• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Battleblog #5: Persisting Persistance

Spl1nter

Enough new information released about the persistance system for its own thread.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/05/bb.aspx

Blog post
Battlefield 3 will be the deepest shooter in DICE history. Read on for the full story on how we will reward skill and dedication, and how our flexible unlock and customization system allows you to tailor the game for your personal play style.

“Battlefield players are among the most loyal out there. Our games are literally played for years by our hardcore fans, and we want to actively support that. There should always be something left to achieve in Battlefield 3.”

Valerian Noghin and Fredrik Thylander are Persistence Designers on Battlefield 3. They’re the guys making sure you will have as much fun with the game in 2013 as on launch day.

Back in 2005, Battlefield 2 was one of the first shooters to introduce a deep persistence system to add that extra layer of tasty rewards and unlocks to keep players returning to the battlefield for hundreds of hours. With Battlefield 3, we are pulling all the stops. Compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 will have more than 10 times the hardware unlocks spread over weapons, weapons attachments, gadgets, and a huge unlock tree for vehicles alone.

Skill and dedication equal rewards
On top of these ingame hardware items, players will also be richly rewarded with medals, ribbons and service stars displaying their skill, commitment, and teamplay prowess. You will be rewarded handsomely in Battlefield 3 for exemplary skill, such as capturing X amount of bases in one round. Excellent teamplayers who keep the team’s vehicles in mint condition and revive fallen comrades will not go unnoticed either. These type of skill-driven rewards are typically handed out in the form of ribbons, and good players can often get more than one ribbon in a single round.

Winning a round for the team should always be the priority, so we are making sure that even when players are chasing their personal achievements, they are contributing to the overall battle. You will also be rewarded for true dedication and commitment, such as playing x amount of hours as a U.S. soldier. These honors come in the form of the much harder to get medals. They are typically given at specific milestones in your career.

There are a large number of ranks in Battlefield 3, similar to Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Your rank badge is a quick measure of your overall progress in the game. And even if you hit the max rank, there is always more glory to strive for with the new concept of Service Stars that we are introducing in Battlefield 3.

Service Stars challenge the hardcore
Even getting your first Service Star would be a major achievement. But keep playing, and you will be eligible for even further promotion by getting Service Stars added to your weapon skill badge, your vehicle, your kit, and your overall rank. Anytime your kill card is displayed, everyone will see exactly how experienced you are with your current equipment. The ultimate bragging right would be for a player to be awarded the rank of Colonel with 100 Service Stars attached, and to have 100 stars in all weapons, kits, and vehicles. Getting there will be a massive task – consider that a challenge! :)

The design philosophy behind the unlocks in Battlefield 3 is pretty sweet. We basically give you more hardware to play with for doing what you love to do. Case in point: Using gun X will give you more upgrades specifically for that gun. Playing with a kit and vehicle earns more upgrades for that kit and that vehicle. In addition, all XP gained also goes towards your overall rank, which in turn unlocks new weapons, specializations, and camouflages usable by any class.

Play Battlefield 3 your way
The mantra we keep coming back to when designing Battlefield 3 is “play it your way”. What that means is there’s an unprecedented flexibility in how you tailor your kits. The playable classes are not rigidly defined in what they are supposed to play like. While all four classes in Battlefield 3 (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon) start out with everything they need to be an efficient soldier in the field, it is totally up to you and your personal preferences how you want to tailor them.

Take the Assault class, for example. As you may know by now, this is now the class that has the ability to equip both a defibrillator and medkit for frontline medic abilities. But if you would prefer to switch your add-ons to, say, an underslung grenade launcher with 40mm grenades, go ahead! That will give you an Assault soldier with a more offensive set of capabilities than the player who opts for the default medic approach.

Tactical unlocks force you to choose the right loadout for you
That’s the way all of the unlocks and upgrades work. They are specifically designed to be tactical in nature, forcing you to choose loadout based on the map and situation. Do you go for the heavy barrel for your assault rifle? It gives added accuracy for single shots, but at the cost of stronger recoil in burst fire/full auto mode. A standard assault rifle can be modified into a long range accurate weapon or for close quarter, almost SMG-like, combat. For jets, do you go with Maverick ATG missiles to take out tanks or AA missiles to dogfight airborne threats? With your Engineer, do you bring your anti-tank or your anti-air RPG launcher?

In short, we think there has never been a better time to be a Battlefield gamer, no matter your play style.

Also announced earlier in the week:

We are very happy to announce the upcoming novel Battlefield 3: The Russian. Set to coincide with the Battlefield 3 launch on October 25, this novel is written by former SAS operator and Battlefield 3 consultant Andy McNab (co-authored with Peter Grimsdale).

BF3_2D00_Ribbons_2D00_2.png

BF3_2D00_Medals_2D00_4.png

FunBoy

Looking forward to seeing what other weapons etc will be in the final game!

Some kind of xzxibit meme could be placed here about leveling up while you level here....

Arnie

Service stars sound extremely familiar to the system we already have in Bad Company 2, what with Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum stars for each individual weapon.

Still, the whole package sounds great.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Haha, a BF3 novel.

Also weapon specific unlocks suck when you're starting out, prettying annoying to have a scope on Russian but not when you play US.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So are they saying when you get killed, you won't just see your killer's tags, but his service record/metals/badges?

Back in 2005, Battlefield 2 was one of the first shooters to introduce a deep persistence system to add that extra layer of tasty rewards and unlocks to keep players returning to the battlefield for hundreds of hours. With Battlefield 3, we are pulling all the stops. Compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 will have more than 10 times the hardware unlocks spread over weapons, weapons attachments, gadgets, and a huge unlock tree for vehicles alone.
I'm out. Fuck this.

Remember when people use to play video games just for fun, and not to grind away for hundreds of hours for a new gun camouflage?

Spl1nter said:
Please dont troll and try to derail the thread. We have a thread for that:

Garbage Thread
Didn't mean it as a troll really, I'm just wondering which part of this is new? The stars sound like a system to match prestige, and using a weapon to unlock weapon specific gadgets is something, well, let's just say I've done it before. Same with fine tuning loadouts.

I'm a fan of most of this stuff, but I don't see anything new here.

Winning a round for the team should always be the priority, so we are making sure that even when players are chasing their personal achievements, they are contributing to the overall battle.
And I'd really like to know how they expect to accomplish this.

Neuromancer said:
I'm out. Fuck this.

Remember when people use to play video games just for fun, and not to grind away for hundreds of hours for a new gun camouflage?

You can't have fun without new gun camouflage?

I'm not trying to troll but the unlock system (use x gun to unlock more stuff for x gun) is what was used in Modern Warfare 2 and I like that a lot more than credits (BLOPS) and predetermined unlocks (BC2). Makes me use all the weapons, which is awesome.

Neuromancer said:
I'm out. Fuck this.

You realize you can still do this, right? Especially because in your example, gun camo has no effect on the gameplay.

Grinding for unlocks that make the game imbalanced in BS. Camo...who gives a shit? Just a nice little reward for playing for a long time.

NullPointer said:
Didn't mean it as a troll really, I'm just wondering which part of this is new? The stars sound like a system to match prestige, and using a weapon to unlock weapon specific gadgets is something, well, I've done it before. Same with fine tuning loadouts.

I'm a fan of most of this stuff, but I don't see anything new here.

Isn't the entire blog post about how these features are new to Battlefield/BF3, not the shooter genre?

Man, and people bitch about DICE/EA comparing BF3 to COD.

Anti Air Rocket Launchers for Engineers? So they actually bothered to balance air based vehicles this time. Maybe they even have limited ammo.

Hey a man can dream right?

Mr. Snrub said:
You realize you can still do this, right? Especially because in your example, gun camo has no effect on the gameplay.

Grinding for unlocks that make the game imbalanced in BS. Camo...who gives a shit? Just a nice little reward for playing for a long time.
That was just one example, of course guns and perks and all that are the major appeal. I find the trend of forcing your players to grind for hundreds of hours to unlock that stuff to be really onerous but I realize I'm in the vast minority. Some people just can't play a game anymore unless there's always a carrot dangling in front of them.

boris feinbrand said:
Anti Air Rocket Launchers for Engineers? So they actually bothered to balance air based vehicles this time. Maybe they even have limited ammo.

Hey a man can dream right?

I wonder if the inclusion on AA rockets means the tracer dart is gone? I still have hopes for a laser target designator.

Neuromancer said:
I almost quit playing Bad Company 2 because of how long it took a medic class to unlock the ability to heal teammates. Sometimes unlocks are taken way too far.

Mr. Snrub said:
Isn't the entire blog post about how these features are new to Battlefield/BF3, not the shooter genre?

Man, and people bitch about DICE/EA comparing BF3 to COD.
Well there are some glaring similarities, especially whats presented in this blog. Both series' have borrowed bits from the other so I'm not getting on DICE's case here. But I'll take the advice and back slowly out of this thread...

NullPointer said:
I almost quit playing Bad Company 2 because of how long it took a medic class to unlock the ability to heal teammates. Sometimes unlocks are taken way too far.

They screwed the pooch in a few ways with BC2's unlocks and from the DICE teams twitter accounts, they seem to have learned their lesson. You at least get the Defibs from the onset now, it seems.

Anything that imbalances the game dramatically shouldn't be an unlock, or at the very least should not take a long time to unlock. Everything should have a strength and a weakness.

Nekrono

For jets, do you go with Maverick ATG missiles to take out tanks or AA missiles to dogfight airborne threats?

Man for some reason I got goosebumps when I read that. Can't wait!

I hope DICE delivers.

NullPointer said:
And I'd really like to know how they expect to accomplish this.

They won't. Unless they diminish points gained by kills, this will never happen.

Mr. Snrub said:
I wonder if the inclusion on AA rockets means the tracer dart is gone? I still have hopes for a laser target designator.

Laser designator or at least a Stinger Missile. Aircrafts can counter with flares or good/crazy piloting.

In BC2 even a semi decent pilot could rape a whole team once the AA guns were destroyed, and even if not, the AA guns where laughably weak in BC2.

Dibbz

Spl1nter said:
Play Battlefield 3 your way
The mantra we keep coming back to when designing Battlefield 3 is “play it your way”. What that means is there’s an unprecedented flexibility in how you tailor your kits. The playable classes are not rigidly defined in what they are supposed to play like. While all four classes in Battlefield 3 (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon) start out with everything they need to be an efficient soldier in the field, it is totally up to you and your personal preferences how you want to tailor them.

Take the Assault class, for example. As you may know by now, this is now the class that has the ability to equip both a defibrillator and medkit for frontline medic abilities. But if you would prefer to switch your add-ons to, say, an underslung grenade launcher with 40mm grenades, go ahead! That will give you an Assault soldier with a more offensive set of capabilities than the player who opts for the default medic approach.

I'm sorry but that sounds so fucking stupid. Great now there is no medic class and the guys that have a defrib don't even have to have it equipped. Holy shit that is the dumbest thing I've heard. That like saying oh the medic class in TF2 can swap his healing gun out for a rocket launcher. It makes no fucking sense. Of course people are going to swap it out for a rocket because they'd get fucking kills with it unless they are team players which majority of pub players are not.

Don't even get me started on their "rank" system. Jesus. Atleast they have the balls to say it's only there to show you your progress but fuck.

Dibbz said:
I'm sorry but that sounds so fucking stupid. Great now there is no medic class and the guys that have a defrib don't even have to have it equipped. Holy shit that is the dumbest thing I've heard. That like saying oh the medic class in TF2 can swap his healing gun out for a rocket launcher. It makes no fucking sense. Of course people are going to swap it out for a rocket because they'd get fucking kills with it unless they are team players which majority of pub players are not.

Don't even get me started on their "rank" system. Jesus. Atleast they have the balls to say it's only there to show you your progress but fuck.

It seemed to work in BF2142, which had a similar system. Never played it, maybe Spl1nter can chime in.

And if the alpha is anything to go by, the Defib occupies one equipment slot, and the Medkit occupies the slot that can be changed to a grenade launcher. So you can either have the medkit or grenade launcher, but will always (again, just judging by the alpha) have the defib.

Dibbz said:

If this is like any other BF game, (and the alpha told me it was) then being a medic is a point magnet. Lots of people will have it don't worry.

DTKT

Dibbz said:

You might be exaggerating a little bit here.

That they give you the option doesn't mean that everyone will do it.

Spl1nter

Dibbz said:
I'm sorry but that sounds so fucking stupid. Great now there is no medic class and the guys that have a defrib don't even have to have it equipped. Holy shit that is the dumbest thing I've heard.

You should improve your reading comprehension. First, its an option, its not forced upon you. Second, the defib will always be equipped for the assualt class; its a switch between the GL/Med Kit and whatever other gadgets will be available. What this does is it creates a class that can be the same as themedic or assault in BF2 or an inbetween based on a users choice.

Dibbz said:
That like saying oh the medic class in TF2 can swap his healing gun out for a rocket launcher. It makes no fucking sense. Of course people are going to swap it out for a rocket because they'd get fucking kills with it unless they are team players which majority of pub players are not.

No that is just a horrible analogy. The medkit benifits both teammates and the individual by increasing the rate of heal.

spicy cho

Dibbz said:

More healing points for me. But from what I played, few people opted for the noob tube. The medpack is far more useful even for lone wolves as they can drop one beside them in a firefight which will gradually heal them as they take fire.

Kyaw

Those medals/badges look great btw.

Gamescom/release date can't come soon enough.

THE JETS/CHOPPERS WILL BE MINE!

[Nintex]

Why a novel?

The story in Battlefield Bad Company 2 was stupid and forgettable, I don't know anyone who plays Battlefield games because of the story.

[Nintex] said:
Why a novel?

The story in Battlefield Bad Company 2 was stupid and forgettable, I don't know anyone who plays Battlefield games because of the story.

I've never been a fan of game novels, but Andy McNab is writing it. He's ex-SAS, has been their military consultant for BF3, and has written a ton of novels. I think he helped consult for Heat, too. Should be entertaining, at least.

Dibbz

OK I didn't realize it meant you could switch either the medikit or the defrib for the grenade launcher.

Enosh

I don't think I ever played a BF game up to the final rank...

they kinda always put the points waaaay out there

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
boris feinbrand said:
...the AA guns where laughably weak in BC2.

No, not really. All the AA options will drop a bird very fast. VADS is just mean.

Once the AA is down though... there isn't much one can do to counter a tight and fast circle-strafer. Ignoring them is often best, and then just try to be right on point when the AA is back up. Have an engineer there to repair the gun as you try and get the bird down.

One of the biggest problems is how fast the helicopters respawn... so even if your team does take out a good chopper pilot, he'll be right back.

BF3 is going to be interesting. I;m very curious to see how DICE approaches air combat. And if they've learned anything from BC2.

Evolved1 said:
One of the biggest problems is how fast the helicopters respawn... so even if your team does take out a good chopper pilot, he'll be right back.

Yea you would think such a powerful team asset like a chopper would take longer to respawn but its literally like 10 seconds.

mr_nothin

Banned
Evolved1 said:
No, not really. All the AA options will drop a bird very fast. VADS is just mean.

Once the AA is down though... there isn't much one can do to counter a tight and fast circle-strafer. Ignoring them is often best, and then just try to be right on point when the AA is back up. Have an engineer there to repair the gun as you try and get the bird down.

BF3 is going to be interesting. I;m very curious to see how DICE approaches air combat. And if they've learned anything from BC2.
Well 1st off, Engineers have AA launchers now.

Also, You'll still have defib if you swap out the medikit for a grenade launcher.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
mr_nothin said:
Well it says it in the article above ;)

I know, I read that... but I was looking for something specific. Wanted to look up some videos, to guess how it might work in the game. (I don't know much about AA launchers used my infantry)

Yeah, I love manning the AA in BC2. Very satisfying and easy to take down choppers once you learn how to lead.

Smart teams use the UAV to take out VADS, then move in with the choppers.

Top Bottom