• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

Grisby

WB games confirmed the glitch I found is game breaking and there is no fix except to delete your save game and start all over again.

In the industrial level, do NOT go past the water pump with an electric boomerang after you have the engineers keycard until after you have restored power or you will be saved there with no way back or forward.
Thanks for posting this man. Just reached the industrial area myself. Too bad you had to be a guinea pig, :(

Zukuu

Banned
so is the game just average?

AA: 7.5
AC: 9.5
AO:7

it's AC from a gameplay standpoint aka "more of the same" (but not as good with less options for level ups and vastly overpowered gadgets
Lightning Gloves all around and remote batclaw takedowns in predator missions)
making it a lot easier in the later part of the game. It also has plenty of bugs / hiccups and a overall pretty weak, inconsistent story that pales in comparison to AA and AC.

If you're a fan, you'll enjoy it, it's just not as good as AC. If you're a newcomer, I'd start with AC any day of the week tho.

Skyzard

Banned
AA: 7.5
AC: 9.5
AO:7

it's AC from a gameplay standpoint aka "more of the same" (but not as good with less options for level ups and vastly overpowered gadgets
Lightning Gloves all around and remote batclaw takedowns in predator missions)
making it a lot easier in the later part of the game. It also has plenty of bugs / hiccups and a overall pretty weak, inconsistent story that pales in comparison to AA and AC.

If you're a fan, you'll enjoy it, it's just not as good as AC. If you're a newcomer, I'd start with AC any day of the week tho.

Wrong thread I think, we probably should have put 3DS/Vita in the title

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699931

dreamfall

I definitely want to get it to satisfy my Batman on-the-go need, but it is a bit pricey. I'd like to save that money for Tearaway, and hope this goes on sale during Black Friday.

But I'll probably get restless, and just pick it up- even if it is pretty short.

RM8

A friend just told me he's having a lot of fun with this. Maaan, I'm not supposed to buy anything right now.

I picked this up yesterday and played it a little bit. I'm not going to keep playing it right now, because I want to beat the Wii U version first, since this takes place after that, but I think this game is pretty good. I just think this game is a 3D game trapped in a 2D game's body and that is its biggest problem. It doesn't make the game bad, but it does make it really weird and confusing.

VillageBC

I enjoy it because the combat is so fun making you feel like "the motherfucking batman" but beyond that. I am not a fan of the direction AC and AO have taken with their open worlds. I do not explore, I care not to explore so it's wasted developer effort to me. At least there's fewer green question marks littering up the city in AO. I much preferred the original AA.

I enjoy it because the combat is so fun making you feel like "the motherfucking batman" but beyond that. I am not a fan of the direction AC and AO have taken with their open worlds. I do not explore, I care not to explore so it's wasted developer effort to me. At least there's fewer green question marks littering up the city in AO. I much preferred the original AA.

........................................wrong game, wrong thread.

Does Barbara Gordon get a character trophy in the game? I realized you never get to see her butt in cutscenes and she doesn't exist outside of those

how linear is Blackgate? Are you lead by the nose like in AA?

Skyzard

Banned
We definitely should have put 3DS/Vita in the title :p

But check out VillageBC's post, Spring-Loaded, or the proper thread :p

Mideon

Just finished the game and it sucked.

Boring bland gameplay, the combat is so stripped down from the main games that its not even fun and the missions are just boring. Batman moves so sluggish its frustrating.

The main complaint if anything would be the lack of mini map in the top corner of the screen, this simple addition would have saved the thousands of times that I had to press select to view the very very confusing map.

Overall unless you get it really cheap avoid at all costs.

mauaus

Dont know what to do i just defeated
blackmask
and i dont know what to do. I dont have beta or gamma keycards nor the electricity batarang

Yanikun

Banned
The main complaint if anything would be the lack of mini map in the top corner of the screen, this simple addition would have saved the thousands of times that I had to press select to view the very very confusing map.

And that is why having two screens can be extremely useful. Your problem doesn't exist on the 3DS.

Of course, the map is still confusing in both.

Lan_97

Finished this last night. I definitely enjoyed playing it. I think my play time was 7:38 which included hunting down all the question marks on the map (though I was still missing one armor upgrade by the end). Had a few issues with the game:

- Could use an additional 1-2 more main areas.
- Needs more visual variety all around, at least between areas
- Map is confusing, but I didn't find it as frustrating as others. 3D map, like in Prime, would be a huge improvement
- No optional back touch for detective mode. Missed opportunity for a legitimate use for an often useless input.
- Needed more combat and deeper character/skill/combat development
- Final fetch quest was completely unnecessary. Scattered suit parts, upgrades, and clues already encourage players to backtrack and explore if they want to, no need to force an extra tedious 30 minutes
- Having to be wary of game breaking glitches

Overall I thought this was a fun game, and I was definitely hooked up until the fetch quest. I found the boss fights fun and interesting, but somewhat frustrating since they are all trial and error. The final boss fight I just stumbled through, because by then I had a batsuit that made you invincible[!?]. New game+ seems lacking, since only batsuit and clues carry over, no extra content, except beating the bosses in a different to get different cutscenes and unlocking the last suit part for Red Son / One Million / New52 depending on who you leave for last.

I also only paid $18 so I feel like I got my money's worth. More importantly, I feel it was worth my time.

Derrick01

Banned
So, Destructoid gave this a 3/10. Have they jumped the shark, or is it really that bad?

Did they give this 3/10 too or are you confusing the console/pc score? I know that got a 3.5 or something.

If anything this game is way more deserving of a 3 than Origins is. That game's an 8 at the lowest.

Did they give this 3/10 too or are you confusing the console/pc score? I know that got a 3.5 or something.

If anything this game is way more deserving of a 3 than Origins is. That game's an 8 at the lowest.

Shit! Gonna have to preoccupy the wait for my PS3 repair to get cracking on Origins.

Skyzard

Banned
Man I'm stuck and I don't know where to go. :(

scan the doors and stuff :p

I'm scared to keep playing this because of that bug, just like the last batman game I tried. Hope the patch is out soon. Guess I should read the spoiler carefully but man that's annoying to have a restriction like that in an exploration game.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
I give this game a 6.5/10. Some of the new stuffs they added is op like the remote claw and multi-ground takedown.

The story is lame in my opinion. I was hoping for a badass Black Mask story
, but it is the Joker again from the other 2 Batman Arkham games. All the hired assassins are side-quest villains. Some fight is so boring such as Deathstroke, which is all about mashing buttons.

Not to mention the riddler's secrets are so easy where a 2 year old can solve it and sometimes, you just walk up and grab the secret with no puzzle solving

Lima

Will totally pick this up. Is there anyone with the digital version for Vita here that could tell me what size it is? I think I need to make some room on my mem card since I only got 1GB left.

Ridley327

I give this game a 6.5/10. Some of the new stuffs they added is op like the remote claw and multi-ground takedown.

The story is lame in my opinion. I was hoping for a badass Black Mask story
, but it is the Joker again from the other 2 Batman Arkham games. All the hired assassins are side-quest villains. Some fight is so boring such as Deathstroke, which is all about mashing buttons.

Not to mention the riddler's secrets are so easy where a 2 year old can solve it and sometimes, you just walk up and grab the secret with no puzzle solving

What is with people posting normal Origins stuff in this thread?

KHlover

Banned
It's not confirmed, but some of the first screenshots released showed Xbox 360 button on-screen prompts...

Dat Developer version :p
Really, Xbox360 controllers are natively supported and thus probably the best way to go during development - at least that's what I assume

What is with people posting normal Origins stuff in this thread?
Seems like not even Gaming Enthusiasts can grasp the concept of Reading Comprehension. "Batvania" should tip anyone off. Also, no one reads OP's.

Apenheul

Given the pedigree of the developer I had very high hopes for this game, but at the current price point I'm not biting with these mixed reviews and impressions. I feel bad for Armature, having to work on two ports and a spin-off of one of the most successful IPs of the generation.

Just finished up my first playthrough of this on my Vita and enjoyed it quite a bit. I ran into a couple weird bugs, but only a couple, and nothing game breaking... certainly nothing like the complete game paralyzing cock-ups I experienced with some regularity in AC3:Liberation... Anyway, I quite enjoyed the game - it's great to play Batman on a handheld, finding the suitparts and solving the cases was fun to treasure hunting completionists like me, and I thought the boss fights were old-school, trial and error GREAT! (though none were particularly hard)... I think I would have prefered to have some enemy respawn - maybe after leaving an area and returning - as the final few turns around the maps for the last few question marks and the final fetch quest were pretty much lacking in any kind of challenge at all...

I think this game might have been better received at a $29 price point; it does pale in comparison to its console bretheren, and I would say I did prefer Mirror of Fate over-all, but this was worth playing, and I'll definitely go through it on New Game Plus to finish up the suits I haven't completed and see the different endings... so, I guess it worked for me... ymmv, etc...

Hit 77% completion last night and just did the
Joker
fight.

Overall, I've really enjoyed it so far. I've only encountered the one bug in the room with the spotlight that required a reload of the checkpoint so I could actually target it with my Batarang, but other than that, I've seen a pretty spotless run (maybe luckily, compared to others I guess).

Will probably finish up all the collectibles and armours and stuff before I jump into the PS3 Origins. Not sure I'll be able to get Plat in this as I've missed the 100 hit combo trophy and I'm not sure I'll be doing another play-through just for that.

Lima

So I said fuck it I'm a big Batman fan and I play every Metroidvania I come across, so I downloaded the game on Vita last night and finished it in one session.

It is a bad Batman game but still a solid enough Metroidvania at least. My biggest complaint is how everything in this goddamn prison was so gray and you could easily get lost because of that.

So yeah pretty average game. I would give this 5/10.

Hiccup

Banned
So I said fuck it I'm a big Batman fan and I play every Metroidvania I come across, so I downloaded the game on Vita last night and finished it in one session.

It is a bad Batman game but still a solid enough Metroidvania at least. My biggest complaint is how everything in this goddamn prison was so gray and you could easily get lost because of that.

So yeah pretty average game. I would give this 5/10.

Given this I'll wait for a price drop. $20 seems okay.

Top Bottom