• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Here's the legs of Zack Snyder's previous films (Domestic total / OW):

Dawn of the Dead - 2.21
300 - 2.97
Watchmen - 1.95
Some owl movie - 3.46
Sucker Punch - 1.90
Man of Steel - 2.49

Avg - 2.99

Man of Steel's multiplier is misleading since WB separated Thursday previews from the Weekend gross. Since BvS' opening will count the Thursday gross, the apples to apples number for Man of Steel is 2.26.

Sorry, I'm shit at math, can you explain these numbers please?

Domestic total / opening weekend

NotLiquid

Remember, age of ultron was on pace for $200m OW until the mayweather/pacquiao fight just WRECKED its Saturday take

if anything stops bvs from 200m, it'll be the word of mouth spreading quick enough for people to say "fuck it" tonight and tomorrow night

Also, kids being off school today will probably help them quite a bit

It's fairly possible and I think having the review embargo not held up until release day was somewhat of a mistake on WB's part. Man of Steel was decent but not necessarily a box office darling and it probably divided more people than sold them on the concept. The novelty of having Batman in there might not last.

It hasn't stopped the Transformers movies. Good reviews don't always matter, particularly for spectacle films like this. It won't have super legs, but it will still make a ton.

Transformers is an exception since Michael Bay practically has the critic-proof shield of being the king of the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, properties that have tried to cash in on similar circumstantial tropes like Transformers such as Battleship and G.I. Joe perform mediocre at best (though the latter at least has a modest budget to offset it).

A couple I met at the barber shop this morning said that they went to see "Batman". Not "Batman v Superman". It's probably just a shortcut name, but considering that the husband was rocking this sweet Batman logo fitted cap, I think they went for the Batman.

All the 2016 movies and limited amount of money and people chose to see Batman v Superman?

There's Deadpool, Zootopia, Captain America Civil War, X-Men Apocalypse, Finding Dory, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Sorry, I'm shit at math, can you explain these numbers please?
300's domestic total was $210.6M and its opening weekend was $70.9M. Divide the former by the latter and you get the number shown. Rinse and repeat.

Man of Steel's multiplier is misleading since WB separated Thursday previews from the Weekend gross. Since BvS' opening will count the Thursday gross, the apples to apples number for Man of Steel is 2.26.
Indeed. I kind of didn't want to mess around with that one since that $12M Thursday gross was tickets bought by Walmart and sold in their stores. We never got a figure of how many of those tickets were sold, but second hand sources at the time suggested they didn't sell anywhere close to all of them.

kswiston

I'd say at least $140m, but pretty much.

I have a feeling it'll break $170m, though.

I lowballed since you'd technically get $120M from BvS if its Thursday previews to full weekend matched up with The Force Awakens (where previews accounted for about 23% of the weekend).

I agree that something around $170M seems likely though.

Indeed. I kind of didn't want to mess around with that one since that $12M Thursday gross was tickets bought by Walmart and sold in their stores. We never got a figure of how many of those tickets were sold, but second hand sources at the time suggested they didn't sell anywhere close to all of them.

The multiplier is 2.39 if you just drop the 12M from the film's total gross. I suppose something between 2.30-2.35 is more reflective of reality if we count unsold Walmart tickets.

NimbusD

Will be interesting to see how this does.

Honestly this shit show only serves to make me feel really bad for Ben Affleck. Especially after people seem to have warmed to his Batman since he was first announced.

Hope he still gets to direct his own Batman and doesn't just bail.

We knew it was having a good opening weekend it's freaking Batman vs Superman, but after seeing the movie I believe this will have a huge drop because word of mouth.

N.Domixis

Banned
All the marvel releases havr made me a marvel fanboy, For some reason DC movies don't pull me in. I think it is the goofy tone and colorful world of MCU vs the dark and serious DC films.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
All the 2016 movies and limited amount of money and people chose to see Batman v Superman?

There's Deadpool, Zootopia, Captain America Civil War, X-Men Apocalypse, Finding Dory, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Nominated worst post of the thread.

Your situation =/= other people

BumRush

I agree with a lot of the posts here...WOM doesn't really hurt opening weekend. But bad reviews plus a mediocre cinemascore (if it gets one) will hurt it in the coming weeks.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

This post makes no sense.

gamz

Honestly this shit show only serves to make me feel really bad for Ben Affleck. Especially after people seem to have warmed to his Batman since he was first announced.

Why?

I mean seriously, why?

Kevyt

Twilight coming in stronger than Marvel and DCU.

I was part of the problem tbh. I watched all the twilight movies.

It's all Jacob's fault.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

30488-woody-harrelson-crying-money-b-8fc5.gif

He'll be fine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
All the marvel releases havr made me a marvel fanboy, For some reason DC movies don't pull me in. I think it is the goofy tone and colorful world of MCU vs the dark and serious DC films.

funny enough, the TV situation is the opposite

goofy fun with The Flash & dark grim with Daredevil/Jessica Jones

It's weird, i hated the movie but I still want it to succeed somewhat. I don't want DC to scrap all of their plans even though they should definitely postpone Justice League and get rid of Snyder. I'm expecting a big sunday drop and a bigger drop than Man of Steel for the second week-end. I don't see BvS doing that well internationally either but China might compensate for the rest of the world.

I rewatched both ASM films after the last Civil War trailer, and they are far better than their reputations suggest. Garfield and Stone will take some beating as a Spiderman leading duo.

I turned on ASM2 during a flight back from London to Seattle. I was done probably 20 minutes in. Seriously, fuck the ASM series.

So glad that crap got ended.

Curious to see what the Friday-to-Saturday drop, and then the Saturday-to-Sunday drop looks like.

Could be early indicators as to whether or not the word of mouth on the thing is powerful enough to override the marketing blitz and the strength of the premise alone.

The main consideration will be the strong opening weekend because that will reinforce the view that there is extreme public interest in these characters. A sharp 2nd week fall off is inevitable given the apparently divisive nature of the film but that will be interpreted as a failure of the specific product, not the franchise potential.

WB does have some explaining to do to its investors however. They should have released last year which would have given them time to assess public reaction and if necessary dump Snyder/retool Justice League without compromising the start date in April. Because they delayed for 6 months and committed to part one starting next month before seeing a dime of revenue from the franchise their hands are tied. However I think part 2 will see a lengthy delay which is why Terrio and Snyder are backing away from saying the films are linked anymore.

NotLiquid

While preference of tone is one thing, the thing that really undoes much of DC's movies for me (except the first two Dark Knight movies) is that they're just not consistent at pulling it off. I'm a huge fan of the MCU but even when it has a jockular exterior it has a consistent nuance to it that allows me to believe in many of the stakes, and similarly the street level Netflix series like Daredevil and Jessica Jones that take place in that same universe can take a very serious, gritty tone and pull it off in an engaging matter.

I never really got invested in many of the characters or the stakes that recent DC movies present, and much of it ends up rather tone deaf.

kswiston

Well, it did make more than 700 million dollars worldwide. It might not seem like much these days but it is a respectable number even though Sony was disappointed.

Spider-man went from the biggest comic film property of all time to being outgrossed by every comic flick of 2014. Hence the disappointment.

It would be like Star Wars Rogue One making less than Star Trek Beyond.

Curious to see what the Friday-to-Saturday drop, and then the Saturday-to-Sunday drop looks like.

Could be early indicators as to whether or not the word of mouth on the thing is powerful enough to override the marketing blitz and the strength of the premise alone.

I hope everyone on both sides is disappointed.

#BurnEverything

jmood88

It hasn't stopped the Transformers movies. Good reviews don't always matter, particularly for spectacle films like this. It won't have super legs, but it will still make a ton.
It's telling that people can only cite Transformers when they talk about movies that are critically panned but still do well. It's rare that movies that are so unpopular with critics can stick around for awhile and it's something that Michael Bay has perfected and has no bearing on the prospects of this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom