• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
LordCanti said:
I've heard that the demo footage has been on a single GTX 580. A 6870 wouldn't quite match up, so 1080p/maxed is probably a bit of a stretch. It should look fantastic though.

Did they mention what framerate the demo was in? I'm guessing 60+ fps.

Izayoi

Banned
Nirolak said:
The textures and geometry in the Alpha were locked at the lowest setting.

You could move the settings up, but all it did was change AA, SSAO, and I think motion blur.
Yeah, that sounds about right. LOD was disabled too, everything set to lowest (this is according to DICE twitter, IIRC).

ChiefKief said:
Maybe with a snazzy new avatar, someone will have more insight on this. :D
Nobody knows. All we know is that there will be some sort of cooperative gameplay mode in the game.

Nirolak said:
Very nice OP.

I'd like to note that Demize99 mentioned an "Infantry Only" mode on Twitter, but it's unclear if that's a modifier mode (Infantry Only Conquest/Infantry Only Rush) or a stand alone mode.

I'm guessing modifier though as it makes vastly more sense that way.
BC2 PC has a modifier mode for that. It's just that you only have like half a dozen servers who actively use it.

Izayoi

Banned
Some of the other screenshots that didn't get posted in the OP.

http://h7.abload.de/img/bf3_006kuz5.png
http://h7.abload.de/img/bf3_0011udh.png
http://h7.abload.de/img/bf3_0085ub2.png
http://h7.abload.de/img/bf3_001ku3u.png

LordCanti

RoboPlato said:
It was around 60 with a couple of brief drops here and there.

That's in single player as well, where they can more precisely control what is happening. In a 64 player multiplayer match, with explosions and destruction happening all over the place, I think 60fps on a GTX 580 is a bit of a long shot with the game on "high" (at 1080p or higher, anyway).

alba

Little is the new Big
I think this is the very first game I'll check out once I get to GC :D HYPED! I wasn't selected in the Alpha sadly :/

Izayoi

Banned
LordCanti said:
That's in single player as well, where they can more precisely control what is happening. In a 64 player multiplayer match, with explosions and destruction happening all over the place, I think 60fps on a GTX 580 is a bit of a long shot with the game on "high" (at 1080p or higher, anyway).
I dunno. Even in alpha, which you have to figure is pretty unoptimized, with a single stock GTX 580 I was getting over 60 frames almost all of the time at 1920x1200 with 4xAA. I imagine that with optimizations you'll still be sitting pretty with a GTX 580 come launch, even on high.

LordCanti

Izayoi said:
I dunno. Even in alpha, which you have to figure is pretty unoptimized, with a single stock GTX 580 I was getting over 60 frames almost all of the time at 1920x1200 with 4xAA. I imagine that with optimizations you'll still be sitting pretty with a GTX 580 come launch, even on high.

I guess it's really a question of whether or not any graphical upgrades in the beta/retail versions, will outstrip any optimization's (either on DICE's end, or Nvidia's). Tessellation alone can bring video cards to their knees in a lot of instances, as can things like Depth of Field.

I have no doubt that there will be a way to get a great framerate in BF3 with a GTX 580, but some sacrifices might need to be made in order to achieve a solid 60fps.

LordCanti said:

On the other hand that was a pretty early build so hopefully they've optimized it considerably since.

mclaren777

Will they release a PS3 beta like they did with BFBC2?

And have they said anything about this game being at PAX?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mclaren777 said:
Will they release a PS3 beta like they did with BFBC2?

And have they said anything about this game being at PAX?
The beta is going to be open on all three platforms. Don't know about PAX.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
This plus DoTA2? I don't even know how to respond to this

Nirolak said:
The textures and geometry in the Alpha were locked at the lowest setting.

You could move the settings up, but all it did was change AA, SSAO, and I think motion blur.

Well that's probably one of the most decent looking low settings i've seen in a long time!

If it can look like that online with good performance on a 4890, i'll be happy.

Veritas_

Maybe I've been spoiled by previous games like Battlefield 1942 and 2, but I'm kinda bummed by the fact there are only two factions.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Veritas_ said:
Maybe I've been spoiled by previous games like Battlefield 1942 and 2, but I'm kinda bummed by the fact there are only two factions.
It's definitely likely that there are only two but there is a chance that there are more. We've at least seen the PLR in the campaign videos so they may be in MP too. I think it will only be two since unlocks seem specific to factions and it would be a lot of work to add even more but I do hope there are more.

sk3tch

No one on their dev team that I've tweeted to will answer if the PC version will support the 360 pad...my buddy will be more likely to play with me if so. He'll, I'd at least try it out. A huge omission in BF:BC2 IMO.

RoboPlato said:
It's definitely likely that there are only two but there is a chance that there are more. We've at least seen the PLR in the campaign videos so they may be in MP too. I think it will only be two since unlocks seem specific to factions and it would be a lot of work to add even more but I do hope there are more.
WAT
is this confirmed?

Nabs

sk3tch said:
No one on their dev team that I've tweeted to will answer if the PC version will support the 360 pad...my buddy will be more likely to play with me if so. He'll, I'd at least try it out. A huge omission in BF:BC2 IMO.

They might gimp it like they did in BC2. It worked in the Alpha, but there's no way to tell if they will keep it in the final build.

Veritas_ said:
Yup, unlocks are specific to the gun and faction like in Medal of Honor.
Haven't played moh but i've read somewhere that after you reach a certain level you can use the guns on the "enemy side", so it'll be like that in bf3?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
adriano999 said:
Haven't played moh but i've read somewhere that after you reach a certain level you can use the guns on the "enemy side", so it'll be like that in bf3?
Some things can be used by both sides in MoH anyway then later on you unlock all of the opposing faction's weapons. I'm not sure if it's like that in BF3 or if they just made different looking and sounding weapons that are equivalent to each other for each team (AK=M16, stuff like that). Someone who actually played the alpha might know.

RoboPlato said:
Some things can be used by both sides in MoH anyway then later on you unlock all of the opposing faction's weapons. I'm not sure if it's like that in BF3 or if they just made different looking and sounding weapons that are equivalent to each other for each team (AK=M16, stuff like that). Someone who actually played the alpha might know.
Thanks, hope someone can clarify this. I'm not a big fan of faction-specific guns, b/c i think it's just like having one set of guns with 2 different skins and it seems like a waste :\

Izayoi

Banned
adriano999 said:
Thanks, hope someone can clarify this. I'm not a big fan of faction-specific guns, b/c i think it's just like having one set of guns with 2 different skins and it seems like a waste :\
The M16A4 and AK-74 were nothing alike in the alpha. The M16 was better for closer quarters stuff, with its high rate of fire and tighter spread, but the AK-74 excelled at longer range encounters in semi-auto mode with its heavier hitting rounds.

Nekrono

adriano999 said:
They are not simply "skins" they have different feel and damage I would assume, but trust me they are not the "same", also they have different attachments.

What Izayoi said too.

Izayoi said:
The M16A4 and AK-74 were nothing alike in the alpha. The M16 was better for closer quarters stuff, with its high rate of fire and tighter spread, but the AK-74 excelled at longer range encounters in semi-auto mode with its heavier hitting rounds.
Nekrono said:
They are not simply "skins" they have different feel and damage I would assume, but trust me they are not the "same", also they have different attachments.

What Izayoi said too.
Good, i'm glad they're making every gun unique, i just hope they'll sort out balance problem so we don't have an OP faction or something...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Izayoi said:
Nobody knows. All we know is that there will be some sort of cooperative gameplay mode in the game.
To my knowledge, the co-op consists of ten two-player missions a la Spec Ops in Call of Duty.

Given how the game looks, I'd also put the odds of splitscreen at "incredibly low", but it isn't impossible.

Izayoi

Banned
Nirolak said:
To my knowledge, the co-op consists of ten two-player missions a la Spec Ops in Call of Duty.

Given how the game looks, I'd also put the odds of splitscreen at "incredibly low", but it isn't impossible.
Oh, that's pretty cool. Was not aware that's how it was being handled.

And yeah, chances of splitscreen are almost non-existent I'd say.

Nirolak said:

Given that BFBC2 already had a co-op mode (Onslaught), is it likely to be like that or more fully developed?

Xux

adriano999 said:
WAT
is this confirmed?

From what I've seen of alpha videos, the first guns in each category for either side were faction unique but the ones unlocked after were usable by either side. I guess everything could be faction specific once everything has a counterpart.

Izayoi

Banned
DTKT said:
Do we know anything regarding Origin being mandatory to run BF3?
It will not be mandatory in any way, shape, or form unless you purchase the game via Origin.

PSYGN said:
Is this couch co-op also or are the details not available, yet?
No details regarding that as of right now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
sk3tch said:
The 360 pad worked flawlessly in Medal of Honor's multiplayer (done by Dice), keep your hope up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
endlessflood said:
Given that BFBC2 already had a co-op mode (Onslaught), is it likely to be like that or more fully developed?
I think it's very literally supposed to be like the CoD mode in the same way that Battlefield 3's campaign resembles a CoD game much more than Bad Company 2.

Ohhhhh god Golf of Omen, I'm coming back baby.

(Proud Blackhawk transporter to destination building by the swimming pool)

Soooooooo awesome watching an entire squad jump onto the top of the building and secure the area.

I. Can't. Wait.

woober

Legato.Reborn- said:
Ohhhhh god Golf of Omen, I'm coming back baby.

(Proud Blackhawk transporter to destination building by the swimming pool)

Soooooooo awesome watching an entire squad jump onto the top of the building and secure the area.

I. Can't. Wait.

Oh god. I loved doing a the same thing on Mashtuur City. Fly in a whole squad on a black hawk on top of the mosque and capture the middle flag from the roof. Freakinn fun

2349c14259.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Izayoi said:
Good to know. Hopefully it won't unbalance things too much toward one team's gear over the other's.

Rad-

Domino Theory said:
Speaking of, when the hell are they going to show the 360 version?

Really weird this. That will be probably their biggest userbase and they haven't shown any footage for it yet.

I hope conquest mode has at least 5 capture points.

Hugely disappointed if this isn't the case. Good amount of capture points is one of my favorite elements in the series. Allows stealth capping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom