• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Battleblog #5: Persisting Persistance

NullPointer said:
Didn't mean it as a troll really, I'm just wondering which part of this is new? The stars sound like a system to match prestige, and using a weapon to unlock weapon specific gadgets is something, well, let's just say I've done it before. Same with fine tuning loadouts.

I'm a fan of most of this stuff, but I don't see anything new here.

And I'd really like to know how they expect to accomplish this.

I think people thought you were trolling because BF2 and 2142 did unlocks like this years before CoD4.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, I love manning the AA in BC2. Very satisfying and easy to take down choppers once you learn how to lead.

Smart teams use the UAV to take out VADS, then move in with the choppers.

I hate UAV pilots who don't make the AA their first priority. They should be kicked in the nuts. If the chopper goes down they should lose those points lol,

Sai-kun

Banned
While all four classes in Battlefield 3 (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon) start out with everything they need to be an efficient soldier in the field,

thank fucking god for this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anti-air Rocket Launchers for Jets and Helicopters.

HOT DAMN, DICE LISTENED TO MY BITCHING. *tears of joy*

TheSeks

vidal said:
What if the AA RPGs are garbage though?

Then I will bitch some more until those level 50 fucktards that leave after the round is over because all they want to do is fly around in circles and boost their KDR are able to be consistently killed with it until they learn to GET SOME GODDAMN SKILLS AND HELP THE FUCKING TEAM.

I have been so goddamn tired of circling helicopters of doom for months now in BC2. If BF3 has anti-air options that are fucking USEFUL AND PLENTY, then maybe for once the air vehicles will be balanced and not so goddamn annoying to play against.

mr_nothin

Banned
vidal said:
What if the AA RPGs are garbage though?
Of course they can be countered with chaffs.
Also, for the 1st time since BF2...I am thinking about buying a joystick just for flying jets/helicopters.

Evolved1

Just make it so choppers lose altitude if you try and circle strafe too much... BAM... choppers balanced. DICE you can cut the check to Evolved1 for helping you with this. Oh wait I forgot, you guys forgot about BC2.

As for jets... can't comment yet. Have to wait and see.

TheSeks

Kyaw said:
Meet my flares.

MWAHAHAHA

SMH. I hope DICE has implemented a one-time use per vehicle for that shit. Otherwise it's the same as tracer.

However, it's a step in the right direction. I'm not saying LOL AIR VEHICLES SHOULD BE NERFED TO HELL, but it shouldn't be like BC2 where all someone has to do is FLARE FLARE FLARE for every ten minute lucky tracer shot and circle around while taking out the ONE ANTI AIR option in a base to proceed to rape players for points.

If I'm able to yell out "THEY HAVE ANTI-AIR OPTIONS ON THE HELICOPTER/JET. I NEED BACK UP," then great. But knowing John Q. CallofDooty, they won't help me out on that. :|

Evolved1 said:
Just make it so choppers lose altitude if you try and circle strafe too much... BAM... choppers balanced.

And lower the respawn rate. Focus should be on GROUND AND GROUND VEHICLE combat. You done fucked up when players have to focus on air vehicles for a whole round because they respawn every two minutes and if they don't they've pretty much done lost the round.

Kyaw

If they add limited ammo for all the vehicles it will be perfect. (unlimited for .50 cal or other bullet based mounted guns)

TheSeks

Kyaw said:
If they add limited ammo for all the vehicles it will be perfect. (unlimited for .50 cal or other bullet based mounted guns)

I dunno. Limiting the rockets for helicopters would prevent abuse on infantry but also limit the helicopters use for surprise rockets in the ass of the tanks.

It's a delicate balance when you start adding a third demension to FPS. But I do dearly hope DICE has listened to my endless bitching about not having fun having to counter helicopters for a whole round or stick in collapsed buildings and hope the rocket/volley bleed doesn't get me while I hide and take out infantry not being fun to at least tweak them to where they aren't annoying and more in line with the triangle of balance.

Because as it is:

Code:
Helicopter

Tank                                        Infantry

(Connect the lines yourself)

In terms of current BC2/BF air-balance.

Code tag doesn't like long spaces and ASCII art, and removing code doesn't let my ASCII art work. SMH

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr. Snrub said:
Never got the hang of them in BF2. It was always, "Rockets away! Oh, he chaffed. Now he's turning aroun-"

*DEAD*
Jets only had to respect other equally skilled pilots and the sea whiz in BF2. If those things didn't exist then the jet was hilariously OP.

Hopefully DICE gets the air balance right this time, or people are not going to want jet maps in the rotation. Vehicle perks make me nervous as well.

Spl1nter

SapientWolf said:
Jets only had to respect other equally skilled pilots and the sea whiz in BF2. If those things didn't exist then the jet was hilariously OP.

and fun, so much fun; unless of course you were in a f-35 on wake island going up against j-10s.

spicy cho

mr_nothin said:
Of course they can be countered with chaffs.
Also, for the 1st time since BF2...I am thinking about buying a joystick just for flying jets/helicopters.
Someone made a thread about the thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS. I bought it and it's pretty great, only $30 too.

Evolved1

Limited ammo for vehicles would be cool if engineers could resupply them. :)

Kyaw

TheSeks said:
I dunno. Limiting the rockets for helicopters would prevent abuse on infantry but also limit the helicopters use for surprise rockets in the ass of the tanks.

You should still be able to surprise buttsex the tanks.

Limited ammo just makes you more aware and conservative in prioritising and killing targets instead of circle strafing and dropping flares every damn time.

Refill ammo at base or captured flags should be acceptable. Or engineers.

Evolved1

Kyaw said:
You should still be able to surprise buttsex the tanks.

Limited ammo just makes you more aware and conservative in prioritising and killing targets instead of circle strafing and dropping flares every damn time.

Refill ammo at base or captured flags should be acceptable. Or engineers.

And an "additional ammo" vehicle perk would bait people away from V-warhead, armor, or flares.

It's a neat idea.

Kyaw

I think flares should be a stock thing. Just limit it to like 3 times.

With additional ammo perk, you can get 5 flares or something.

ITT: GAF balances/design a game

Evolved1

Kyaw said:
I think flares should be a stock thing. Just limit it to like 3 times.

With additional ammo perk, you can get 5 flares or something.

Well... if you look at helicopters in BC2 (console) could it be any worse? They are OP, impervious to small arms fire, they can maneuver in a way not even remotely possible in actual helicopters, they respawn waaaaay to quickly, and there aren't many counters other than the AA that can easily be taken out by tanks, UAV, Engineer RPGs, Mortars, ect...

This is like... retarded. How could it be worse? (Thinks of console version of the Huey... uhm... well ok.)

I say, let us take a shot at it. Not like we could possibly fuck it up.

Arnie

Dibbz said:
OK I didn't realize it meant you could switch either the medikit or the defrib for the grenade launcher.
From my experience in the Beta it's only the health pack that can be swapped for the Grenade Launcher, the defib seemed like a staple part of the Assault's infantry. As others have said it's extremely reminiscent of 2142 and that game didn't suffer from the problems you're talking about.

People will always pick Medic and especially defibrillators because they're easy points.

Arnie said:
From my experience in the Beta it's only the health pack that can be swapped for the Grenade Launcher, the defib seemed like a staple part of the Assault's infantry. As others have said it's extremely reminiscent of 2142 and that game didn't suffer from the problems you're talking about.

People will always pick Medic and especially defibrillators because they're easy points.

Yeah. Once everyone in the Alpha settled down from "OMG ALPHA" syndrome, lots of medics throwing down packs. Not many revives, but when I played consistently as medic, I was usually topping the scoreboard.

Which I am perfectly okay with.

Nizz

God, I can't wait to play the beta. I hope it's early-mid September (at least for MoH owners).

Javaman

God-damned unlocks. :eek:( I hated the idea with BF2 and hate it more and more each new revision. Good luck getting people to balance teams when there is a blow out. No one will want to lose their precious bonus points for stomping the enemy team. The further this game gets from BF1942 the less I like it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah. Once everyone in the Alpha settled down from "OMG ALPHA" syndrome, lots of medics throwing down packs. Not many revives, but when I played consistently as medic, I was usually topping the scoreboard.

Which I am perfectly okay with.
Not specifically directed at you but your post made me think of it.

What a lot of people didnt tend to understand about medics not reviving people as much was the fact that it's a huge risk now with lowered health and the reviving being a little "difficult" to do in the alpha. Hell if im going to run and revive someone that died in a doorway with 2+ guys waiting for some idiot to try to revive the dead guy. I had to think about whether or not I really wanted to risk reviving someone, a lot more.

I would take the extra risk for squad members though, as they provided more spawn points for me :)

TheSeks

Kyaw said:

Well, they already took out one of my bitching points (Magnum Ammo) and are tweaking/balancing the other. So I can't complain too strongly now.

Javaman said:
The further this game gets from BF1942 the less I like it.

ITT: Someone with lack of skill to not be able to kill with the default guns. All the default guns in BC2 were fine, with the exception of the AEK's fucked up iron sights.

You do have a point with blowouts, but that's gonna happen no matter the game.

mr_nothin

Banned
TheSeks said:
Well, they already took out one of my bitching points (Magnum Ammo) and are tweaking/balancing the other. So I can't complain too strongly now.
Now I'm just hoping they dont have any kind of armor except for vehicles maybe.

Makoto

Javaman said:
The further this game gets from BF1942 the less I like it.
Pretty much. Digital Illusions is going all out on the carrot-on-the-stick leveling. The game just needs to have everything available from the start and remove the perks.

mr_nothin said:
Not specifically directed at you but your post made me think of it.

What a lot of people didnt tend to understand about medics not reviving people as much was the fact that it's a huge risk now with lowered health and the reviving being a little "difficult" to do in the alpha. Hell if im going to run and revive someone that died in a doorway with 2+ guys waiting for some idiot to try to revive the dead guy. I had to think about whether or not I really wanted to risk reviving someone, a lot more.

I would take the extra risk for squad members though, as they provided more spawn points for me :)

This is true, and I didn't mean to imply I didn't get revived at all. But yeah, there were plenty of times where I had two dead buddies around the corner and I just left them, haha. No sense in letting them die themselves.

Though I did have a few "Last Stand" moments where someone revived me right next to my killer and I took them out with my pistol. Doesn't feel as cheap as Last Stand, though.

Best strategy I found with chokepoints was to toss a grenade in the direction of the enemy, wait till it explodes and puffs up some smoke, then revive.

Now I'm just hoping they dont have any kind of armor except for vehicles maybe.

I actually think Demize said they will have armor enhancements? He commented and explained his reasoning behind removing Magnum Ammo but keeping Body Armor.

Evolved1

It's nice you don't have to worry about reviving people who don't want to be... since they can opt out. That's a nice change.

Many times in BC2 I don't revive people, because I know how much I hate being revived, unless it's a ticket save near the end of a round. Half the time I'm completely out of fucking ammo because assaults never throw any!

So, good change DICE made there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like all this is in service of selling 10 dollar "cheat packs" that let you unlock shit early on. Certainly that's what you're going to have to do if you join the game a month or two after release in order to keep up with the guys with scopes and damage mods and whatever else they come up with.

mr_nothin

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
This is true, and I didn't mean to imply I didn't get revived at all. But yeah, there were plenty of times where I had two dead buddies around the corner and I just left them, haha. No sense in letting them die themselves.

Though I did have a few "Last Stand" moments where someone revived me right next to my killer and I took them out with my pistol. Doesn't feel as cheap as Last Stand, though.

Best strategy I found with chokepoints was to toss a grenade in the direction of the enemy, wait till it explodes and puffs up some smoke, then revive.

I actually think Demize said they will have armor enhancements? He commented and explained his reasoning behind removing Magnum Ammo but keeping Body Armor.
That's exactly what I did too. I mostly used grenades as distractions/decoys. I think I remember reading about body armor being in too....sad news :(
I think he said he only wanted there to be defensive perks or something like that.

Evolved1 said:
It's nice you don't have to worry about reviving people who don't want to be... since they can opt out. That's a nice change.

Many times in BC2 I don't revive people, because I know how much I hate being revived, unless it's a ticket save near the end of a round. Half the time I'm completely out of fucking ammo because assaults never throw any!

Well what's nice about being revived in BF3 (as far as the alpha was concerned) was that you are revived with full clips and everything.

firehawk12 said:
I feel like all this is in service of selling 10 dollar "cheat packs" that let you unlock shit early on. Certainly that's what you're going to have to do if you join the game a month or two after release in order to keep up with the guys with scopes and damage mods and whatever else they come up with.

They've been very clear about removing perks that imbalance the weapons or don't have a negative associated with them. Magnum Ammo was straight up +25 weapon damage with no negatives, and that's why it's being removed.

Still, you wonder if they've be able to balance all the unlocks they plan on having.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
"Anti-Air RPG Launcher"

I fucking love you DICE.

Customization sounds amazing.

Asgaro

Evolved1 said:

Actually Dice did it still wrong.
You can only choose to opt out AFTER you have had a sweep with the shock paddles.
They should allow the choice as soon as you fall to the grond.

Do you go for the heavy barrel for your assault rifle? It gives added accuracy for single shots, but at the cost of stronger recoil in burst fire/full auto mode.
That level of detail is sick. Imagine the amount of experimentation time regarding loadout there'll be!

On another note:

How much more hype can a man take?! It's since Crysis 1 I've been this hyped for a game.

Uriah

TheSeks said:

ITT: Someone with lack of skill to not be able to kill with the default guns. All the default guns in BC2 were fine, with the exception of the AEK's fucked up iron sights.

You do have a point with blowouts, but that's gonna happen no matter the game.

Yes, since he doesn't like weapon unlocks, he must be terrible at the game and lack skill.

Dibbz said:
I'm sorry but that sounds so fucking stupid. Great now there is no medic class and the guys that have a defrib don't even have to have it equipped. Holy shit that is the dumbest thing I've heard. That like saying oh the medic class in TF2 can swap his healing gun out for a rocket launcher. It makes no fucking sense. Of course people are going to swap it out for a rocket because they'd get fucking kills with it unless they are team players which majority of pub players are not.

Don't even get me started on their "rank" system. Jesus. Atleast they have the balls to say it's only there to show you your progress but fuck.

Wait, what?

Top Bottom