• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, the consistency of the Twilight films is really remarkable, especially in light of the Hunger Games films' dropping quite a bit after 2, and the Divergent series completely falling off a cliff.

Spider-man went from the biggest comic film property of all time to being outgrossed by every comic flick of 2014. Hence the disappointment.

It would be like Star Wars Rogue One making less than Star Trek Beyond.

Sure, it was a disappointment but it wasn't a bomb, Sony just spent way too much on the movie, just like Warner probably did with BvS.

Sure it does. It tied or beat Avengers Ultron and that was coming off the huge blockbuster Avengers. It's huge. Don't down play it.

Without knowing the performance for Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I wouldn't say its huge. Didn't we already know this movie had tons of pre-sale tickets before the reviews came out?

kswiston

In hindsight, the consistency of the Twilight films is really remarkable, especially in light of the Hunger Games films' dropping quite a bit after 2, and the Divergent series completely falling off a cliff.

I think that Potter and Twilight had a larger group of people who were emotionally invested in the characters/world. Starting with the second film, all of the Twilight films had extremely consistent domestic grosses. We saw the same thing with Potter between #4-7, before 3D inflated the gross of the final film.

Hunger games was hot for a couple of years, and then a significant portion of the audience decided that they didn't care how the series ended.

Without knowing the performance for Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I wouldn't say its huge. Didn't we already know this movie had tons of pre-sale tickets before the reviews came out?

Thursday had about $14M in presales at the beginning of the week. The Weekend in total had close to $30M in presales.

It's telling that people can only cite Transformers when they talk about movies that are critically panned but still do well.

I think it's because the Transformers movies did SO well that they stay front of mind. The discrepancy between the critical consensus and the financial take is so wide that it sorta overshadows any other example.

BUT, leaving out Transformers films:

Twilight: New Moon - 29% RT score, 296mil domestic
Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel - 21% RT score, 219mil domestic
Alice in Wonderland: 52% RT Score, 334mil domestic
Twilight: Eclipse - 49% RT Score, 300mil domestic
Hangover Part II - 34% RT Score, 254mil domestic
Pirates: Stranger Tides - 32% RT Score, 241mil domestic
Man of Steel: 56% RT Score, 291mil domestic
Oz the Great and Powerful: 59% RT Score, 234mil domestic
Maleficent: 49% RT Score, 241mil domestic
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 21% RT Score, 191mil domestic
Amazing Spider-Man 2: 53% RT Score, 202mil domestic

That's going back to 2009. (I stopped counting Twilight sequels halfway through, too.)

What you see there is a thing that Hollywood's understood for quite awhile now: Branding trumps pretty much every other factor when it comes to receipts.

I saw it last night in a semi packed theater, even if it was a 0% total shit show I would have went
Batman x Superman in a movie on the big screen, for $12 sure i'll see it

the real test is weeks 2 and 3, see how big of a drop it is, I still think people should go, its just ok and thats good enough for movies these days

kswiston

I think it's because the Transformers movies did SO well that they stay front of mind. The discrepancy between the critical consensus and the financial take is so wide that it sorta overshadows any other example.

That's going back to 2009. (I stopped counting Twilight sequels halfway through, too.)

What you see there is a thing that Hollywood's understood for quite awhile now: Branding trumps pretty much every other factor when it comes to receipts.

Goodwill also takes a long time to wear off:

Pirates of the Caribbean - 79% RT - $654M worldwide
Dead Man's Chest - 54% RT - $1.066B worldwide
At World's End - 45% RT - $963M worldwide
On Stranger Tides - 32% - $1.045B worldwide

Shrek - 88% - $484M worldwide
Shrek 2 - 88% - $920M worldwide
Shrek 3 - 40% - $799M worldwide
Shrek 4- 58% - $753M worldwide

It does, however, have an effect on future sequels (well, not named Twilight, I suppose), which should be a lesson that Hollywood learns but tends not to due to overseas audiences coming to the rescue.

Domestic grosses for various "rotten" franchise:

Pirates: 305 - 423 - 309 - 241
Transformers: 319 - 402 - 352 - 245
Alvin: 217 - 219 - 133 - 85
Hangover: 277 - 254 - 112

Domestic audiences have been very unkind to threequels and fourquels to bad films. And we'll see how things go for the Snow White and Alice sequels this year.

Garlador

It does, however, have an effect on future sequels (well, not named Twilight, I suppose), which should be a lesson that Hollywood learns but tends not to due to overseas audiences coming to the rescue.

Domestic audiences have been very unkind to threequels and fourquels to bad films. And we'll see how things go for the Snow White and Alice sequels this year.

Yes, more than anything, should DC stick with this, it'll be interesting seeing the box office for films like Aquaman or Cyborg.

inky

It will do fine. It seems to be split along the middle, so some positive wom it's going to get.

I think it will be a similar case to MoS, proportionally speaking. Won't break records, will fall a little bit short of expectations, will do well enough to carry on from it.

kswiston

Even using domestic totals, Transformers and Pirates are only down about 20% over the original film after several shitty sequels. I mean, $240M is basically in the same range as films people really liked (Star Trek 09, Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier), so the brand is still overpowering quality.

I'm part of the problem but boy did it suck. The audience reaction at my theater was pretty tepid. I'm predicting a great first weekend and an insane drop.

One guy clapped at the end of mine, for about 3 seconds until he realized no one else would follow. The Ghostbusters trailer got a better reaction.

kswiston

Cinemascores aren't all that useful. Other than Thor 1 (B+) and Avengers (A+), all of the MCU films have had cinemascores of A- or A. Legs have varied greatly.

Busty

Banned
For what it's worth in Glasgow's Cineworld (Europe's tallest cinema I believe) had every day time showing of BvS totally sold out today with the evening's screenings filling up fast.

I literally got the last seat for the 10am showing with the next two at 10:10 and 10:40 already sold out. Chatting with the staff they said the only other film that has had this much demand was The Force Awakens.

It seems that opening on the Easter weekend was a masterstroke on WB's behalf even if they were going up against Zootropolis (which is Zootopia in the UK) which was also opening this weekend.

FoneBone

Opening previews are pretty useless indicators of overall weekend performance, even within the same genre.

At best, we can conclude that the weekend take will be north of $125M, but that was already a given.

Hell, even if you take into account factors like release timeframe, it's not that reliable.. Closest comparison I could think of was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and that only made $10 million in Thursday previews. (BvS will obviously open significantly higher, but not 2.7 times higher.)

jmood88

Good job doing the research I wasn't willing to do.

kswiston

Hell, even if you take into account factors like release timeframe, it's not that reliable.. Closest comparison I could think of was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and that only made $10 million in Thursday previews. (BvS will obviously open significantly higher, but not 2.7 times higher.)

Deadpool was $12.7M, which would probably be the second closest comparison for time of year. I think we can agree that BvS isn't going to open to close to $290M.

Even using domestic totals, Transformers and Pirates are only down about 20% over the original film after several shitty sequels. I mean, $240M is basically in the same range as films people really liked (Star Trek 09, Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier), so the brand is still overpowering quality.
TF and Pirates look better than they do, considering their first films were the audience favorites of their respective years.

Both have a fifth film coming out next, off the heels of fourth films with the worst WOM of the series. I'm honestly expecting both to struggle to make $200M domestically... which probably won't matter much when they still do $900M internationally. Maybe they'll be the first uber blockbuster franchises that continue solely with overseas audiences in mind.

True. But it's also worth noting that MOS got an A- CinemaScore rating, and that that didn't translate into particularly impressive legs.
If a comic book film gets less than an A Cinemascore, it should raise some eyebrows. And even then, it can mean very little. Ultron got an A and still had some very weak legs.

inky

Pacific Rim got an A Cinemascore rating and it still got murdered by Grown Ups 2. ;_; Heck, GU2 probably got an A rating as well.

That's what I'm saying. It says anything short of a billion will be a huge disappointment. I think it will clear a billion. It will be bittersweet for Warner, but it won't be panic mode.

I understand the rest of the movies will be a tougher sell from here, and it probably won't be a runaway success, but the DC Universe won't die at the feet of this movie.

Ovid

I saw it last night in a semi packed theater, even if it was a 0% total shit show I would have went
Batman x Superman in a movie on the big screen, for $12 sure i'll see it

the real test is weeks 2 and 3, see how big of a drop it is, I still think people should go, its just ok and thats good enough for movies these days
For $12+? Mediocre is not good enough.

Sorry, I want to get my money's worth.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I went with two friends from work who were not super invested in comic book films. One of them said he was a huge Marvel fan, but I think he is only watched the movies and has never read a comic book in his life. The other one didn't seem interested at all one way or the other. The first knew about the bad reviews going in and II didn't know anything going in. Both of them said they actually enjoyed the movie A Lot. Take that for what it's worth. I am a big comic book fan and a big DC fan and I enjoyed it for what it was, but was also disappointed in a lot of aspects. Namely the distracting score in two or three parts, the the weird way it was edited, too many Batman dream sequences. And an overall heavy hand. I wouldn't mind a little levity, not the MCU variety, but just a little bit of lightness to lighten up the overall extremely dark mood of the film.

I'm starting to wonder if, in the way Man of Steel was sort of the tipping point for "collateral damage in blockbuster films" getting thoroughly examined and vilified, Batman v. Superman is going to be the movie around which a similar narrative coalesces: "Why don't our superheroes like being superheroes?"

Up until Man of Steel, the idea of digital cityscapes being laid waste while millions of presumed deaths fell into the cgi dust left by the heroes/villains was just sorta taken as read. That's just part of the spectacle of these things, right? For some reason, seeing Superman partake in that caused people to focus on just what it was they'd been watching for the last 10 years and re-evaluate. Suddenly your heroes had to take this into account, everyone had to take into account what that looked like, and what it meant to the story, and why was it nobody was really giving that sort of callousness any real thought. Man of Steel wasn't the worst culprit by any stretch, but it definitely became the lens by which the subject was examined.

It could be that Batman v Superman is the film that causes people to write thinkpiece after thinkpiece, cementing the narrative that maybe there's something to the idea that the superhero films be more for the kind of people who made superheroes a thing in the first place: Children.

I mean, if that's the case, I guess it's a good thing this film came out, then.

(I'm also wondering if, much in the same way that Man of Steel sorta erased Into Darkness' complicity in the city-destruction sweepstakes that summer, Batman v. Superman will take all the light that might otherwise fall on Civil War for being thematically similar)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
For $12+? Mediocre is not good enough.

Sorry, I want to get my money's worth.

That is definitely on you, but I could easily spend more at Burger King... The last time 12 measly dollars bothered me, I was in college. If you are in a financial position where that 12 is a chunk of your discretionary income, then I understand.

Well, it did make more than 700 million dollars worldwide. It might not seem like much these days but it is a respectable number even though Sony was disappointed.
Amazing Spider-Man 2's total budget including marketing neared $400 million, which is why Sony went into panic mode when it made $700 million. (For reference, Sony doesn't have the merchandise rights for the IP, so they couldn't make up for it with merchandise sales.)

kswiston

Amazing Spider-Man 2's total budget including marketing neared $400 million, which is why Sony went into panic mode when it made $700 million. (For reference, Sony doesn't have the merchandise rights for the IP, so they couldn't make up for it with merchandise sales.)

They still get money from product placement and would have had co-marketing deals. Sony didn't spend close to $200M on marketing out of pocket.

That is definitely on you, but I could easily spend more at Burger King... The last time 12 measly dollars bothered me, I was in college. If you are in a financial position where that 12 is a chunk of your discretionary income, then I understand.

huh.

I mean, the argument was that he wants more value for his money than just "eh."

I don't know what your Burger King ordering habits have to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom