• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle.net is now just "Blizzard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitet

Goodbye my friend
CZTqXIi.jpg

molnizzle

Good job getting my point. A download client in which was promised to be much more than just that. My mistake was swallowing it whole, but can you judge me? It was Blizzard during its prime.

Pretty sure it was never promised to be anything more than a download client. Sone people just assumed that Activision would push it to be the next Steam. That's not Blizzard's fault.

Arkeband

Banned
Pretty sure it was never promised to be anything more than a download client. Sone people just assumed that Activision would push it to be the next Steam. That's not Blizzard's fault.

Battle.net was never just a download client, it was the entire network-user interface. We used to have chatrooms and lobbies where people showed off their avatars and player levels, there were things hidden in the UI, it forced player interaction. Battle.net is a stripped down and minimized chat window that defaults to only your friends list. You have to go out of your way to actually interact with people.

It'd be like if GAF changed and got rid of the gaming and off topic boards, and you had to search for topics you were interested in and then you'd get added to a generic live thread. A huge step backwards in terms of community and usability.

sibarraz

Banned
Heartstone players were just too confused each time they booted up this battle.com thing for their blizzard games

Also, Blizzard has to remove the extra deck slots in this change too

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is entirely unacceptable.

molnizzle

Battle.net was never just a download client, it was the entire network-user interface. We used to have chatrooms and lobbies where people showed off their avatars and player levels, there were things hidden in the UI, it forced player interaction. Battle.net is a stripped down and minimized chat window that defaults to only your friends list. You have to go out of your way to actually interact with people.

It'd be like if GAF changed and got rid of the gaming and off topic boards, and you had to search for topics you were interested in and then you'd get added to a generic live thread. A huge step backwards in terms of community and usability.

That stuff was never in this download client though, it was baked into the games themselves. The actual "Battle.net client" has always just been the thing you use to re-download your Blizz games.

Grief.exe

I guess from one perspective, there is a whole generation of new Blizzard fans that have no association with Battle.net like those of us who grew up on the Blizzard brand.

end of an era :-/

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

BraXzy

I don't have nostalgia for it, and I never liked the name personally. Always sounded dated to me. But it seems like an unnecessary change.

I still intend to keep calling it battle.net. Same as Kodi still being XBMC for me. Or Mandrake because Mandriva still sounds stupid.

Starviper

Nooo. I grew up with the battle.net name, just having it be a Blizzard client seems so silly.

I'd happily buy the domain if they're gonna sell it..

Hari Seldon

Yeah I remember during Diablo 1 days it was basically like super old school Yahoo chat rooms from what I recall. Guilds organizing and people BSing with each other. It was amazing compared to today lol.

Nicodemic

You know it's coming...

World of Blizzard
Blizzard Watch
Heroes of Blizzard
Blizzard Stone
Blizzard Craft

And Diablizz.

Arkeband

Banned
You know it's coming...

World of Blizzard
Blizzard Watch
Heroes of Blizzard
Blizzard Stone
Blizzard Craft

And Diablizz.

Don't forget their official dating app, Blizzr!

Swipe left to Polymorph, swipe right to [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

Fitting, since in many ways original battle.net was better than what they turned it into in the "2.0" era. Sad to see it go though.

"Blizzard App"? Gross. Anything with the word "app" in it immediately makes me think of a slapped-together mobile cash-grab. No, I don't care that the term is more and more common, or that it's just short for "application." Grown-ups call them "programs." And Battle.net is a gaming institution. If Blizzard has no respect for their own amazing heritage, I don't see why I should have much faith in their future remasters and remakes.

Theory:
This transition to "Blizzard" is because Activision will launch Destiny 2 on PC exclusively(no Steam) on their own client, the Activision Blizzard client.

CTLance

That's kinda strange. Change for the sake of change.

I miss Battle.net 1.0. No love for the rather restricted 2.0 revision, but I'd never have thought that they would abandon that monicker.

And Blizzard App feels like the height of blandness.

Oh well. :'(

RIP in pieces, old buddy.

Nyoro SF

End of an era. I know they did it to modernize, but it's the end of a tribute to long years of history.

Theory:
This transition to "Blizzard" is because Activision will launch Destiny 2 on PC exclusively(no Steam) on their own client, the Activision Blizzard client.

Yep. This is the endgame for a lot of major publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom