• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From the footage shown so far, I expect this to have a tremendous familiarity to Arkham City. At first and second glass, it looks pretty much exactly like Arkham City in play. Not that I mind, but it won't have the same refreshing feeling going from Asylum to City had, and may at times feel like a safe sequel.

Still very much looking forward to it. I'm torn between City and Asylum as to which I like more. Each does something better than the other. But flying around City remains one of my favourite open world experiences, so I'm hoping Origins captures a similar level of immersion. Looking forward to the boss fights. Hope they're, on average, a bit more inventive than City's.

Will play day one, unless I'm busy.

Sober

From the footage shown so far, I expect this to have a tremendous familiarity to Arkham City. At first and second glass, it looks pretty much exactly like Arkham City in play. Not that I mind, but it won't have the same refreshing feeling going from Asylum to City had, and may at times feel like a safe sequel.

Still very much looking forward to it. I'm torn between City and Asylum as to which I like more. Each does something better than the other. But flying around City remains one of my favourite open world experiences, so I'm hoping Origins captures a similar level of immersion. Looking forward to the boss fights. Hope they're, on average, a bit more inventive than City's.

We get more Gotham, I personally didn't really enjoy the filthy grittiness of Arkham Gotham anyway. But as long as as navigating the city as Batman is as good as or better than AC, then there isn't really much they can do wrong even if it's a bit of a copy/paste/paint-over. I just wish we got full Gotham, but I guess that might be a next-gen title.

Why are people so confident this game will be as good as the predecessors if it is a completely different dev team?

Blind faith or am I missing something?

All impressions have been positive so I can't imagine it'd be bad. Rocksteady already set the recipe up, now it's just a different chef adding their own spices.

The Last of Us was made by the Naughty Dog "B" team, and it's been their best work yet IMO.

Veelk

Banned
Why are people so confident this game will be as good as the predecessors if it is a completely different dev team?

Blind faith or am I missing something?

I personally don't have particularly high expectations. Which is not to say that I think the game is going to do bad, but Dini and the voice actors and by all indications the developers made the arkham series out a deep passion for the character.

Now, to be fair, I really liked prototype and always heard Hulk UD was great. So, I doubt that whatever quality it is, it's going to range anywhere near into disaster territory. And frankly, I like a lot of what I'm seeing. I like a Bane that isn't an idiot and a serious threat to Batman beyond dumb muscle. And I like that they're giving the second stringers a chance to shine. Copperhead in particular looks fantastic to fight for me. And all the boss fights are are like Freeze, according to them.

So my expectations of the game being good are reasonable, I think. But they are going to be compared against people who literally spent years with the character and were the ones who created the series they're trying to live up to in the first place. So it's gonna be an uphill battle.

We really just have to wait and see.

I have a feeling that Joker will be adored in this game. There are even rumor that he is the final boss. If that's true, I will be pissed. They can't just introduced a bunch of cool (and somewhat lesser known) villains and then give all the glory to the major one. He was already the main main villain in the last 2 games for fuck sake.

Ephemeris

Asylum has the better, more finely tuned "experience" overall.
City has the open world, cape gliding and better combat system making it the best Batman Sim ever.

City wins in my book, but I could understand why people love Asylum more (Scarecrow scenes are the best in the series). I'm dying to see if Origins manages to combine the strengths of both to sit at the undisputed #1.

Will buy only for SP next year @ 20-30 euros. I'm getting Blackgate Day 1 though, that looks interesting for a handheld experience.

Still salty about that stupid MP shit that will die off in 1-2 months. Why waste all your resources on that?

You can now actually "Prestige" in a Batman game. Oh Infinity Ward, what hast thou spout forth!

Will buy only for SP next year @ 20-30 euros. I'm getting Blackgate Day 1 though, that looks interesting for a handheld experience.

Still salty about that stupid MP shit that will die off in 1-2 months. Why waste all your resources on that?

You can now actually "Prestige" in a Batman game. Oh Infinity Ward, what hast thou spout forth!

MP was developed by a completely seperate studio(Splash Damage)so the SP was the focus of the WB Montreal developers. No resources were split as far as I'm aware.

MP was developed by a completely seperate studio(Splash Damage)so the SP was the focus of the WB Montreal developers. No resources were split as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for clarifying, but what I actually meant was: why spend money on a MP-mode AT ALL? That's the 'waste of resources' I was talking about. With games like these I feel it's never worth the trouble, manpower and costs.

Thanks for clarifying, but what I actually meant was: why spend money on a MP-mode AT ALL? That's the 'waste of resources' I was talking about. With games like these I feel it's never worth the trouble, manpower and costs.

I can understand that. I'm not big on a lot of MP games, but this takes a more unique approach which could be cool. It reminds me of when Assassins Creed mp was announced. My first thought was, "why?, It doesn't need it." Then I played it and it reminded me of playing Hide amd Go seek as a kid, it was a ton of fun and I played with a couple of guys at my unit a lot.

So I see potential, but from the limited videos I've seen from the beta, I don't know if it has legs.

Wait, when did Copperhead become a female? In the comics Copperhead is a dude, though I wouldn't mind if they changed the character to a female.

Wait, when did Copperhead become a female? In the comics Copperhead is a dude, though I wouldn't mind if they changed the character to a female.

They said that they couldn't imagine a dude in crazy latex doin all these crazy, bendy manuevers, they imagined a woman would/could do it better. Granted, that's not an exact quote, but that was the gist of it.

I never followed the character too closely in the comics, so it doesn't bother me as far as continuity of the franchise is concerned.

I appreciate the OT subtitle

don't appreciate the embargo ending on the 25th and preorder incentives end the day before, like the ten dollars back from Amazon.

I'm conflicted on this

Excited for what is my favorite design of Bats and the setting
Concerned when this comes next week yet no one is seemingly talking about it and as I said, that embargo, once again, is total bullshit.
Same goes for Blackgate.

Carm

I die a little every time I see a collector's edition with a small ass shitty art book and then have a massive completely unnecessary and usually ugly statue instead. I stopped buying CEs after Deus Ex: HR, well besides Blizzard ones since they have good artbooks in theirs.

I almost preordered Origins earlier in the week but it came down to having enough cash on hand for that for 37.50 or the XCOM expansion for 20 bucks at GMG. I could get Origins on Steam since i have enough in the wallet but screw paying full price.

Ephemeris

I die a little every time I see a collector's edition with a small ass shitty art book and then have a massive completely unnecessary and usually ugly statue instead. I stopped buying CEs after Deus Ex: HR, well besides Blizzard ones since they have good artbooks in theirs.

I almost preordered Origins earlier in the week but it came down to having enough cash on hand for that for 37.50 or the XCOM expansion for 20 bucks at GMG. I could get Origins on Steam since i have enough in the wallet but screw paying full price.

I only like the UK CE but I live in the US :(

I appreciate the OT subtitle

don't appreciate the embargo ending on the 25th and preorder incentives end the day before, like the ten dollars back from Amazon.

I'm conflicted on this

Excited for what is my favorite design of Bats and the setting
Concerned when this comes next week yet no one is seemingly talking about it and as I said, that embargo, once again, is total bullshit.
Same goes for Blackgate.

It's because aside from GT6, Batman and AC:BF the only major thing that's coming out are the new systems and those are exciting and more important to many.

This game is coming out at a perfect time for me. Gives me something to play untill the new system launches and I can get my PS4 ans then track down an Xbone.

madmackem

I had no idea it had mp, i guess thats what happens when you hear a new batman ac game is coming out and its a buy regardless. No need for mp in this at all, total waste of money.

Ephemeris

No need for mp in this at all, total waste of money.

I'm not gonna lie; I only dislike the fact that there's a bunch of achievements/trophies tied to MP. Hate those. Otherwise, it's whatever. I'm sure I'll even enjoy playing it.

That said, I'd love a well done co-op mode. Mixing the elements of predator and combat against the AI.

Top Bottom