• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Dave1988

Good notes.

I love how aggressive Bats is. He fights as if he is still trying to learn a bit of self control. It's brutal.

Where'd you see that? All his moves showcased so far have been ripped straight from AC. Which is a shame since I was hoping that his aggression would also be shown in his animations and not just cutscenes.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
still don't know if im getting this for the WiiU or PC. The latter will look better and become cheapeer in a coupla weeks, but playing it with the Gamepad..uhmm

Raxious

Does anyone know if city assets from AC are being re-used, or has the whole game world been modelled from scratch?

Hell, to my understanding the entire area of AC has been copy pasted into AO. You can even see some area's from AC in the gameplay trailers.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hell, to my understanding the entire area of AC has been copy pasted into AO. You can even see some area's from AC in the gameplay trailers.

Basically, yes. The entire city segment of Arkham City is in this game. But of course this game takes place before the events of Arkham City so it's before the wall was built and it flooded. The layout and assets might be largely the same, it should look pretty different compared to Arkham City.

I'm guessing Arkham City will have the same street layout (minus sunken bridges, etc) but different interiors. I doubt we'll be going through the Steel Mill and Museum again, y'know? I can't wait to see what they do with Crime Alley. And hopefully Wonder Tower won't be a separate 'level', so we'll actually be able to jump off it and fly over the whole city.

Has GMG said anything about when they'll be sending the Origins keys out? Hopefully we'll get a few days to preload.

Arkham City is there in addition to South Gotham, which is a totally new area. It sounds like it's the same size as Arkham, but with much taller buildings and a different theme (rich area instead of slums). Or maybe South Gotham is Arkham City and North Gotham is the new area? I can't remember, but WB Montreal has always said that Origins is twice the size of City.

cripterion

This will tide me over nicely till BF4 comes out :D

I have no idea how the multiplayer on this will work but to be honest, I rather they had concentrated all their ressources and kept this a single game.

Also, will we get playable sections with heroes other than Batman, like in Arkham City?

Is anyone else picking up the WiiU version?

I am because of the issues my PC has had with Asylum and City, and I don't trust Origins either. I have a really strong gaming PC that can run anything max at 1080p and 60fps, but the Arkham games stutter like a motherfucker and it pisses me off.

So I'm getting Wii U version. I don't give a shit about the awful looking multiplayer.

Wait, seriously? The Arkham City map is re-used in this? That just seems incredibly lazy.

Well I was under the impression is they made an entirely new map, the same size as the AC map. Then they have the entire AC map connected to the new one by bridge. So the game area is doubled, but half is from the last game. this is what I picked up from an interview ages ago, so I could be wrong. I believe they also said the ac portion would be different in certain ways via the fact its winter, the flooded area is no longer flooded and some parts are different due to being set in the past, to freshen things up a bit.

EDIT: Won't show the pic in case someone considers it a spoiler, but this is the game map:

Click

Ein Bear

Arkham City is there in addition to South Gotham, which is a totally new area. It sounds like it's the same size as Arkham, but with much taller buildings and a different theme (rich area instead of slums). Or maybe South Gotham is Arkham City and North Gotham is the new area? I can't remember, but WB Montreal has always said that Origins is twice the size of City.

Well I was under the impression is they made an entirely new map, the same size as the AC map. Then they have the entire AC map connected to the new one by bridge. So the game area is doubled, but half is from the last game. this is what I picked up from an interview ages ago, so I could be wrong. I believe they also said the ac portion would be different in certain ways via the fact its winter, the flooded area is no longer flooded and some parts are different due to being set in the past, to freshen things up a bit.

Ah that's no so bad then. I thought people meant the entire game world was just the Arkham City one, minus the flooding.

Ah that's no so bad then. I thought people meant the entire game world was just the Arkham City one, minus the flooding.

I went back and edited a link to the map there, so you can see for yourself :) new area looks the same size in area, but not as dense in terms of buildings.

Wait, seriously? The Arkham City map is re-used in this? That just seems incredibly lazy.

No, not really.

While the map is being reused, we'll have access to parts that were flooded in AC and it will probably look a little different too. Not only that, there's New Gotham (same sized area as that of Old Gotham where AC is set) this location is brand new and explorable. This part of the city is full of skyscrapers, etc.

Dr Dogg

Well I said to myself "Fuck it. You liked the first 2 and the B-Man was the only comic you cared about as a nipper. Why not?" and just as I was about to go a wandering for deals I thought "Hang on. What system do I get this on?".

They've got a list of pros and cons that's just bloody ridiculous:

360: Slightly better framerate with the last 2. More active friends list for online.
PS3: Exclusive DLC and would fit in nice with my collection on on the same system.
PC: Better performance and lots of Nvidia bells and whistles. Though a 2 week wait (possible proxy resolution).
WiiU: Ummm GamePad trickery? And a 2 week wait with no way around.

Too much choice IS a bad thing.

Hypron

Well I said to myself "Fuck it. You liked the first 2 and the B-Man was the only comic you cared about as a nipper. Why not?" and just as I was about to go a wandering for deals I thought "Hang on. What system do I get this on?".

They've got a list of pros and cons that's just bloody ridiculous:

360: Slightly better framerate with the last 2. More active friends list for online.
PS3: Exclusive DLC and would fit in nice with my collection on on the same system.
PC: Better performance and lots of Nvidia bells and whistles. Though a 2 week wait (possible proxy resolution).
WiiU: Ummm GamePad trickery? And a 2 week wait with no way around.

Too much choice IS a bad thing.

The 2 weeks wait is only there if you buy retail. IIRC the delay is just for the boxed PC version.
I have PC/360/WiiU and I'll get it on PC right away. The performance improvement will just make a massive difference (60 fps vs unstable 30 fps). I played the game on PS3 a couple of weeks back and there were frame drops all over the place + some loading times when you traveled across the map too quickly. The final version of the game might improve on those aspects but so far it's not looking so hot.

Dr Dogg

The 2 weeks wait is only there if you buy retail. IIRC the delay is just for the boxed PC version.
I have PC/360/WiiU and I'll get it on PC right away. The performance improvement will just make a massive difference (60 fps vs unstable 30 fps). I played the game on PS3 a couple of weeks back and there were frame drops all over the place + some loading times when you traveled across the map too quickly. The final version of the game might improve on those aspects but so far it's not looking so hot.

Ah cheers, I'll have a look in to that. Saying that I preordered Arkham City on Steam and only until the last second of the release timer did they yank it back 2 weeks. Still shouldn't be too much hassle as it's only a stupid regional restriction this time (and no GFWL ZDP check). Just hope the DX11 implementation out the gate is up to snuff this time around.

Luigi87

Can't wait!
Getting on PS3. I platinum'd both Asylum (my first ever) and City (would have been my second, but I didn't cheat the PS3 clock for Calendar man and somehow got a bunch in-between).

Hoping I can do the same for this game. I love Batman.

Does anybody know if all the easter eggs from Arkham City ever got found. I remember ages ago it being said that there were still some hidden ones.

I think it will be a game worth playing, but I can't see the game being anything special.

I don't need a good story or anything (neither Arkham games have been that great when it comes to that). I just want a more cohesive and fun world in Origins than it was in City. City's world was ungodly boring.

I doubt it will be better than City's world, but I'm hoping.

I know they'll get the combat right since that's a given. The graphics will be fine, and the missions will probably be fine too. I just want them to make the world not so goddamn boring.

Loakum

Banned
Here op, you should add this kickass pic to your Dark Knight photos:
aGC5t7L.jpg

Hindle

Banned
I don't need a good story or anything (neither Arkham games have been that great when it comes to that). I just want a more cohesive and fun world in Origins than it was in City. City's world was ungodly boring.

I know they'll get the combat right since that's a given. The graphics will be fine, and the missions will probably be fine too. I just want them to make the world not so goddamn boring.

They missed an opportunity to change the structure IMO. Asylum was influenced by Metroid, City was open world. I'd have liked them to look at maybe Zelda for an influence.

Instead we get Arkham City 1.5

Kabuto

Right on. I still am hoping that there maybe some coop challenge maps. Eric Holmes didn't really mention it on the recent reddit AMA, he pretty much said to ask Splash Damage cause he wasn't 100% sure about all the modes.

Such a missed opportunity. Maybe DLC...

Super excited for this game nonetheless. btw, http://youtu.be/ab4w9SHkm0s DAT PC VERSION! Can't wait.

Game looks and sounds soooo good! I was thinking of going with the PS3 version for all the pre order exclusives, but the PC version just looks too good for me to do it.

Derrick01

Banned
I knew using that subtitle was a good idea. People automatically assume because Rocksteady isn't doing this that it's going to suck.

On topic: Do we know if Nolan North is voicing the Penguin again?

See, I liked the world if only because I liked sailing into groups of bad guys and punching them. That's pretty much what the Batman games are for me: a punching dudes simulator. The predator sections are less engaging for me because I always end up using the same tactics. I suppose the same could be said for the combat, but I quite enjoyed trying to get that 13 variation and 5 gadget variation bonus in every fight.

Nothing could top the legendary Assassin's Creed OT.

And by Assassin's Creed you mean Dragon Age 2.

Xux

Does anybody know if all the easter eggs from Arkham City ever got found. I remember ages ago it being said that there were still some hidden ones.
I haven't heard of anything big since the Scarecrow cannisters in Riddler rooms and Hush's lair and the Scarecrow thugs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Scarecrow boat lair was an awesome easter egg.

Top Bottom