• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Alpha Test Invites Going Out [Psyduck And Conquest At GamesCom]

mr_nothin

Banned
Sethos said:
I always thought BC2 was a pile of dung but I tried it a few days ago, see if it could soothe me over until at least the BF3 Beta but man, it's like a completely different game in comparison, feels so restricted and dumbed down at its core.

And that muffle filter on EVERY SOUND is also very apparent.
Yea exactly!

Sounds like I have ear muffs on. Everything sounds super compressed and enclosed. So glad BF3 sounds much more open, dynamic, and natural. It's seriously dumbed down a lot and I never realized just how much until now. I've never been a BC basher but this is just bad now :/

Cant even strafe while running, whenever you reload while running...it stops you from running, cant change weapons while running. Prone is very much missed too.

All the gustav spamming is just lol. Medics running around spraying full auto with LMGs and having more accuracy than my burst fire. My squad never seems like it's working together....almost always distanced from each other. The changes, major and minor, are immediately noticeable.

Velion

winston_pr said:
Origin pre-order bundle looks good but the following Terms of Service suck:

Performance of the Contract:
I have no problem with backing up the installer (you can do that with origin), Also I still can download stuff I've had since its been EADM well after 1 year.

mr_nothin said:
Yea exactly!

Sounds like I have ear muffs on. Everything sounds super compressed and enclosed. So glad BF3 sounds much more open, dynamic, and natural. It's seriously dumbed down a lot and I never realized just how much until now. I've never been a BC basher but this is just bad now :/

Cant even strafe while running, whenever you reload while running...it stops you from running, cant change weapons while running. Prone is very much missed too.

All the gustav spamming is just lol. Medics running around spraying full auto with LMGs and having more accuracy than my burst fire. My squad never seems like it's working together....almost always distanced from each other. The changes, major and minor, are immediately noticeable.

Exactly why I'm glad they fused medic class with assault.

LordCanti

I tried BC2 once since the BF3 alpha ended and...yeah...I can't do it either. The hit detection, geometry problems, and just straight up stuttering have me feeling like I'm playing a last-gen game.

BF3 seems to combine the incredible hit detection of COD4, and the pacing of BF2, which is a good combination in my book. The one map we've played had forced choke points, but that was kind of the nature of the mode. In conquest, that problem shouldn't exist.

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
I tried BC2 once since the BF3 alpha ended and...yeah...I can't do it either. The hit detection, geometry problems, and just straight up stuttering have me feeling like I'm playing a last-gen game.

BF3 seems to combine the incredible hit detection of COD4, and the pacing of BF2, which is a good combination in my book. The one map we've played had forced choke points, but that was kind of the nature of the mode. In conquest, that problem shouldn't exist.
I completely agree. Even though there were forced choke points, there was still enough room in between to allow for some form of flanking without feeling cheap. It's also a lot more open than BC2, in terms of the options you have and how to get there.

I might catch flakk for this but I think this combines the best of COD/Battlefield/Bad Company/MoH. In close quarters it feels more like COD but not in a bad way (and I'm as big a COD hater as others here)...it still has those battlefield elements layered on top to stop it from feeling like a straight up shooting gallery/deathmatch. In CQC you dont have to worry as much about recoil and spread because its CQC. I'm not saying it plays like COD, I'm just saying that it crosses over enough with that gameplay to appease COD players without alienating die hard battlefield players. They've found a finely tuned balance that I didnt think was possible to achieve.

Outside it played more like Battlefield with some BC2 elements thrown in. There are still those big over the top movie moments but it's more akin to documentary style action (Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan) rather than Hollywood summer blockbuster (Rambo/Expendables). Outside you have to worry a lot more about cover, maneuvering/tactics, recoil/spread, timing, and covering teammates, etc. Not to say that CQC isnt focused on that..it's just amped up by a lot outside.

It's hard to put it into words but battlefields outside play exactly how you think they should play out and CQC plays exactly how you think CQC would play. It's weird to see people completely change their playstyle/strategy/class depending on which section you're in. I see a lot more people play assault/support in the subway than the park. It was pretty rare to see recons in the subway. In the park, there's a lot more Recons as you could imagine. Didnt notice too many ppl playing as support class outside in the park area. I guess it's too open to suppress as efficiently. Assault is pretty much always around.

They found the perfect pacing/flow and I hope they only make minor adjustments, to the core, here and there. 3D spotting sounds like it's getting the revamp/re-haul it needs.

In comparison, BC2 feels like a lot of running around until you somehow find an opening to arm the mcom.

LordCanti

mr_nothin said:
I completely agree. Even though there were forced choke points, there was still enough room in between to allow for some form of flanking without feeling cheap. It's also a lot more open than BC2, in terms of the options you have and how to get there.

I might catch flakk for this but I think this combines the best of COD/Battlefield/Bad Company/MoH. In close quarters it feels more like COD but not in a bad way (and I'm as big a COD hater as others here)...it still has those battlefield elements layered on top to stop it from feeling like a straight up shooting gallery/deathmatch. In CQC you dont have to worry as much about recoil and spread because its CQC. I'm not saying it plays like COD, I'm just saying that it crosses over enough with that gameplay to appease COD players without alienating die hard battlefield players. They've found a finely tuned balance that I didnt think was possible to achieve.

Outside it played more like Battlefield with some BC2 elements thrown in. There are still those big over the top movie moments but it's more akin to documentary style action (Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan) rather than Hollywood summer blockbuster (Rambo/Expendables). Outside you have to worry a lot more about cover, maneuvering/tactics, recoil/spread, timing, and covering teammates, etc. Not to say that CQC isnt focused on that..it's just amped up by a lot outside.

It's hard to put it into words but battlefields outside play exactly how you think they should play out and CQC plays exactly how you think CQC would play. It's weird to see people completely change their playstyle/strategy/class depending on which section you're in. I see a lot more people play assault/support in the subway than the park. It was pretty rare to see recons in the subway. In the park, there's a lot more Recons as you could imagine. Didnt notice too many ppl playing as support class outside in the park area. I guess it's too open to suppress as efficiently. Assault is pretty much always around.

They found the perfect pacing/flow and I hope they only make minor adjustments, to the core, here and there. 3D spotting sounds like it's getting the revamp/re-haul it needs.

In comparison, BC2 feels like a lot of running around until you somehow find an opening to arm the mcom.

The hate for COD really begins with Modern Warfare 2, and the introduction of killstreaks, perks, and other things that completely ruined the balance of COD4. COD4 is one of the best FPS games ever (in terms of mechanics) in my opinion. The hit detection was spot on, the guns were balanced (except for the 50 cal at lvl 50), etc. Battlefield, to the best of my recollection, was never that. The hit detection was always a little wonky, the guns were hit or miss, etc, but the maps were enormous, and the inclusion of vehicles really set it apart from any contemporary games.

For the first time in a long time (maybe since BF2, but to be honest, I don't remember BF2 that well) I feel like the gun play is spot on. If I see a guy, and put some rounds into him, he drops. End of story. In BC2, a guy just kind of soaks bullets in like a sponge (especially at any sort of range) and can live to run behind cover. Likewise, when you come across a group of three or so people, it is hard to bring them down even if you have the drop on them from behind. Not so in BF3. I was clearing out rooms of dudes with my LMG, and then my G3, and it never felt like anyone really had the time to turn a full 180 and get off shots (which wouldn't happen IRL if a dude with an LMG walked up behind someone).

Also...yeah...the inability to strafe in BC2 was driving me insane.

LEGGZZZZ

I just hope they improve the matchmaking on console. I love playing BC2, but since I work 2nd shift I usually play much later, and can only join near empty rooms. In COD4 to this day I can still find a full room any time of the day (I know, different games, but still).

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
The hate for COD really begins with Modern Warfare 2, and the introduction of killstreaks, perks, and other things that completely ruined the balance of COD4. COD4 is one of the best FPS games ever (in terms of mechanics) in my opinion. The hit detection was spot on, the guns were balanced (except for the 50 cal at lvl 50), etc. Battlefield, to the best of my recollection, was never that. The hit detection was always a little wonky, the guns were hit or miss, etc, but the maps were enormous, and the inclusion of vehicles really set it apart from any contemporary games.

For the first time in a long time (maybe since BF2, but to be honest, I don't remember BF2 that well) I feel like the gun play is spot on. If I see a guy, and put some rounds into him, he drops. End of story. In BC2, a guy just kind of soaks bullets in like a sponge (especially at any sort of range) and can live to run behind cover. Likewise, when you come across a group of three or so people, it is hard to bring them down even if you have the drop on them from behind. Not so in BF3. I was clearing out rooms of dudes with my LMG, and then my G3, and it never felt like anyone really had the time to turn a full 180 and get off shots (which wouldn't happen IRL if a dude with an LMG walked up behind someone).

Also...yeah...the inability to strafe in BC2 was driving me insane.
Health, as it is now, is optimal. It doesnt feel anywhere near as low as COD but not as high as BC2 or early Uncharted 2. It strikes a really good balance between the 2. Netcode is GREAT. Also, in BF3, in order to drop those 3/4 ppl that you got the drop on....you have to actually carefully pick your timing, have decent aim, and be able to control your recoil. I actually proved this by getting the drop on a whole squad and ended up not taking ANYONE of them out after emptying a whole clip and actually hitting each one of them a couple of times. I imagine that it's a lot different with an LMG at close range though ;).

I've never felt like I didnt have enough time to react unless someone really knew what they were doing. There were times where if I made the wrong move and somebody got the drop on me then I was killed pretty fast but only if the guy was able to to aim properly and control recoil. There were also a BUNCH of times where I was able to run to cover or drop into prone and kill a guy that had the drop on me from behind. It's definitely not a case of "if i see you 1st and start shooting 1st then I win, always" but it's definitely not uncharted 2's "i can run around like an idiot to get you to shoot at me and just roll/dodge into cover and flank you while still having at least half of my energy". Health is low but not too low where you cant get out of situations.

And yes, for the 1st time in a BF game it feels like you're actually pumping someone full of lead and doing damage to them. I told a friend: "It actually feels like you're shooting someone in this game". Sounds weird but when you play it, you should understand.

Disclaimer:
I can, and actually did, enjoy MW and MW2 but I can only enjoy it if I turn my brain off and accept it's shallow gameplay. If I dont take it seriously then I can enjoy it but there's always a point where I want to stop only playing for fun and start being competitive. I cant do that in MW. Also, I still hate MANY of the stupid decisions in that game and the super low health/low recoil/low spread/low everything.

Kyaw

For the alpha players, how was the rocket splash damage?

And how many shots did it take to disable and kill the LAV?

RS4-

Kyaw said:

RPG splash damage was pretty bad; I'd say it's on par or maybe worse than BC2. I just don't want anything like the gustav again.

Hard to say how many hits it took to disable the LAV as shots hit random places. I think it's two to the wheels to stop it from moving though.

I'm currently training my Mouse Aiming with Half Life 1 (as that is the only game I can get to run on my Laptop) to not embarass myself completely when playing the game at Gamescom. I'll try to get a good video (at least 10 minutes) from my playtime. If you have any requests (weapons, mapsize etc), just PM me.

Kyaw

Get your hands on the JETS, TANKS and CHOPPERS.

And unlocks for those vehicles too.
Oh and destruction ofc.

Kyaw said:

The rocket splash damage was awful, worse than BC2 at the start and it was ridiculously unbalanced in BC2 before they updated it.

I think it takes about 4 rockets to the front of the LAV to destroy it but it stops moving fast enough if you hit its wheels.

An it's hilarious that people think Operation Metro was a "more open map with many options" than BC2 or BC1 rush maps. Operation Metro would rank below average in comparison with BC rush maps and there were quite a few crappy maps out there.

Chokepoints were ridiculous and overall map design was subpar in Operation Metro, the only interesting and open enough set of crates was the 4th and last one (in Paris streets). And even then it suffered from camping problem for the defense spawn.

EDIT : Also I dont think the hit detection has been improved at all, it's just "harder" to detect thanks to the increased damage. It's easier to assume that every bullet hits when you only need 3-4 to kill someone. I felt that we had the same crazy hitboxes and inherent lag as in the previous games.

Frankly, I didn't notice any rocket abuse or crazy splash damage with it. I think I was killed by an RPG once, outside of the LAV that is.

mr_nothin

Banned
It_Hurts said:
i see this turned into the "sh1t on BC2" topic.
No, in fact I LOVED bc2 and I'm not a basher of bc2. I also thought the ppl that said they couldn't g back to bc2 after the alpha were crazy. That was until I tried to go back to it. Its not bashing bc2....as much as it's realizing how much better bf3 does everything.

I've also come to the conclusion that if you think metro wasn't more open than bc2 in terms of the dynamics and options of approaching the mcom then you had to either suck or kept getting really....REALLY sucky teams. It might have been the buggy squad spawning that didn't work half the time too.

Nabs

boris feinbrand said:
I'm currently training my Mouse Aiming with Half Life 1 (as that is the only game I can get to run on my Laptop) to not embarass myself completely when playing the game at Gamescom. I'll try to get a good video (at least 10 minutes) from my playtime. If you have any requests (weapons, mapsize etc), just PM me.

http://www.quakelive.com/ mkb bootcamp

Mr. Snrub said:
Frankly, I didn't notice any rocket abuse or crazy splash damage with it. I think I was killed by an RPG once, outside of the LAV that is.

Eh. I think the rocket is nerfed. I couldn't get the "shoot the ground, watch someone hiding behind the rocks die" kills in BF3. Might be just me. I did get killed by rockets that went by me i.e. it hit me and killed me, and kept on traveling to the intended target behind me.

shagg_187 said:
Eh. I think the rocket is nerfed. I couldn't get the "shoot the ground, watch someone hiding behind the rocks die" kills in BF3. Might be just me. I did get killed by rockets that went by me i.e. it hit me and killed me, and kept on traveling to the intended target behind me.
Same as my experience. I'm fact, once I got surprised with the RPG out in the tunnels by a guy coming round the corner and I shot the ground or wall between us. I got killed and got hit markers, but the other dude survived.

Arnie

Mr. Snrub said:
Same as my experience. I'm fact, once I got surprised with the RPG out in the tunnels by a guy coming round the corner and I shot the ground or wall between us. I got killed and got hit markers, but the other dude survived.
I third this too. Had much less of a problem with RPGs in the Alpha than I did in BC2.

GJS

BlindCommunication said:
EDIT : Also I dont think the hit detection has been improved at all, it's just "harder" to detect thanks to the increased damage. It's easier to assume that every bullet hits when you only need 3-4 to kill someone. I felt that we had the same crazy hitboxes and inherent lag as in the previous games.
It takes 3-4 bullets to kill someone in BF2, why is the damage constantly brought up?

As far as I'm aware the damage for most of the weapons has been pretty stable over the series, LMG's kill between 2-5 bullets, AR between 3-4 bullets, Snipers 2 etc, the SMG is the one weapon type that has constantly been changing, from 5-8 bullets to kill in BF2 down to 3-4 bullets in BC2 rivalling the AR's.

sp3000

I can't believe people think hit detection is improved just because they upped the damage.

I bet some of you would think the hit detection was awesome in BC2 if they made it so it took 1 bullet to kill someone.

mr_nothin said:
No, in fact I LOVED bc2 and I'm not a basher of bc2. I also thought the ppl that said they couldn't g back to bc2 after the alpha were crazy. That was until I tried to go back to it. Its not bashing bc2....as much as it's realizing how much better bf3 does everything.

I've also come to the conclusion that if you think metro wasn't more open than bc2 in terms of the dynamics and options of approaching the mcom then you had to either suck or kept getting really....REALLY sucky teams. It might have been the buggy squad spawning that didn't work half the time too.

I wasn't able to play the alpha but I went back to BC1 to compare against BC2.

And let me tell you, DICE's evolution of gameplay mechanics between those two games have me super excited to experience the refinements made to BF3.

The wait for the beta is killing me. :/

spicy cho

The only time I would kill players with the rpg is when people would bail from the LAV while I was shooting at it. Splash damage was pretty low. Taking out the LAV was VERY satisfying I must say, shit blows up real good.

Arnie

sp3000 said:
I can't believe people think hit detection is improved just because they upped the damage.

I bet some of you would think the hit detection was awesome in BC2 if they made it so it took 1 bullet to kill someone.
Nobody said that though, what a baseless assumption.

The hit detection was improved from BC2, in BC2 you'd sometimes be shooting a guy, he'd bleed but not take any damage, I didn't see any of that in BF3.

mr_nothin

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Me either, idk what that guy is talking about. Splash damage wasn't a problem at all as infantry. I think I died from a rocket once in 36 hrs of play. Rockets are really slow as of now.

mr_nothin

Banned
sp3000 said:

Lol, hardcore mode didn't make netcode or hit detection any better so your argument is moot.

Sethos

Banned
sp3000 said:

What the hell are you smoking. The hit detection has been improved, it has nothing to do with damage. I played HC in BC2 which was basically 1-2 shot kills and the hit detection was funnily enough atrocious at times.

LordCanti

I also saw very low splash damage with the RPG. It could be used as a weapon in the subway, but it was kind of useless against other people in the park. RPG'ers aren't going to have any particular advantage over people using guns, except for in very confined spaces (like the corridor leading to B in the ticket area).

The hit detection is clearly better. It's not a matter of how much damage is being done; It's a matter of "I aimed at that guy, fired, and it hit him". There were times in BC2 where I'd be standing right next to a guy, pointing right at him, and I wouldn't hit jack. That never happened in the BF3 alpha. Whether that is due to improved hit detection, or improved netcode, is anyone's guess, but my guess is a mixture of both.

i'm excited about BF3 and can't wait til it comes out, i wanna know if there gonna be something similar to CoD hardcore mode? i get annoyed having to unload a full clip to kill someone ...=/

woober

i3allistic said:
i'm excited about BF3 and can't wait til it comes out, i wanna know if there gonna be something similar to CoD hardcore mode? i get annoyed having to unload a full clip to kill someone ...=/

You don't have to unload a full clip into someone in BF3 Alpha. The DPS on guns are marginally higher now.

Sethos

Banned
i3allistic said:

First off, the damage has been significantly improved. I, as a long-time Hardcore player in pretty much every game will be playing the vanilla settings if they keep it like this.

On the other hand, I'm sure there will be a Hardcore mode. Just like in BC2 and pretty much every other FPS game that has broad appeal.

mr_nothin

Banned
Sethos said:
What the hell are you smoking. The hit detection has been improved, it has nothing to do with damage. I played HC in BC2 which was basically 1-2 shot kills and the hit detection was funnily enough atrocious at times.
Yea I'm not sure what game some ppl in here have played. Hit detection is in no way comparable to bc2.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BF3 Co-op, Conquest Modes to be Revealed at Gamescom 2011

According to GamersBook, EA brand manager Kevin O’Leary (who we saw a lot of at E3, the Summer Showcase and other high-profile events) has revealed that we will be learning more about BF3′s cooperative multiplayer mode, although it is not clear whether or not we will actually get treated to ingame footage or simply learn some new details about how co-op works.

Additionally, DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson tweeted recently about playing BF3 Conquest mode as the team prepares BF3 for being shown Gamescom 2011. This seems like a very strong indicator that we can hopefully expect to finally see some Conquest mode gameplay, although of course this is still unconfirmed.

km-gamescom.png

When someone asked him about whether or not jets were included in the Conquest map for Gamescom, Troedsson responded with a simple and crafty “:)”, so hopefully this means we will finally get to see jets in action later this month. When we hear any more word on what to expect from Gamescom 2011, we’ll let you know, and of course we will be covering all of Gamescom as we did with E3, Dreamhack and other important BF3 events.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually had cometely forgotten about the co-op mode until I just read that article. Looks like there's going to be a pretty big BF3 blowout at Gamescom.

Kyaw

All over my face @ Lord Canti

Co-op would be nice to see too. Dunno why they can't just make it 4 player coop with different kits.

Top Bottom