• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

Sorian

Banned
Dead leads, eh? The Batcomputer was silly, but it served a surprisingly useful diagnostic. My actual role helped me guess exactly what you did N2.

RNG was annoying with the batcomputer, an easily confused town would gladly lynch someone in the 4 to check it for any type of real information and we were 50% of that list by chance. Your actual role happened to help you guess what I did N2 but just like Ouro in the gafia game (my favorite example), the roleblocker did a thing and assumed that they just happened to randomly solve the scum riddle N1 with an awesome play, that's rarely ever the case so meh, still a bad play 99% of the time.

I'm going to apologize now though, I was foolishly hoping that you hadn't dropped out of the game due to being sore at your position but that wasn't the case and I'm still mad at that and I think it's coming through in my posts, so I'm sorry, I'll drop this, game is done and I'm sitting here acting like a fool like there is a point to arguing.

roytheone

So, what is the opinion on the game?

Was it balanced properly?
How was the fluff?
We had a lot of problems with drop-outs, how was this handled?

Any feedback is welcome!

I also cannot stress how ridiculous the whole "Read lists are super important" crap on D1 was, which subsequently everyone gave up on immediately. I was seriously considering not even revealing myself.

It doesn't matter who caused the tie. The point is that people let it happen and did nothing against it. It made no sense for town and it made no sense for mafia to not go for the throat, unless both suspects were scum.

TOWN COULD HAVE HAD A CHANCE EXCEPT FOR THAT TIE.....

Well, Topo.... I wasn't town.
Although I think your particular phrasing leaves you wide open to misunderstandings.
I had to discuss irrelevant things to distract myself from how scummy Karu was, as I didn't want to be right about the scum team and get night killed.

I was refreshing the page at day four end. My Cartman gif said Unvote under it. I was going to leave with both middle fingers raised....but Batman got there first.

Too many scum in this game, but since two of the players were Batman and Robin, I don't see how it could have been balanced better.

Sorian! I TOLD you you'd love the results if you hammered yourself before Trigger could even post! Why you don't believe meeeeee!

Karkador

Banned
I'm going to apologize now though, I was foolishly hoping that you hadn't dropped out of the game due to being sore at your position but that wasn't the case and I'm still mad at that and I think it's coming through in my posts, so I'm sorry, I'll drop this, game is done and I'm sitting here acting like a fool like there is a point to arguing.

I've explained why I dropped in the spec stuff already. FWIW, I think it's an in-game problem only.

Sorian

Banned

How was the fluff?

Any feedback is welcome!

I think balance overall was really good. It's hard to imagine how much the game would have been effected with Red Hood getting activated early and Hugo Strange also succeeding, game would have been A LOT shorter. Could we have redirected Red Hood kills by the way?

I liked the fluff a lot.

Drop outs were handled about as well as it could have been. I know other people have stances that bending over backwards for finding replacements is unhealthy for our meta but we also aren't a huge community and some people only get to play in a game every so often so it would be a short deal to lose a game because of heavy mod killing to prove a point on dropping out. Using myself as an example, I probably won't get to play a game again until 6.5 games which is probably a good 2-3 months from now.

roytheone

I think balance overall was really good. It's hard to imagine how much the game would have been effected with Red Hood getting activated early and Hugo Strange also succeeding, game would have been A LOT shorter. Could we have redirected Red Hood kills by the way?

I liked the fluff a lot.

Drop outs were handled about as well as it could have been. I know other people have stances that bending over backwards for finding replacements is unhealthy for our meta but we also aren't a huge community and some people only get to play in a game every so often so it would be a short deal to lose a game because of heavy mod killing to prove a point on dropping out. Using myself as an example, I probably won't get to play a game again until 6.5 games which is probably a good 2-3 months from now.

Nope, the red hood kill would have been immune to your redirect :)
Also, about the mod killing: I am going to be honest, it was kinda me not wanting to sacrifice my game. I can see the merit in modkilling people more to discourage dropping out a bit more. But I spend a lot of time designing this game, and it will probably be a long while before I will host another game. So maybe it was a bit selfish of me, but I really didn't want to sacrifice my game :)

I liked the result of not hammering better though :p

But the demoralization town would have gone through if they never even heard about Hugo Strange! That would have destroyed the pleasure of finding a scum player. If I had been sure of coppanuva I'd have hammered him, but I never took a read on him because he was rather scummy.

Coppanuva

How was the fluff?

Any feedback is welcome!

Overall it was enjoyable.

I think it was balanced pretty well. There were a few small things that changed the entire course of the game, but overall I think it was pretty well balanced. The biggest downside in it (if you can even call it that) was that scum powers were hard to actually see. Karu would've been cleared had he changed with me in the vote list, and nobody would have doubted that had launch flipped. My redirect was hard to ID mostly (unless we killed someone Xam had protected). Overall I think there were enough counters to it, but I feel like at the end of the game, nobody had any idea what our powers were aside from Sorian's vote steal.

Fluff was good. I like light-hearted fluff in Role PMs (though my command text was so much less entertaining than other roles :mad: ).

As for drop-outs, I think you handled it well. I think the 24 hour break for Gryvan was a good call, especially given the position he was in.

Sorian

Banned
Nope, the red hood kill would have been immune to your redirect :)
Also, about the mod killing: I am going to be honest, it was kinda me not wanting to sacrifice my game. I can see the merit in modkilling people more to discourage dropping out a bit more. But I spend a lot of time designing this game, and it will probably be a long while before I will host another game. So maybe it was a bit selfish of me, but I really didn't want to sacrifice my game :)

This too, we have a lot of people wanting to run game so it'll be rare to get to run more than one game in this community for awhile. I even made a selfish replacement call in Phoenix Wright just to give the game some more shelf life.

Edit: So Red Hood would have been town-aligned too? And just one shot?

But the demoralization town would have gone through if they never even heard about Hugo Strange! That would have destroyed the pleasure of finding a scum player. If I had been sure of coppanuva I'd have hammered him, but I never took a read on him because he was rather scummy.

Yeah, but we might have lost even with that demoralization! Would have been funny though.

Camjo-Z

How was the fluff?

Any feedback is welcome!

I think Red Hood stuff should have either been fully explained, or just not mentioned until it activated. As it was, it wasn't clear whether I should try to avoid getting killed or actively bait it. I ended up just assuming it would probably have a negative effect as balance since the override power already seemed pretty good, especially since he's an anti-hero and not an outright good guy.

Sorian

Banned
As for drop-outs, I think you handled it well. I think the 24 hour break for Gryvan was a good call, especially given the position he was in.

New post for this. This was actually weird and kind of pointed to Corn being scum. gryvan got 24 hours to catch up on the thread and then Corn was just thrown in with nothing but a push. I don't know if that was purposely but I think I would have questioned that choice if I was town.

Karkador

Banned
Camjo should have known 100% what his role was supposed to do. If he can't give us an answer about what happens, I can't trust him.

Sorian

Banned
Camjo should have known 100% what his role was supposed to do. If he can't give us an answer about what happens, I can't trust him.

Well to be fair, he didn't know what happened completely by mod design and the way I'm reading Roy's stuff it looks like he was still town even as Red Hood?

Edit: No, wait, he did become neutral, remembered that Roy posted the game document and I hadn't read it yet.

gryvan

Sorry I don't usually read spectator thread till the end cause I like to guess who is who till the end (that way I can get more practice on scum detecting)

roytheone

I debated this. The problem was that I wanted to give camjo a heads up that something would happen if he got targeted, but I also didn't want to straight up tell him the red hood role since I wanted to avoid him working towards his neutral win condition while still town.

Red hood had to outlive nightwing and the Joker Btw. He would lose if the game ended with either one alive (endgame killing didn't count)

roytheone

Is this spreadsheet a little old too? I was able to block the same person's vote multiple days in a row right?

Yeah, when I thought about it, that restriction didn't really had any purpose :) Kinda a leftover from when the Joker also had an insanity effect.

roytheone

So does Roy get to give Topo a town mvp award? I think he does :D

It would be either him or launch. Both of them played really well for town

For scum MVP it would be either you, mainly for how you coordinated the night actions, you almost always picked the ideal targets and your ability to predict the actions of town pr was incredibly spot on, without that I doubt scum would have won, or.... Well.... Trigger for fake clearing a killing scum as the tracker and managing to get a tie when Two scum where the only lynch candidates :) He joked that he was a better scum in this game then in princesses where he was actually scum :)

SkyOdin

I really should have commuted the first night. If I had, I could have denied scum a kill, and then helped lynch Sorian. :p

Oh well, that one day was fun. Sorry El Topo! My plan did was logical from my perspective though.

At least the good thing about being eliminated early was that I was able to join in and finish a different game in the meantime. That, and spend a lot of time talking to myself in the spec thread. Apparently I need to register on Discord if I want to talk to other people in a spec thread.

roytheone

I really should have commuted the first night. If I had, I could have denied scum a kill, and then helped lynch Sorian. :p

Oh well, that one day was fun. Sorry El Topo! My plan did was logical from my perspective though.

At least the good thing about being eliminated early was that I was able to join in and finish a different game in the meantime. That, and spend a lot of time talking to myself in the spec thread. Apparently I need to register on Discord if I want to talk to other people in a spec thread.

We talked about this, and having both a discord chat and an og thread didn't work that well. It splits the spectators to much.

Sorian

Banned

Register on discord anyway for general foolishness most of the time anyway :D Would have definitely been a different game, I don't think the extra help would have gotten me lynched day 2 though (I'm such a cocky shit >_>)

It would be either him or launch. Both of them played really well for town

For scum MVP it would be either you, mainly for how you coordinated the night actions, you almost always picked the ideal targets and your ability to predict the actions of town pr was incredibly spot on, without that I doubt scum would have won, or.... Well.... Trigger for fake clearing a killing scum as the tracker and managing to get a tie when Two scum where the only lynch candidates :) He joked that he was a better scum in this game then in princesses where he was actually scum :)

Yeah, Launch did a damn good job too, he played really honest thought which is obviously a great place to play from when you are town. I don't know about everyone else but Topo really screwed me up, I didn't imagine at all that he was lying and there was a second scum chat bomb coming, we had a plan lined up and Trigger threw it into chaos by claiming tracker at that day end and then we couldn't change the plan (that's why the Absolut kill was so weird, though playing up the WIFOM was fun).

As for Trigger, I was actually telling my fiancée about day 3 and all that happened with Trigger and her first reaction was "Are you sure they didn't make Batman a traitor of some sort to mess with expectations?" :V It was fun though and very confusing, scum chat went wild when the vote actually tied, I thought we were joking when we "predicted" that.

Also, I've been training since Cthulhu trying to guess what actions PRs would take in optimal settings, I was born for this! :p

Ty4on

Really tired so I can't go in depth.

How was the fluff?

Any feedback is welcome!
It went pretty well. Hard to make any educated guesses on balance, but it was a fun game despite being so one sided.
I still don't get how town didn't lynch Sorian. Most obvious scum ever.
I kick myself for not compromising, but I found a Coppa lynch much more useful because it would help confirm two townies.

Shame I didn't get to see more of Flame. Occasionally someone will just resonate townie to me and he did on page 2.
Never played with Xam before. I should have been more active in the first few days, but it was a lot of fun in the late game.
Sorry for also contributing to your first loss :/
I wish I knew why I always scum read you Fire. Thankfully I know to be careful of that :p

It went pretty well. Hard to make any educated guesses on balance, but it was a fun game despite being so one sided.

I kick myself for not compromising, but I found a Coppa lynch much more useful because it would help confirm two townies.

Shame I didn't get to see more of Flame. Occasionally someone will just resonate townie to me and he did on page 2.
Never played with Xam before. I should have been more active in the first few days, but it was a lot of fun in the late game.
I wish I knew why I always scum read you Fire. Thankfully I know to be careful of that :p
IT WAS ALL YOUR FAULT TY4ON
SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR DESCENDANTS
You cool

roytheone

I would actually say it wasn't that one sided. You had a lot of scum in your sights, and without Trigger his fuck up, you may even have won the game! It was a lot closer then the end result would make you think

Sorian

Banned
I would actually say it wasn't that one sided. You had a lot of scum in your sights, and without Trigger his fuck up, you may even have won the game! It was a lot closer then the end result would make you think

This. If you lynched me or Coppa that day, this game was probably going to day 7 easily if not longer.

I'm a big fan of using your role ASAP because you could die early.

If you can commute N1, do it.
If you have an override, take out a town PR.
If you're 1-shot day vig, shoot your jailer.

Ty4on

Maybe if town had gotten more unified. I was pretty sure of Kark, but did a really poor job of stopping that lynch and mainly focused on reading Sorian.
If you can commute N1, do it.
If you have an override, take out a town PR.
If you're 1-shot day vig, shoot your jailer.
Maybe SkyOdin's decision wasn't that bad in retrospect -_-

El Topo

Maybe if town had gotten more unified. I was pretty sure of Kark, but did a really poor job of stopping that lynch and mainly focused on reading Sorian.

I think many of us were too passive. One lesson I'll take from this game is that I have to do more than just give my opinion and vote.

Eh, it's okay. It's D1 and someone has to bite the dust. I was just sad that I had to give up on my planned unnecessary gambit.

Also, I've been training since Cthulhu trying to guess what actions PRs would take in optimal settings, I was born for this! :p

2UvAY1y.gif

Sorian

Banned
I'm reading and reacting to so many thing in this discord chat (thanks for archiving it Retro) and this really got me:

"I'm actually super amused that Sorian is being lynched. I don't think that's ever happened before."

>_> I'm going to be so fucked over one day.

RetroMG

I'm reading and reacting to so many thing in this discord chat (thanks for archiving it Retro) and this really got me:

"I'm actually super amused that Sorian is being lynched. I don't think that's ever happened before."

>_> I'm going to be so fucked over one day.

I was so disappointed when they didn't do it.

Top Bottom