story was boring as hell. Very thin and while I eventually got used to the new bat voice I couldn't do the same for Joker. Sounded like the guy was trying to channel Hamil at some points but not others. Really jarring.

I ended up trading the game back into Gamestop, something I rarely do but I just couldn't see myself going after the final few case secrets or playing through the game on new game plus. The last game of this ilk that I played, CV Mirror of Fate, wasn't a smash it either but I felt it was still pretty competent.

Some screens I took. Game had a clear art direction but it did end up feeling like there wasn't enough distinction between the different areas.

georly

At what price point is this worth it, if ever? Is it worth someone's TIME to play through it?

Like, say I got it used at gamestop and had 7 days to return it for full refund, is it even worth the time i'd spend playing it?

Played through the 3DS version. Yeah having that second screen for a map is helpful (even if the map isn't great, it still helps).

I was actually impressed with how good the game looked on the 3DS.

$40 is maybe a bit high for the game...I think $30 new would have been a better price. Mostly because it is a bit on the short side (my game clocked in at about 8:30, and I found nearly everything). A few control quirks here and there...i didn't run into the game-breaker...I was already done with the game when I heard about it. I personally might have had a bit easier time with the controls if I owned an 3ds XL.

Still all-in-all i enjoyed the game. I'd give it a solid B.

Eusis

At what price point is this worth it, if ever? Is it worth someone's TIME to play through it?

Like, say I got it used at gamestop and had 7 days to return it for full refund, is it even worth the time i'd spend playing it?
Probably entirely dependent on how big of a Batman fan (heh) or Metroid-type game fan you are. It's just 5 hours, there's way worse ways to spend 5 hours whereas if this actually had been 10 it'd probably be a harder argument, never mind longer.

nordique

Penguin is just rough for me - can't get past him

I have no desire to keep playing :/

And I'm such a huge Arkham fan, I think Origins on consoles is friggin fantastic.

vg260

I'd say no, quite honestly.

edit: I should say if you play a portable while traveling or to kill time out, it's not bad. If you have consoles or other options and are at home, it's probably not worth it. You've probably played better games in the genre before. I enjoyed Guacamelee so much more.

Teggy

Penguin is just rough for me - can't get past him

I have no desire to keep playing :/

And I'm such a huge Arkham fan, I think Origins on consoles is friggin fantastic.

you just need to batclaw the backpacks off his henchmen to clear a way down to him then beat his ass. Repeat.

you just need to batclaw the backpacks off his henchmen to clear a way down to him then beat his ass. Repeat.

Haha wow, I didn't even think of that. I went the "stealth" route;

Rang the alarm up top to get the henchmen away and waiting to drop down to Penguin from the middle ledge - and pretty much the same for the following waves, just ensured to ring an alarm the furthest away from Penguin and wait..

Seems like there's a couple ways to do it which is cool.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
almost release time in the UK for the 3DS, shall I pull the trigger or sit this one out

can someone sell me on the Pros and Cons of this game please

Ridley327

Haven't played it yet, but continuously displayed or not, a top-down 2D map seems like an incredibly poor fit for the style of level design Armature went with.

This, I will agree with, but the 3DS definitely has an easier time with it than the Vita does, especially with how long it takes to load the map at times.

Speaking of, why the hell does the 2D map need to load at all?!

Just got it from Gamefly yesterday and am actually really enjoying it so far. I will second that I don't know if it's a $40 game; I'd probably wait until $20-30 if you're interested.

That being said, it's fun to play, it's gorgeous (at least on Vita; can' t comment on 3DS), and works pretty well as a Metroidvania. The map is admittedly pretty useless, but I'm a couple hours in so far and I've not really gotten too lost at any points. For better or worse, the game seems to leave a lot of the navigation and figuring to you, which is kind of a nice change from the norm, IMO.

Finished it yesterday, 84% and a touch under 7 hours.

The last fetch quest
finding bombs Catwoman laid out all over the place
seemed pointless and nothing more than a method of upping the game time a little.

Other than the woefully bad map, I really liked it.

Will definitely get a guide for the secrets I missed and get all the unlocks. And I'm quite interested in finding all the Clues to solve the Cases.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Impressions so far;

That map is as confusing as hell.

Textures and models on 3ds look low detail.

Combat feels like it takes a while to get into the flow, but once it does it's great.

Also some control issues , I guess due to movement mapping I had to go through a grate and on the world orientation it was facing up. So I press up on the control pad, no dice, thought I had to trigger a sequence so reloaded and tried no luck , then I pressed right and it worked. Ok is this me being stupid or bad design?

Keep it 2.5 , why allude to a 3d world and not let us have full 3d movement ?

Believe it or not I like it so far a 7.9 or 8 out of Bruce waynes dead parents

Didn't really have any interest in this game, but Gamefly sent it out to me and I fell in love with it. After you get over some initial control issues and get into the flow of combat, the game's quality shows through. It's a good translation of the console format to 2.5D gameplay.

Just finished this game at 96% on the 3DS. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was my first Arkham game and the first Batman game I've played since Gen 4. It reminded me of Castlevania: Mirror of Fate in it's use of different perspectives on a 2D plane (though this game took it much further) and the fact that it was enjoyable though not especially memorable.

Pros:
-Outside of one or two the bosses and mini bosses were great
-Moving in and out of the environment and all the different camera angles and perspectives while keeping gameplay on a 2D plane
-A handful of really well designed setpiece moments involving stealth, puzzles, and combat
-Atmosphere

Cons:
-Batman is much to slow, and it felt like there was a delay in every imput
-A few really frustrating moments where I had no idea what the game wanted from me
-Control inputs would occasionally not register
-Art Direction, while not bad, is way below the standard I expect of the Art Director of Metroid Prime

I'm definitely thinking about checking out Arkham Asylum now.

Just finished this game at 96% on the 3DS. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was my first Arkham game and the first Batman game I've played since Gen 4. It reminded me of Castlevania: Mirror of Fate in it's use of different perspectives on a 2D plane (though this game took it much further) and the fact that it was enjoyable though not especially memorable.

Pros:
-Outside of one or two the bosses and mini bosses were great
-Moving in and out of the environment and all the different camera angles and perspectives while keeping gameplay on a 2D plane
-A handful of really well designed setpiece moments involving stealth, puzzles, and combat
-Atmosphere

Cons:
-Batman is much to slow, and it felt like there was a delay in every imput
-A few really frustrating moments where I had no idea what the game wanted from me
-Control inputs would occasionally not register
-Art Direction, while not bad, is way below the standard I expect of the Art Director of Metroid Prime

I'm definitely thinking about checking out Arkham Asylum now.

After playing this game, Asylum will blow your mind.

One thing to keep in mind about the length, is this seems to keep time similar to Metroid games. You can always assume you spent a few hours longer than the game clock reflects. My final game came in at just under 10 hrs but my activity log said 15.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The map is the worst thing about this game, it makes navigation a pain, can they patch it for a side on map or perhaps a 3d rotatable wire frame style ? Lol

Pocket Gamer UK liked it
8/10

schlew

Put me in the camp of those that liked the game. Unless there's a group that loved it, because that's where I really belong.

Wasn't too bothered by many of the issues presented here. I had a really great time, and I feel it captured the essence of a Metroid-like game very well. I haven't been so compelled to go out and search every nook and cranny since Order of Ecclesia.

Blackgate really grabbed me. As much as the combat didn't work in encounters with specialized enemies (cattle prod wielders for example), I think Armature kept the combat to a low enough level, and focused on the exploration.

I was able to interview Armature's Jack Mathews (worked on the Metroid Prime trilogy, and one of directors of Blackgate), and made sure to ask about that map.

The game's map suffers from being an overhead, 2-D representation of a sophisticated 3-D world. A map akin to what we saw in the Metroid Prime games would have suited the game very well, what were the reasons behind not pursuing something similar to that?</strong>

Jack Mathews: We were hoping we could get away with a simpler map due to the 2.5D, and we were wrong. By the time we knew how badly it needed to be fixed, we were out of time.

Zoc

Almost done with this game, and while it had some great moments, I'm not too motivated to bother finishing it. Others have already pointed out all the pros and cons, and I agree with what's been said. Rather, I'll give my ideas on how it could have been improved.

First, games like this that I've enjoyed relied on making everything interconnected, and then letting the player discover those interconnections. For example, new gadgets that unlock new areas should also have creative uses in combat. Also, progressing in the map should unlock shortcuts that make backtracking less tedious, and even satisfying.

Second, as Miyamoto said, in every game it should be fun to just walk around as the main character. Arkham City fucking knocked this out of the park, and Blackgate just dropped the ball. Batman is slow and awkward all through the game. For example, I could never get the timing right on Batman's clumsy roll to avoid those annoying riot strips, so pretty soon I just walked over them and took the damage.

Third, there should constantly be new things to do as the character explores the map. New enemies requiring new tactics and gadgets should appear, the environment should change with story progression, simple puzzles should be replaced with harder ones, etc. Instead, I walked through exactly the same enemy-free areas a dozen times.

I suppose it all comes down to budget and time, but from the list above, I feel that number one in particular is something that the Metroid Prime guys should have been able to plan out in their sleep before even starting the game, or at least drawn out on napkins over a few nights of beer. Satisfyingly-placed shortcuts is something that's very simple to put in at the start of development, and very difficult to put in at the end, so the fact that it's missing points to bad planning from the start on this game.

stewy

I'm about 2 hours in and I'm finding it difficult to stay motivated. Does it get any better? Or should I trade this in while it's still worth something?

Takao

Banned
"Full pickup map next week. For real this time @kieran_128: when a patch coming for the ps vita blackgate cant find half the cases to solve" - Armature's Twitter account.

"Full pickup map next week. For real this time @kieran_128: when a patch coming for the ps vita blackgate cant find half the cases to solve" - Armature's Twitter account.

Great news. Sounds like it will save me having to follow a guide along.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not a patch, they will just put a map with all the locations on their website.

Yeah that's fine, much better.

So I had to get some extra money yesterday and worked through the game a bit more to sell it off while I can still get good money for it. Ended up enjoying it again, didn't manage to complete it but I felt the pacing picked up once you got a few more items. It was pretty fun but I did realise the map does affect things, you want to feel like you know where you are going lol. Transferred the save file and will hopefully pick it up down the line again to finish it off.

Top Bottom