• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

Yopis

Cries of the game being easy scared me away from buying. Guess that money will go to Last of us never got around to playing that. Will grab this on sale at some point.

Why would anyone think this would be a good game, you ask? Did you know that the studio behind this title is composed of numerous ex-Retro guys who were all key members of the Metroid Prime development team? They are one of the few teams I would expect to be capable of creating a good Metroid style game.

LOL.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If the game really is only around five hours long, it would have been better as a downloadable title for $15-$20.

I actually kind of like it thus far myself, but it's definitely not a classic. The fact is, applying the Arkham formula to a side scroller isn't a great idea as the mechanics are just kind of sluggish in comparison to a proper Metroid title.

This game seems pretty decent so far. It's a bit easy, but I thought that combat in the console games was too (wish there as a hard difficulty option). The "sluggishness" is the same as the console games. So far I think they've done a good job in recreating the feel of the console games in 2.5D. Although I don't know if that's even the best way to describe it since the camera is not fixed to a side view.

I've never felt like any of these Batman games were Metroidvania titles, BTW. They don't have the same type of exploration elements that those games do.

Zoc

Despite the mixed reviews, I want to pick this up. It's just the kind of thing I want to play to on the Vita, but the fact that the DD version is 39.99, instead of 35.99 like all the other titles, annoys me to the point that I don't feel like buying it. Damn.

Yanikun

Banned
I'd like to read your impressions when you have some.

It started really disappointing but once you get into the prison it's rather good. I think IGN, in their original preview a few weeks back at the NYCC, were spot on when they said that "it feels like a handheld version of Batman." It's not console-quality, which can be disappointing to Vita owners who expect games at that level for a brand like Batman. It's a fancy version of what you'd normally get from previous handhelds.

Also, it's not a great game either. If people got hyped thinking that if those guys worked at Retro, then this must be brilliant, then they'll be very disappointed. It's good but it feels like it could have been made by plenty of other teams that don't have their pedigree.

It's not as good as Castlevania Mirror of Fate either. I guess the one thing Blackgate does better is that, in my case at least, I really have to backtrack and scratch my head to find what I should do next, whereas MoF was very linear, pointing you in the right direction every time. I like that, it's nice to have less hand-holding.

Graphics-wise, I wish I could get it in cartridge form so that I could play it on my OG 3DS. The game looks good, but there's the same amount of aliasing as in MoF on the XL, which is a problem that stops being one when played on the OG or 2DS's smaller, sharper screen. Still, quite a few textures or character models are not as good in this as in MoF. You can tell the development time for this was probably significantly shorter, or maybe it's just that doing two versions gave them less time for polish. Not to say that it was rushed, it just lacks polish.

Overall though my impressions are positive. The presentation made it look better than it actually is, but it's a fun game regardless of that. I think it would have benefited from being $30 instead of $40, as you kinda feel like you're paying an extra ten dollars for the Batman brand, but it's a worthy handheld companion - especially as far as Western third-party support on handheld goes.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah you are paying extra for batman, but it's fun :)

Bit worried it will end too soon though.

Shame NG+ seriously doesn't take things up a notch, would love a patch or even dlc for that tbh.

Loving the loading times on Vita games recently.

--help please:
"follow penguin's trail" - just beat the wolverine guy that said you would do the same in my position. I'm stuck in a total loop. going forward there is just a hot pipe and a locked door. Going backwards the exit seems one way (only downwards, and I'm at the bottom - as in there is no exit! Somehow penguin teleported to the middle of the map as an updated objective randomly popped up...)
much appreciated :) I took screenshots in case no one has any clue what I'm talking about.

Effect

Why would anyone think this would be a good game, you ask? Did you know that the studio behind this title is composed of numerous ex-Retro guys who were all key members of the Metroid Prime development team? They are one of the few teams I would expect to be capable of creating a good Metroid style game.

True. They left at different times. However here's the thing. The quality at Retro Studios didn't drop. Whatever important positions they might have held they weren't so key that things would fall apart without them. Nor does it seem they were/are as great as some would like everyone to believe. This was their chance and it seems they didn't deliver.

True. They left at different times. However here's the thing. The quality at Retro Studios didn't drop. Whatever important positions they might have held they weren't so key that things would fall apart without them. Nor does it seem they were/are as great as some would like everyone to believe. This was their chance and it seems they didn't deliver.

People may not like this, but I think this speaks of the impact Nintendo had on the studio. Watching videos of the game it seems like nothing is refined. I haven't played the game but watching videos of the fights it seems so sluggish and slow. I think this is another case of these groups that work with Nintendo have great ideas, and concepts, but they're not that good at refining them and turning that bit of coal into a diamond.

Hearing the pedigree from this studio, I had really high hopes for the game, but the early videos made me wonder, and as more videos game out it totally put me off to the game. I'm waiting till I can get it super cheap.

People may not like this, but I think this speaks of the impact Nintendo had on the studio. Watching videos of the game it seems like nothing is refined. I haven't played the game but watching videos of the fights it seems so sluggish and slow. I think this is another case of these groups that work with Nintendo have great ideas, and concepts, but they're not that good at refining them and turning that bit of coal into a diamond.

Hearing the pedigree from this studio, I had really high hopes for the game, but the early videos made me wonder, and as more videos game out it totally put me off to the game. I'm waiting till I can get it super cheap.

I'm not so sure. You have to also take into account that this game had a smaller development cycle, budget, and team size than Retro. I'm not saying Nintendo has no effect on Retro, but they are clearly fantastic developers. Tanabe said he wished more western devs were like Retro. Miyamoto said he would trust them to develop a Zelda game on their own. And I think it was Iwata that handpicked them to help on MK7.

Yanikun

Banned
Nor does it seem they were/are as great as some would like everyone to believe. This was their chance and it seems they didn't deliver.
I think this is another case of these groups that work with Nintendo have great ideas, and concepts, but they're not that good at refining them and turning that bit of coal into a diamond.

Even VD-dev made Driver Renegade. Those guys went from having all the money and support possible from Nintendo, to tight deadlines and budget from Warner Bros. If it's not refined, it probably has more to do with that, don't you guys think? I'm fairly confident the development time and budget in this was shorter and smaller than what Nintendo gave them for Metroid...

PaulloDEC

OK, can anyone tell me how to get to the
f***ing exercise yard? I've unlocked the grapnel gun, but the game isn't giving me much indication of where I need to use it.

Skyzard

Banned
OK, can anyone tell me how to get to the
f***ing exercise yard? I've unlocked the grapnel gun, but the game isn't giving me much indication of where I need to use it.

That area with like 3 floors that you can see as horizontal layers - some have holes in them. There were dudes all over there and the top floor on the right was blocked by some gate. You need to go to the first floor (hook to the left), go through the ducts to go to the second floor and then you get a prompt to use it - or you may have to scan it first, I forget.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Polygon - 8/10
Digital Trends - 3.5/5
CVG - 6/10
Hobby Consolas - 80/100

It seems like this is the best western third party handheld game this gen. But of course the competition for the game is Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, and Castlevania: Mirror of Fate so that's not much of a compliment.

What made me mad is how the prison setting is being overused in this series. I've loved the console games and just started both Origin titles. This on 3DS is a tad ugly to look at. I'm enjoying it, but I want to go back to the console version pronto! I got passed the first area on Blackgate and the setting was basically Arkham Asylum all over again.

The level design is good. MoF had terrible levels because there were no creativity and everything felt like it was either sluggish or it was too easy outside a few missed jumps. I want to like this game. I just spent the cash for the handheld download and I'm happier with the PC version I have. That should be a normal feeling, so all I need is to get into the Batman mood and get over it. I just wish the developers would take Batman out of this secluded environment and get him somewhere else in Gotham. He should be batteling sharks by now. Pun intended, I did play AC.

There should be an open world Batman game.

Grisby

Played about thirty minutes or so. Game's alright. Feels kind of sluggish just getting around.

The combat works well enough on a 2d plane.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Sanke__

I didn't know Sony had gone third party with supporting Vita. :p
They are trying to distance themselves from it.

But on a side note, im really sick of vita and 3ds getting lumped together for handheld versions of games. I feel like both versions suffer tremendously as a result.

so aside from Gamespot review this seems alright so far.

It's a fair bit better than alright.

While the 3D effect is nice, the game looks many times better on the Vita. If you have both platforms, grab the Vita version. I bought both - while I don't regret the 3DS version (sucker for good 3D) - on Vita, everything looks nice.

Really nice.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's a fair bit better than alright.

While the 3D effect is nice, the game looks many times better on the Vita. If you have both platforms, grab the Vita version. I bought both - while I don't regret the 3DS version (sucker for good 3D) - on Vita, everything looks nice.

Really nice.

Yeah 3.5/5 7/10 7.5/10 8/10 is above average and in the above average/good realm and going with sites these days only AAA games can got 9 and more so it's what handheld games can get.

anyway WB need to put a demo for this.

Ridley327

I'm liking it quite a bit so far, but I do think that the game's attempts at being a more 3D 2.5D game can fuck with the exploration a bit. It gets really easy to lose your bearings, because you can get turned around quite easily as a result of the camera, err, turning you around.

watershed

Banned
Hmmm...looking at the reviews and impressions, I'm gonna sit this one out until there is a steep discount. Ace Attorney will keep me busy for now!

Screw the bad reviews, I got it and I like it so far. Like Mirror of Fate, screw the reviews I liked it.

As for Blackgate, best handheld Batman game + some MetroVania = good enough for me.

But wow, the game looks beautiful on the OLED! I said "wow" once the cut scene was over and went into the game. My jaws dropped for a moment.

Best portable Batman game so far. Much better than that ios stuff where you just swipe the screen with no story whatsoever using real money to buy power ups. If reviewers thought Blackgate's story was bad, the ios version story is just "criminals have one night to kill Batman! Can Batman survive?"

Isn't it bizarre reviewers gave the ios Batman game higher scores?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't expecting a Metroidvania at all, so I'm ok with this judging by the videos. Will get one a sale.

Peff

--help please:
"follow penguin's trail" - just beat the wolverine guy that said you would do the same in my position. I'm stuck in a total loop. going forward there is just a hot pipe and a locked door. Going backwards the exit seems one way (only downwards, and I'm at the bottom - as in there is no exit! Somehow penguin teleported to the middle of the map as an updated objective randomly popped up...)
much appreciated :) I took screenshots in case no one has any clue what I'm talking about.

Hm, I don't remember any problems with that part, upload the screenshots. You can beat 95% of the Penguin's area with the basic gear and the game will make it really clear when you can't go on, so you probably missed scanning something.

TentPole

Alright I am horribly stuck. In the Administration wing I just deactivated the bombs so that I can get into the room
where the warden is tied up
. But nothing happens and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to free him.

nampad

Oh my god Peff, you weren't kidding when you said Armature has a trick up their sleeve to lengthen the game. They have to be kidding, what kind of bullshit are they trying to pull? That's just bad game design, annoying and useless.

While I am ranting about annoying and useless things in the game, whats with those riot strips? They add nothing to the game except slowing you down because you have to do a sluggish roll. They don't really deal damage and aren't included in any other way in the gameplay. At least add them to some combats to freshen up the encounters a little bit, which are already kind of boring because they aren't varied and there aren't enough enemies at once.

Autofokus

Damn, I probably went into a progress-stopping bug. :( (Vita) There are no real spoilers, I'm tagging it just to be sure.

After I got the first keycard (green) I went all the way back where I first got the Gel Launcher (there was a collectible a few rooms away I wanted to get). In that cell, you can't go back the way you came, you're forced to leave down the hole (made with the Gel Launcher). Normally, at the end of the tunnel you can call an elevator - but now, the switch is deactivated because I need to first 'restore the power'.
The Checkpoint Auto-Save triggered in that area, so I'm stuck and can't go back.. :(

Yanikun

Banned
It seems like this is the best western third party handheld game this gen. But of course the competition for the game is Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, and Castlevania: Mirror of Fate so that's not much of a compliment.

Eh... what? Mirror of Fate is a hundred times better than Blackgate. Everything about it is superior, except it is a bit more linear which isn't to everyone's taste. Play. The. Game.

For the life of me I can't understand the negative reaction the game got. Blackgate feels like a game that was developed in ~18 months on two platforms. Mirror of Fate feels like a game that was developed in two years on one platform.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This uk later release date is annoying as hell, I am going on a trip to Brussels , I wanted to have this to play on the train. Oh well just have to wait, this lego marvel and Zelda are gonna make 2013 go out with a bang

Eh... what? Mirror of Fate is a hundred times better than Blackgate. Everything about it is superior, except it is a bit more linear which isn't to everyone's taste. Play. The. Game.

For the life of me I can't understand the negative reaction the game got. Blackgate feels like a game that was developed in ~18 months on two platforms. Mirror of Fate feels like a game that was developed in two years on one platform.

Eh....(sigh)....

....Yes and no.

Castlevania Mirror of Fate is an awesome game on 3DS. It reeks of polish. On another platform, it's probably missing what made it feel special, in the transition from its 3D 3DS origins.

Batman Arkham Blackgate is an awesome game on PSVita. It reeks of polish. On another platform, it loses the extra shine - the production assets that give even fights and detective mode immersion.

I have BOTH the Vita and 3DS version and have been switching and comparing. Here is my best summarization:

The vita version is like MK9 Komplete on consoles. It feels better, more immersive and like an/a Batman Arkham game.

The 3DS version feels and looks like MK Vita in comparison. The core is there, but the entire feel and beauty was lost.

I'd even say the graphical drop is comparable to my MK comparison :(

----

If you own only 3DS, it's worthy of being in your collection. Heck, I might be more impressed if I didn't open the Vita version first.

Having said that, on Vita it feels like an 8/8.25 game.

On 3DS, a 7/6.5 game.

tkscz

Got the 3DS version and they could have did a hell of a lot better in the graphics department.

That said, so far this is actually turning out to play like a pathfinder (Metroidvania). Sure, the game tells me where I should go, but allows and encourages exploration. It drops hints of where I should be, but allows the player to find the path of which they should be on. And even when the path is wrong, it rewards the player with something.

That's how it plays thus far anyway. Not sure how the rest will play out. Though I have found 2 glitches. Not game killing in the least, one is actually helpful, but they are still there.

One glitch
happens in combat. Batman won't hit get the final hit in, when the game zooms in for drama's sake. So you get a little stuck, and the badguy just stands there.

The other
happens when you are running from the joker gas in the vents. If you press R while dropping down where the first electric wave is, you'll bat-hook yourself back up to the previous vent where there is no joker gas.
This one was pretty helpful, as I was low on health.

Yanikun

Banned
Eh....(sigh)....

....Yes and no.

Castlevania Mirror of Fate is an awesome game on 3DS. It reeks of polish. On another platform, it's probably missing what made it feel special, in the transition from its 3D 3DS origins.

Batman Arkham Blackgate is an awesome game on PSVita. It reeks of polish. On another platform, it loses the extra shine - the production assets that give even fights and detective mode immersion.

I have BOTH the Vita and 3DS version and have been switching and comparing. Here is my best summarization:

The vita version is like MK9 Komplete on consoles. It feels better, more immersive and like an/a Batman Arkham game.

The 3DS version feels and looks like MK Vita in comparison. The core is there, but the entire feel and beauty was lost.

I'd even say the graphical drop is comparable to my MK comparison :(

----

If you own only 3DS, it's worthy of being in your collection. Heck, I might be more impressed if I didn't open the Vita version first.

Having said that, on Vita it feels like an 8/8.25 game.

On 3DS, a 7/6.5 game.

This isn't about bells and whistles. The music in MoF is undeniably far better than the music in Blackgate. The castle in MoF is undeniably much more varied than the rather bland prison in Blackgate. The enemies in MoF are undeniably more inspired and unique than "organized thug" and "gun-wielding thug." The characters in MoF are faster and more agile than Batman, and the controls more responsive. The combat is undeniably deeper in MoF, with 22 different moves compared to four different button presses in Blackgate. The story is undeniably more ambitious and inspired in MoF, with three (and a quarter?) characters spanning three generations, told in non-chronological order through actual 3D cut-scenes rather than 2D comic panels, and a lot less bland than "Batman, three bad guys took control of a prison. Release the hostages." The game is also longer and harder.

What does Blackgate have?

This isn't about bells and whistles. The music in MoF is undeniably far better than the music in Blackgate. The castle in MoF is undeniably much more varied than the rather bland prison in Blackgate. The enemies in MoF are undeniably more inspired and unique than "organized thug" and "gun-wielding thug." The characters in MoF are faster and more agile than Batman, and the controls more responsive. The combat is undeniably deeper in MoF, with 22 different moves compared to four different button presses in Blackgate. The story is undeniably more ambitious and inspired in MoF, with three (and a quarter?) characters spanning three generations, told in non-chronological order through actual 3D cut-scenes rather than 2D comic panels, and a lot less bland than "Batman, three bad guys took control of a prison. Release the hostages." The game is also longer and harder.

What does Blackgate have?

The Goddamn Batman.

Speaks volumes when MOF is better than this game

Skyzard

Banned
[EDIT] - Nevermind lol, you are right, I missed scanning something. Dangnabbit. I'm doing way too much backtracking because of all the metroidvania talk!

---- do I have to beat another boss before I can go after Penguin? Got out of the loop and I can exit the area to go to another, but I can't see to get to penguin where he is on my map. No where to go...the thing in the room nearby needs an alpha sequencer..

Hm, I don't remember any problems with that part, upload the screenshots. You can beat 95% of the Penguin's area with the basic gear and the game will make it really clear when you can't go on, so you probably missed scanning something.

I missed scanning something the last time I got stuck so I was quite careful this time...went back and forth quite a lot too :( Do you remember what you did here:
fZ79NQp.jpg

So to the right is a locked door. If you scan the scene, the pipe on the mid-right side (top section, in the background) says it has been damaged and very hot steam is coming out. There is also a door in the far background (left side) that I can't access at all, tried previous scenes/rooms as well.

Going backwards, (at this circled point in the map):

I went down that way to get to where I am, but seems I can't go back up.

Stuck for now, will try again but not sure what else I can do. Boy who cried wolf? Finally actually bugged? :p

Peff

[EDIT]
---- do I have to beat another boss before I can go after Penguin? Got out of the loop and I can exit the area to go to another, but I can't see to get to penguin where he is on my map. No where to go...the thing in the room nearby needs an alpha sequencer..

Yes. Each area has a mid-boss and a boss, you can beat the mid-boss anytime but to reach the Joker/Penguin/Black Mask you need another area's gear upgrade. In Penguin's case if you've unlocked the Lighthouse you can't do anything else right now.

Top Bottom