• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: E3 2011 Gameplay Trailers

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nekrono said:
On the other hand I think Vietnam has a pretty damn good optimization, but then again it was meant and coded on PC first.
It was better optimized because there was far less to destroy in the maps. There even fewer trees in a lot of them than the jungle maps in vanilla.

Nekrono

Stallion Free said:
It was better optimized because there was far less to destroy in the maps. There even fewer trees in a lot of them than the jungle maps in vanilla.
Ha I never noticed there's less trees in Vietnam maps, about the destruction... now that you mention it you are correct, I guess most people never played Vietnam for long, at least I know I didn't, shame.

DTKT

The low recoil info has me a bit worried. BC2 was fine and I dont want anything less than that.

Don't be Homefront :(

32 player stress test servers, how do they work?
Don't like the Pacman map. I prefer a usable one which provides me with visual information beyond "there are white lines here".
The open beta will probably be this tiny, narrow little map as well. Suppose it's the most complete one. Hope the beta will feature the Conquest version too.

Arnie said:
I agree with you there. It's a frequent occurrence in BC2 to join a game and find out there's only 3 people playing,...
And then if you want to play that particular map you're screwed as there's a big chance you'll get reconnected to that same server again.

Another thing I don't understand why they got rid of is auto team balance. BC2 never rebalances the teams, not even between rounds. The only way for the teams to get balanced is if enough players join the server to fill in the gap. You can't manually switch teams, so when I notice this happening I just leave.

VibratingDonkey said:
32 player stress test servers, how do they work?
Don't like the Pacman map. I prefer a usable one which provides me with visual information beyond "there are white lines here".
The open beta will probably be this tiny, narrow little map as well. Suppose it's the most complete one. Hope the beta will feature the Conquest version too.

And then if you want to play that particular map you're screwed as there's a big chance you'll get reconnected to that same server again.

Another thing I don't understand why they got rid of is auto team balance. BC2 never rebalances the teams, not even between rounds. The only way for the teams to get balanced is if enough players join the server to fill in the gap. You can't manually switch teams, so when I notice this happening I just leave.
Yes, it does. If you aren't in a squad and the other team needs more players, you will get auto balanced to the other team next round. If you are in a squad, you will always stay on the same team. You can manually switch teams as well, at least on 360. Send someone on the other team a friend request, join their game, then cancel the friends request.

Keasar

Darkshier said:
Yes, it does. If you aren't in a squad and the other team needs more players, you will get auto balanced to the other team next round. If you are in a squad, you will always stay on the same team. You can manually switch teams as well, at least on 360. Send someone on the other team a friend request, join their game, then cancel the friends request.
Sometimes me and my friends would get split as someone in our squad suddenly got thrown over to the other team.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EuropeOG said:
What Anti Aliasing will this game use?

In BC2 with 8xMSAA the environments were still jaggy, will BF3 use MLAA or something?
It'll probably have several AA options on PC but I've heard reports of both MLAA and FXAA on consoles. AA hasn't been in the Bad Company games at all so that alone will give it a huge IQ boost over them.

Massa

EuropeOG said:
What Anti Aliasing will this game use?

In BC2 with 8xMSAA the environments were still jaggy, will BF3 use MLAA or something?

BC2 looked jaggy because of the terrible art direction. Vietnam already looked much better even under the same configuration.

Portugeezer

I haven't tried Vietnam yet, but I will have to some time.

RoboPlato said:
It'll probably have several AA options on PC but I've heard reports of both MLAA and FXAA on consoles. AA hasn't been in the Bad Company games at all so that alone will give it a huge IQ boost over them.
Well as long as it handles it better than BC2, because that was a bit jaggy even on PC.

Arnie

Stallion Free said:
He is implying that the lowest settings on the PC shots are the equivalent of what it will look like on Xbox.
Yes but even then this isn't a PC thread so he just comes off looking like a colossal dick.

Kyaw

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
anyone happen to save those pics? I would really like to show them off to friends..crap I should have saved them..=-/

Go back a page dude. Nothing to show off, it was on lowest graphical settings.

Arnie said:
I agree with you there. It's a frequent occurrence in BC2 to join a game and find out there's only 3 people playing, or that the map you requested to play was on the verge of changing. A server browser needs to be included, or at least the option to join games with the intention of playing a single map on repeat.

It's a disgusting trend that most games on consoles have chosen. I bet even Ghost Recon will not have a server browser anymore, allthough GRAW1 and 2 had one. And no private match option as well. The lack of these basic options alone makes me contemplate getting rid of my 360 and get a semi decent gaming PC running. I'm simply sick of this idea that console gamers are too idiotic to handle a server browser and need nothing more than a quick game option.

If only the loading times were faster. Shit takes forever to load. If it were as fast as Cod, it wouldn't be much of a problem, but sometimes you're stuck in loading screens for more than a minute.

Darkshier said:

Actually, you don;t even have to send a fr, just go to recent players. Sending a fr is a little faster though. Recent player list can sometimes take awhile to load.

wwm0nkey

Apparently this guy was running it at 510FPS with this set up

AMD PhenomII 965 @ 4.5Gghz
4x2048MB DDR3-2133Mhz
2x 80GB Intel X-25 SSD on an Areca RAID controller.
1x GTX460, little bit clocked.

Obviously its on low but still...holy crap.

EDIT: Picture

16jkfgm.png

NBtoaster

Massa said:
BC2 looked jaggy because of the terrible art direction. Vietnam already looked much better even under the same configuration.

No it's because MSAA wasn't compatable with other effects the game uses. Maybe because of post processing cancelling it out, or not working against HDR, so a lot of surfaces didn't receive it.

DX10 and 11 have methods to correct this so hopefully they we wont just be stuck with post process AA.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NBtoaster said:
No it's because MSAA wasn't compatable with other effects the game uses. Maybe because of post processing cancelling it out, or not working against HDR, so a lot of surfaces didn't receive it.

DX10 and 11 have methods to correct this so hopefully they we wont just be stuck with post process AA.
In DX 9 on Nvidia cards you can force Sparse-Grid Super Sampling relatively issue free (modern cards only).

NBtoaster

I should try that in BC2 but I think the framerate hit will be nasty on a single 570.

And I think it's been said that BF3 wont support DX9.

mr_nothin

Banned
Stallion Free said:
In DX 9 on Nvidia cards you can force Sparse-Grid Super Sampling relatively issue free (modern cards only).
And it is so amazing. My jaw dropped when I played with 12xCSAA + 4xSGSSAA @ 1080p w/e some forced negative lod.
It's like playing a completely different game. 60 bullshots a second.

NBtoaster said:
I should try that in BC2 but I think the framerate hit will be nasty on a single 570.

And I think it's been said that BF3 wont support DX9.
That's the card I have and it's really smooth. 8xCSAA + 4xSGSS is pretty much 60fps for me except in huge gunfights (the ones with a lot of dust/smoke).

But beware though, it does kind of make online games lag (i've noticed). Not "fps lag"...it's more of a buffer. It's almost as bad as enabling vsync but w/o as much input lag.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NBtoaster said:
I was getting 30-60 fps depending on the area in singleplayer on just a 460. But yeah, they are dropping DX9 support so SGSSAA compatibilities are unlikely.

NBtoaster

Stallion Free said:
I was getting 30-60 fps depending on the area in singleplayer on just a 460. But yeah, they are dropping DX9 support so SGSSAA compatibilities are unlikely.

I don't have BC2 installed right now, is there any way I can get it to work in MOH's mp to see it on the same engine?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NBtoaster said:
I don't have BC2 installed right now, is there any way I can get it to work in MOH's mp to see it on the same engine?
Yeah download Nvidia Inspector and use the AA compatibility: 0x004030C1

Try out 4x MSAA and 4x Sparse-Grid (together) and set the negative LOD bias to -1.5.

Varth

Didn't really follow development on the game, but reading about sniper sway and scope reflection piqued my interest: any place where I can get a good summary of the features and weapons that will be in the game?

YoungFa

Patrick Bateman said:
Wait, please explain.
The scope will reflect light, making it easier to spot snipers. And it also constantly moves a bit while aiming making it harder to hit the desired target.
I welcome both changes, but I'm much more excited to see the new surpression feature.

Keasar

YoungFa said:
The scope will reflect light, making it easier to spot snipers. And it also constantly moves a bit while aiming making it harder to hit the desired target.
I welcome both changes, but I'm much more excited to see the new surpression feature.
I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that holding Sprint or something like that will hold your breath and steady the scope, maybe I was mistaken?

YoungFa

Keasar said:
I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that holding Sprint or something like that will hold your breath and steady the scope, maybe I was mistaken?
Haven't heard that. Sounds like pure peculation to me.

YoungFa

Mr. Snrub said:
No, it's confirmed, it's just like MoH. Hold Shift to steady, hold it too long and you'll get jittery.
Hmm thats stupid, I hoped using bipod would be the only way to get rid of sway.

Top Bottom