• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

roytheone

Fair point, just curious on how that would play. Cause we might not have hit Camjo 2 nights in a row either. Also out of curiosity, was his transformation something a Strong Kill would have gone through and killed him in 1 night?

No, strongman kill wouldn't have prevented resurrection.

roytheone

Oh god we got so lucky on that. SO LUCKY.

You have no idea, these were the night 2 actions:

Karkador BLOCKED Karu
Xam PROTECTED Karkador
TL21xx INVESTIGATED Coppanuva
Trigger TRACKED Coppanuva

Coppanuva REDIRECTED Karkador to Xam
Sorian VOTE STEALED Sorian
Karu KILLS TL21xxx

So if you guys didn't do that redirect on kark, Karu kill would have been blocked, outing Karu as scum. TL21xx would not have died, outing Coppanuva as scum. You would probably have lost the game right there. THAT ONE REDIRECT COMMAND DECIDED THE GAME.

Coppanuva

You have no idea, these were the night 2 actions:

Karkador BLOCKED Karu
Xam PROTECTED Karkador
TL21xx INVESTIGATED Coppanuva
Trigger TRACKED Coppanuva

Coppanuva REDIRECTED Karkador to Xam
Sorian VOTE STEALED Sorian
Karu KILLS TL21xxx

So if you guys didn't do that redirect on kark, Karu kill would have been blocked, outing Karu as scum. TL21xx would not have died, outing Coppanuva as scum. You would probably have lost the game right there. THAT ONE REDIRECT COMMAND DECIDED THE GAME.

...Holy shit that's insane.

Sorian

Banned

I was roleblocked N1 and only two people were suspicious of me day 1. Wasn't too bad to guess at all :D

Sorry Kark, I was trying not to be disappointed at you but I still kind of am, of course I'm going to drown you out, the whole goal was to discredit you and make you seem like the bad guy.

Edit: The TL21xx kill on the other hand was 100% a fluke, holy shit >_>

El Topo

Like, there were two choices: Either he is the worst town player in the history of Gafia or scum. That is before the whole Coppa/Sorian tie, which outed both as mafia.

Karu

Good game to everyone and my teammates... =)

i guess since Spec was in that chat apparently, it's not something that remains? Bummer :(

Regardless... Discord...chat... is there a Mafia room or something? Are there any infos out there? :p
Quoting for new page. :p

Yeah, that seems like a rather close situation in hindsight haha.

Also: Felt kinda bad for Xam on the last few Days. :-( I bet he will never trust Sorian again. Until he and everybody else does anyway (to a degree, he survived against all odds at the end, I guess). :D

Fireblend

Banned
What made it obvious Sorian was scum? I had such a hard time seeing that :( maybe the fact that he was agreeing with me a lot should have tipped me off, and it's not like he was an absolute town read for me, but Coppa and even Karu were first on my list.

roytheone

"Fun fact :

The tracker failed to submit a command. So no tracking results for town! "

The night he "tracked" Corn >_>

Also, seriously, trigger, can you tell me why you did this? Corn actually did the kill that night, so you "cleared" a killing scum that day with this lie :)

Sorian

Banned
We thought Trigger was a hidden partner >_> He "cleared" Corn on the night he actually killed and then we joked that he would tie that vote at the last second, which he did.

El Topo

What made it obvious Sorian was scum?

An enormous amount of utterly useless posts, taking virtually every stance imaginable, a shitty role-claim, implausible stories, ludicrous interpretation of his own play.

How did the tie out us as mafia?

The absolute only way mafia would not have lynched either player at that moment is in case both were mafia. Not sure right now, but depending on the numbers they could have sealed the win there.

Sorian

Banned
An enormous amount of utterly useless posts, taking virtually every stance imaginable, a shitty role-claim, implausible stories, ludicrous interpretation of his own play.

You've never played with me before >_>

:(

One of my posts from the scum chat so that my Joker breakdown post on the last page makes sense and why I yelled at Coppa for the Hush hinting :p

"Ok, I thought of a batshit insane role claim while I was in the shower. This is definitely a "break glass in case of extreme emergency" type claim, only really good if one of us other than Karu gets investigated tonight and is found to be "not town" (if their is an alignment investigator and they get actual scum result then this role claim would be fucked).

This one definitely goes off the beaten path of the safe claims Roy gave us but I'm willing to bet anything that there is no town member in that game with this role. "Thomas Elliot, aka Hush" Now yes, I know, villain. BUT, it would make sense for a mafia game if we wiggle this right. A neutral doppelganger back-up. Before the end of night 2 (this is a smaller game so night 3 wouldn't make sense), you must select a player to copy. You are then told their alignment but not their role. If they should die, you take on their exact role going forward from their death, if they were ordinary then you are just ordinary, if they were a doctor, then cool town has a second doctor. If you happen to choose scum, you join the scum team but are not told who your teammates are and do not have access to the scum chat until the person you mimicked dies. The role PM doesn't say anything special about copying a neutral so you are unsure if there are any other neutrals in the game other than yourself. Once you copy someone, your win condition changes to whatever their's was. If you die before you get to copy someone then you are SOL and lose.

It's crazy but we have precedence from woof 2 and Flux had the buffed version of this role then so he would vouch for it. (The part about not knowing the other scum and not joining their chat right away is a nice meta touch since the complaint about the doppel in woof 2 was that it was too swingy in scum's favor if the role picked scum).

So yes, crazy role claim, definitely last ditch only to be used in the case of mass fire, ie getting alignment checked night 1 or night 2 but it is just crazy enough to delay the inevitable which is the best you can hope for when you get red checked."

Fireblend

Banned

Guess I've got tons to learn, really couldn't see that =/ specially not in the definitive way you did. Good job spotting all that!

El Topo

You've never played with me before >_>

I know you post a lot. To quote you from Outer Gafia:"I didn't choose the talky talk life, the talky talk life chose me".
There's posting a lot and then there's posting a lot without contributing a single thing, not to mention starting pointless arguments. It was only D3 that I was baffled people were still eating it up.

Sorian

Banned
The absolute only way mafia would not have lynched either player at that moment is in case both were mafia. Not sure right now, but depending on the numbers they could have sealed the win there.

The confirmed Batman tied the vote though? That had nothing to do with us. We were trying really hard to bus me but town wanted Coppa more.

roytheone

These were the fake names given to scum BTW:

Alfred pennyworth
Lucious fox
Tim drake, aka red robin
damien wayne, aka robin IV
Kate kane, aka batwoman
Michael lane, aka azrael
vicky vale
Terry McGinnes, aka Batman beyond

And these two were given to Weemad:

Cassandra Cain, AKA Batgirl
Aaron Cash

El Topo

The confirmed Batman tied the vote though? That had nothing to do with us. We were trying really hard to bus me but town wanted Coppa more.

It doesn't matter who caused the tie, the point is that it was nonsensical for town at that point, a desperate and hopeless attempt for another day instead of lynching either player.

Sorian

Banned
I know you post a lot. To quote you from Outer Gafia:"I didn't choose the talky talk life, the talky talk life chose me".
There's posting a lot and then there's posting a lot without contributing a single thing, not to mention starting pointless arguments. It was only D3 that I was baffled people were still eating it up.

I'll be 100% clear about one thing though, if I was town I would have still had that override argument, I also still would have went all in on Kark, maybe to a lesser extent but his insistence that there was an issue with the override would have set off flags.

Sorian

Banned
It doesn't matter who caused the tie, the point is that it was nonsensical for town at that point, a desperate and hopeless attempt for another day instead of lynching either player.

I guess I'm just confused, who was desperately attempting for another day? Because it wasn't us, we were resigned to a scum lynch that day. Town Trigger caused it and it was confirmed IMMEDIATELY that he was town. Yeah, I would have went in hard on all 3 of us (Coppa, me, Trigger) if he hadn't flipped right then but he did and everyone knew that it was an honest mistake. I don't think you can honestly say "I knew from that tie that both were scum" because none of the scum did anything for that tie.

El Topo

I also cannot stress how ridiculous the whole "Read lists are super important" crap on D1 was, which subsequently everyone gave up on immediately. I was seriously considering not even revealing myself.

I guess I'm just confused, who was desperately attempting for another day? Because it wasn't us, we were resigned to a scum lynch that day. Town Trigger caused it and it was confirmed IMMEDIATELY that he was town. Yeah, I would have went in hard on all 3 of us (Coppa, me, Trigger) if he hadn't flipped right then but he did and everyone knew that it was an honest mistake. I don't think you can honestly say "I knew from that tie that both were scum" because none of the scum did anything for that tie.

It doesn't matter who caused the tie. The point is that people let it happen and did nothing against it. It made no sense for town and it made no sense for mafia to not go for the throat, unless both suspects were scum.

Karkador

Banned
I'll be 100% clear about one thing though, if I was town I would have still had that override argument, I also still would have went all in on Kark, maybe to a lesser extent but his insistence that there was an issue with the override would have set off flags.

So you sticking to that argument wasn't just a scum play?

Sorian

Banned
I also cannot stress how ridiculous the whole "Read lists are super important" crap on D1 was, which subsequently everyone gave up on immediately.

Oh yeah, no, reads list are important. That's how cops hide results, you are also still arguing that you don't like useless reads. Kind of like the thing that Xam posted day 1 mockingly. Reads are 100% the backbone of the game and people who aren't giving consistent reads each day are probably scum. The argument felt weird though, it sounded like you just didn't like them when they are in the form of a list? I was actually really confused on it.

Sorian

Banned
It doesn't matter who caused the tie. The point is that people let it happen and did nothing against it. It made no sense for town and it made no sense for mafia to not go for the throat, unless both suspects were scum.

Trigger did it with a minute and a half left and two people were under the GAF 60 second post penalty. You didn't go for the throat either one way or the other, probably because you weren't here. A lot of people just did not have the capability to do anything with it, I think Karu and Corn weren't around either scum-wise.

So you sticking to that argument wasn't just a scum play?

100%, that argument was dumb and I don't know why I had to have it. I'll gladly blindly follow the overrider, Launch said the only thing that made even a little sense with the Red Hood/SK scenario and that ended up being true but of course he was town before then.

Coppanuva

Trigger did it with a minute and a half left and two people were under the GAF 60 second post penalty. You didn't go for the throat either one way or the other, probably because you weren't here. A lot of people just did not have the capability to do anything with it, I think Karu and Corn weren't around either scum-wise.

100%, that argument was dumb and I don't know why I had to have it. I'll gladly blindly follow the overrider, Launch said the only thing that made even a little sense with the Red Hood/SK scenario and that ended up being true but of course he was town before then.

I actually wasn't around then, but I mean... it's not like I would've done anything then either. Hammer myself? I already did that once, it would have served no point here :p

El Topo

Oh yeah, no, reads list are important. That's how cops hide results, you are also still arguing that you don't like useless reads. Kind of like the thing that Xam posted day 1 mockingly. Reads are 100% the backbone of the game and people who aren't giving consistent reads each day are probably scum. The argument felt weird though, it sounded like you just didn't like them when they are in the form of a list? I was actually really confused on it.

No offense, but I have yet to see a good argument for read lists. It is one thing to give thoughts, to express opinions, to give reads; it is a whole different thing to compose a list of supposed reads.
The idea that read lists are vital is not supported by the games. Reads are important, activity is important, interaction is important. Read lists are padding. I'm not even sure if there has been a single case of scum getting lynched due to their read list (as the sole/main argument). I've had the opposite happen to me though (in a way).

That is without pointing out that reads on D1, read lists even moreso, are incredibly unreliable.

Coppanuva

No offense, but I have yet to see a good argument for read lists. It is one thing to give thoughts, to express opinions, to give reads; it is a whole different thing to compose a list of supposed reads.
The idea that read lists are vital is not supported by the games. Reads are important, activity is important, interaction is important. Read lists are padding.

That is without pointing out that reads on D1, read lists even moreso, are incredibly unreliable.

True. Reads lists can be a huge pain in the ass to put out. Even when I'm town, I spend literally an hour writing up a solid reads list in a game. Giving reads and saying your top scum is good. But making a list of every player is exhausting.

Karkador

Banned
Alfred, do we have time for one more go at this?

That isn't a rebuttal to the point.

We've had mafia-aligned overriders before. Whether it was broken then or not is not really much of a consideration to make in this game, because it's Roy's game and he may or may not have decided to do it. You're making this argument as if there are strict rules on what gamerunners do with their games (there aren't).

Sorian

Banned
I actually wasn't around then, but I mean... it's not like I would've done anything then either. Hammer myself? I already did that once, it would have served no point here :p

What is the moral of the story? Never hammer yourself, wait long enough instead and town will save you :p

The idea that read lists are vital is not supported by the games. Reads are important, activity is important, interaction is important. Read lists are padding.

I say this as nicely as possible but I think you are still salty that a scum reads list killed you in Election >_> Personally, I need to order my thoughts in a full list. Sometimes I do it in thread and sometimes I do it in a personal word document and cut and paste out entries that are important. I don't know what to tell you otherwise, they really aren't padding when I do them, it's a tactic that forces me to be slow and methodical which I need sometimes as you can tell from how I post.

If we hadn't already decided to kill you N4 and if the Hugo Strange thing wasn't automatically resolving that day, I was going to make up a post to deploy right before I got lynched saying that we were leaving you alive because we knew you were the neutral because our chats hadn't been blocked at all the whole game. I was secretly hoping that town would lynch you again over the word of a scum :p

Sorian

Banned
True. Reads lists can be a huge pain in the ass to put out. Even when I'm town, I spend literally an hour writing up a solid reads list in a game. Giving reads and saying your top scum is good. But making a list of every player is exhausting.

Oh, I guess maybe that's where it's not clear? I don't condone REQUIRING people to put out a full list. I just take offense when someone else says I am padding because I took the time to do one.

That isn't a rebuttal to the point.

We've had mafia-aligned overriders before. Whether it was broken then or not is not really much of a consideration to make in this game, because it's Roy's game and he may or may not have decided to do it. You're making this argument as if there are strict rules on what gamerunners do with their games (there aren't).

Uh, yeah, there is one fairly strict rule that the community should be assuming even if it hasn't always been the case. The fact that the game is actually balanced in any way. A free scum mislynch isn't balanced. I still think it was broken when Launch did it but at least the attempt at balance was there. What you were suggesting with Camjo was that Roy just straight up put in something so obviously broken and said fuck it when it came to balancing it.

Why would I not trust Sorian
He's always been a pathological liar
:3
The redirect fucked us so hard

You're my MVP <3 If Coppa had died by lynch for whatever reason, I was going to suggest killing Topo anyway because I had faith in you protecting me instead of him >_> :D

Karkador

Banned
Oh, I guess maybe that's where it's not clear? I don't condone REQUIRING people to put out a full list. I just take offense when someone else says I am padding because I took the time to do one.

That's not why you're accused of padding.

Uh, yeah, there is one fairly strict rule that the community should be assuming even if it hasn't always been the case. The fact that the game is actually balanced in any way. A free scum mislynch isn't balanced. I still think it was broken when Launch did it but at least the attempt at balance was there. What you were suggesting with Camjo was that Roy just straight up put in something so obviously broken and said fuck it when it came to balancing it.

The assumption was more so that he was neutral.

But we weren't arguing about his alignment, more so your defense of him no matter what, which was absurd. The override was a bad move for Town, and you clung to defending it. It really should have been my first clue that you were scum, because Town would have backed off such a foolish stanning of an unknown - except you made the argument about the meta and game design rather than what was in front of us.

Sorian

Banned
That's not why you're accused of padding.

The assumption was more so that he was neutral.

But we weren't arguing about his alignment, more so your defense of him no matter what, which was absurd. The override was a bad move for Town, and you clung to defending it. It really should have been my first clue that you were scum, because Town would have backed off such a foolish stanning of an unknown - except you made the argument about the meta and game design rather than what was in front of us.

We're talking about reads lists, I'm aware I padded elsewhere (which I tend to do a lot anyway)

I was arguing about his alignment though >_> He wasn't neutral either and that would have been even dumber. Without Launch's explanation for how a neutral overrider would make sense, I wouldn't even have considered that and even with the true explanation, he was, of course, still town at the time. It was a distracting and moot point and if anything, maybe if I was town, I would have backed off so you would have chased some other dead lead.

Karkador

Banned
Dead leads, eh? The Batcomputer was silly, but it served a surprisingly useful diagnostic. My actual role helped me guess exactly what you did N2.

Top Bottom