• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Soi-Fong said:
Canti, say you're required to SLI 580s to get ultra setting and 1080p plus 60fps, I'm just wondering would you do it.

I'd manually tweak the settings until I locked it in at 60fps, if I deemed 60fps to be necessary for my optimal enjoyment of the game.

The game is going to run at 30 FPS on the consoles, at a much lower resolution, and with less players. I'm not going to cry if I can only vsync around 40-50fps, as long as it never dips into the low thirties.

Smokey said:
SLI 580s are overkill for anything. One could argue that a single 580 is overkill. But for guaranteed 60fps with some nice AA options thrown in if you can afford it why not.

Generally speaking, I try to steer most people into either a 560 ti, or a 570 if I can. The pricing on the 580 has been way higher than it should be ever since it came out. Then again, AMD never came out with a 6975 or something to match it's performance, so they've had the single GPU performance crown for that entire time. With it, I guess, they've gained the ability to keep the price high.

Guess I will be running crossfire 6950s.

Will get another as soon as I see a good deal. Glad to see BF3 is going to be optimized for dual video cards day 1.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Corky said:
Then why would they even bother with it for gamescom?
Because they have a marketing agreement with Nvidia.

SLI/Crossfire barely made sense when they were first marketed, their need has gone downhill drastically since average desktop resolution has peaked in the neighborhood of 1080p for now and won't be going significantly higher any time soon. Since that peak we've gone through 2 - 3 generations, not counting refreshes of graphics hardware.

It is why you see both of them branching out---looking for value add beyond merely pushing pixels---with things like 3d, eye-finity, and a push towards DX11. It becomes increasingly hard to justify the expense of the higher-end cards when $200 or so will give you really good performance at 1080p.

LordCanti

Somehow, I doubt there is even a half decent SLI (or crossfire) profile for Battlefield 3 yet. Once there is, performance with dual GPU's should be much better.

Driver optimization for single GPU cards will come as well, as the game gets closer to launch.

People who think a single 580 isn't sufficient for no slowdown, high level graphics are just way overreacting. There's no reason they would launch the game so hardware breaking when no BF has ever been Crysis-esque in it's requirements nor does it make sense in the vein that they're directly competing with CoD which can easily run maxed out 60 FPS on mid tier systems.

mr_nothin

Banned
Smokey said:
SLI 580s are overkill for anything. One could argue that a single 580 is overkill. But for guaranteed 60fps with some nice AA options thrown in if you can afford it why not.
What?
D:
There's no such thing as overkill on PC. If you want 4x/8x SGSSAA + MSAA on BF3 @ Ultra then you're going to need 580 SLI's. no such thing as overkill when it comes to image quality ;)
I also doubt a single 580 will be able to run BF3 @ 1080p on Ultra at 60fps+.

LordCanti

There are definitely games where the 580 struggles. Metro 2033 for instance (http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/9)

Looking at GTX 580 performance in Bad Company 2 (http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/6) we can see that a 60+ average was barely attainable with a single 580 @ 1080p, with the settings cranked up.

Undoubtedly, GTX 580 (and 570 for that matter) users will be able to dial in 60fps at a setting that makes the game look fantastic. Will it be maxed though? Probably not. Really though, how many passes of AA does a modern game need? At some point, you're throwing AA passes and other things at a problem that doesn't exist, at the expense of FPS.

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
There are definitely games where the 580 struggles. Metro 2033 for instance (http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/9)

Looking at GTX 580 performance in Bad Company 2 (http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/6) we can see that a 60+ average was barely attainable with a single 580 @ 1080p, with the settings cranked up.

Undoubtedly, GTX 580 (and 570 for that matter) users will be able to dial in 60fps at a setting that makes the game look fantastic. Will it be maxed though? Probably not. Really though, how many passes of AA does a modern game need? At some point, you're throwing AA passes and other things at a problem that doesn't exist, at the expense of FPS.
I have the 570 and the bolded is my problem. I'm an image quality/detail/graphics NUT and I have to have just about every last bit of graphics oozing out of my screen. But then again, this is a multiplayer game and I know I'll need at LEAST 50fps, as the avg framerate, in order for me to enjoy it. I never ever stop tweaking cvars/configs and overclocking settings until I can get exactly that. I know I'll have to break down and buy another 570 and SLI that sum-bitch.

Also, for me...tons of AA passes are needed but only when targeted to the right areas. 32x MSAA doesnt make any kind of sense to me when you still have jaggy foliage, leaves, fences, wires, etc. Once you go SGSSAA, you dont ever want to go back. It's literally like playing at 60 press release bullshot frames a second.

LordCanti

mr_nothin said:
I have the 570 and the bolded is my problem. I'm an image quality/detail/graphics NUT and I have to have just about every last bit of graphics oozing out of my screen. But then again, this is a multiplayer game and I know I'll need at LEAST 50fps, as the avg framerate, in order for me to enjoy it. I never ever stop tweaking cvars/configs and overclocking settings until I can get exactly that. I know I'll have to break down and buy another 570 and SLI that sum-bitch.

I'm usually from the "I'm going to turn every slider to minimum, and tear fools up with my 120fps" school of thought, but I realize that it's kind of outdated in our LCD era. That used to give me an advantage in Unreal Tournament, but I'm not sure how much good it would do in Battlefield 3, on a 60fps TV.

I definitely look forward to high graphical fidelity being beamed directly into my eye holes. I'm planning a 150" projector screen, and I fully intend to feel like I'm in a damn jet/heli/etc. I can't afford both a second 580 and the projector setup though, so I'm going to have to live with 40-50fps, if that is all I can get lol.

CryoLombax said:
Anybody have an Alpha Code for BF3?

Not sure if serious.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
CryoLombax said:
Anybody have an Alpha Code for BF3?

WUUUUUUTTTTT?

You do realize Alpha finished almost 2 weeks ago...

Cryo
Lombax
(Today, 12:33 AM)
Reply | Quote

Looks like the Cryo messed with your memory a little =/

LordCanti

CryoLombax said:
Nope I've been out of the loop, oh well...only another two months left

Beta in a month or so (maybe less). Pre-order on Origin for 48 hours of exclusive access, or otherwise wait the two days and join the open beta.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
CryoLombax said:
Nope I've been out of the loop, oh well...only another two months left

There's a BETA next month =]

Jebus!, lets get your memory in order, lets go play Brain Age, we need to get those mental nerves triggering to maximum effect

Why is there an expectation that you can take a current GPU and max out the game at 1080p+ ? Also max out can vary. What level and form of AA are we discussing?

If you want to do that, be prepared to spend the money for it. I'm glad to see BF3 pushing the envelope for graphics. As long as Dice their part in optimization but the bar is still above current hardware, that's fine. Let ati and nvidia step up and deliver products that can do it.

Soi-Fong

LordCanti said:
I'm usually from the "I'm going to turn every slider to minimum, and tear fools up with my 120fps" school of thought, but I realize that it's kind of outdated in our LCD era. That used to give me an advantage in Unreal Tournament, but I'm not sure how much good it would do in Battlefield 3, on a 60fps TV.

I definitely look forward to high graphical fidelity being beamed directly into my eye holes. I'm planning a 150" projector screen, and I fully intend to feel like I'm in a damn jet/heli/etc. I can't afford both a second 580 and the projector setup though, so I'm going to have to live with 40-50fps, if that is all I can get lol.

Not sure if serious.

Lol Gotta admit Canti, I like your attitude. You know where your limits are in terms of budget and you're ok with sacrificing a little graphical fidelity and not going insane. Good self-control..

You're the kinda customer Nvidia or Radeon would hate lol.

LordCanti

Soi-Fong said:
Lol Gotta admit Canti, I like your attitude. You know where your limits are in terms of budget and you're ok with sacrificing a little graphical fidelity and not going insane. Good self-control..

You're the kinda customer Nvidia or Radeon would hate lol.

I've done everything I can to cheap out for a new computer. I buy things on sale (my GTX 580 was $330) and I wait as long as I possibly can for combo deals and things of that nature.

I only do so because I'm on a budget though. I'm planning to project a 150" image onto a wall I've painted whitish grey and not a proper screen, because screens are expensive. Hell, I was hoping to use my C2D E8500 based computer for BF3, but it's looking like I'll need to drop the $300-$400 or so to upgrade to Sandy Bridge.

I'm only upgrading to a projector screen because my tv has burn in ;_; I'd just as soon not spend that money either.

Soi-Fong

LordCanti said:
I've done everything I can to cheap out for a new computer. I buy things on sale (my GTX 580 was $330) and I wait as long as I possibly can for combo deals and things of that nature.

I only do so because I'm on a budget though. I'm planning to project a 150" image onto a wall I've painted whitish grey and not a proper screen, because screens are expensive. Hell, I was hoping to use my C2D E8500 based computer for BF3, but it's looking like I'll need to drop the $300-$400 or so to upgrade to Sandy Bridge.

I'm only upgrading to a projector screen because my tv has burn in ;_; I'd just as soon not spend that money either.

We're kinda getting off topic, but we should have a thread where people post different good deals on various components and people like you posting different pointers on how to get good deals.

LordCanti said:
Beta in a month or so (maybe less). Pre-order on Origin for 48 hours of exclusive access, or otherwise wait the two days and join the open beta.

Cool, can't wait. I'm still deciding which platform to buy it on first though, I have friends on PS3 and not many on PC.

LordCanti

Soi-Fong said:
We're kinda getting off topic, but we should have a thread where people post different good deals on various components and people like you posting different pointers on how to get good deals.

Whoever starts that would have a lot of work on their hands. I generally peruse entire forums filled with people that have nothing better to do than hunt for deals, and then jump on them while I can.

Getting back to BF3; Is there really no more footage? All those people, and no more off screen footage?

CryoLombax said:
Cool, can't wait. I'm still deciding which platform to buy it on first though, I have friends on PS3 and not many on PC.

That's a tough choice. There were quite a lot of people in the GAF group during the alpha, and I expect that there will be even more when the beta and retail versions are released (it was a closed alpha, after all). Maybe we can fill out an entire 32 man team in Conquest 64 at some point. I kind of fear hearing 32 people on mumble at one time though.

My choice was made for me. The only gamers I'm friends with IRL are more of the...well, let's just say they play a competitors FPS game, that comes out yearly (that I won't mention, to hold back the flames). Not one has made any mention of BF3, so I'm just going to buy it on the PC.

Longshot

How do you guys think I'll go? I'm not against upgrading my video card if I have to, but if I don't have to then I won't bother. Would two 5850's via Crossfire do well in BF 3?

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz
8 GB RAM
ATi Radeon HD 5850

Soi-Fong

Sigma Storm said:
How do you guys think I'll go? I'm not against upgrading my video card if I have to, but if I don't have to then I won't bother. Would two 5850's via Crossfire do well in BF 3?

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz
8 GB RAM
ATi Radeon HD 5850

None of us here are really sure. We'll just have to wait for the beta, but looking at those specs medium settings should be fine. Don't expect 1080p or 60fps though.

Izayoi

Banned
Corky you need to calm down. You aren't going to need SLI 580s to max the game. The build at Gamescom was still in Alpha. The performance jump from the BC2 Beta was ENORMOUS. Wait until the Beta, at the very least, before wildly jumping to conclusions.

Smokey

mr_nothin said:
What?
D:
There's no such thing as overkill on PC. If you want 4x/8x SGSSAA + MSAA on BF3 @ Ultra then you're going to need 580 SLI's. no such thing as overkill when it comes to image quality ;)

I said in the second part of the post that if you add in gobs of AA then yes it's worth it. Otherwise SLI is overkill for base software today. That is a fact.

A single 580 will run about 50fps. See below:

------

shagg_187 said:
Well, you can't really be sure cause everyone knows that 500 series will be use as a benchmark and that the alpha settings were bare minimum.

I'm referring to :

My entire office has been in BF3 since day 1, were in Beta of BF2...Let's say we have a very open stream of communication.

The game is "developed" for the top end of what's available, that's your high setting...What's the most top end, commonly available card atm? The 580...

As anyone in alpha noticed, HIGH on the 580 in the alpha wasn't "maxing out" as you so toss out there...It was still getting 60-80FPS which is 1/4 over what's "accepted" as capable.

For ultra, the 580 will be getting @50fps, which considering we're all 590 owners, apparently...There won't be any problems.

I don't think Ultra mode was even known about until the BF3 dev just mentioned it on his twitter.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
ultra setting will max out the graphics in PC version

9JQ8L.png

This guy was talking about the Ultra spec before it was even announced by the BF3 dev, so I'm willing to take his word for it. Says he's an admin at Alienware.

Jtrizzy

Really need some help here, I just built this pc and can't get BC2 to run. When I launch from steam, I get to the main menu but the mouse doesn't select anything, and the game is running with widescreen bars on top and bottom.

I turned off scaling in the nvidia menu...maybe ill change that, but that doesn't do anything with the mouse. I did have trouble when my friend played starcraft, he put it in windowed mode and it started working. Don't know how to do that w/BC2 since I can't get to the visual options in the main menu.

Steam also seems to be running in some weird low res mode and the text is bigger than I remembered. The website looks infinitely sharper.

Batman AA demo and braid run perfectly from steam though.

Izayoi

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Really need some help here, I just built this pc and can't get BC2 to run. When I launch from steam, I get to the main menu but the mouse doesn't select anything, and the game is running with widescreen bars on top and bottom.

I turned off scaling in the nvidia menu...maybe ill change that, but that doesn't do anything with the mouse. I did have trouble when my friend played starcraft, he put it in windowed mode and it started working. Don't know how to do that w/BC2 since I can't get to the visual options in the main menu.

Steam also seems to be running in some weird low res mode and the text is bigger than I remembered. The website looks infinitely sharper.

Did you make sure to update to the most recent GeForce drivers?

mr_nothin

Banned
Jtrizzy said:

Is your resolution set correctly? I know, sometimes BC2 has problems with resolutions that arent your monitor's native rez. Try to go a little bit under what you're trying to select....just keep going down until it's highlighted and try to change the res to your native.

mr_nothin said:
What?
D:

I doubt SLI 580's is going to be able to run ultra at 1080p at 60fps+ at all times with 8xAA as well.

I know that's putting it harshly, but I don't think I'm being unrealistic.

SLI of the next round of graphics cards from Nvid, that's probably going to be sufficient (I'm talking with 8xAA here as well mind you.

What it's going to take to run at 2560 and 2 or 4x AA is hurting my butt pocket at the moment.

My two 6970's are going to be crying when it comes to launch, because I must play this game at 2560x1440 with at least 2xAA and I would be more happy with 4xAA and I will do whatever it takes to do it.

But - I don't know if there will be anything on the market that will do so when the game launches... so I'm worried.

I mean - I could plonk in two 6990's but that's a bit excessive and would also probably require a mobo and CPU upgrade as well, and I'm not going to do that until the 2011 chipset and CPU's come out.

So... I think I'm in a bit of a bind and don't know what to do because I think 2560 is going to be the wild card that isn't runnable... perhaps two 580's will do it... maybe, but if it's going to take two 580's to do it at 1920x1080 what the heck is it going to take to do it at 2560?

I've been recently considering downgrading my monitor from the 27" iMac that I use as my Monitor at the moment to a 24" but I don't think I can handle losing the pixel density and image quality. I mean, I ended up playing the Alpha on my 24" Dell 2410 at 1920 and my setup ran it at 100+ fps pretty much the whole time, and while that was very good it doesn't even compare to the 27" iMac screen.

There is no real other option other than this screen... I don't believe Apple has a 24" iMac available any more, and the older ones were 16x10.

I think there's also the possibility of using the older 24" Apple Cinema Display as a monitor which is a possibility but it's not got the pixel density of the 27".

Oh... what to do :/

supersaw said:
I wonder if I'll be able to max 2560 x 1440 on a 6990 without having to go hex-core for cpu.

Heh... doubt it - see my comments above :/

aperman

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:
I've been recently considering downgrading my monitor from the 27" iMac that I use as my Monitor at the moment to a 24" but I don't think I can handle losing the pixel density and image quality. I mean, I ended up playing the Alpha on my 24" Dell 2410 at 1920 and my setup ran it at 100+ fps pretty much the whole time, and while that was very good it doesn't even compare to the 27" iMac screen.

There is no real other option other than this screen... I don't believe Apple has a 24" iMac available any more, and the older ones were 16x10.

I think there's also the possibility of using the older 24" Apple Cinema Display as a monitor which is a possibility but it's not got the pixel density of the 27".

Oh... what to do :/

Heh... doubt it - see my comments above :/

Similar bind here. I have an 8-Core Mac Pro @ 3.0GHz, 16GB of RAM, but a shitty 4870 with 512MB of RAM. I have a 24" and 27" LED Cinema Display.

Would love to use the 27" max resolution, but my card will literally explode.

I'm pretty much stuck with what Apple offers as far as upgrading the card goes - hoping for a Mac Pro refresh that'll bring around some new cards. If not, then I'll probably end up playing on the 24" on high (not maxed out).

demolitio

Jesus, how do you guys sell all your old equipment after upgrading? Craigslist or something?

If that's the case, I have to shop on CL more...lol. Hell, most of the stuff in here is better than mine and it's getting replaced which makes mine feel more outdated. It's all about how much a game's graphics is worth to you. The beauty of PC gaming I guess. You always feel outdated once the next game comes out. Now I'm second guessing myself on how it'll run. :D

The alpha ran decent enough but knowing it was mostly all low is a little alarming. I know I won't play it with AA on and all that so I'm still hoping for medium. This is like BF2 all over again when my GPU overheated and Best Buy "upgraded" my 5950 Ultra with a 6200 and told me it was better. I guess I was too young to know the difference at the time, so then I had trouble with BF2's settings thanks to my "upgrade".

I guess this doesn't happen often on PC gaming anymore since most games are console ports so there's no need in upgrading, especially when some will run like shit no matter what.

I'll just avoid AA, SSAO, low AF, and hope the others can handle medium. :)

LordCanti

Nostalgia~4ever said:
Is the 590 out?

Been out for awhile. It's just always low stock everywhere. Same with the 6990. No one buys them (pretty much) so they don't produce a whole lot of them.

They'd much rather sell you two 580's for a grand, than a 590 for $700.

NBtoaster

I hope they do a good job of explaining the jet controls. Seemed like you have to perform the ritual of crashing 20 helicopters in BC2 before the vehicle gods would grant you proper flying knowledge.

supersaw

NBtoaster said:
I hope they do a good job of explaining the jet controls. Seemed like you have to perform the ritual of crashing 20 helicopters in BC2 before the vehicle gods would grant you proper flying knowledge.

I also hope they have proper Joystick compatibility the implementation in BC2 was pretty half assed.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Izayoi said:
Corky you need to calm down. You aren't going to need SLI 580s to max the game. The build at Gamescom was still in Alpha. The performance jump from the BC2 Beta was ENORMOUS. Wait until the Beta, at the very least, before wildly jumping to conclusions.

I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CF5uZ.gif

Need more 580s...

:[

Here's hoping you're right, or else you owe me atleast one 580.

Sethos

Banned
Someone was talking about the US using the AKS-74U and it might have been exclusive to the build or possibly unlocked later, here's the confirmation, high-rank unlock;

( Sorry if he already confirmed it, haven't seen it then )

jN0Mx.png

mr_nothin

Banned
Sethos said:
Someone was talking about the US using the AKS-74U and it might have been exclusive to the build or possibly unlocked later, here's the confirmation, high-rank unlock;

( Sorry if he already confirmed it, haven't seen it then )

jN0Mx.png
Earlier he said once you max out a class, you can start working towards unlocking weapons from the other faction(I'm guessing only for that specific class)

LordCanti

That guy was doing well, until he crashed into the ground. Please, if you are this guy, don't take the jet. Okay? Are we good? Do we have an understanding?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom