• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Karkador (2)
Sorian .1232 .1329
Camjo-Z .1259
TL21xx .1261

FluxWaveZ (2)
Fireblend .914
Xamtheking .1101
weemadarthur .1160 .1229
Trigger .1171 .1254

Sorian (2)
Karkador .1246
LaunchpadMcQ .1247

Mazre (2)
weemadarthur .1307
Trigger .1327

Ty4on (1)
Sorian .1329

Pop-O-Matic (1)
FluxWaveZ .917

Camjo-Z (0)
LaunchpadMcQ .909 .1247

Karu (0)
Sorian .1024 .1232

Coppanuva (0)
Sorian .907 .1024

No active vote for Day 2:
Coppanuva
El Topo
Karu
Mazre
Pop-O-Matic
Ty4on

Day 2 ends:
bla_1459544400.png

9 votes for majority

Ty4on

Ty4on [m]
Still not sure where this player is in this game. He SEEMS to be agreeing with me, but is also way on the sidelines, just watching things unfold. I respect him as a player, so I really really hope he's Town again. Other than that, I wonder what this post was about. 3/5 Town stars, I want this to be 5/5.
I explained it earlier:
Poking fun at the batcomputer and writing Camjo's name in italics because I thought he could be neutral.
I didn't like how the discussion was "he's town/scum" when neutral is looking more and more likely to me. Camjo is almost hinting at it in his last posts saying stuff like how he isn't a neutral "yet".

Ty4on

------- POST INTERRUPTION --------

I'm changing my vote within this very thread but still leaving the other vote up there to draw TL21's attention. I'd rather do this though

VOTE: Ty4on

My attempt above was to hit up all of the inactives (aside from Pop who is taking holiday from the game apparently) and I forgot you existed. I looked at your posts and everything today has had to do with Camjo. What are your other thoughts?

------- POST INTERRUPTION OVER -------

My initial thoughts on D2 is that I don't like Trigger's contribution. They seem a bit bandwagony and poorly reasoned.

I'm going back and forth on whether or not we should lynch one of the D1 targets to finish the deed. I'd want Flux' replacement to pop in before voting on them again. The voting patterns don't look too different from normal Gafia townies flip flopping on two townies while scum stays in the shadows. There's a lot of noise in yesterday's voting though.

Love Boat should have told me to not to look into scum's NK targets, but SkyOdin didn't seem to hint at any PRs like a couple of others and SkyOdin seems like a good target if you want to pressure Kark or use the Batcomputer to confuse/distract town.

Karu doesn't look super scummy to me so far, but I've only done a light read of him D2.

At what point does a wacky Kark gambit become something he can actually be held accountable for? So far his accomplishments have been wasting time fakeclaiming Batman and a batcomputer ability, attempting to tie the vote at deadline, and spending most of today trying to convince everybody that someone with the power to override a vote is actually mafia that chose to waste an amazingly good scum ability on a generic townie Day 1 to save a suicidal FluxWaveZ. If he's town, I'm genuinely curious as to how he thinks any of this will help out in the long run.

When he's come in here and explicitly said something about his role, no?

LaunchPadMcQ (formerly TheGoddam)[m]
Launch has stepped it up since taking over for TheGoddam. I'm not entirely sold on the Serial Killer idea, but it's possible that there's something odd and twisted going on with a neutral in this game - something that wouldn't really fit the mold of a typical SK. But anyhow, he's been seemingly on-and-off supportive of me, which is fine. I like rational Launch. However, this hint at me that he has something up his sleeve for the later part of this Day phase is a cause for concern. I don't want to prematurely support someone who might do something crazy. Then again, I'm Karkador. 3.5/5 Town stars.

I think I'm going to have to start revealing more about this soon. I am going to need more help than just yourself.

For right now, what you need to know is a gambit was set in motion before this day phase started. I will need some help making sure that it works, and that involves taking a very specific action. The outcome could be beneficial for town, or beneficial for scum; but it may take a bit to figure that out. I'm going to need at least 2 more players for this, but I think I'm going to have to choose them very carefully. The good thing is it'll work regardless of whether I'm dead, as long as you guys play at the high level you are playing at.

For anyone who is going to fish me for it, I am not confirming or denying this is a role ability. For right now, it's a gambit.

I think I'm going to have to start revealing more about this soon. I am going to need more help than just yourself.

For right now, what you need to know is a gambit was set in motion before this day phase started. I will need some help making sure that it works, and that involves taking a very specific action. The outcome could be beneficial for town, or beneficial for scum; but it may take a bit to figure that out. I'm going to need at least 2 more players for this, but I think I'm going to have to choose them very carefully. The good thing is it'll work regardless of whether I'm dead, as long as you guys play at the high level you are playing at.

For anyone who is going to fish me for it, I am not confirming or denying this is a role ability. For right now, it's a gambit.
Was this so-called gambit set in motion by your predecessor or yourself?

Sorian

Banned
My initial thoughts on D2 is that I don't like Trigger's contribution. They seem a bit bandwagony and poorly reasoned.

I'm going back and forth on whether or not we should lynch one of the D1 targets to finish the deed. I'd want Flux' replacement to pop in before voting on them again. The voting patterns don't look too different from normal Gafia townies flip flopping on two townies while scum stays in the shadows. There's a lot of noise in yesterday's voting though.

Love Boat should have told me to not to look into scum's NK targets, but SkyOdin didn't seem to hint at any PRs like a couple of others and SkyOdin seems like a good target if you want to pressure Kark or use the Batcomputer to confuse/distract town.

Karu doesn't look super scummy to me so far, but I've only done a light read of him D2.

Speaking of this, Roy, any word on that replacement showing up or are we not expecting them this day phase. I'm torn because I find it unfair that the vacant role is tied for first in votes.

? What? We can't think of Kark as scum until he's said something about his role? Am I reading this wrong because that is a narrow way to play?

I'm not trying to fish, honestly because I just woke up a half hour ago and I need to eat but you'll understand that it narrows the field down a lot when you say that you put something in motion yourself before this day phase started.

roytheone

Speaking of this, Roy, any word on that replacement showing up or are we not expecting them this day phase. I'm torn because I find it unfair that the vacant role is tied for first in votes.

I have contacted people through pm and asked in the main thread, but haven't found anyone yet :(

? What? We can't think of Kark as scum until he's said something about his role? Am I reading this wrong because that is a narrow way to play?

The context of that reply is that Camjo is insisting that Kark fake roleclaimed. I didn't see anything of the sort.

I'm not trying to fish, honestly because I just woke up a half hour ago and I need to eat but you'll understand that it narrows the field down a lot when you say that you put something in motion yourself before this day phase started.

Take it as you will.

The context of that reply is that Camjo is insisting that Kark fake roleclaimed. I didn't see anything of the sort.

Take it as you will.

Setting up a multiplayer gambit that may benefit scum sounds rather unappealing. The fact that the first person you approached was Karkador, who seems pretty scummy today, is not reassuring. Seriously this looks like scum team trying to communicate.

You're not very convincing.

Sorian

Banned

Except that's only 1/4 of what Camjo said. He did kind of lump the batcomputer stuff in with the claim so we can call it half if you'd like but he never claimed that the batcomputer was any type of power so that has nothing to do with a role. So that still leaves us with tying the vote in the last minutes of a day phase and sitting here trying to spin the overrider as scum (I don't think he was spinning it as neutral judging from his reads list portion about you from earlier). The explanation he gave for tying the vote is decent but when you really think about it for a minute, you realize it doesn't make a ton of sense because it assumes that everyone who had not voted on the big two was at the computer staring at the votes like a hawk at time and while I do that almost every time, not everyone has that luxury so it's a good excuse thinly veiling the fact that it was scummy behavior. The onyl saving grace on it is that I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. It would be presumably to save Topo or Flux but he shuffled the votes around so much that it does look more like he was just fine with whichever one dying.

Setting up a multiplayer gambit that may benefit scum sounds rather unappealing. The fact that the first person you approached was Karkador, who seems pretty scummy today, is not reassuring. Seriously this looks like scum team trying to communicate.

You're not very convincing.

He was the first person I approached because I was still thinking about how to approach this gambit, since it's out of my hands at this point. I can tell you that nothing destructive will happen and the only action I'll ask people to take will be fairly innocuous.

Except that's only 1/4 of what Camjo said. He did kind of lump the batcomputer stuff in with the claim so we can call it half if you'd like but he never claimed that the batcomputer was any type of power so that has nothing to do with a role. So that still leaves us with tying the vote in the last minutes of a day phase and sitting here trying to spin the overrider as scum (I don't think he was spinning it as neutral judging from his reads list portion about you from earlier). The explanation he gave for tying the vote is decent but when you really think about it for a minute, you realize it doesn't make a ton of sense because it assumes that everyone who had not voted on the big two was at the computer staring at the votes like a hawk at time and while I do that almost every time, not everyone has that luxury so it's a good excuse thinly veiling the fact that it was scummy behavior. The onyl saving grace on it is that I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. It would be presumably to save Topo or Flux but he shuffled the votes around so much that it does look more like he was just fine with whichever one dying.

ayayay, Sorian. What are we even arguing about here? I never said anything about the rest, nor did I ever pretend to lump that all together. Camjo asked when can we hold Karkador accountable for shenanigans like fakeclaiming, and I said when he actually does that. That's all.

Sorian

Banned
ayayay, Sorian. What are we even arguing about here? I never said anything about the rest, nor did I ever pretend to lump that all together. Camjo asked when can we hold Karkador accountable for shenanigans like fakeclaiming, and I said when he actually does that. That's all.

You've been covering for Kark a lot today and whether it's true or not we do have to pay attention to a scum team that may be out of communication. I am highlighting that you gave fragmented reasoning as a passing reason of why we can wait until some unknown time in the future to assume that Kark gambits are actually scummy.

But let's take your specific example, are you going to say that he has not soft claimed Batman this entire game? Because I have news for you. But sure, he hasn't actually come in and said "I am Bruce Wayne, aka Batman" so I guess we aren't counting it? Convenient because he has deniability if anyone ever counter claims (don't) or flips and reveals themselves as batman.

You've been covering for Kark a lot today and whether it's true or not we do have to pay attention to a scum team that may be out of communication. I am highlighting that you gave fragmented reasoning as a passing reason of why we can wait until some unknown time in the future to assume that Kark gambits are actually scummy.

But let's take your specific example, are you going to say that he has not soft claimed Batman this entire game? Because I have news for you. But sure, he hasn't actually come in and said "I am Bruce Wayne, aka Batman" so I guess we aren't counting it? Convenient because he has deniability if anyone ever counter claims (don't) or flips and reveals themselves as batman.

Kark and I have a bond. That may sound silly and may implicate us, but I give him the benefit of the doubt when I see him acting like a goofball.

I took a potshot at Camjo's post. I don't even remember reading the rest of it, to be honest, because I look past Karkador's silliness as the reaction-baiting that it is. If you want to talk about his voting shenanigans, by all means.

Camjo-Z

I have contacted people through pm and asked in the main thread, but haven't found anyone yet :(

#RekindletheFlame_AC

Ok, fine, yes it's a role. A fairly pointless one if people don't cooperate.

Is there a specific reason you don't want to say anything about it until later? Because it seems to me that the less time you give people to consider your plan, the more likely people are to make a snap judgement that isn't necessarily in their best interest.

Sorian

Banned
Is there a specific reason you don't want to say anything about it until later? Because it seems to me that the less time you give people to consider your plan, the more likely people are to make a snap judgement that isn't necessarily in their best interest.

I would rather he said nothing on it for now. Launch tends to sheep on players that are leading him astray fairly easily so while I think Kark is scummy, Launch is still mostly null for me but seems town enough. I don't know why he is trying to hype the power up ahead of time (though I guess Kark did push him on it again so maybe that's all it took).

Yes, there's a reason. I've played this role kind of poorly, in the sense that I probably shouldn't have outed myself and just seen where the pieces fell; but the pieces aren't falling where I need them to. Part of it is because I had to make a decision during the previous night phase for this one.

The other piece of this is that sharing too much will affect the outcome. I need people to blindly follow me on this, basically.

I would rather he said nothing on it for now. Launch tends to sheep on players that are leading him astray fairly easily so while I think Kark is scummy, Launch is still mostly null for me but seems town enough. I don't know why he is trying to hype the power up ahead of time (though I guess Kark did push him on it again so maybe that's all it took).

Yeah, you definitely don't have a good sense of what's going on, and that's a good thing for right now.

Two more details:

1. This will not result in the death of anyone except probably me, either from mafia attempting to block my action or by town confirming that my action worked. Since the action has already been set in motion, both of these are irrelevant to me.

Cooperate....what.....by voting?

2. Yeah, that's the eventual action I'll ask certain people to take.

Ok, sorry. I'm still contemplating what details to share. I think that's all I can at this point.

Like I said to Kark, it's going to be a leap of faith and require a bit of trust.

Sorian

Banned
Yes, but I'm asking them to do something fairly innocuous. I need 3 people to place their votes on a specific player while we lynch another player.

That's not innocuous. You're giving 4 people (I'm assuming you would be in this) a pass on having to deal with being on record with their votes today. One of scum's wet dreams.

Fireblend

Banned
Yes, but I'm asking them to do something fairly innocuous. I need 3 people to place their votes on a specific player while we lynch another player.

How is this something that was set into motion before you came into the game? Trust me I really want this to be a thing, it sounds fun, but I'm not sure Town giving up 3 of their very useful votes for some indeterminate reason is worth the risk. If scum is fractured I feel this would be too obvious a strategy to make town unable to vote as a unit.

Just got to work, gonna catch up with the rest of the thread.

Which will in no way result in the death of said second player.
Because you chose to commit to using your power last night, without knowing what the day would hold.
And when, imo, we don't have a clear consensus on who is scum, so the day end is likely to be made up of Shenanigans.

Is that right?

Camjo-Z

Ok, sorry. I'm still contemplating what details to share. I think that's all I can at this point.

Like I said to Kark, it's going to be a leap of faith and require a bit of trust.

I'm ready to move on from Camjo, however I don't believe El Topo to be a better use of our time. If I have to buy Camjo's claim, I have to buy El Topo's too. I don't see any reason to not believe him, other than he was on the chopping block and he had to claim his role.

If you believe El Topo's claim, then you believe that maf can't discuss this plan in scum chat today to figure out how to turn it around for their own nefarious purposes. Thus, you have no need to hide details. Now that you've admitted your plan involves voting, it'll require even more time to prepare if town deems it as legitimate and not some mafia play.

That's not innocuous. You're giving 4 people (I'm assuming you would be in this) a pass on having to deal with being on record with their votes today. One of scum's wet dreams.

I'm not included.

How is this something that was set into motion before you came into the game? Trust me I really want this to be a thing, it sounds fun, but I'm not sure Town giving up 3 of their very useful votes for some indeterminate reason is worth the risk. If scum is fractured I feel this would be too obvious a strategy to make town unable to vote as a unit.

Just got to work, gonna catch up with the rest of the thread.

This wasn't set in motion before I got to the game; I set it in motion during the night phase.

Which will in no way result in the death of said second player.
Because you chose to commit to using your power last night, without knowing what the day would hold.
And when, imo, we don't have a clear consensus on who is scum, so the day end is likely to be made up of Shenanigans.

Is that right?

It won't result in the death of anyone. I mean, we can lynch this certain player, but we don't have to. What matters are the votes. Also, this effect may not be realized in the next day phase or in the subsequent one. We won't know until it happens.

I chose to use the power because I didn't see that it was a one-shot (also my fault), but I thought I would be able to use this ability without bringing it to town's attention.

Basically, if you guys don't help me out, my ability is null and I'm just an ordinary. However, this ability could be extremely useful if it's used correctly.

If you believe El Topo's claim, then you believe that maf can't discuss this plan in scum chat today to figure out how to turn it around for their own nefarious purposes. Thus, you have no need to hide details. Now that you've admitted your plan involves voting, it'll require even more time to prepare if town deems it as legitimate and not some mafia play.

Even if scum doesn't have a chance to discuss it, they will be able to act against it.

Wait, did I misunderstand El Topo's roleclaim? Does his chat bomb last through the Day and Night phases?

Sorian

Banned
He's claiming just current day phase. So chat last night was normal and chat tonight would be normal if his claim is true. He wasn't able to bomb D1 or N1 due to role restriction and he thought he might be killed as an outed PR last night which is why he used it as his earliest opportunity. Those are the details we have.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not included.

It won't result in the death of anyone. I mean, we can lynch this certain player, but we don't have to. What matters are the votes. Also, this effect may not be realized in the next day phase or in the subsequent one. We won't know until it happens.

Even without you included, the point still stands for the other 3.

As for the second part, it's even more a leap of faith now because the results aren't even coming at a specific time, just a simple "you'll know it when you see it."

This is something that someone with a heavy town read would need to try and coordinate. I slightly town read you but that doesn't seem to be the majority case and I'm still extremely skeptical about removing 3 votes from the record for what could be a weird scum gambit.

--------

Since I voted/prodded for you two, I should probably go back and respond

It's a bit of both, but primarily pressure. His lack of discussion outside of that is giving me a scum vibe, so I do want to hear more from him.

Top town for me are Sorian, Fireblend, and El Topo. Sorian and Fireblend for their play, and Topo due to the Oracle claim.

Camjo is obviously either a neutral at some point or scum. Either way, I want to wait on him.

Top scum for me are Kark and Mazre. I also have soft scum reads from Launch and Xam. I'm on mobile right now, so I will try to get to a keyboard to elaborate on them, but in addition to Xam's silence and relatively low key read list, Launch's posts during Sorian and Kark's slap fight gave me an odd vibe. That could well be my general dislike of how much time was spent dissecting Camjo's claim, so I am not as confident on Launch's alignment.

I would still appreciate that elaboration you promise at the end here. Don't think to just disappear because Launch started up with whatever this is. Your line about Camjo is odd to me as well, my thoughts on him are out there so I'll leave the dead horse alone but if you think he might be scum, why do you want to wait on him?

I'm heavily convinced that SkyOdin was killed because of the batcomputer. I looked back on his posts and there is nothing at all to hint that he was a PR and while he was a good player, he didn't do anything to get on anyone's shit lists. His two biggest hooks were Kark voting for him and his name on the computer. I'm trying to guess at scum reasoning which can sometimes lead down a dark path but this is the only reason why I am unsure of Kark at this time, it smells like a frame job on him but he was already doing a fine enough job on his own.

It can be done with less votes, but 3 is ideal. If it's a concern, we can wait and see who will be lynched to decide who puts their votes on the specific player.

Camjo-Z

Even if scum doesn't have a chance to discuss it, they will be able to act against it.

If your power requires town to participate, may not take effect for any number of days, and can be instantly nullified by mafia if they merely know how it works, then you shouldn't have wasted our time on it in the first place because it relies entirely on luck and town blindly following you, especially ironic considering you've spent the better part of this day phase convincing everyone how I shouldn't be blindly trusted. Maybe if there was a cop to confirm you first it'd work out, but alas, you used the power as soon as possible without bothering to properly read the details in the role PM. So until I hear some actual details on this claim of yours, I'm switching my vote to you.

VOTE: LaunchpadMcQ

Also, because Launchpad's post made me think of it- I double checked and my PM about using the override power specifically states that it's a once-per-game thing, so now I'm really questioning El Topo's claim that he had no idea hacking would be a one-time ability. I feel like that's not the sort of detail that would have been left out of his but not mine.

I'm heavily convinced that SkyOdin was killed because of the batcomputer. I looked back on his posts and there is nothing at all to hint that he was a PR and while he was a good player, he didn't do anything to get on anyone's shit lists. His two biggest hooks were Kark voting for him and his name on the computer. I'm trying to guess at scum reasoning which can sometimes lead down a dark path but this is the only reason why I am unsure of Kark at this time, it smells like a frame job on him but he was already doing a fine enough job on his own.

Why be killed in some complex plan to throw shade on a gambit? I assumed it was because he was so thoroughly town read by most everyone.

If your power requires town to participate, may not take effect for any number of days, and can be instantly nullified by mafia if they merely know how it works, then you shouldn't have wasted our time on it in the first place because it relies entirely on luck and town blindly following you, especially ironic considering you've spent the better part of this day phase convincing everyone how I shouldn't be blindly trusted. Maybe if there was a cop to confirm you first it'd work out, but alas, you used the power as soon as possible without bothering to properly read the details in the role PM. So until I hear some actual details on this claim of yours, I'm switching my vote to you.

VOTE: LaunchpadMcQ

Also, because Launchpad's post made me think of it- I double checked and my PM about using the override power specifically states that it's a once-per-game thing, so now I'm really questioning El Topo's claim that he had no idea hacking would be a one-time ability. I feel like that's not the sort of detail that would have been left out of his but not mine.

Nope, I didn't say it would be nullified. I meant it would skew the outcome. It's also not luck. You'll be able to get information from the outcome of the action, regardless of how effective it was. However, there are some aspects which I think scum could take advantage of, but there's a likelihood that others are not as cynical as me. The players in this game are astute and I think that they'll be able to utilize the outcome effectively, regardless of how definitive the action turns out to be.

To the last comment, it wasn't left out from mine. It says it very clearly, though only written once. Because I found out about the role 3 hours before actions were due, I rushed to put it in and didn't read the PM as quickly as I should have. That said, I still think it was [partially accidentally] the best decision based on the information I had. It was a safe bet during that night phase; it was only when the day began that it turned out to not be. I don't regret using it. Frankly, this ability's inherent utility is too high, especially in the early phases, to leave it unused.

Sorian

Banned
It can be done with less votes, but 3 is ideal. If it's a concern, we can wait and see who will be lynched to decide who puts their votes on the specific player.

You're asking Gafia players to stay coordinated at day end. You're trying to herd cats, have you ever tried to herd cats before? I joke, but this isn't as cut and dry as you think it is, even if scum is nuttered a bit without their chat.

I keep meaning to hit on this but I forgot that he claimed that Roy didn't let him know about it being one-shot until after he used it. While it is a skeptical point, it is possible that there was some intervention from a different PR that hurt Oracle. Infinite chat bombs seems overpowered but El Topo did fully name claim. If we take all of this on the up and up, what if there was another action independent of Topo's that caused his to be shut down. I'm spitballing here. I honestly don't know whether I believe Topo or not and I'm back to just pretending he hasn't claimed and judging him on his actions because his power is 100% impossible to prove. But he still doesn't say much so reading him based on that is giving me a big fat null. At day end yesterday, I didn't think he was scum, that's why I was on Flux, that opinion hasn't changed a whole lot.

didn't read the PM as carefully as I should have.*

You're asking Gafia players to stay coordinated at day end. You're trying to herd cats, have you ever tried to herd cats before? I joke, but this isn't as cut and dry as you think it is, even if scum is nuttered a bit without their chat.

I'm just doing my best here.

Sorian

Banned
Why be killed in some complex plan to throw shade on a gambit? I assumed it was because he was so thoroughly town read by most everyone.

Well, if they were throwing shade on the gambit then the answer is obvious. Someone in the bolded list was scum.

If they wanted to kill someone who was town read by everyone then I feel like they would have hit Fire. Fire is the only person I can think of (and correct me if I am wrong) that had all town reads all the time. I had shade from the bat computer and later a bit by Kark. Sky was obviously going to start getting a right thrashing from Kark if the day phase had been longer and it's not much, but Xam has been scum reading you for quite awhile now.

I'm aware it could all be nothing and they just chose someone other than Fire because they were worried about doctors/watchers/whatever but with Topo name claiming and Camjo being an overrider then I think Fire might have been wide open. The kill is odd to me, I usually try to anticipate a list of who may die and Sky didn't come to mind.

Top Bottom