• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand Gameplay Premiere Trailer [And Details]

big_z

Woorloog said:
How many flags on consoles?
Probably 4-5. I have a feeling they'll cut the flags across the bridge which would be a shame since fights there are amazing.

I used to always play 32p karkand. When the player amount dropped To the low 20s the map starts to feel empty.

Cobra84

Kyaw said:
The game doesn't load for me sometimes... only happens when i have those injector files in my directory.
Are using the latest config he posted? There looks to be a problem with some of the lines.

Fixed version said:
/*========================================================================== ============
"USER" ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS
=========================================================================== ===========*/

// TODO: Normalize values to be on a human range scale, whole numbers prefered, decimals usable for micro adjustments
// These values should have min/max limit checks included in their functions, so that the end user doesn't get crazy results

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FILTER SELECTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// Comment to deactivate an effect.
// Example: To disable the tonemap effect, use // in front of #define USE_TONEMAP
#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING
#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN
//#define USE_BLOOM
//#define USE_TECHNICOLOR
#define USE_TONEMAP
//#define USE_SEPIA
//#define USE_VIGNETTE
//#define USE_POST_SHARPEN
//#define USE_FINAL_LIMITER

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FXAA SHADER
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// Set values to calculate the amount of Anti Aliasing applied
float fxaaQualitySubpix = 1.00; // Default: 0.75 Raise to increase amount of blur
float fxaaQualityEdgeThreshold = 0.012; // Lower the value for more smoothing
float fxaaQualityEdgeThresholdMin = 0.012; // Lower the value for more smoothing

PRE_SHARPEN
//For higher precision in the calculation of contour, requires slightly more processing power
bool highQualitySharpen = 0; //0 = Disable | 1 = Enable

// Set values to calculate the amount of AA produced blur to consider for the sharpening pass
#define Average 0.30
#define CoefBlur 1

// Set values of the sharpening amount
#define SharpenEdge 1.2
#define Sharpen_val0 0.5

BLOOM

TECHNICOLOR
#define TechniAmount 0.3 // 1.00 = Max
#define TechniPower 6.0 // lower values = whitening

// lower values = stronger channel
#define redNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define greenNegativeAmount 0.7 // 1.00 = Max
#define blueNegativeAmount 0.7 // 1.00 = Max

TONEMAP
#define Gamma 1.00
#define Exposure 0.00
#define Saturation 0.70 // use negative values for less saturation.
#define BlueShift 0.00 // Higher = more blue in image.
#define Bleach -0.04 // Bleach bypass, higher = stronger effect
#define Defog 0.090 // Strength of Lens Colors.
#define FogColor float4(0.06, 0.10, 0.08, 1.00) //Lens-style color filters for Blue, Red, Yellow, White.

SEPIA
#define Earthyellow // Color Tone, available tones can be seen in ColorTones.PNG (Do not use spaces in the name!)
#define GreyPower 1 //(Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning), defines how much of the grey color you wish to blend in
#define SepiaPower 1.2 //(Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning), defines how much of the color tone you wish to blend in

VIGNETTE
// Vignette effect, process by which there is loss in clarity towards the corners and sides of the image, like a picture frame
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // Center of screen for effect.
#define VignetteRadius 0.9 // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -0.50 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.

POST_SHARPEN
// Controls additional sharpening applied after previous processing. Strength should be max 0.25!
float Sharpen = 0.01;

FINAL_LIMITER
// Controls the strenght of the limiter. 1.000 for default setting
int LimiterStrenght = 1.000;

ghst

thanks for the laugh
VibratingDonkey said:
Looks like they've cut off the rightmost bit of Karkand, removing Warehouse and Factory. Seems dumb. Will probably lead to more clog at the bridge and a less dynamic map.

BF2_Karkand64_map.jpg
karkand_32.jpg

looks like we're getting the gimped micro versions designed for half the optimum player count.

not content with abominations like metro, dice are retroactively raping the memory of your favourite bf2 maps.

ACE 1991

That was easily the best battlefield 3 trailer yet. I'm going to live in wake island and karkand during christmas break.

I actually didn't think there were any fully destructible buildings, imagine my surprise when I bring a building down on four enemies while suppressing an enemy position in a BMP on Canal. The kills didn't come up as destruction, though.

Also, this looks utterly boss, can't wait for some good ol' Wake Island carnage, although I miss the moveable ships: Real Men beached the Destroyer near the airbase and shelled the crap out of it.

matt05891

I really hope all of the flags in the 32 player Karakand are on the console otherwise I will be sad. Fighting across that bridge was probably my second favorite part of that map.

If not... looks like it's time to get it for my pc.

ghst said:
karkand_32.jpg

looks like we're getting the gimped micro versions designed for half the optimum player count.

not content with abominations like metro, dice are retroactively raping the memory of your favorite bf2 maps.

Cannot please every gamer and apparently that includes drama queens such as yourself.

bishoptl said:
No Arica Harbor is a sin against God and man alike.
bro, i like you sand all that. But Arica Harbor was not the best map the console BF games had to offer...

Case in point: Bridge Too Far from BF:MC on the xbox360. that map was like the sweet nectar of the gods.

Cobra84

ghst said:
http://wiki.bf2s.com/_media/maps/battlefield-2/karkand_32.jpg

not content with abominations like metro, dice are retroactively raping the memory of your favourite bf2 maps.

It's bigger than the 32 player version, the cement factory flag is still there. I'm not sure why the last 1/6 of the of a somewhat linear map is so important.

Cobra84 said:
It's bigger than the 32 player version, the cement factory flag is still there. I'm not sure why the last 1/6 of the of a somewhat linear map is so important.

Didn't you hear? Battlefield 3 sucks, bro.

Raide

Cuban Legend said:
bro, i like you sand all that. But Arica Harbor was not the best map the console BF games had to offer...

Case in point: Bridge Too Far from BF:MC on the xbox360. that map was like the sweet nectar of the gods.

Fuuuuuuuu! We need this, ASAP!!

Kibbles

Cuban Legend said:
Oh sweet memories, I totally forgot about that. Good schtuff.

sp3000

soulassssns said:
Cannot please every gamer and apparently that includes drama queens such as yourself.

Please go ahead and try to justify why it was necessary to remove that side of the map? Was it really so hard to just copy the 64 player version instead of some strange combination between the 32 and 64 one?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
sp3000 said:
Please go ahead and try to justify why it was necessary to remove that side of the map? Was it really so hard to just copy the 64 player version instead of some strange combination between the 32 and 64 one?
i gave up questioning dice's conquest map decisions about 10 minutes in to staring at the same flight of stairs and enacting my very own ad-hoc turret sequence for an entire round of metro.

there's a lot to like about battlefield 3, but the map design veers between approaching former glories and incomprehensibly awful.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sp3000 said:
I haven't seen that many teams mount a Conquest Assault comeback from the Wherehouse or the Factory. It's usually game over by then anyway. I think their aim was to prevent all those NE spawns from fueling a stalemate at train accident, which was a lot more common.

SapientWolf said:
I haven't seen that many teams mount a Conquest Assault comeback from the Wherehouse or the Factory. It's usually game over by then anyway. I think their aim was to prevent all those NE spawns from fueling a stalemate at train accident, which was a lot more common.

This.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SapientWolf said:
train accident passchendaele re-enactments will become infinitely more common if the assaulting side doesn't have the opportunity to harass and secure a foothold on the far side of the island, with no opportunity to sneak a flag and secure a flank.

SapientWolf said:

Yeah. I'm not a fan at all of that section of the map.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ghst said:
train accident passchendaele re-enactments will become infinitely more common if the assaulting side doesn't have the opportunity to harass and secure a foothold on the far side of the island, with no opportunity to sneak a flag and secure a flank.
Train accident will pretty much decide the game without those extra backspawns because the defense won't really have anywhere to hide.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SapientWolf said:
Train accident will pretty much decide the game without those extra backspawns because the defense won't really have anywhere to hide.
that sounds even worse, completely mitigating the entire second half/endgame of that level.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ghst said:
that sounds even worse, completely mitigating the entire endgame of that level.
If you lost Hotel, Square, Suburb, and Train Accident your team deserves to lose. People shouldn't have to reenact Metro for 20 minutes after the game should have been over. Maybe defense will actually defend Suburb this time around.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SapientWolf said:
If you lost Hotel, Square, Suburb, and Train Accident your team deserves to lose. People shouldn't have to reenact Metro for 20 minutes after the game should have been over. Maybe defense will actually defend Suburb this time around.
now you're thinking like dice.

Xux

Why do sites list the MP5 when the beta files said it was the HK53? It's not like the guns look at all alike or anything.

Xux said:
Why do sites list the MP5 when the beta files said it was the HK53? It's not like the guns look at all alike or anything.

I guess it's whatever this is. Looks like an H&K. Maybe a little too short to be a 53?

31234090.jpg

demolitio

Holy shit. The L85 is coming back? I've been missing that gun for a long time now since it was a beast at medium-long ranges. It's my favorite weapon in SOCOM too. :p

Wake Island is actually kind of cool again solely for the fact that we get to see how far the series has come over time and how the graphics keep advancing. It's literally like a spreadsheet where they can show how the upgrades change the map.

seriously, i always wondered why they changed from Double Assault Conquest in BC1 to Head-On Conquest in BC2. i'd really love it if they went to Double Assault Lines Conquest in BC3.

Enkidu

Hellcrow said:
Isn't Noken one of the dudes behind the 'Mine' videoes fra BF2?
He is, apparently he works as a video editor for DICE nowadays. I guess they like hiring people from the community.

eiskaltnz

So hyped for this, more good Conquest maps is what I want.

Karkand grenade spam is the best grenade spam. The most points I have ever got as medic in any game has been on that map.

B2K QA

Unlocks carried over to Vanilla BF3

All the weapons that you unlock while playing Back to Karkand expansion pack will be usable when playing Battlefield 3.

Introducing Assignments

WIth Back to Karkand will come a new feature called “Assignments”. These will essentially be objective based tasks you can accept and will gain rewards from it.

Enhanced Destruction

The Destruction will be turned up a new level in Back to karkand.

Maps with BF2 Flag Structure

The levels in Back to Karkand will bring back the traditional Conquest Assault Gameplay. What this means is one team will start off with most of the flags, and the other team will have to capture those. This is the traditional map format we saw in Battlefield 2.

Karkand stats contribute to global stats

Everything you earn in Karkand will be contributed towards your soldier’s global score.

All game modes available

You’ll be able to play all gamemodes on back to Karkand maps. That means Rush on Wake Island, oh lala!

December 2011 Release

A specific date has yet to be released but it’s right around the corner!

Fuck yes! So universal rotation, weapons, and game modes? Fuck yes!

Really like the assignments--loved this in Homefront and Section 8.

Xux said:
No, that's an AKS-74u.

Hmm...the Engy AK has a very visible wooden foregrip that this one doesn't.

Animations are so good.

Top Bottom