• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battalion 1944 - WWII multiplayer shooter kickstarter (UE4 - PC,PS4,XB1)

sflufan

Banned
These guys have really mismanaged the campaign tremendously.

Their initial funding goal was too damned low to begin with which means that they were caught flat-footed when they made that goal within the first two days. As a result, they really have had to scramble to come up with stretch goals (none of which are particularly original and could easily have been under consideration from the outset) and once they did, it's far too late for those to have much of an impact.

I don't like how they've done the stretch goals. There are some great features there, but the majority of them seem highly unlikely, especially the one at 1.2mil which would be 12 times what the game initially asked for. Some of it (the tutorial level) seems like stuff that you'd expect to be in the game in the first place.

Taking so long to announce the stretch goals seems a bit counterproductive. They've put lots of effort into actually working on those things even though there's a possibility they aren't even going to be added to the game, which means that will have been a waste of time. They should have just announced the goals earlier which would have increased the chances of them being reached. I can see it perhaps getting to the British Forces goal, but even that seems like it might be a bit far off. They reached their starting goal in the first few days but then it's taken almost until 6 days before the end to announce stretch goals that probably aren't even going to be reached. It's too late for stretch goals.

cjw

Neo Member
I'd like to see them hit 400k, however likely that is. Everything after that I'm not really interested in. Pacific theatre would be cool too. Essentially, I'd like them to focus on nailing the multiplayer.

I really don't understand why they've spent time creating those new assets for that trailer when they could end up being useless. For some reason it's taken them over 3 weeks to announce these stretch goals, if they hadn't done that they could have announced them sooner. The new trailer also doesn't make any mention that the Russian and British forces seen in that trailer are two of the stretch goals (Only points out that there are stretch goals now), which seems a bit misleading to me.

RanoNL

Damn. They surely f'ed up the Kickstarter momentum. Announcing stretch goals in the last week. They should have aimed way higher. I'm afraid it will become a mediocre game.

However. I'm still glad I backed them. There should be a WW2 shooter on this generation. I really hope it will work out for them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brammertron/status/702647334421864449

For a team made up of supposed FPS veteran developers and professional players they've got some fucking stupid priorities.

I thought this game was a new hope for WWII FPS on console, I guess not.

I was excited for this game, taking it as a way to revive the WW2 FPS extravaganza of the last decade.

Well, I guess not. It'll probably be funded and launched sometime in the future, but I don't see this making any effect on the industry as a whole.

Phandy

So another game has been announced that is very similar: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drivenarts/days-of-war

Not to de-rail the thread about Batallion which does look pretty good but...

Interestingly enough, if anyone's played Day of Defeat a lot, the map in this video might be quite familiar....
It looks like a carbon copy of Donner, as well as the rest of the game looking identical to DoD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqxrDitdLE

Edit - They deleted the old video with negative comments about it and reuploaded, I changed the link.

Doesnt look really good. They have been teasing gameplay for months and this is what they have to show?
Overly spastic soldiers jumping around like idiots... totally ww2.

I know they said they wanted basicly a old school fast paced shooter. But dont know it just looks wrong.

I still don't get why these games focus on 1944 when the war really was about the soviet union vs germany. Why don't they use the engine to redone kursk?

also the game looks like garbage imo.

ck8215

Well, they wanted to make an old school WW2 shooter and one of their main inspirations was Call of Duty 2. And for me it looks pretty much like CoD 2. The movement is maybe a litte faster.

And for the graphics, I'm pretty sure it will look a lot better when they release it and if it still looks like this but the gameplay feels good I don't really care.

Looks pretty good imo. The graphics could use work and they're gonna have a rough time going up against Cod WW2 now.

I can already tell people are going to be turned off by the movement especially paired with the setting, but that is how cod 1 and 2 played, especially competitively. Their whole premise was to recreate that experience so I hope they don't cave to more modern gamers expecting a slower paced game. We already have games like Day of Infamy for that.

Though I get why they used TDM for the video for demo purposes I hope they focus a lot on S&D. Moreover I wish they would just launch with S&D as that was the best mode and I want it to be populated instead of just servers and servers of TDM. COD 1/2 S&D's comp scene was great.

nowarning

Looks alright I guess, but if I wanted to play COD1/2, I would just play them instead. I know it's only an early vid but it looks very similar.

I'll be keeping my eye on it anyway.

CryptiK

Doesnt look really good. They have been teasing gameplay for months and this is what they to show?
Overly spastic soldiers jumping around like idiots... totally ww2.

I know they said they wanted basicly a old school fast paced shooter. But dont know it just looks wrong.

It looks fucking amazing. It looks exactly what they have been advertising. Its not a realistic game and never advertised as one.

Well, they wanted to make an old school WW2 shooter and one of their main inspirations was Call of Duty 2. And for me it looks pretty much like CoD 2. The movement is maybe a litte faster.

And for the graphics, I'm pretty sure it will look a lot better when they release it and if it still looks like this but the gameplay feels good I don't really care.

and it's going to be tough for all these as CoD is going back to WW2 themselves too :p

Jackpot

Banned
Why on earth did they add a brown filter of all things?

sss.png

Javier23

Banned
Is CoD 2 much worse looking than I remember it being or is there no point to this game when you can simply reinstall the former?

Xyber

Gameplay look very promising so far. Seems to be playing just like they wanted it to, movement looks very smooth and fast and not clunky like a lot of other early access shooters popping up.

CryptiK

That is very true. The first thing I thought, when I read CoD is going back to WW2, was: I hope Battalion isn't going to drown in the hype for the new CoD :D
Not going to be a major problem since their main target audience is PC. And PC players generally don't give a fuck about COD anymore.

ck8215

Not going to be a major problem since their main target audience is PC. And PC players generally don't give a fuck about COD anymore.
Wow, is Cod that irrelevant on PC? I always had the impression Cod is still a big thing on PC.
I mean both games probably going to play totally different. But of course we have no idea how the new Cod is going to play but I'm pretty sure their not returning to classic Cod gameplay.

CryptiK

Wow, is Cod that irrelevant on PC? I always had the impression Cod is still a big thing on PC.
I mean both games probably going to play totally different. But of course we have no idea how the new Cod is going to play but I'm pretty sure their not returning to classic Cod gameplay.
Yep its completely and utterly irrelevant these days. Cant get past 7k on a good day on Steam.

Top Bottom