• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh7289

Izayoi said:
I definitely don't remember it, and I've played tons of BC2. Maybe it's just really subtle or something, to the point of being merely cosmetic, because I was definitely never able to make my own cover by blowing holes in the ground like I can in BF3.
Right, you can't make craters that large in BC2, but they're still there and if you ever have to drive over them with a vehicle you'll definitely know.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Legato.Reborn- said:
Installing BF2 complete collection pack right now, time for some nostalgia.
Optimizing shaders ....

Sethos

Banned
Spl1nter said:
You should keep BF2 as nostalgia.

Yes. Don't ever go back to a game you have fond nostalgic memories of, you end up disappointed because the nostalgia is usually very generous plus games rarely age well.

I tried BF2 the other day, I almost cried.

Fersis said:
Optimizing shaders ....

*Press Escape* Where's the menu? *Press escape again* you get to the menu and it closes again because the actions were queued. FFFUUU, god damn wait on getting to the menu - The most horrific memory of my BF2 experience :p

raphier

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
BKFrWl.jpg
Lol, they totally watched TDK too many times.

Sethos

Banned
Just for random information, the "Be advised" won't be in the final version or at least, not to that extend. They said it was something the voice actors did to get into the character and should be cut out in retail.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
we need more newsbeta :/

gamescomSeptember is too far away
Fixed!

Stallion Free said:
It was so hard going back even in Karkand. I regret it.
I've found hit detection to be janky and Spotting is a bitch, but otherwise it was easy for me to jump into it for the first time and for 4.95 I can't complain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I've found hit detection to be janky and Spotting is a bitch, but otherwise it was easy for me to jump into it for the first time and for 4.95 I can't complain.
I have these incredible memories of the demo and release day and the months after due to my lower standards and higher tolerance for shit netcode/hit detection. Those memories were tarnished when I returned.

Sethos said:
Yes. Don't ever go back to a game you have fond nostalgic memories of, you end up disappointed because the nostalgia is usually very generous plus games rarely age well.

I tried BF2 the other day, I almost cried.

Really? I played it last year when the last patch was released and thought it was still awesome, only thing that annoyed the shit out of me was the stretched UI.

Stallion Free said:
I have these incredible memories of the demo and release day and the months after due to my lower standards and higher tolerance for shit netcode/hit detection. Those memories were tarnished when I returned.
I will admit it took me a while to get used to trying to hit someone. I mean I suck, but I don't suck that much. Still just the freedom and variety in itself was a huge plus. I do feel a lot of the things in the Bad Company series (like the ease of spotting) will make BF3 a huge plus towards updating BF2. Spotting and repairing are half the ways I ever gain XP lol. Ah it's why I love the series so much!

Animator said:
THIS.

I installed Bf2 yesterday and uninstalled 10 minutes later. It did not age well.

I never played BF2 beyond a demo a long time ago, it was nice to get a feel for the BF series vs the BFBC series I came in playing.

Izayoi said:
From the Alpha, it seems pretty much even balance-wise.

I prefer the feel of some of the US weapons, but I don't think it's because they're more powerful or anything.

I know, but he was asking about couch co-op. I don't think anything has been said regarding that yet.

I like the tighter spread of the US assault rifles. Definitely was useful during defensive play.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does anyone have any footage of full matches from the alpha? There was one really good video on Youtube (I think it was from FrankieonPC) but it got taken down.

Deegon

Banned
Keasar said:
I actually do but, its a bit away and I dont have a car or bicycle...seriously, Gamestop is the only one in sweden? Fuck you EA!

Oh well, might as well use this 100 sek cupon I got in a magazine for specifically Gamestop.

Might I ask which magazine?

georgc

Hey BF3 fans I have a little present for all of you. I got myself a 25% off birthday coupon for origin. From what I have read and understand once activated there is a small window where this code will stay active and work.

So this is what i was thinking. Just to keep it within the family ill post the code in the BFBC2 community thread. Once I post it use it asap before the window closes. Ill post the code at 11 pm est.

Hope this works :) and if it does.... you know work.....I could use a dirt 3 code >:)

edit: I just realized that 11pm is only a half an hour away. make it 12 am est to give people more chance to see it

Whoa, I didn't know that textures and geometry was locked at low during the alpha. I thought the game was pretty good looking, but it didn't "wow" me graphically. Hype +1 with this knowledge.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
georgc said:
Hey BF3 fans I have a little present for all of you. I got myself a 25% off birthday coupon for origin. From what I have read and understand once activated there is a small window where this code will stay active and work.

So this is what i was thinking. Just to keep it within the family ill post the code in the BFBC2 community thread. Once I post it use it asap before the window closes. Ill post the code at 11 pm est.

Hope this works :) and if it does.... you know work.....I could use a dirt 3 code >:)

edit: I just realized that 11pm is only a half an hour away. make it 12 am est to give people more chance to see it
I'm stuck on PS3 so I can't take advantage of this but I wanted to say that you're awesome for doing this.
If I had a PC I would be begging you for this

Animator

JWong said:
That Mig is probably cheaper than a PS3. 8P

Lol :D

I wonder if the mig 21 is in the game. It seems to be a really old plane to put in a modern day military setting. But I guess bringing a SU-27 to gamescom would be a bit out of EA's budget.

aperman

Neo Member
Animator said:
Lol :D

I wonder if the mig 21 is in the game. It seems to be a really old plane to put in a modern day military setting. But I guess bringing a SU-27 to gamescom would be a bit out of EA's budget.

You wouldn't think so, what with all the EA IS GREEDY SCUM comments flying around the internets. :p

demolitio

Well, they could have brought the MiG since it was cheaper or it could be due to Iran being involved in the campaign and they still have some 21's. So the conquest level being shown could possibly be a level based in Iran which would be funny considering the air battles would have to be balanced but would look extremely weird seeing 4th or maybe 5th generation U.S. fighters dogfight against extremely old technology.

If that was the case, it'd be fucking amazing if the F-14 was in there on the Iranian side as well since I miss that plane. Hell, maybe Iran will have a large supply of parts for the F-14 in the game compared to real life at least...lol

Edit: Wow...Ironically enough, there was a MiG 21 crash in Iran just a few days ago.

demolitio said:
Well, they could have brought the MiG since it was cheaper or it could be due to Iran being involved in the campaign and they still have some 21's. So the conquest level being shown could possibly be a level based in Iran which would be funny considering the air battles would have to be balanced but would look extremely weird seeing 4th or maybe 5th generation U.S. fighters dogfight against extremely old technology.

If that was the case, it'd be fucking amazing if the F-14 was in there on the Iranian side as well since I miss that plane. Hell, maybe Iran will have a large supply of parts for the F-14 in the game compared to real life at least...lol

Edit: Wow...Ironically enough, there was a MiG 21 crash in Iran just a few days ago.

Old tech ? HA!

There was that dogfight where a US pilot (i think) chased arround a Egyptian crazy person in a mig 21 with a Mirage for 10 minutes.

The egyptian finished the whole thing by doing a Split-S at impossible low altitude and still got away .

It was on metacafe i believe

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SensualSeduction said:
Old tech ? HA!

There was that dogfight where a US pilot (i think) chased arround a Egyptian crazy person in a mig 21 with a Mirage for 10 minutes.

The egyptian finished the whole thing by doing a Split-S at impossible low altitude and still got away .

No, Epstein blew him to pieces when he couldn't pull out of the climb fast enough.

demolitio

SensualSeduction said:
Old tech ? HA!

Yes...VERY old tech. A pilot can have a lot of influence in dogfights, but it's hard to say it isn't old tech when it can be shot down way before the MiG even realizes there's an enemy in the AO. It'd be a lot closer with a modern Russian jet but a MiG 21 is hardly going to scare ANYONE in combat. That's why I'll be shocked if it's even in BF3 because the jets will have to be balanced but it will look extremely weird seeing the two dogfight. I know you were probably being sarcastic but I was making my point anyway! :D

4th generation fighters, and specifically U.S. fighters, have a proven track record for a reason. The F-15 was 101-0 in air-to-air combat which includes the 1982 Israel-Lebanon war where the Israeli F-15's and F-16's had a combat record of 86-0 on primarily MiG-21's and MiG-23's and that's just one conflict. I'm not saying training didn't have a big part to do with it, but it's really hard to deny the technological advantages new jets have. Not even factoring in the pilots, it'd be extremely unfair.

No, I'm not saying I want realistic air combat or anything like that, but it's just that the two are soooooo far different and from completely different eras that it's hard to envision a fair fight. But another part of me says it'd be cool if they did that for the Iran maps since no one would expect them there. If anything, I'd rather see an F-14 face off against an F-15 or F-16 just because that'd be two iconic American jets facing off. I'm sure EA was trying to be cheap with the jet but it still could be something in the game based on Iran or a lot of other ME nations. I just don't see how it'd work though without it looking absolutely weird.

Just so you know, it was an Israeli Mirage since that's not used by the USAF. The Egyptian pilot did unbelievable maneuvers but he ended up wearing himself out because of it...lol

Oh man am I salivating at the thought of jets in BF3 though. I've been waiting for this for a long team ever since I worked on making new jets for a BF2 mod. To picture the jets actually being able to do a bombing run and actually damage buildings is amazing although I'm not sure how that can work out since there wouldn't be anything left after 5 minutes...lol

Sethos

Banned
Could be plenty of scenarios where an old fighter makes its appearance. Possibly in a multiplayer map where only one team has the jet or in a single-player scenario - Invading the middle east in a fictional scenario? Screams old jets making their appearance or possibly just a slaughter scenario with you in an F22 up against a dozen of old MIGs. Doubt they will be implemented as the counter for fifth generation fighters.

demolitio

Jtrizzy said:
You would assume Raptors or JSF's since this takes place in 2014.
Exactly which makes it even weirder but the 4th (or 4.5) generation fighters are still the main workforce since they cut F-22 production. The F-35 has been a huge waste of money so far and the USAF version should have been scrapped early on at the very least and then use the money to buy more F-22's.

Now that I said that, I'll get back to the point, lol. I think that we'll see the F-15 or F-16, F-18, and the A-10 for some of the levels while the F-35 would be useful on some of the bigger levels against the more modern countries. If the MiG-21 is really ingame and if there are levels in Iran, then I think the 4th (or 4.5) gen fighters would make the most sense in a few ways. I hope to see the F-22 but it'd have to be extremely gimped in the maneuverability side of things that it'd be a waste anyways.

I don't know. It could go a lot of ways I guess so we'll have to wait and see. Even by 2014, the majority of the jets will still be 4th gen but it would be neat to see the newer ones too. It's got to be hard on DICE to walk the line of balance while also adding the authenticity that's clearly a big part of BF3. I'm not talking about realism in any way, but more about which vehicles they choose and why.

Edit: Yea, I never thought about SP where the 5th gens could be used for an uneven battle. The 4th gens could probably still handle the MiGs but damn would it be awesome to be in an F-22 for that portion. I love speculating about this game, lmao.

Damn I can't wait until GamesCom now... I believe we will see some Jets during Multiplayer fellers... well, it's obvious now isn't it?

BOO YAH!

Keasar

ColonialRaptor said:
Damn I can't wait until GamesCom now... I believe we will see some Jets during Multiplayer fellers... well, it's obvious now isn't it?

BOO YAH!
But are they actually in the game? Will there be tanks too?
99a828d012f0e12b2d15072d5a7ce64a82f06950.jpg

They will be in the game... of course they will be in the game.

Whether they show them at the show or not? Well, that's anyone's guess.

But the fact that they've gone to the trouble to bring in an ACTUAL FIGHTER JET... I would say they're going to be showing off a single player Jet section (like it was a tank section at E3) and the multiplayer will feature Jets... but the multiplayer may or may not have jets...

There has to be something to do with Jets in the gameplay demo, I'm sure of it.

By the way, about the volumetric smoke that we were talking about from the other thread - I checked the Thunder Run video again and I'm not 100% certain if that's where I saw it but I'm sure that the smoke is going to be at least slightly physics affected... at least in Single Player.

The smoke and dust in that level was reacting to the wind, and the rockets and dust was swirling with the tanks a little bit. At the very end you can see the F-111 cause a bit of a stir in the smoke as well, but it's not quite there for long enough to tell properly.

It could be pre-canned smoke animation for the single player, but I doubt it... I think we're going to be in for some smoke physics boys and girls :D

Kyaw

I sent a tweet about it to zh1nt0 but i doubt he will reply about such a minor thing. :/

Remember the canned smoke animation from the landing crafts in Killzone 2's first level?
That was SWEET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom