• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DavidDayton said:
stupid DC writers wrecking more characters yet again...

Uh, except you have NO idea what's going to happen, so you absolutely can't say that.

And Morrison is a very good writer (though yeah, not the God some people exaggerate him to be).

But I am iffy on this. I feel like it may be very gimmicky with the whole "R.I.P." thing.

Here's the checklist, by the way:

Batman #676-681
Detective Comics #846-850
Nightwing #147-150
Robin #175-176
Batman and the Outsiders #11-13

omg rite said:
Here's the checklist, by the way:

Batman #676-681
Detective Comics #846-850
Nightwing #147-150
Robin #175-176
Batman and the Outsiders #11-13
Thanks for that, I guess this information was released today somewhere?

MisterHero

HamPster PamPster said:
I Ctrl+F'd "Terry" just to make sure someone on gaf was smart enough to post this

Terry is the only option
So the only person who can replace Bruce Wayne is
a clone of Bruce Wayne
:D

Don't hurt me! I really like Terry. =)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
AniHawk said:
IF you're looking to collect all of the actual single issues as trades, I think the arcs went:

Knightfall -> No Man's Land -> Bruce Wayne: Fugitive -> Hush -> War Games -> Under the Hood -> Hush Returns -> Batman: R.I.P. -> Hush Forever -> Hush & Robin

For accuracy's sake:

Knightfall 1&2 -> KnightsEnd -> Prodigal -> Legacy -> Contagion -> Cataclysm -> No Man's Land

Some of those are rather difficult to find, but they do all line up to create the situation that produces No Man's Land. While NML was a decent premise, it made no sense in the context of the DC universe. It even half-heartedly tries to address the fact that Superman could solve the whole problem inside of five minutes by having Batman warn him off with a vague "I will handle this" speech. Really dumb.

AniHawk

MattKeil said:
For accuracy's sake:

Knightfall 1&2 -> KnightsEnd -> Prodigal -> Legacy -> Contagion -> Cataclysm -> No Man's Land

Some of those are rather difficult to find, but they do all line up to create the situation that produces No Man's Land. While NML was a decent premise, it made no sense in the context of the DC universe. It even half-heartedly tries to address the fact that Superman could solve the whole problem inside of five minutes by having Batman warn him off with a vague "I will handle this" speech. Really dumb.

On the advice of a guy that is usually pretty good about recommending comics, I bought pretty much all the ones I had listed, except Fugitive. By the time I had finished NML, I realized these stories were mostly shit.

I like the current Detective Comics trades though.

MisterHero said:
a clone of Bruce Wayne

He's not a clone he's his son!

Best scene in all of JLU, when Terry and Waller are talking

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MisterHero said:
a clone of Bruce Wayne

Nah. There's always that Batman robot. He had a Batman soul, a soul of silicon, but a soul nonetheless.

I just finished Batman and Son and am really looking forward to the rest of Morrisons run. Damian is nuits and its awesome. Actually his batman suit looks great.

Penguin

I guess this is due to the database, but I see the thread got bumped with an update.
But can't see it in the thread, but can see it fine in the reply part of it. :lol

Morrison's really been talking up his "every Batman/Superman story ever told is in-continuity'" philosophy. Throwing in Terry would be in line with that, although I am not expecting it to actually happen.

MisterHero

StorablePrawn said:
Morrison's really been talking up his "every Batman/Superman story ever told is in-continuity'" philosophy. Throwing in Terry would be in line with that, although I am not expecting it to actually happen.
Tim is 'Terry' in Batman/Superman and uses the BTAS Batwing.

lack of research on writer's part FTL

But I would like to see Terry in the DCU sometime. :p

Yeah, so... how 'bout that first issue? I hung on every word, and now I'm like an addict jonesing for another fix. o_O

Oh, and is this worthy of a new thread you think?

**SPOILERS**

duckroll

I somehow missed this thread the first time round. I haven't read Batman in ages, but Morrison's run sounds pretty interesting. A question though, how does #666 work? If it's set in the future with Devil Batman, why is Devil Batman around when the series is still in the present?

Well, #666 takes place in the near future, I'd guess only 10-15 years from the present. Damian unmasked still looks younger than Bruce is now (mid-30s), and Barbara's hair is still red, not gray. It's not like "Batman Beyond" future or anything, Devil Batman would only be a decade or so older in that issue.

Update time, solicitation and cover for #680:

BATMAN #680

Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Tony Daniel & Sandu Florea
Cover by Alex Ross
Variant cover by Tony Daniel

It’s “Batman R.I.P.” part 5 – and this issue features two events so monumental that one comic can barely contain them! First, Batman faces off against The Club of Villains. Then, The Joker makes his stand, challenging the Dark Knight to the ultimate battle of wits. Will Batman survive either of these threats – or could this be the end of Gotham City’s greatest hero?

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. For every 25 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Alex Ross), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Tony Daniel). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

On sale August 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So wait, is Paul Dini's serialized run of Detective Comics ending, or is Dini collaborating with Morrison on RIP?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
The Take Out Bandit said:
Thanks for proving me right. :D

99fokm.jpg

G-Fex

Hmm I hope that team of villians isn't a faux threat and joker's the real one :( That'd be kinda of a waste.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I just finished reading the last 10 or 12 issues of Morrison's Batman. Pretty impressed, although I'm a little unsatisfied that certain story arch's are finished in other titles. The continuity had me a little confused. I really liked the issue that dealt with Batman slipping in and out of death, and escaping from the basement that the third Batman had him trapped in. Good insight to the psyche of Batman's mind, and pretty good dialog as well. First issue of R.I.P. a little disappointing, but I'm sure it will pick up soon.

iddqd

border said:
a storyline that, when all is said and done, will have "changed things... forever" in the world of the Dark Knight.
border said:
Comic book readers still fall for this?

i cant believe this myself.
they will change nothing that is not going to be taken back
two years later.

super hero comics are made for 13 year olds and re- imagine themself every 5 years or so.
but the geeks never learn.
THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!
ill start buying into every ad next
"the best toilet paper EVER made"
"one of the greatest movies OF OUR TIME!"
"the next evolution in gaming!"

Here's an interview with Morrison about the whole thing, he makes sense of the scene at the end of the first RIP issue -

http://comics.ign.com/articles/876/876418p1.html

Apparently a colouring error made things more confusing than they should have been
Joker didn't actually kill all those people, it was just what he saw when he looked at the rorschach painting

Oh, and apparently RIP is only really in the main Batman series, the other books are just kind of having to deal with Batman not being around.

iddqd said:
i cant believe this myself.
they will change nothing that is not going to be taken back
two years later.

super hero comics are made for 13 year olds and re- imagine themself every 5 years or so.
but the geeks never learn.
THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!
ill start buying into every ad next
"the best toilet paper EVER made"
"one of the greatest movies OF OUR TIME!"
"the next evolution in gaming!"

Then why come into the thread?

Tamanon

Banned
o_O at the spoilers.

I have a theory!

Bruce himself is the Black Glove, as a way to divorce himself from the Batman life

Yeah so....wow.

I have a theory on Black Glove, somehow Damian's bloodline is related to it, I have a feeling that he's not Batman's son. Maybe Thomas Wayne had another son, or maybe I'm just seeing red herrings everywhere.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Tamanon said:
o_O at the spoilers.

I have a theory!

Bruce himself is the Black Glove, as a way to divorce himself from the Batman life

Hmm. Seems very plausible in that only he could pull something like that off.

FoneBone

What she says has to be a red herring; there's no way Morrison would give away the big reveal only 1/3 through.

I'm no longer so sure about the villain reveal, but the mega-mega-mega-retcon territory this is pretty obviously headed for worries me.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Tamanon said:
o_O at the spoilers.

I have a theory!

This would be awesome if true....

Penguin

I wonder if this is gonna turn out to be like Hush where you have someone from Bruce's past pulling his strings.

Anyhow, I think somehow Jet is in on this. She may not know it, but think the Black Glove got to her.

Also curious how long this has been in planning. The whole plot against Batman.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Penguin said:
I wonder if this is gonna turn out to be like Hush where you have someone from Bruce's past pulling his strings.

Anyhow, I think somehow Jet is in on this. She may not know it, but think the Black Glove got to her.

Also curious how long this has been in planning. The whole plot against Batman.

I thought I'd read Pre-Hush... who will be back soon IIRC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom