• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Alpha Test Invites Going Out [Psyduck And Conquest At GamesCom]

ColonialRaptor said:
And bullets flying through them will drag the smoke along with it... and choppers flying over the top that will push it down, and a jeep whizzing through it that will cause a tunnel through the smoke, and a jet burning past over the top that drags the whole smoke cloud 10 metres over.

YUM!

Where did you see this? oO

It's one thing to have volumetric smoke, it's another to have it be affected by physics.

For the record, BC2 had volumetric smoke.

Kyaw

ColonialRaptor said:
And bullets flying through them will drag the smoke along with it... and choppers flying over the top that will push it down, and a jeep whizzing through it that will cause a tunnel through the smoke, and a jet burning past over the top that drags the whole smoke cloud 10 metres over.

YUM!

I doubt this would be in MP but SP will be spectacular no doubt.

Metalmurphy said:
Where did you see this? oO

It's one thing to have volumetric smoke, it's another to have it be affected by physics.

For the record, BC2 had volumetric smoke.
In the part where the tanks are rolling up to the base the A-10 warthogs fly over and do a run with their GAU on the target. There is already something burning and you can see the smoke plume around their jet wake as they fly past, I'm sure of it.

Check out the vid.

Kyaw

I just checked, didn't see the smoke curling up after the plane or anything else.

My eyes are tired right now though.

luciddefender

Neo Member
Izayoi said:
Nope. Non-gimped versions only for me. Have never had a problem with teammates on the PC. It's back to the way it was in BF2, and that's how it should be.

I love it how people dismiss Bad Company 2 without giving it a fair shake.

I've been playing Battlefield back before it was called Battlefield(Codename Eagle) -- and I thoroughly enjoyed both Bad Company 1 on the 360 and Bad Company 2 on the PC.

Izayoi

Banned
petethepanda said:
So are they completely set on the server-browser-in-a-browser Battlelog thing?
I have zero doubt that there will be an in-game server browser. Even if there weren't, Battlelog is one of the fastest server browsers that I've ever used.

luciddefender said:
I love it how people dismiss Bad Company 2 without giving it a fair shake.

I've been playing Battlefield back before it was called Battlefield(Codename Eagle) -- and I thoroughly enjoyed both Bad Company 1 on the 360 and Bad Company 2 on the PC.
I've played tons of Bad Company 1 and 2. By "non-gimped version" I meant I only played the PC version, where I'm saying that I have never really had a problem with teammates.

For those of you who both played the BF3 alpha and played a lot of BFBC2, did the BF3 damage model sit somewhere between BFBC2 normal and BFBC2 hardcore/vietnam, or was it roughly the same as the latter?

mr_nothin

Banned
endlessflood said:
For those of you who both played the BF3 alpha and played a lot of BFBC2, did the BF3 damage model sit somewhere between BFBC2 normal and BFBC2 hardcore/vietnam, or was it roughly the same as the latter?
It's in between but def not as hardcore as hardcore mode in BC2. Its just enough to please both crowds I believe.

Velion

mr_nothin said:
It's in between but def not as hardcore as hardcore mode in BC2. Its just enough to please both crowds I believe.
Yeah its pretty decent, no more filling up guys with a full clip before they die.

Izayoi

Banned
Aselith said:
I wonder if you can use that to widen environmental tunnels and open crawl spaces out of the vents in the subway part and stuff?
No, because that breaks the fundamental design of the map.

mr_nothin said:
That's a shame actually. I love the damage model of hardcore in BFBC2, it's just everything else about hardcore that I hate :p

Aselith

Izayoi said:
No, because that breaks the fundamental design of the map.

I don't see how. The rest of the map is designed to be destructible. Those vents will make people fish in a barrel. Being able to bypass that help the attackers who are already at tremendous disadvantage in that area plus it's not like you can just tunnel through an environment. The C4 seems to only let you go one "world unit" deep when it carves a depression. Breaking a wall open seems right in line with BF3's design to me.

Orlandu84

Aselith said:
I wonder if you can use that to widen environmental tunnels and open crawl spaces out of the vents in the subway part and stuff?
I doubt that they could support that because it would require the physics engine to take account of all gravity stresses on buildings above and below ground. That would take an awful lot of processing power just for the engine to make certain that a building or tunnel could remain standing.

mr_nothin

Banned
endlessflood said:
That's a shame actually. I love the damage model of hardcore in BFBC2, it's just everything else about hardcore that I hate :p
The damage model in HC actually just pisses me off to no end. I absolutely hate it. Especially on Nelson Bay

ColonialRaptor said:
In the part where the tanks are rolling up to the base the A-10 warthogs fly over and do a run with their GAU on the target. There is already something burning and you can see the smoke plume around their jet wake as they fly past, I'm sure of it.

Check out the vid.

Reminds me of people claiming this about gt5, how some gif showed what looked like physics for volumetric smoke making it sweep over the car along it's lines etc etc.

You'd need a dedicated high end card just for physx to do this btw, so no ,it won't be in the game, if it is it still won't be nearly as elaborate as you claim, and 99 percent of people won't be able to use it.

Mafia 2 had a very basic version of it, and it butchered the framerate.
Stuff as fancy as what you claim (like the scripted non physics swirl in killzone 2 when the pod flies over) would need to have individual particles affected, just not gona happen for a few years.

supersaw

Rapefrog said:

fWCOp.png

I beckon all of the deities for this map in the Beta.

Top Bottom