• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

GetemMa

Batman x Metroid seems like a dream come true. Shame about those scores.

I don't think it is very much like Metroid.

Metroid is all about exploration at free will and unlocking mechanics that open up other areas.

It doesn't sound like this game has much of either. It sounds like Castevania 3DS and I thought that game kind of sucked.

SpokkX

Rare, Silicon Knights, Left Field Producions.....
Now partly Retro through Armature?

The Nintendo curse strikes again..

That would be me :p So...

+ As said before, the presentation is fantastic. Native resolution, solid framerate, smooth transitions between rooms, great atmosphere... even if the game takes place in one place, each location still manages to feel distinct, and while the Vita lacks 3D, the camerawork is still appreciated. Voice actors do a good job with what little they have to work with and the music isn't exactly memorable, but it works well in the heat of the moment.
+ Gear gating works nicely. You have to do a fair bit of backtracking to each area, but thanks to the new gadgets you'll be able to open new shortcuts and paths to upgrades, which prevents it from being tedious.
+ Similarly, the area layouts can get dense at times. Metroidvanias are becoming more and more commonplace nowadays, but that feeling of "Alright, which way?" will never get old. That said, sometimes graphics are a little too busy and they can obscure air duct entrances, which might be even worse on 3DS. Hint:
There's no need to backtrack after defeating Grundy
+ Some people will probably find the bosses frustrating, but I'd still argue they're a highlight. Other than
Catwoman/Bronze Tiger
they're all unique and represent the only times you're likely to see the game over screen. In particular,
the Penguin's Freeze-like stealth sequence and Black Mask's point-and-click "fight" were among the series' best bosses. Not the highest of praise, but still, they're good
+ There are actual puzzles at some points. It's nothing too fancy, but it adds variety.
+ The hacking mini-game treads that fine line between "annoying mini-game" and "what's the point of even having this?" well. It's quick, it gets a little more complex with each new security code and it doesn't pop up too often.

- I think by far the biggest issue with the game is that it's EXTREMELY easy. I'm not going to pretend the console games were Ghost 'n' Goblins, but even leaving aside the fact that the AI was more aggressive, Blackgate doesn't have the enemy progression its brethren do. You have the fodder, the knife and taser guys (and very rarely do you ever see these two together or more than one at the same time), but that's it for the entire game. Add to that Batman's responsiveness, and enemies are little more than a waste of time. Things get more interesting during bosses, but it's not enough.
- All of that extends to predator sequences, and it's even worse there. They're very far apart, it only goes up to four enemies at a time at best (when Batman can destroy two armed men with ease here) and just like with combat, what you see is what you get. No takedowns from above or other skills that you don't have from the beginning, no detective mode jammers, no suicide collars, nada. It's too bad, because one of the bosses actually does try to push the envelope and it's intense, but also a one-off.
- Optional upgrades are unexciting. You've got several physical power-ups like health or extra damage, which are completely worthless, batsuits (each of which requires five different pick-ups) and hidden items around the backgrounds which serve as side-quests and unlock concept art. There's nothing here quite like finding those first life/missile tanks in a Metroid game, but at least figuring out how to reach some of them is fun.
- Likewise, the new gear you find through the game is not much better, but to be fair it's not really their fault. The problem is that anybody familiar with this series will figure out almost the entire gear tree from barely playing ten-fifteen minutes:
it's pretty much Asylum's, Gel Launcher, Line Launcher, stronger decryption...
. You do get a couple of new twists for some gadgets, but they only come to play towards the end of the game, and there's very little new here otherwise.
- It can take time to get used to how the map works, but I guess a normal map wouldn't have worked well with all the background/foreground stuff.
- Of all the things from the Metroid Prime series to take inspiration from, the pre-ending fetch quest probably shouldn't have been one of them. It's not too terrible, though.
-
Arkham Batman just can't catch a break, it seems. We just can't go an entire game without someone outsmarting him, haha.

Finally, the infamous length :p. I think one extra area/main enemy would have been perfect, but to be honest I didn't really feel that shortchanged. It's probably similar in volume of content to Shadow Complex, perhaps even a little more, so that's a good measure stick. All in all, while perhaps not long/hard enough for a full price purchase, it's still worth a playthrough, especially for people who liked Asylum more than City, and more so if that budget price HD downloadable release ends up happening next year. Certainly a good effort from Armature.

I'm still far from finishing it, but I pretty much agree with everything you said. It's fun, but very very easy.

About the scores, 5/10 from Gamespot... seriously? It's not the perfect game, but no way it's under 6/10.

Skyzard

Banned
In store right now... Not convinced after those scores as well... Really want to buy. Hmm screw it.
Will let you lot know.

romulus91

serious question.... i purchased castlevania on 3ds after reading this thread to fill my urges.... should i buy batman for 35 dollars or will MoF be enough/better?

Autofokus

I'm still far from finishing it, but I pretty much agree with everything you said. It's fun, but very very easy.

About the scores, 5/10 from Gamespot... seriously? It's not the perfect game, but no way it's under 6/10.
Same here, it's easy, especially for people who played the Arkham games before. But I don't get the low scores. Gamespot also gave Origins a 6/10.

Eusis

In store right now... Not convinced after those scores as well... Really want to buy. Hmm screw it.
Will let you lot know.
For whatever it's worth the ones that are binary go "yeah play this game", and going by Kotaku's review I guess it depends entirely on if you want a Metroid style game or want it as a Batman fan, as the latter may be disappointing given how the story turned out.

VanWinkle

Hmm I think I may return it to amazon when it comes in the mail today. Its too bad.

Edit: I don't know. I guess the reviews aren't that bad. I liked the Kotalu review. Most in-depth AND the most positive.

Skyzard

Banned
Okay so the challenge isn't huge but it's still there (sometimes), I'm enjoying it :)

Up to you lot. Probably not best to get this digitally straight away.

Didn't want to carry on reading more reviews as I picked it up, like to make my own mind up.

nampad

The beaten thugs clip through the ground and disappear, lol. The first time I just thought it was a bug because they fell into a weird corner.

Yanikun

Banned
The game still isn't up on the NA eShop yet :(

I like Kotaku a lot, so I was gonna get it anyway, but it's nice to see the game isn't getting unanimously mediocre reviews.

GeekyDad

Disappointed we're not really hearing about differences between the two versions (Vita/3DS). As a 3DS owner, I'd like to make sure I'm not getting a port that didn't quite make the transition fully intact.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Any solid 3ds impressions ?

Am bummed out the noe are getting this two weeks later than everyone else, what's the reason?

I'm not expecting the greatest game ever, give me mof with smoother frame rate, more exploration and varied bosses and I'll be happy, just wana know what are the plus and minus points of the 3ds if it's the same game just less sharp less effects I can deal with that , so long as the overall game play and design is a solid game , I'm thinking it will be between 7/10 -8.5/10 , I can live with that

Yanikun

Banned
Disappointed we're not really hearing about differences between the two versions (Vita/3DS). As a 3DS owner, I'd like to make sure I'm not getting a port that didn't quite make the transition fully intact.

According to IGN:
Arkham Origins Blackgate is virtually identical on 3DS and Vita, but the Vita version looks a little bit better and it’s easier to sweep a room in Detective Mode with your finger on the Vita’s touchscreen than it is to use the Circle Pad to scroll around the screen on 3DS. It looks decent in 3D on 3DS, but you won’t be missing anything if you leave it turned off – and the cut scenes are only displayed in 2D as well.

From the GameZone preview:
Coming to both 3DS and Playstation Vita, this portable game has the same basic features across both handhelds, but visually the differences are quite apparent. While the Vita is the more powerful platform, the difference in visual fidelity on 3DS isn’t all bad news. The 3D effect works quite well in a 2.5D setting, and the game does a good job of moving the perspective around to take advantage of the effect. If you like 3D in your games, Blackgate should be a treat on 3DS, even if it doesn’t have the detail of its Vita counterpart.

On Vita the game has better textures, models, and effects. It was apparent that Blackgate had better lighting effects on Vita, with more appropriate blacks, shadows, and colorful neon lights setting a Gotham scene. One rain scene had an obnoxious, blotchy rain effect on the 3DS, but the higher resolution on Vita allowed them to make the effect much more subtle. Overall, the Vita version falls closer in line with the console Arkham games.

That said, while the demo wasn’t a final version of Blackgate, I wasn’t particularly blown away by the performance on Vita. Especially in terms of character models, the game looked more like an up-rezzed port of the 3DS version than a version on a handheld capable of accurately capturing the subtleties of Nathan Drake in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It didn’t help that right across from it was a pretty impressive port of Injustice: Gods Among Us running on Vita hardware.

Beyond the graphics, both versions of the game played fine.

[...]

Unless you own both a 3DS and a Vita, your version of Arkham Origins Blackgate has likely already been decided. That said, if you really like 3D, the 3DS version is probably the one you want. If you want sharper graphics, but maybe not the best the Vita is capable of, you’ll want that version.

The IGN video review shows almost exclusively 3DS footage, and the game looks close enough to the Vita version to me - especially when you consider the different screen sizes, the higher definition probably doesn't matter all that much.

vct3.png

bkob.png

(not 3DS resolution and IGN video quality, but you can get an idea)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well so long as both versions are solid games and not much between them in differences , I'm happy and waiting patiently for my game to show up

Played the opening segments of both this on Vita and Origins on PS3 last night and I honestly don't know which one feels like it was leading me by the nose more at this point :/

But if nothing else... boy oh boy it looks tasty on that sweet sweet OLED. Very nice visuals and smooth framerate so far. Looking forward to playing some more later :)

SpokkX

The thing that really seems to break this game is that it, yet again, takes place in a prision.

And a prision that seems less diverse than in Arkham Prison (that was really varied and well designed)

They should have tried something completely new instead

GeekyDad

"Beyond the graphics, both versions of the game played fine."

Yeah, that's really my only concern. Differences in visual quality are to be expected. Just wanted to make sure the framerate wasn't botched or there were loads of glitches, etc. Sometimes those differences can be extreme across platforms.

Sounds like a really good game for what it is, though. Look forward to picking up a copy.

eznark

Banned
Just finished up Killzone Mercenary and the scores are in line with what I expected so I guess this will be my next Vita game. Looking forward to another apparently solid Vita game.

nampad

Played some more. Game is getting a little bit better with more gadgets.
The bossfights are very disappointing so far. I did
Catwoman, Solomon Grundy, Bronze Tiger, Deathstroke and Penguin
and only the latter was kind of interesting.

Are there any challenges in this game like in the console ones? Or is it just story mode and that's it?

Haven't seen any (Riddler) challenges yet and I have played quite a while.

Sigh, I was really hoping this would be good enough to justify a full price purchase. Well, it shouldn't be too long before I can get it for $20-$25 given the current handheld market.

Can someone who's beaten the game spoil me, given this bit from the Kotaku review?

Or maybe Batman simply needs more interesting enemies to bring some more fantastic moves out of him. Metroid’s Samus Aran and Castlevania’s various Belmonts have enemies to roll under, zap with the aforementioned freeze rays, or to cut down in midflight. In Blackgate, Batman’s mostly got dudes in orange jumpsuits to punch. Send in the space aliens.
Or… at least do more with the surprise enemies that Blackgate teases will show up in a some sort of sequel. I won’t ruin it here, but as been-there-done-that as Blackgate’s setting and enemies are, a subplot and ending sequence introduce some classic DC characters into the fiction who seem primed to torment Batman in a future game. For fans of a certain DC cast of characters that I won't ruin for you now, this game ends on a very exciting and promising note.

Peff

Can someone who's beaten the game spoil me, given this bit from the Kotaku review?

Sure.
The game is an undercover operation by Amanda Waller to recruit members for the Suicide Squad. By the end of the game she gets Bronze Tiger and Deadshot, which would theoretically hint at Rocksteady continuing from City while the odd years are filled with more younger Batman games. Then again, it is a handheld game, so don't take teases too seriously.

well the scores were disappointing :(

They really shouldn't have tried to smack as much arkham console gameplay into this and should have just went 100% at making a metroidvania experience instead of halfassing.

Why is the scanning so freaking slow? I don't recall loading stuff to scan a damn grate in the console games.

Yanikun

Banned
Any reviews for the 3DS version?

The IGN review is of the 3DS version. Pretty much all footage in it is of the 3DS one, though the reviewer seems to have also played the Vita version a little bit since he knows how Detective Mode works on the Vita.

GamesRadar has also played both:
Both versions of Blackgate have their benefits and drawbacks. The Vita version has infinitely better textures and superior character models, which makes the graphics look phenomenal. The 3DS' visuals aren't pure guano, but when the camera zooms in for the last slow-mo punch of a fight, it's like looking at a PS1 game. On the flipside, 3DS players will love having a minimap that's visible at all times, the subtle depth of field effect, and Detective Mode controls that feel smoother. Having to poke your Vita screen to uncover hidden items will often obscure whatever you're looking for, like trying to play Where's Waldo when your thumb's obscuring any point of interest.

Really, it seems to be exactly the same game. Nothing seems different apart from 3D, the map on the bottom screen, and inevitable graphical differences. No need for two separate reviews.

Despite the reviews (and my better judgement), I went ahead and bought it for Vita this morning; I'm just a sucker for anything that resembles a Metroidvania game.

I really wish we could get a true Metroidvania though. Aliens: Colonial Marines and Mirror of Fate didn't quite scratch that itch. Same goes for Aquaria and Dust: An Elysian Tail, both of which I've seen labeled as Metroidvania's. The GBA and DS Castlevania games almost became comfort food at a certain point. Sure, the formula didn't change much, but for me it never got old, and every 2 years or so, I'd pour hours into the new entry. Even it was just a clone, I wish someone would make a suitable replacement. The games that get called Metroidvania games nowadays just don't have a diverse enough amount of upgrades and powerups to make the worlds and environments feel as layered at the Metroid and Castlevania games they get compared to.

repeater

I haven't played the game yet, so I obviously don't know whether it's good or not, but anyone who's getting freaked out solely in virtue of the review scores should try to remember the debacle with the Killzone: Mercenary scores..

Yanikun

Banned
Should be another 20 minutes before the eShop finally updates, I think. Then another ~12 hours for the game download to finish and I'll be ready to sink my teeth into it.

People want another good metroidvaina game.

:(

I can understand wanting a Metroidvania, but why would anyone think this would be a good game? It's like expecting Mirrors of Fate to be a good game. I really wanted to pull my hair out watching the gameplay footage. It was infuriating to watch how bland and boring it played out.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Despite the reviews (and my better judgement), I went ahead and bought it for Vita this morning; I'm just a sucker for anything that resembles a Metroidvania game.

I really wish we could get a true Metroidvania though. Aliens: Colonial Marines and Mirror of Fate didn't quite scratch that itch. Same goes for Aquaria and Dust: An Elysian Tail, both of which I've seen labeled as Metroidvania's. The GBA and DS Castlevania games almost became comfort food at a certain point. Sure, the formula didn't change much, but for me it never got old, and every 2 years or so, I'd pour hours into the new entry. Even it was just a clone, I wish someone would make a suitable replacement. The games that get called Metroidvania games nowadays just don't have a diverse enough amount of upgrades and powerups to make the worlds and environments feel as layered at the Metroid and Castlevania games they get compared to.
Have you tried guacamelee and knytt underground(i really loved this but it's not for everyone though)?

People were hyped over this game!? I saw all the gameplay previews and they reek of slow, painful, and dull.

I think that the constant reminder that Armature was founded by a lot of ex-Retro guys kept that glimmer of hope going that this would turn out better than it looked, especially in the context of a Metroidvania game. I don't think I was every hyped, but had hope.

Have you tried guacamelee and knytt underground(this is not for everyone though)?

Forgot about Guacamelee! That was a great game, and really had a good speed to it; definitely the closest we've got to a true Metroidvania game. Shadow Complex was pretty good as well, although I sold my 360 and don't have access to it anymore. I got Knytt Underground for free through PS+; played it for an hour or so and yeah, that one wasn't quite for me. In my desperation for Metroidvania games, I even purchased Soul of Darkness from Gameloft. I tell you those games were like crack to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't understand wanting a Metroidvania, but why would anyone think this would be a good game? It's like expecting Mirrors of Fate to be a good game. I really wanted to pull my hair out watching the gameplay footage. It was infuriating to watch how bland and boring it played out.
Why would anyone think this would be a good game, you ask? Did you know that the studio behind this title is composed of numerous ex-Retro guys who were all key members of the Metroid Prime development team? They are one of the few teams I would expect to be capable of creating a good Metroid style game.

I actually kind of like it thus far myself, but it's definitely not a classic. The fact is, applying the Arkham formula to a side scroller isn't a great idea as the mechanics are just kind of sluggish in comparison to a proper Metroid title.

As it stands, this year, Guacamelee filled the Metroidvania void for myself. THAT was an absolute blast of a game with its own unique twists.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why would anyone think this would be a good game, you ask? Did you know that the studio behind this title is composed of numerous ex-Retro guys who were all key members of the Metroid Prime development team? They are one of the few teams I would expect to be capable of creating a good Metroid style game.

I actually kind of like it thus far myself, but it's definitely not a classic. The fact is, applying the Arkham formula to a side scroller isn't a great idea as the mechanics are just kind of sluggish in comparison to a proper Metroid title.

Yea when I heard who was making it I thought it might be a good game, then I watched the early videos and I saw that... applying the Arkham formula to a side scroller was not a good idea. And it looked... kind of sluggish in comparison to a proper Metroid title.

Top Bottom