• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Alpha Test Invites Going Out [Psyduck And Conquest At GamesCom]

Battleblog 5: Years worth of unlocks in BF3

Battlefield 3 will be the deepest shooter in DICE history. Read on for the full story on how we will reward skill and dedication, and how our flexible unlock and customization system allows you to tailor the game for your personal play style.

“Battlefield players are among the most loyal out there. Our games are literally played for years by our hardcore fans, and we want to actively support that. There should always be something left to achieve in Battlefield 3.”

Valerian Noghin and Fredrik Thylander are Persistence Designers on Battlefield 3. They’re the guys making sure you will have as much fun with the game in 2013 as on launch day.

Back in 2005, Battlefield 2 was one of the first shooters to introduce a deep persistence system to add that extra layer of tasty rewards and unlocks to keep players returning to the battlefield for hundreds of hours. With Battlefield 3, we are pulling all the stops. Compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 will have more than 10 times the hardware unlocks spread over weapons, weapons attachments, gadgets, and a huge unlock tree for vehicles alone.

Skill and dedication equal rewards
On top of these ingame hardware items, players will also be richly rewarded with medals, ribbons and service stars displaying their skill, commitment, and teamplay prowess. You will be rewarded handsomely in Battlefield 3 for exemplary skill, such as capturing X amount of bases in one round. Excellent teamplayers who keep the team’s vehicles in mint condition and revive fallen comrades will not go unnoticed either. These type of skill-driven rewards are typically handed out in the form of ribbons, and good players can often get more than one ribbon in a single round.

Winning a round for the team should always be the priority, so we are making sure that even when players are chasing their personal achievements, they are contributing to the overall battle. You will also be rewarded for true dedication and commitment, such as playing x amount of hours as a U.S. soldier. These honors come in the form of the much harder to get medals. They are typically given at specific milestones in your career.

There are a large number of ranks in Battlefield 3, similar to Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Your rank badge is a quick measure of your overall progress in the game. And even if you hit the max rank, there is always more glory to strive for with the new concept of Service Stars that we are introducing in Battlefield 3.

Service Stars challenge the hardcore
Even getting your first Service Star would be a major achievement. But keep playing, and you will be eligible for even further promotion by getting Service Stars added to your weapon skill badge, your vehicle, your kit, and your overall rank. Anytime your kill card is displayed, everyone will see exactly how experienced you are with your current equipment. The ultimate bragging right would be for a player to be awarded the rank of Colonel with 100 Service Stars attached, and to have 100 stars in all weapons, kits, and vehicles. Getting there will be a massive task – consider that a challenge! :)

The design philosophy behind the unlocks in Battlefield 3 is pretty sweet. We basically give you more hardware to play with for doing what you love to do. Case in point: Using gun X will give you more upgrades specifically for that gun. Playing with a kit and vehicle earns more upgrades for that kit and that vehicle. In addition, all XP gained also goes towards your overall rank, which in turn unlocks new weapons, specializations, and camouflages usable by any class.

Play Battlefield 3 your way
The mantra we keep coming back to when designing Battlefield 3 is “play it your way”. What that means is there’s an unprecedented flexibility in how you tailor your kits. The playable classes are not rigidly defined in what they are supposed to play like. While all four classes in Battlefield 3 (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon) start out with everything they need to be an efficient soldier in the field, it is totally up to you and your personal preferences how you want to tailor them.

Take the Assault class, for example. As you may know by now, this is now the class that has the ability to equip both a defibrillator and medkit for frontline medic abilities. But if you would prefer to switch your add-ons to, say, an underslung grenade launcher with 40mm grenades, go ahead! That will give you an Assault soldier with a more offensive set of capabilities than the player who opts for the default medic approach.

Tactical unlocks force you to choose the right loadout for you
That’s the way all of the unlocks and upgrades work. They are specifically designed to be tactical in nature, forcing you to choose loadout based on the map and situation. Do you go for the heavy barrel for your assault rifle? It gives added accuracy for single shots, but at the cost of stronger recoil in burst fire/full auto mode. A standard assault rifle can be modified into a long range accurate weapon or for close quarter, almost SMG-like, combat. For jets, do you go with Maverick ATG missiles to take out tanks or AA missiles to dogfight airborne threats? With your Engineer, do you bring your anti-tank or your anti-air RPG launcher?

In short, we think there has never been a better time to be a Battlefield gamer, no matter your play style.

HYPE HYPE
please be balanced

FinKL

zh1nt0 said:
People have been assigned to give you some good coverage of what´s going on
Sethos said:
dIA7e.jpg
He needs to be an easter egg. Like in single player you find a TV or computer with a "LIVE BREAKING NEWS" report scene and it cuts to him as a news reporter in a firefight just being awkward. The scene pans to him while he talks about his love of DINOSAURS and how they are now extinct.

Lord-Audie said:
How do i claim this free game? I was on the Alpha :(

Hmmm, did someone give you an Alpha code or were you emailed one? I was given one but also emailed a code later, and I got an email for the free game.

Preordered on Origin. EA is really pushing it with the free game.

I PM'ed Nirolak and got an okay for a general BF3 Info/New thread, as long as big pieces of news get separated into their own thread. Anyone itching to do this? If not, I'll piece one together.

Mr. Snrub said:

I PM'ed Nirolak and got an okay for a general BF3 Info/New thread, as long as big pieces of news get separated into their own thread. Anyone itching to do this? If not, I'll piece one together.

you can do it

Keasar

Velion

Mr. Snrub said:

Yeah I just cancelled my preorder to preorder it again with free game this time.

Kyaw

Mr. Snrub said:

Do it bro.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
zlatko said:
Can someone take one for the team, and confirm this? I'm curious if this still applies since you technically get Medal of Honor/DS2/ME2, and thus they may charge you right away since you are getting a product.

I preordered BF3 from Origin just a few hours ago with Dead Space 2 as the freebie and they billed me the 59.99 right away, its already shown up in my bank. Just a heads up if anyone was still curious.

Edit - Missed the post about the pre-authorization charge... so this may drop off. As of right now it hasn't. I'll let you know if it does.

I might have missed the discussion on it, but apparently it's "confirmed" (I have no idea where) that engineers will get anti-air launchers, and that jets have to chose either air-to-air missiles or air to ground missiles/bombs.

It's possible I'm being trolled, though.

Kyaw

HotHamWater said:
I might have missed the discussion on it, but apparently it's "confirmed" (I have no idea where) that engineers will get anti-air launchers, and that jets have to chose either air-to-air missiles or air to ground missiles/bombs.

Correct.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HotHamWater said:

Bombs were never mentioned.

zlatko

Banned
Mattdaddy said:
I preordered BF3 from Origin just a few hours ago with Dead Space 2 as the freebie and they billed me the 59.99 right away, its already shown up in my bank. Just a heads up if anyone was still curious.

Edit - Missed the post about the pre-authorization charge... so this may drop off. As of right now it hasn't. I'll let you know if it does.

Yeah I meant to update, because I know I don't have that much on my card right now, tried to pre-order and it wouldn't accept the card, so they DEFINITELY charge you right away. I don't think it's the pre auth charge either, because the EA rep told me that is supposed to be only $5.00. He must have been unaware of EA's own policies... kinda upset he told me lies.

Whatever, will pre order later from Amazon like I had planned.

Can't wait for Conquest unveiling!!! That's what Battlefield has always been about and after the somewhat disappointing Rush alpha, I hope DICE will actually deliver on their promises now.

Hopefully we get firm beta details form Gamescom as well.

I have 4 weeks of vacation time left and will probably burn some time to put the beta through its paces. *drool*

Izayoi

Banned
The free game thing won't apply for me, for some reason. Even when I use the link it wants to charge me $30 for Dead Space 2 when I check out. Hm...

Izayoi said:
The free game thing won't apply for me, for some reason. Even when I use the link it wants to charge me $30 for Dead Space 2 when I check out. Hm...

Odd, I'm going to try tonight and see if it works for me.

mr_nothin

Banned
momolicious said:
Is there any downside to preordering it on Origin as opposed to buying it retail?
You have to use origin to play the game (there's still a slim chance that retail might force you to also) and you also have to use battlelog. Hopefully the streamline battlelog into origin or at least allow it to be accessed via the in-game origin web browser. You also have to download the game. But there's a whole month+ before the game comes out so plenty of time to pre-load.

Nekrono

momolicious said:
Is there any downside to preordering it on Origin as opposed to buying it retail?
Off the top of my head... Origin only offers you 1 year of download service, after that good luck getting the game.

Also what Izayoi said.

Top Bottom