• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut |OT| - Men are still good (out now)

Ahasverus

He doesn't attempt 'Kent' in this clip.

Batman doesn't interrupt the first attempt. Superman says what he wants to, stops, then starts choking. Then Batman gives him another opportunity to talk, and he again doesn't attempt 'Kent', however the second time you can argue Batman just zones out after 'Martha'.

But we don't hear Superman attempt to say 'Martha Kent'.
I hear the "Kkkkkk" and his mouth moves as in pronouncing vowels, but it's obvious it's really hard for him and isn't able too. Then Batman does his psycho act and all goes to hell.

Well, I dunno, I can see it.

atr0cious

Because it's not something we dig deep to prove. It's present in nearly every one of his films, and in BvS, there are numerous depictions of it without it being called for it. Watching the UC now, you had any number of hundreds of ways to establish that you are in a underground event for criminals. They decide to open it with a fight between some random white guy vs some random black guy, which is the one Bruce bet on and won. Violence is very much Snyder's thing. It's not even a bad thing, but it is what it is.

It's like asking to prove he has an excessive focus on violence is like asking for evidence of excessive slowmo in 300. It's fucking everywhere, and if you can't see it, you're either being intellectually dishonest or this is one of those debates where I have to explain every miniscule point with a goddamn dragon's horde of evidence because anything less is used to discredit the whole argument. The same way my disengagement of you is taken as admitted defeat, even though there is no real connection there.

If you are questioning something as axiomatic as Snyder's penchant for violence, then that's a clear sign this is will be a far deeper rabbit hole than I am willing to go down. No, thank you.
This isn't proof. You saying look at this isn't critical analysis. You need to prove his use of visual language isn't to emphasize his subjects, which they are. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's bad. BvS violence is even tamer than his usual work, so you're objections seem dated, misplaced, and uninformed. And your logic about excessive slow mo in 300 means you haven't the slightest idea of what fetishize means.

But you're right, you're not ready to actually dig into a movie, so keep on with your shallow readings and word salads.

Didn't explain how Lex knew their identities either. I would have been fine with a smarmy "You'd have to be an idiot to not realize it" line from him.

Alienous

Didn't explain how Lex knew their identities either. I would have been fine with a smarmy "You'd have to be an idiot to not realize it" line from him.

He was spying on metahumans, so the film sets a precedent for how he would know. So we know he's a super smart guy, and takes an interest in the superheroes. The identity discovering isn't a huge leap from those two things.

Ahasverus

This bit is left to the imagination. It's interesting because he knew for 2 years according to the heliport scene.

Riddick

Wonder Woman's theme is ridiculously distracting especially during the final fight. Horrible, horrible choice there by Zimmer. They also temporarily killed the pacing with that pathetic attempt to introduce Flash and the other metahumans. Lex Luthor is fucking annoying and a miscast imo.

Otherwise a pretty fucking impressive superhero movie, as per usual movie critics failed. I don't know if these fuckers are getting paid by Disney but Age of Ultron, that generic crap. has a much better rating than this movie. Fucking seriously?

Fezan

Don't know about Bruce but for Superman it was clear that Lex Knew that Superman Cares for lois lane. In normal life Clark was the only one close to him so it was simple

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
... Because it's not his 'biological' mom? That seems a little nitpicky, tbh.
That is a crazy rationalization, I've never even remotely heard anyone attempt to view things that way. The Kents are his mother and father, just like any adopted child but pretty on the nose in his case, they are his parents, despite not being his biological parents. This is in addition to being just sort of common knowledge about families in reality, completely established in the movie itself.

Clark Kent: Did the nightmares ever stop?
Jonathan Kent: Yeah. When I met your mother. She gave me faith that there's good in this world. She was my world. I miss you, son.
Clark Kent: I miss you too, Dad.

geomon

Lex knew the entire time. That's why he setup Lois in the desert to lure Superman. That's why he invited Kent to his mansion to introduce him to Bruce and setup the whole Batman vs Superman thing in the end.

Alienous

He didn't have a file on them in the convenient metahuman folder.

Which he intended for Batman to steal, I believe. Letting Batman know that you know his identity isn't a great idea, and letting Batman know that you know Superman's identity probably isn't a great idea either, if you want to force the two to square off.

I don't know why he wanted the metahuman files stolen, but his intricate manipulation of events leads to the assumption that it was part of his plan.

Ashhong

Oh my god you guys are still going at it...smh

Which he intended for Batman to steal, I believe. Letting Batman know that you know his identity isn't a great idea, and letting Batman know that you know Superman's identity probably isn't a great idea either, if you want to force the two to square off.

I don't know why he wanted the metahuman files stolen, but his intricate manipulation of events leads to the assumption that it was part of his plan.

I thought I read those emails were added after the script and forced by the studio or something. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no reasoning to it, just a teaser for JL. Or maybe that was the knightmare scene. Or both. I'm not sure

edit: however, the Diana Prince one would need to have been a part of his plan since it's actually part of the story. But then what was the point of that indeed.

Fezan

That is a crazy rationalization, I've never even remotely heard anyone attempt to view things that way. The Kents are his mother and father, just like any adopted child but pretty on the nose in his case, they are his parents, despite not being his biological parents. This is in addition to being just sort of common knowledge about families in reality, completely established in the movie itself.

Like I said What would u think would be more useful for Batman. Saying save my Mom ? or save martha from him ? One is some what useful information other is not. Also at the start of the fight he did say that Lex luthor had his mom . When Batman starts fighting .
At that time Batman didn't knew who superman is

17 pages deep is too much to find a consensus. Is the extended cut worth a view?

A lot here are saying that it is. Everyone seems to agree it improves the film. Whether that's a 4/10 becoming a 6/10, or a night and day difference seems to vary from person to person.

Compbros

Like I said What would u think would be more useful for Batman. Saying save my Mom ? or save martha from him ? One is some what useful information other is not. Also at the start of the fight he did say that Lex luthor had his mom . When Batman starts fighting

As a desperate man about to die I wouldn't be thinking rationally at all. Speaking of earlier in the fight, as you said, Superman says that Lex has his mom and later on says the name Martha, why wouldn't Batman make that connection? Because they're not thinking rationally.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I think Lex's plan was always, since Superman showed up in MoS, to have Batman take him down. Coming from a place of jealousy and anger. That is why he had been feeding Batman for two years, because he knew if anyone stood a chance it was him. No one else could do it (maybe the other metahumans, but he probably thought Batman to be the safest option).

Once he got access to the ship and told the computer to teach him all about Krypton, he went fully mad and decided to create Doomsday once he learned about it. Or maybe it was Steppenwolf who reached out to him while he was in the ship, driving him crazy and creating Doomsday as a result.

This made me laugh hard. Credit to LilaLauneBaer

ImQ1dmp.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Doing a direct adaptation of TDKR doesn't quite work IMO. TDKR also has problems with its conflict set-up, where they effectively neutered Superman's character into a government lackey with no ability to think for himself (especially when said government is morally corrupt in TDKR). It doesn't help Batman either, who is pretty much reduced into a testosterone-fuelled rage machine.
What exactly do you mean by "doesn't quite work?" I meant that it would have made for a patently better story than the one told in this movie even if imperfect. And would have been much more suited to Snyder's strengths.
Like I said What would u think would be more useful for Batman. Saying save my Mom ? or save martha from him ? One is some what useful information other is not. Also at the start of the fight he did say that Lex luthor had his mom . When Batman starts fighting .
At that time Batman didn't knew who superman is
You're arguing about something else entirely. It's fine if you want to justify the writing in that scene through the lens that he was trying to give Batman the most useful scrap of actionable information he could squeak out. I was replying to the assertion that he said "Martha" because Martha Kent isn't his biological mother, which is bonkers.

Jonbo298

The answer lies just under the banner on the OP.

I read those but I am looking for more than one opinion/perspective because of my opinion with the original cut being very meh.

Thank you all for the quick replies. Appreciate it. I might put my $8 in VUDU credit towards it.

Alienous

I'm a fan of everything about BvS's Batman, except for the killing. That's why I hate the killing so much.

He's been through a lot of shit. His Bruce and Batman personas have blended together, and he's actually drinking and having nights with supermodels (seemingly). It seems like he hung up his cape and cowl, only to return after the events of Man of Steel. In the middle of fights he's fucking up, and getting angry at himself and others for it.

I like this Batman on the arc of how Batman would progress over the course of his career. I especially like that he'll be the oldest Justice Leaguer (well, Wonder Woman is, but...) - more wise than everyone else on the team (sans Alfred), which gives him a clear place and purpose.

Then he kills, and I think about how they've forfeited the chance to have a really dramatic moment in the future films where he is faced with the choice of killing. At this point "Kill the Joker" shouldn't be a sentence that can be finished before Batman puts a bullet in Joker's damaged head.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm a fan of everything about BvS's Batman, except for the killing. That's why I hate the killing so much.

He's been through a lot of shit. His Bruce and Batman personas have blended together, and he's actually drinking and having nights with supermodels (seemingly). It seems like he hung up his cape and cowl, only to return after the events of Man of Steel. In the middle of fights he's fucking up, and getting angry at himself and others for it.

I like this Batman on the arc of how Batman would progress over the course of his career. I especially like that he'll be the oldest Justice Leaguer (well, Wonder Woman is, but...) - more wise than everyone else on the team (sans Alfred), which gives him a clear place and purpose.

Then he kills, and I think about how they've forfeited the chance to have a really dramatic moment in the future films where he is faced with the choice of killing. At this point "Kill the Joker" shouldn't be a sentence that can be finished before Batman puts a bullet in Joker's damaged head.
But it should make the eventual Joker scene of "HEHEHEHE WE'RE THE SAME, YOU AND ME, BATS!" a bit more entertaining. Well, not entertaining but fun. Well, not fun but... you know... something. I guess.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

If that is what it would take to get rid of the damaged tattoo, I'm all for. I hate it, just sticks out so much. Like the Joker's design and his other tattoos, but the damaged part just annoys me.

Hope Batfleck brands him on his damaged tattoo.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Lex thinks he's s genius, he's hardly going to minimalise the achievement of figuring out who Superman and Batman are by asserting anyone can do it. As for how he knows, it doesn't matter.

jelly

I forgot how absolutely shite TV news/other media are for telling the story. I'm watching this and thinking fuck you Snyder every now and then. It wasn't good the first time but my god the first hour, I had to stop, will watch the rest later.

Lex thinks he's s genius, he's hardly going to minimalise the achievement of figuring out who Superman and Batman are by asserting anyone can do it. As for how he knows, it doesn't matter.

It does matter. It's the difference between being an asspull character and having logical motivations.

For those interested, the iTunes version has 2 hours worth of extras, probably the same as the Blu Ray. Vudu has a 21 minute featurette that previews the new Batman v Superman & Wonder Woman films. I believe it's the same as what was shown on the CW

TheFuzz

I wasn't rationalizing it that way, I was directly responding to the post about "I would have said mom, not Martha." It's completely within reason to tell Batman to (whatever he does to Supes), save Martha. If I was bringing up the fact for someone to save my mom, I would be inclined to maybe mention her name. However, the fact Clark always calls them mom and dad was already brought to my attention on the previous page, so my point was moot anyway. Not a big MOS fan myself so I had forgotten most of it.

If you liked the original cut, you'll like this more.

If you were 50/50 on the original cut, you might** want to see this.

If you hated the original cut, you don't need to see this.

The 30 minutes fleshes out the plotlines a bit, but at the core of it is still a shitty script, poor characterization, and a bad concept to kick off a cinematic universe.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's a completely different film.

Wow.

What were WB thinking releasing that original cut?

Ehh, I wouldn't call it a different film. Like said before; if you did not like the TC, chances are you won't care for this version. Some exceptions like Schnepp from Collider. Same story, same characters etc. Just some scenes are extended and added/rearranged.

Kinda feeling for Snyder though. It got ugly the first few weeks after release.

This is what happens when you add blood on post.

CmJAWnXWgAE6ZnA.jpg

But yeah, for the most part is definitely an improvement over the theatrical cut. It builds the characters better before the final showdown.

JB1981

Why didn't Superman see that Batman was chasing heavily armed goons? And why didn't he pursue them? Ugh so many silly logical missteps in the script. Sloppy.

mrkgoo

For those interested, the iTunes version has 2 hours worth of extras, probably the same as the Blu Ray. Vudu has a 21 minute featurette that previews the new Batman v Superman & Wonder Woman films. I believe it's the same as what was shown on the CW

I wanted to know about the alternate cut vs theatrical cut from iTunes.

I know the extras are usually streamed now.

But what about the actually movie? How does it handle the download? Does it actually download two movie files? That will be like 15 GB!

Ehh, I wouldn't call it a different film. Like said before; if you did not like the TC, chances are you won't care for this version. Some exceptions like Schnepp from Collider. Same story, same characters etc. Just some scenes are extended and added/rearranged.

Kinda feeling for Snyder though. It got ugly the first few weeks after release.

Not to come off callous, Snyder should've known what he was in for. He's fortunate enough to release his cut at all. Now, Fox did a number on Josh Trank.

blacklotus

Haven't watched it yet.

But i really liked the movie, minus a few things i've done differently or not done at all.

But i also loved the Martha bit, so.

"Wait. I'll make you a promise: Martha won't die tonight."

me at theater: they are friends again <3 <3 <3 WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE WOOHOO*

Superman could have saved his mom without any problems and do it faster as well but I think Batman saved Martha more for his sake than Supermans, Superman even says "my mom needs me" but Batman tells him to go to Lex and promise him that he'll save her. Bruce couldn't save his Martha, this time nothing was going to stop him.

The "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!!" moment could have been handled better though.

Top Bottom