• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Tamanon said:
It better not be Tim:p And it sure better not be Jason Todd again.:lol
I actually thought Jason Todd was one of the few (VERY few) characters who came out in a better position after Countdown.

So I hope they don't screw that up.

OK I bought the first two for some reason and I felt a little lost in the first issue, or I wasn't feeling it I don't know. Part 2 was reallly freaking good though. I sort of want to go back and try to get all the Morrison issues I don't have. Damn all this summer stuff!

SpiderJerusalem said:
OK I bought the first two for some reason and I felt a little lost in the first issue, or I wasn't feeling it I don't know. Part 2 was reallly freaking good though. I sort of want to go back and try to get all the Morrison issues I don't have. Damn all this summer stuff!

Yeah, they're really tying it all in nicely, even the JH Williams issues.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So yeah, jaw on floor stuff, no question. The potential reveals regarding, well, everything we knew about Batman--wow. I loved how you really need to read it more than once to catch the little things, like
the cut on his shoulder from the opening fight that's laced with librium.
And jebus! All types of red herrings. I don't know what to think really. I am in denial about
Bruce's family & Alfred
. That would really fuck me up if it was all true.

And then there's Jet. Even her real name, Jezebel, is probably a red herring. But the topic she kept steering their conversation in the Bat Cave towards seemed a little too coincidental considering everything else.

Great, great issue. Batman really does seem more vulnerable than I remember in some time.

as someone who just picked up Batman again with the first R.I.P issue..... can I ask a question?

what the fuck is this "zurr en arrh" stuff about? EXPLICAR, POR FAVOR.

straydog1980 said:
as someone who just picked up Batman again with the first R.I.P issue..... can I ask a question?

what the fuck is this "zurr en arrh" stuff about? EXPLICAR, POR FAVOR.
It's a world/dimension where Batman had Superman powers. From the 50's I think.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Prime crotch said:
It's a world/dimension where Batman had Superman powers. From the 50's I think.

Batman #113:
"Batman - The Superman of Planet-X": The Batman of the planet, Zur-En-Arrh, teleports the real Batman to his homeworld. On Zur-En-Arrh, Bruce Wayne has powers equitable to that of Superman. He assists the alien Batman in fighting off a horde of robot invaders. After the robots are destroyed, the alien Batman sends Bruce Wayne back home. He gives him his Bat-Radio device as a keepsake.

Curiouser and curiouser. Especially the
last sentence

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Spike Spiegel said:

...I'm not even sure what to say, except that "uh oh" is right. I need some time to digest this. :O
what.

what a hideous costume

Dan said:
what.

what a hideous costume
What do you expect?!? It was
hand sewn from rags by a drug-addled, mentally unhinged billionaire crimefighter turned amnesiac bum, and based on a costume worn by a Batman wannabe alien from another world, in an adventure that very well could have been all in said billionaire crimefighter's head.

Frankly, I'm amazed it has pants. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Disclaimer: all I know about recent DC stuff is from GAF.

Spike Spiegel said:
What do you expect?!? It was
hand sewn from rags by a drug-addled, mentally unhinged billionaire crimefighter turned amnesiac bum, and based on a costume worn by a Batman wannabe alien from another world, in an adventure that very well could have been all in said billionaire crimefighter's head.

Frankly, I'm amazed it has pants. :p
In that case,
the costume looks far too good

Also,
Magento is going to be jealous that someone is stealing his look.

Ryu

Between this and the Final Crisis crazy ass shit, I dunno why I read stuff from the DCU anymore. I'm a sucker though and will finish both. Blah.

Blader

Ryu said:
Between this and the Final Crisis crazy ass shit, I dunno why I read stuff from the DCU anymore. I'm a sucker though and will finish both. Blah.

Ironically both written by Morrison. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think Morrison has entered the "my fans think I'm a God, so let's see if I can do a bunch of insane shit and see if they think it's genius" phase. :lol

Working for me. R.I.P. is awesome at least.

Blader

FoneBone said:
I admire how nuts Morrison is willing to be, but this mega-retcon crap is really pushing it.

It's not like he's Jack Kirby, he just does a lot of dope and writes down what he sees.

Though I guess that's pretty ballsy. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
25g3rdt.jpg

Banned
omg rite said:
I think Morrison has entered the "my fans think I'm a God, so let's see if I can do a bunch of insane shit and see if they think it's genius" phase. :lol

Working for me. R.I.P. is awesome at least.
It's better than Final Crisis, in that it's actually doing something.

Ryu

Blader5489 said:
Ironically both written by Morrison. :lol

It's true. I've read enough of his stuff in the past to give him the benefit of the doubt though. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. I remember when Loeb used to turn out a lot of great stuff - his color-categorized Marvel titles especially (speaking of which, anyone else really looking forward to Captain America White?) - but he has me second guessing almost every book he touches now. I hope Morrison isn't on the same path.

Tamanon

Banned
Couple of theories going around,
Batmite is Honor Jackson, he took that form to help lead Bruce slowly back to sanity

Although I do think it's quite remarkable that Batman's essence and willpower even when his mind is completely broken shines through, he still plods ahead and struggles to regain his bearings, he's showing a lot of strength, especially now.

omg rite said:

Not even close. That was Seaguy. Anybody who says they understand that 100% is lying, it was pure dadaism past a certain point.

And this Batman thing is completely normal compared to his Doom Patrol stories, that was some incredibly crazy, awesome stuff. Honestly, if you've read enough Morrison, the whole RIP thing makes sense, it's not as random as it seems. It picks up on many of the same ideas and themes he was using in Seven Soldiers.

Basically, Countdown was trash and Seven Soldiers was the real setup for Final Crisis and all the things going on around it (of which RIP is clearly a part).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Vyer said:
Hey omg, that pic kind of makes Spike's attempt at marking spoilers useless, don't you think?

Well to be fair, really, if you haven't read the newest issue, why would you come into the thread made for the story?

(And I don't find that very spoilery. It's just a big "WTF does that even mean?")

Haven't read it yet, but my friend tells me Nightwing is losing it too? Lame. I like Nightwing. I either wanted him to stay Nightwing, or become the new Batman.

Ephemeris

ToyMachine228 said:
I like Nightwing. I either wanted him to stay Nightwing, or become the new Batman.
We are a minority it seems. lol

But yeah, the way those guys seemed to set up shop
in the batcave
was a powerful image in addition to the way
they dispatched Dick

Here's to crime.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Not even close. That was Seaguy. Anybody who says they understand that 100% is lying, it was pure dadaism past a certain point.

Actually, I wrote a pretty in depth review of it at one point that got me my gig at CBR. I don't know that I necessarily "explained" it, but there's a lot of symbolism about mankind and achievement that runs throughout the whole thing.

Also, I have a feeling
Nightwing
is going to be fine.

But Moz is really pushing the "Well, everyone's got Wikipedia, don't they?"

You people are insane, this issue was amazing, I'm baffled how anyone can call this and Final Crisis a mess.

My guess is that Bruce was back in Zur En Harr during this issue, wheter it's real or not I don't know but I'm guessing Bruce's been using for a long while. And Honor's Joker that's my guess at least.

Vyer

omg rite said:
Well to be fair, really, if you haven't read the newest issue, why would you come into the thread made for the story?

(And I don't find that very spoilery. It's just a big "WTF does that even mean?")

*shrug* I would have looked anyway ( :D ), but this is a discussion/speculation thread for the story arc as a whole, and it IS still the last page of a new issue, and if we do it in the comic threads - and if we've been spoiler tagging this whole thread up till now - well...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So yeah, Bats is batshit insane at this point, or rather doped up with a profound clarity of vision. I'm loving it. I really don't get the complaints to be honest but I'm a huge fan of crazy ass obtuse shit that you just gotta ride out till it clicks within whatever bigger scheme he's getting at.

And nothing's happening in Final Crisis? Really? *shakes head*

Edit: Also, Nightwing isn't losing it. There's a very specific reason for his current state.

bob_arctor said:

Welcome the OT, a strange world where the Daily Planet blows up every day, and Batman is subject to Apokaliptic experiments by Granny Goodness pretty much hourly. Also, Hal Jordan is on his seventh arrest for murder today, and naturally John Stewart is in critical condition...again.

Also, guess who got stabbed in the heart with a flaming javelin! For the seventeenth time today!

Blader

bob_arctor said:

For me, it's not so much that nothing is happening, but rather that nothing cohesive is happening. What's the plot of Final Crisis? Two issues in, and there are so many random and different subplots and characters moving in different directions that it's impossible to tell what's actually going on.

to be honest though, coming from somebody who hasn't bought a DC comic (or any comic for that matter) since 1993 or so, I'm finding the R.I.P. story to be much more engaging and entertaining, while the Final Crisis stuff hasn't really caught my interest yet.

I'm still going to get every issue of Final Crisis, but I'll probably skip the crossover stuff.

R.I.P. has my attention though, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom