• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman follows the trend of the underperforming blockbuster in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Warner Bros.’ promise of an epic throwdown between the world’s two most beloved superheroes isn’t translating to epic box-office numbers in the world’s number two moviegoing market.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (蝙蝠侠大战超人:正义黎明) debuted in China with a coveted Friday day-and-date with the US, earning RMB 129 million ($19.8 million) including RMB 8.8 million ($1.35 million) from Thursday midnight screenings.

Notably, its opening day was the sixth biggest ever for a Hollywood import, and after the late-night Thursday showings its online user rating on cultural website Douban soared to 8.1/10, likey fueled by initial fanboy reaction.

However, as a broader class of Chinese moviegoers took to the cinemas over the weekend, that score tumbled to 6.7/10 Saturday saw a measly 13% increase in ticket sales to RMB 145 million ($22.3 million). In comparison, Spectre — which was widely shunned by Chinese audiences following its $49 million debut in November — had a 30% bump on its first Saturday.

Things will only get worse for what was supposed to be a gangbusters kickoff to Warner Bros.’ challenge to Disney’s wildly successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sunday saw a steep 33% drop at the box office, giving Batman v Superman RMB 372 million ($57.1 million) for the three-day weekend, according to initial reported figures, a bit below analyst expectations of $70-$80 million.

Weekday drops will continue to hit the film hard, and increased competition from local films opening for the Tomb Sweeping Holiday next Friday are likely to see its box office receipts drop by a precipitous 80% or more in its second weekend. In the end, Batman v Superman’s box office receipts will likely crawl just over the $100 million threshold, far below initial predictions of $150-$230 million.

Dawn of Justice is keeping up with the trend that sees Hollywood live-action blockbusters underperforming in the territory after failing to strike a chord with China’s increasingly picky mainstream audience: Avengers: Age of Ultron couldn’t live up to its lofty expectations, despite raking in $240 million for Disney; Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation ($135.6 million) misfired even though it was backed by Alibaba; and Spectre ($83.5 million) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($125.4 million) both crashed and burned due to poor word of mouth following strong fan-fueled opening weekends.

Batman v Superman will meet a fate similar to the latter two films, and just as The Force Awakens failed to lay important groundwork for Disney’s future Star Wars installments, Batman v Superman’s tepid reception this weekend in both North America and China means that Warner Bros.’ plans to establish an enduring cinematic comic book universe that could rival Disney’s Marvel is off to a sputtering start.

Meanwhile, both Zootopia and The Revenant continued with their unexpected breakthroughs in China. The wildly successful Disney animation’s total now stands at RMB $1.3 billion, just shy of breaking $200 million after four weeks in theaters, while the DiCaprio vehicle has hit RMB 332 million ($51 million) – despite a polarizing reception and mixed word of mouth, the actor’s star power in China has kept curious audiences coming to see his Oscar-winning performance.

Source: http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-batman-v-superman-fails-pack-punch/

Maybe it's not so easy to get all the money from China after all!

Wait,
what about the thing about China banning movies/TV shows with resurrection in them?
Is the next movie safe?

psaman17

Banned
Wait,
what about the thing about China banning movies/TV shows with resurrection in them?
Is the next movie safe?

Thats full of shit. Off top of my head i can already name a popular chinese movie with a character being brought back from the dead. Stephen chow's cj7.

Platy

Nationalistic country don't like nationalistic movies by the USA

They were lucky when they had part of Transformers set in china

Sign me up.

Me too. If only for the inevitable Superman slapping Batman like this scene.

k97LQjl.gif

DiscoJer

I would suggest casting more Asian actors if you want to do better in Asian markets.

At least for Star Wars and the generic action movies. Something like Batman vs Superman is probably always going to be American-centric (given the IP and setting)

I saw it on Friday here in Yangzhou, China. Told my friends here not to waste their time.

I also liked Zootopia better.

I would suggest casting more Asian actors if you want to do better in Asian markets.

Just throw some sexy Korean celebs in a movie with some sexy western celebs set in China and you'll have a recipe for instant success here.

3N16MA

Banned
Zootopia is having an incredible run in China. Animated films simply don't this well. Everyone thought KFP3 would be making this kind of cash.

kswiston

I don't see much of a trend. Pretty much everything is making more than previous films in the same franchises. I think Furious 7 and to a lesser extent Age of Ultron and Jurassic World just led to a lot of over-predicting.

Wanace

Saw it in China yesterday. Audience was practically nonexistent except for some scattered families. At one point I heard the kid near me tell his dad, I dont understand, and they got up and left. Later another family left.

They just try to get the Chinese audience with a token Chinese character (when lex's assistant was on screen the girl I went with said "oh, a beautiful chinese girl") but thats just pandering and it wont draw audiences.

Also The Revenant here was the same deal. People were leaving, constantly looking at their phones, etc. Chinese audiences have different likes and the subtitles being tok complex for kids to read can play a role if there is a lot of boring exposition like in BvS.

Saw it in China yesterday. Audience was practically nonexistent except for some scattered families. At one point I heard the kid near me tell his dad, I dont understand, and they got up and left. Later another family left.

They just try to get the Chinese audience with a token Chinese character (when lex's assistant was on screen the girl I went with said "oh, a beautiful chinese girl") but thats just pandering and it wont draw audiences.

Also The Revenant here was the same deal. People were leaving, constantly looking at their phones, etc. Chinese audiences have different likes and the subtitles being tok complex for kids to read can play a role if there is a lot of boring exposition like in BvS.
Tao Okamoto is Japanese.

I saw it on Friday here in Yangzhou, China. Told my friends here not to waste their time.

I also liked Zootopia better.

Just throw some sexy Korean celebs in a movie with some sexy western celebs set in China and you'll have a recipe for instant success here.

They literally "tried" doing this with Dawn of Justice (although she was Japanese)

CloudWolf

Thr Chinese know what they want, Furious 8

Funny enough, Dark Knight got banned in China cause of that scene
Chinese censoring is really strict. Ever wondered why that club in Skyfall had that elaborate set-up with the komodo dragons? It's because the Chinese government forbid Sony to directly show a Western man killing Chinese citizens.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Batman V Superman, and Star Wars are quintessential american properties, I wouldn't expect them to do well. They have a history in western cultures they simply don't over there.

A big reason furious 7 did well was because it is a very simple movie, extravagantly showcasing all the riches of life, and other things that are considered 'western'. And you best believe Universal tried their best to mention the death of a famous western actor as much as possible in the interviews. Those people watching that movie felt as though they were taking part in a worldwide phenomenon, and it worked.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Spectre ($83.5 million) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($125.4 million) both crashed and burned due to poor word of mouth following strong fan-fueled opening weekends.

TFA crashed due to weak word of mouth? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom