• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

Sorian

Banned
And by the way, if mafia can take "plan their actions around your ability" or whatever by simply knowing the details, what's stopping them from just killing you tonight to get a peek at your role PM?

Presumably, it would be in motion already. He said he could tell us whatever he wants after this day phase ends and his death doesn't stop anything. Conveniently, that would also be when scum is back in contact under Topo's story.

Karkador

Banned
I'll do it in two bite sized points then.

1) He told us a lot more than he needed to about his role, if he was worried about being a betrayer or whatever why even mention it at all, he could have just claimed his name and said all he has is an override.
2) With the extra information given, he is no longer an easy night kill target. Scum has to worry about their kill missing or something else happening.

1) Has he really? He used an ability, and has been vague about the rest. If he only claimed he had only one override and nothing else, he might have thought he'd face a lot more scrutiny. He had the night phase to figure out an expanded claim.
The post where he does the override sounds like he's certain of what his role will do. Now, he's backpedaled into a more "I'm not sure what my role does!" position. It reeks both ways.

2) By this, do you mean his 'warning' that players shouldn't target him at night? It sounds like a bluff.

This is what I've been saying for awhile now (without the Monty Hall problem mixed in but you're right that it's a good way to explain it). I'm also well aware that I am one of the bolded names.

Wowww, even Sorian has come around to the Batcomputer.

Sorian

Banned
1) Has he really? He used an ability, and has been vague about the rest. If he only claimed he had only one override and nothing else, he might have thought he'd face a lot more scrutiny. He had the night phase to figure out an expanded claim.
The post where he does the override sounds like he's certain of what his role will do. Now, he's backpedaled into a more "I'm not sure what my role does!" position. It reeks both ways.

2) By this, do you mean his 'warning' that players shouldn't target him at night? It sounds like a bluff.

Wowww, even Sorian has come around to the Batcomputer.

To point 2, no more about how he claimed all the flavor around his role and then ended it with "maybe, I'm bulletproof" Missing a kill as scum can make or break or a game, that shred of doubt can fuck with them quite a bit.

I haven't come around on the bat computer, it was as much bullshit now as it was before but I have to take into account that other people might actually believe it and Sky being the SK presents a dilemma that involves the stupid thing.

Camjo-Z

>backpedaled
>already said i don't know what the role does in my first post today
>already said i was baiting maf because i got something out of it regardless of whether they targeted me or not

If you want to make a point against me, at least stop trotting out stuff that I've addressed.

I like how you provide the shadiest plot ever, and yet when pressed for details it's apparently scum trying to gauge the threat rather then rational people sniffing BS. It makes no sense for town to be taking a blind leap of faith, but I knew you'd come back at the end of the day and try to peddle this trash further anyway because clearly you specifically have something to gain from it. Otherwise, why not just accept that you totally screwed up the ability's usefulness by not reading the fine print and just claim ordinary if anybody asks your role later?

And by the way, if mafia can take "plan their actions around your ability" or whatever by simply knowing the details, what's stopping them from just killing you tonight to get a peek at your role PM?

Camjo. I don't think you're living in this reality. Really.

In regards to "rational people sniffing BS", ok. I think it's more of Xam's tone compared to everyone else's (except yours) that gives me a suspicious feeling about how he approached this. I wrote this down way before I had brought it up this morning.

In regards to "you'd come back at the end of the day and try to peddle this trash further". TravoltaConfused.gif. Where the fuck have I done that?

In regards to "why not just accept yada yada", how the fuck would you know if I've screwed anything up? I haven't.

Frankly Camjo, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not surprised you blew your ability like you did.

Yes, trigger can understand clue 2, but he can't understand how it connects back to the first clue in the way that you can

What was clue 1?

Karkador

Banned
To point 2, no more about how he claimed all the flavor around his role and then ended it with "maybe, I'm bulletproof" Missing a kill as scum can make or break or a game, that shred of doubt can fuck with them quite a bit.

It applies to scum or Town, as no Town PR would want to touch that, either. It's a wall to hide behind, and I'm not sure if deflecting scum's attention to other players is a particularly smart thing for a Town player to do - especially if you burned your 1 shot already.

I haven't come around on the bat computer, it was as much bullshit now as it was before but I have to take into account that other people might actually believe it and Sky being the SK presents a dilemma that involves the stupid thing.

In other words, I presented a strong case for why there could be some validity to the Batcomputer, and now you're cautiously acknowledging it for damage control purposes.

>backpedaled
>already said i don't know what the role does in my first post today
>already said i was baiting maf because i got something out of it regardless of whether they targeted me or not

If you want to make a point against me, at least stop trotting out stuff that I've addressed.

and that's a lie

Mazre

On phone at work, is there a mod around?

#notamod

Calling BS on Xams play. You're effectively sending encoded information to a subset of players to avoid making a proper claim. Breadcrumbs within the confines of a single game are one thing. Using specific info from previous games to convey a particular meaning to certain players while leaving others in the dark should not be allowed.

#notamod

Sorian

Banned
Hey folks. Trying to get caught up, but this thread is closing in on 2000 posts. Doubt I'll be caught up by game day's end.

You stepped into some very dirty shoes, just fyi

It applies to scum or Town, as no Town PR would want to touch that, either. It's a wall to hide behind, and I'm not sure if deflecting scum's attention to other players is a particularly smart thing for a Town player to do - especially if you burned your 1 shot already.

In other words, I presented a strong case for why there could be some validity to the Batcomputer, and now you're cautiously acknowledging it for damage control purposes.

Why would no town PR want to touch that? He is claiming bulletproof or something bad happening if he is killed. How does that scare away normal PRs like roleblocks or investigations?

And no. Your "strong case" came way after I had already been asking questions about the choice of Sky as the NK and linking it back to his status as bolded on the bat computer. You can pretend that I'm cautiously acknowledging it for damage control but the truth of the matter is that I brought that up well before you started making cases around the computer today.

Karu

#notamod

Calling BS on Xams play. You're effectively sending encoded information to a subset of players to avoid making a proper claim. Breadcrumbs within the confines of a single game are one thing. Using specific info from previous games to convey a particular meaning to certain players while leaving others in the dark should not be allowed.

#notamod
I thought the same. meta claiming or whatever is at the very least super weird. Maybe something for after the game, though...

#notamod

#notamod

I thought the same. meta claiming or whatever is at the very least super weird. Maybe something for after the game, though...
All of the information needed is public and easily accessible
It's just that certain players have an easier time making the connections needed

Sorian

Banned

#notamod

#notamod

Hmm

*steps out of game mode for a moment*

All of the information presented here is readily available to everyone within the community, compare to the encoded message of harry potter fame where the encoded message was blocked behind a specific phrase within a role PM that not all players have seen. This is akin to a Blarg puzzle but with a lower difficulty level, the hints and clues spelled out where you would need to look though I will admit that those places are not all within this thread. I.....can't say that I'd find this to be against the rules if it were to happen in my own game.

*steps back into the game*

Roy is the mod, I'm just a useless player.

Camjo-Z

Camjo. I don't think you're living in this reality. Really.

In regards to "rational people sniffing BS", ok. I think it's more of Xam's tone compared to everyone else's (except yours) that gives me a suspicious feeling about how he approached this. I wrote this down way before I had brought it up this morning.

In regards to "you'd come back at the end of the day and try to peddle this trash further". TravoltaConfused.gif. Where the fuck have I done that?

In regards to "why not just accept yada yada", how the fuck would you know if I've screwed anything up? I haven't.

I'm not going to defend Xam, I'm just defending going against your plan in general. The fact that he was against your role earlier but has suddenly come around to it with hardly any convincing is more than a little slimy.

Peddling this further? You're doing it right now. You came back to continue this nonsensical conversation about your ability. If you weren't going to attempt to set it into motion, you wouldn't be talking about it.

You said the ability was one-shot but that you rushed to use it with only three hours left and didn't read that part beforehand. You used it haphazardly thinking you had more than one shot to use it, and now you're stuck relying on blind faith to get it done (if you're not just straight up lying about the whole thing). That sounds like screwing it up to me.

I'm not going to defend Xam, I'm just defending going against your plan in general. The fact that he was against your role earlier but has suddenly come around to it with hardly any convincing is more than a little slimy.

Peddling this further? You're doing it right now. You came back to continue this nonsensical conversation about your ability. If you weren't going to attempt to set it into motion, you wouldn't be talking about it.

You said the ability was one-shot but that you rushed to use it with only three hours left and didn't read that part beforehand. You used it haphazardly thinking you had more than one shot to use it, and now you're stuck relying on blind faith to get it done (if you're not just straight up lying about the whole thing). That sounds like screwing it up to me.

We agree on something.

I've not peddled it further. The plan is set. It's going to work as it stands right now. I brought it up because of Xam's reactions to my reveal. What are you on about.

That first part is true. I used it before I realized it was one-shot, but after I used I was like "that was probably the best way to use it anyway". So, yeah, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, but I offered it up anyway for the sake of transparency.

Actually, I would like to point out that I can't find a link to the final fantasy game. The mafia chat and spec threads are easy enough, so I see xam's role there was strong night killer, x shot.

The dragon in night vale had a rest day after two night kills.

How these blend together I dunno.

Trigger

Xam, why are you bringing this up now?

Meh, it might not be in all honesty but I'm willing to follow along. If he ends up having to defend himself from an imminent lynch then so be it but I'm not helping push that imminent lynch along.

This feels shady.

Sorian

Banned
This feels shady.

That's fine, what he is claiming is really obvious once you figure it out though judging from the people completely off track above, it is actually harder than I'm giving it credit for. Is he telling the truth? I have no idea but I can at least verify his puzzle if it comes to it.

That's fine, what he is claiming is really obvious once you figure it out though judging from the people completely off track above, it is actually harder than I'm giving it credit for. Is he telling the truth? I have no idea but I can at least verify his puzzle if it comes to it.

Ok. Am I completely reading into this too much or is the clue grounded in information from where Asami hails? :|

Top Bottom