• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserBecks

n0n44m said:
does 1080p actually look that bad when it's downscaled on the 27" ?

( I'm using a 32" 1080p Samsung TV at ~60 cm/2feet distance )

Not really, but there is a noticeable difference when you're used to having 2560x1440. I guess it's comparable to having a 1080p monitor and switching to 720p resolution. Not the end of the world, but it can be annoying.

I have a Dell u2711 and a i5 2500k + a gtx 570. I don't expect BF3 to run with max details and 60fps at my monitor's native resolution (which isn't a problem for Bad Company 2), so I guess I'll use my Dell wa2209 (1680x1050) until nvidia releases a gtx670 or something comparable. Upgrading to a 580 right now doesn't make sense to me.

But to be honest, I wouldn't worry that much. DICE specifically said they weren't releasing the system requirements until they're pretty done with the game in order to prevent people from buying expensive hardware beforehand.

gibon3z said:

Urgs, that sucks. C4 should be available to all classes (as soon as you're using a universal gun), just like in Bad Company 2. Now I can't build a Spec Op (Recon+SMG+C4) :(

I hope they're releasing the final details regarding class-layouts soon.

Smokey said:
Plenty of people buy the 590, in fact it's done much better than Nvidia thought. You just happen to be on GAF where not everybody is willing to plunk down $700 for a card.

?

Shit still tears

Tearing is far less pronouned on 120hz monitors because the next available frame is half the time away. I don't use vsync on my 120hz monitor either.

Dina

Sethos said:
I can't wait to harass pilots with Stingers and everything else that shoots down a plane <3

OD9Aj.jpg

Me too. Stinger/IGLA, bitches. What sucks is that you can't equip a launcher vs ground vehicles with your Stinger, but whatever.

Smokey

WHOAguitarninja said:
Tearing is far less pronouned on 120hz monitors because the next available frame is half the time away. I don't use vsync on my 120hz monitor either.
I have a Asus 3d 120 hz monitor. In crysis 2 without vsync on the tearing is horrible and very noticeable.

Arucardo

Smokey said:
I have a Asus 3d 120 hz monitor. In crysis 2 without vsync on the tearing is horrible and very noticeable.
Heh, I was going to bring this up as an example but I think the game defaults to 60hz when you start it with v-sync off. When you enable v sync and disable it again there seems to be less tearing, maybe it's just me though.

Sethos said:
Wouldn't you also need to vsync lock at 120fps instead of 60 to completely remove tearing on a 120hz monitor?
It does.

Smokey

Sethos said:
Wouldn't you also need to vsync lock at 120fps instead of 60 to completely remove tearing on a 120hz monitor?
This was my understanding.

I have to have vsync on. I cannot tolerate tearing.

"Heh, I was going to bring this up as an example but I think the game defaults to 60hz when you start it with v-sync off. When you enable v sync and disable it again there seems to be less tearing, maybe it's just me though."

Maybe. I just happen to have the game up so that's why I used it as an example.

Arucardo

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
I was playing TF2 on a 120hz sony 46 inch with Vsync off...u wanna talk about nasty? I turned that ish on immediately.
Does it actually receive 120hz signal (hdmi 1.4 or a dual link DVI) or just upscale regular 60hz? (my plasma can scale it to 600hz) which is basically useless imo, it just makes the motion look weird.

Easiest way to know: Is the tv 3D capable?

Arucardo said:
Does it actually receive 120hz signal (hdmi 1.4 or a dual link DVI) or just upscale regular 60hz? (my plasma can scale it to 600hz) which is basically useless imo, it just makes the motion look weird.

Easiest way to know: Is the tv 3D capable?

nope LCD its a KDL-W series.

Manager

Nostalgia~4ever said:
I am a bit worried. DICE is running out of time, and they still have a lot to fix. They cant afford to delay it either.

Has there ever been a Battlefield game without a game 1 patch?

Xux

Nostalgia~4ever said:
I am a bit worried. DICE is running out of time, and they still have a lot to fix. They cant afford to delay it either.

Lookin' forward to the second beta on October 25th.

Sethos

Banned
dragonelite said:
Btw Dice tech slides for frostbite 2.0 from siggraph 2011.
Talks a bit about the 360 version of the engine at the end.
http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/five-rendering-ideas-from-battlefield-3-need-for-speed-the-run

Looks like the dreaded HBAO returns :p I remember turning that off in BC2 and my performance doubled and I just couldn't tell the difference in IQ. Maybe the stuff we've heard about 50fps circa on a 580 is with HBAO on? I'd disable that in a heartbeat.

Guys, remember those jet impressions are roughly translated from a German site. They've already said that jets are faster than they were in BF2.

That jet gameplay is awesome, loving the field of view and maneuverability.

RibbedHero said:
I'm going to post this again after all this talk about getting 60fps on an 580:

Does anyone else not really need 60fps? I have a pretty average build, but I'd rather have all the bells and whistles on and get 40fps than turn it down to medium and get 60fps.

For me, the difference in fps (from 40 to 60) is less noticeable than the increase in graphical fidelity.

Normally, I'm okay with 30+. But I want to run this at 60+
grin.gif

KaiserBecks said:
Urgs, that sucks. C4 should be available to all classes (as soon as you're using a universal gun), just like in Bad Company 2. Now I can't build a Spec Op (Recon+SMG+C4) :(

I hope they're releasing the final details regarding class-layouts soon.

C4 was only available to Recon and Assault in BC2.

And since SMG's are all class weapons, you can technically still do the build you want...it just won't be the actual Recon class.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, since this is the only game coming out this fall that I'm not concerned with spoilers for all I've been doing is sucking down every ounce of info I can get. Gamescom had way more info than I expected, particularly the full list of weapons and unlocks. It's a good thing Deus Ex is coming out on Tuesday since I need something to break my addiction to BF3 news. Once the beta hits it's all over though.

Raide

Nostalgia~4ever said:
this means rush on caspian and conquest at metro. cool.

I guess Conquest on Metro means having the hole already blown out. Really interested to see how it plays out for Conquest.

Sethos said:
Looks like the dreaded HBAO returns :p I remember turning that off in BC2 and my performance doubled and I just couldn't tell the difference in IQ. Maybe the stuff we've heard about 50fps circa on a 580 is with HBAO on? I'd disable that in a heartbeat.

If this is so, you just made my day buddy. Excite!

Xux

Nostalgia~4ever said:
this means rush on caspian and conquest at metro. cool.

Wake Island looks like it'd be perfect for Rush.

Dakota47 said:
And good news. It took DICE too long to make all maps playable for all modes in BC2.

Haha, the annoying part is that they still haven't!

bigboss370 said:
no C4 for recon? well thats balls, what else are they supposed to do then other than snipe?

Reconnaissance.

Pete Rock

Bullet drop on all weapons? That's huge news, very excited to hear that. It always felt weird having to compensate at range with a scoped sniper rifle, miss and get a body shot, only to pull out your secondary and use it like a hitscan weapon to finish them off.

All modes on all maps is even more awesome, this is sounding better every day!

Pete Rock said:
Bullet drop on all weapons? That's huge news, very excited to hear that. It always felt weird having to compensate at range with a scoped sniper rifle, miss and get a body shot, only to pull out your secondary and use it like a hitscan weapon to finish them off.

All modes on all maps is even more awesome, this is sounding better every day!
With the longer map distances, hopefully there will be noticeable range/damage drop offs between battle rifles, assault rifles, carbines, and smg's.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sethos said:
Will say this was back on my 4870x2, so not sure how it reacts now.

I find the difference to be extremely negligible in bc2 so I always run with hbao off, even if I have the horsepower to run with it on.

mr_nothin

Banned
Sethos said:
SSAO looks too good to be turned off. It's really subtle but has a big impact, for me. Adds so much more depth to the scene.

F#A#Oo said:
Is it true that the back to Karkand is an expansion pack and thus a seperate mode in itself?
"All pre-orders of the Limited Edition will grant access to the "Back to Karkand" DLC pack, a reference to the "Strike at Karkand" map (a popular BF2 map), to include four maps and several weapons and vehicles brought over from Battlefield 2. The maps from the expansion pack will be: Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island and Sharqi Peninsula."

-wikipedia

Also should be noted that everyone who pre-orders is getting the limited edition I believe. Doesn't make it a 100% clear though.

Kyaw

Waait a second, HBAO is BC2's SSAO right?

I didn't get any performance boost at all by disabling it. 80+ fps all the time though.

Sethos

Banned
mr_nothin said:
SSAO looks too good to be turned off. It's really subtle but has a big impact, for me. Adds so much more depth to the scene.

I'm just glad I can turn that shit off.

On another note, just tried BC2 again despite hating the game with a passion ... Oh god, it's so much worse than I remember. The white that just covers everything, can't see past 200m and it goes completely white. Turning off bloom doesn't really solve that, seems to be some sort of crappy effect. Oh and the hit detection, GOD! Found a server with an 11 ping close to me, took my M107 and fuck me, I saw blood sprays from people I hit running and no kills, not even a hit marker.

Give me BF3, now please :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom