• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

Theorry

Quentin Scar, Amiens are really great imo.

Never understood why Oman was so loved. That map was really unbalanced. The team that came from the sea with boats could easily been spawn trapped.

daviyoung

Banned
The only bad map in BF1 is Suez. The rest are good/great (Fao Fortress is alright). There are a couple of maps that are some of the best in Battlefield history.

I can't agree, I just don't get the point of infantry maps like Fort Vaux and Argonne Forest. If I don't want the Battlefield experience of expansive maps and vehicles I wouldn't play Battlefield. Suez is a pain because it's so flat, and whoever gets the two capture points in Fao Fortress first seems to keep them for the whole round. The old maps are much, much better than any of the DLC ones though.

I can't agree, I just don't get the point of infantry maps like Fort Vaux and Argonne Forest. If I don't want the Battlefield experience of expansive maps and vehicles I wouldn't play Battlefield. Suez is a pain because it's so flat, and whoever gets the two capture points in Fao Fortress first seems to keep them for the whole round. The old maps are much, much better than any of the DLC ones though.

You don't like rupture?

I think it's an incredible map tbh.

I'm intrigued, please name them.

I can't think of a single map that comes close to karkand, mashtuur city, wake (og), Oasis, caspian border or gulf of Oman.

St. Quentin Scar, Amiens and Ballroom Blitz. I haven't played They Shall Not Pass enough but I really like Soissons and Verdun Heights.

I'm not a big fan of the vanilla BF2, 3 and 4 maps.

St. Quentin Scar, Amiens and Ballroom Blitz. I haven't played They Shall Not Pass enough but I really like Soissons and Verdun Heights.

I'm not a big fan of the vanilla BF2, 3 and 4 maps.
Vanilla bf3 maps sucked but the vanilla bf2 maps were mostly great and bf4 isn't far behind.

Paracel Storm, Zavod 311, Hainan Resort and Rogue Transmission were all pretty solid. It's funny when they put in the bf3 maps it just showed how much better the vanilla bf4 ones were.

Turkoop

Banned
Maybe I'm the only one but BF1 has for me the best map design, I like really all of them, dlc maps are also great especially the night maps

Vanilla bf3 maps sucked but the vanilla bf2 maps were mostly great and bf4 isn't far behind.

Paracel Storm, Zavod 311, Hainan Resort and Rogue Transmission were all pretty solid. It's funny when they put in the bf3 maps it just showed how much better the vanilla bf4 ones were.

So good so good.

Maybe I'm the only one but BF1 has for me the best map design, I like really all of them, dlc maps are also great especially the night maps

Right there with you. There's not a single map I don't like.
And by the looks of it, the second DLC isn't going to change that either, that's looking really great.

Striker

Also how do spots with the trench periscope work? Do I have to manually spot them?
You sit behind a wall, trench, anything and you're able to peak over and spot and you spot them like you normally do. 3D spotting occurs in this instance too so outlines of enemies and vehicles like tanks happen on the map. It's a useful tool for the larger maps, open maps and if you're sniping from afar. Easy points in busy flags because your points rack up quickly.

As for favorite BF1 maps, my top three has to be Ballroom, Empire's Edge, and either Rupture or St. Quentin Scar.

You sit behind a wall, trench, anything and you're able to peak over and spot and you spot them like you normally do. 3D spotting occurs in this instance too so outlines of enemies and vehicles like tanks happen on the map. It's a useful tool for the larger maps, open maps and if you're sniping from afar. Easy points in busy flags because your points rack up quickly.

As for favorite BF1 maps, my top three has to be Ballroom, Empire's Edge, and either Rupture or St. Quentin Scar.
Ah OK, the only issue I've had is sometimes the outline won't appear and I just get a spot assist and not a periscope spot assist and I have no idea how to change that.

Also where the hell is air superiority at, since the game mode for the 2nd dlc is already announced, they better release it soon and not with the 3rd or 4th dlc.

WillyFive

Soissons is an excellent map as well, it takes the core concept of Quentin Scar and makes it better in every possible way.

BF4 had a bunch of really great maps, especially in it's DLC. All of the water maps in particular are excellent.

Soissons is an excellent map as well, it takes the core concept of Quentin Scar and makes it better in every possible way.

BF4 had a bunch of really great maps, especially in it's DLC. All of the water maps in particular are excellent.
I disagree with Soissons being better than Scar, Scar has a much more interesting flag layout.

WillyFive

I disagree with Soissons being better than Scar, Scar has a much more interesting flag layout.

Although the way the flags are spread about in Scar is less game-y and more realistic, I've found that the flag themselves in Soissons are more interesting to play in than that of Scar. I've had fun in every flag of Soissons, whether it be as infantry, or as a tank, or as a plane; but there are a couple of flags in Scar where I don't bother going to since it's just either a grind of constant deaths or boring non-descript ruins or going around that same windmill in the city.

Although the way the flags are spread about in Scar is less game-y and more realistic, I've found that the flag themselves in Soissons are more interesting to play in than that of Scar. I've had fun in every flag of Soissons, whether it be as infantry, or as a tank, or as a plane; but there are a couple of flags in Scar where I don't bother going to since it's just either a grind of constant deaths or boring non-descript ruins or going around that same windmill in the city.

I just think the Soissons flags are laid out in a way that's almost Rush-like whereas Scar's flags are better for emergent gameplay. I will say Soissons is perhaps the prettiest multiplayer map I've ever played on though.

Edit: also I hate how to unlock the TSNP melee weapons you have to get 50 kills with the club, then knife etc. instead of just any blunt weapon.

I do appreciate most of the assignments that make you use the lesser-used weapons/equipment. But shit like "do 20 spots with the periscope" is stupid because the periscope is terrible and worthless. At least it's not to hard to get that one.
You take that back. The Periscope has won me so many sniper fights.

I re-installed BF4 because I hadn't played it since BF1's launch and was curious to compare. So besides the obvious that the graphics are worse and my issues with vehicle customization bloat/attachments/scopes/ttk/gunplay etc. that are all reasons why I prefer BF1, one thing stuck out to me that needs to be addressed for BF1. Browsing the server browser was pitiful, since even though all the DLC maps have been free or on sale for a dollar or less at points, the large majority of the servers were still only vanilla maps. Imo after the Premium lifecycle is finished for this game they should make all DLC maps free for everyone and mandatory downloads, along with combining the server rotation/matchmaking categories in to one with all maps. Obviously things like Frontlines would still be TSNP maps only and whatnot but yeah. It's such a simple fix and they still haven't done it for BF4 despite the community begging DICE for years now :/

So, after grinding all week to complete some of the weekly medals, I learn that any completed progress towards a medal is wiped at the end of the week when they are reset. That's pretty stringent.

I assumed progress would be saved for the next time a medal was included in the weekly 5.

The whole medal system doesn't seem very helpful for promoting teamwork or PTFO. Why can't we select any medal and work at it in our own time?

I think I'll just forget about them for now.

So, after grinding all week to complete some of the weekly medals, I learn that any completed progress towards a medal is wiped at the end of the week when they are reset. That's pretty stringent.

I assumed progress would be saved for the next time a medal was included in the weekly 5.

The whole medal system doesn't seem very helpful for promoting teamwork or PTFO. Why can't we select any medal and work at it in our own time?

I think I'll just forget about them for now.

the medal system is easily the most head-scratching/backwards/regressive thing about the game

Pastry

Banned
The more I play BF1 the more I think that I want whatever BF game that comes out in 2018 to be a modern setting. A modern setting with the graphics you can get with the current Frostbite would be stunning.

WillyFive

The more I play BF1 the more I think that I want whatever BF game that comes out in 2018 to be a modern setting. A modern setting with the graphics you can get with the current Frostbite would be stunning.

Nah. It would be great to have a remake of 1942 with these graphics though. The next BF game should definitely be Korean War or something, though, not modern.

Recent modern BF settings have kinda sucked for various reasons. Off the top of my head, way too many attachments, way too many lock on weapons, every weapon being able to put scopes and grips on it is novel and whatnot, but makes it so you can get sniped by rifles, carbines and smgs a lot more than bf1 (faster ttk makes it even worse), the soundtrack was much worse, and it didn't really feel like a believable war setting. The last one is a nitpick but still. There have been like 5 modern BF games in a row, it's so nice to have a WW1 Battlefield.

Instead of getting a slightly upgraded 4/hardline graphically, the jump from something like 1942 or BFBC2 Vietnam would be a lot more impressive.

Edit: also how can I tell when my at mines are destroyed? I'm assuming you can only have 3 on the ground at max.

Nah. It would be great to have a remake of 1942 with these graphics though. The next BF game should definitely be Korean War or something, though, not modern.

I'd like Nam but there's probably not enough diversity for levels. I miss helicopters.

I think a fictional world war circa 1970 would be perfect.

I'd like Nam but there's probably not enough diversity for levels. I miss helicopters.

I think a fictional world war circa 1970 would be perfect.
Yeah I can actually pilot helis worth a damn in battlefield unlike planes. And unlike modern settings there aren't 50 billion locks on you at all time. Bfbc2 nam with better maps would have been god tier. Phu Bai Valley and Operator Hastings were great but the rest were pretty poor.

daviyoung

Banned
1950s Korean War with MiG-15s would be ace. I wonder if there are political reasons that war is under-represented in media. I only remember one game using that war and it was a flight sim.

Pastry

Banned
I just don't think DICE would do the WW1 to WW2 jump without something else in between. I think it makes more sense to space them out. That would mean BF1942 would likely be a PS5 release if we continue with the two year dev cycles.

I feel like its too soon. They could easily keep popping out maps for this and id still play it.
Right there with you but we also have to keep in mind Apocalypse probably won't be out until March 2018 at the earliest I'd say. Still though, the WW1 setting is so great to me that I'd be content playing only this as my Battlefield fix for the rest of the gen as long as the community and support are still there. They really need to make all maps free and mandatory downloads before they jump ship though.
I just don't think DICE would do the WW1 to WW2 jump without something else in between. I think it makes more sense to space them out. That would mean BF1942 would likely be a PS5 release if we continue with the two year dev cycles.
Wouldn't we be up to BF1944 by that point? (also 1943 sucked and I will never understand the love it got). But yeah I agree, I'd rather have something that's not WW2 next just because it'd be a bit too similar to WW1. My list goes something like Vietnam> Korean war> 2143> Desert Storm> WW2> Modern/near future

Arent there 2 expansions left after the Russian one? Theyll do what, release one every 6 months?

Hopefully the Gallipolli one and Apocalypse are both out by mid 2018 at the latest and then they just release piecemeal free maps like at the end of BF4's support with Dragon Pass remastered and Operation Outbreak.

WillyFive

Arent there 2 expansions left after the Russian one? Theyll do what, release one every 6 months?

They released two this year, so it's easy to expect them to release the other two next year, and if BF4 is any indication, there will be two or three free maps after that.

Orcus

They released two this year, so it's easy to expect them to release the other two next year, and if BF4 is any indication, there will be two or three free maps after that.
Maybe, but these DLCs also are coming with 6 maps instead of 4, so I'm not so sure.

Olengie

Imma be pretty peeved if the thing they have in store to announce is the supposedly leaked Battlefield 1 Revolution. (Game with Season Pass for 59.99ish) which is not cool imo

Korean War wouldn't be a bad option. Same with Vietnam. As much as I would looove for them to go back to WW2, I think they would run the risk of making it look like a 'me too' response to COD going back to WW2. Of course, Battlefield started out as a WW2 series, but the mass audience might think they are just playing copycat and dismiss it.

Then again, fuck the mass audience, because a WW2 Battlefield with the modern Frostbite engine would be so amazing.

Back to BF1, I admit I haven't really played in awhile. How's the game looking currently? I remember there being a huge controversy over grenades having a cooldown, how did that whole thing pan out?

Korean War wouldn't be a bad option. Same with Vietnam. As much as I would looove for them to go back to WW2, I think they would run the risk of making it look like a 'me too' response to COD going back to WW2. Of course, Battlefield started out as a WW2 series, but the mass audience might think they are just playing copycat and dismiss it.

Then again, fuck the mass audience, because a WW2 Battlefield with the modern Frostbite engine would be so amazing.

Back to BF1, I admit I haven't really played in awhile. How's the game looking currently? I remember there being a huge controversy over grenades having a cooldown, how did that whole thing pan out?
Axed it, now a lot of grenades that used to have 2 at spawn only have 1 as well. There is a nice little circle loading thingy that shows up next to your grenades when you're near an ammo kit though that tells you how long you have to wait before you get a resupply.

Axed it, now a lot of grenades that used to have 2 at spawn only have 1 as well. There is a nice little circle loading thingy that shows up next to your grenades when you're near an ammo kit though that tells you how long you have to wait before you get a resupply.

Hmm I'll have to try it out again. Only 1 grenade for most now? If that includes anti tank grenades, I imagine that makes tanks even more of beast lol.

Hmm I'll have to try it out again. Only 1 grenade for most now? If that includes anti tank grenades, I imagine that makes tanks even more of beast lol.
No just normal grenades, so stuff like the light anti-tank grenade/gas grenade etc.

And I don't know if they nerfed tanks or people just got more aware or something but tanks (especially ones who aren't in rush or operations and stay back and play conservatively the entire time) go down pretty quickly now. Plus there can only be like 2 tanks max per side in a 64 player server. If anything I hope there's a dlc map with more tanks.

No just normal grenades, so stuff like the light anti-tank grenade/gas grenade etc.

And I don't know if they nerfed tanks or people just got more aware or something but tanks (especially ones who aren't in rush or operations and stay back and play conservatively the entire time) go down pretty quickly now. Plus there can only be like 2 tanks max per side in a 64 player server. If anything I hope there's a dlc map with more tanks.

Ah ok cool. While I do enjoy tanks, sometimes it seemed like they just wiped the floor. But I agree, a tank heavy map similar to some of the BF4 maps would be pretty cool.

EYEL1NER

Looks like I did get the "Call to Action" tag for the Summer Mission, but no Squad XP Boost for me, for whatever reason.
:(

LORANT92

Just as a heads up: beginning today, console players can participate in the CTE.
You can register and start downloading the client under Options within the game - you'll need premium.
Client is ~40-50GB. Post feedback here.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just as a heads up: beginning today, console players can participate in the CTE.
You can register and start downloading the client under Options within the game - you'll need premium.
Client is ~40-50GB. Post feedback here.

Awesome. Cant wait to try out the new maps. they look stunning.

Top Bottom