• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
LordCanti said:
That guy was doing well, until he crashed into the ground. Please, if you are this guy, don't take the jet. Okay? Are we good? Do we have an understanding?

Thank you.

Give to someone like me that drops down 5 meter after take off.

I'm going to post this again after all this talk about getting 60fps on an 580:

Does anyone else not really need 60fps? I have a pretty average build, but I'd rather have all the bells and whistles on and get 40fps than turn it down to medium and get 60fps.

For me, the difference in fps (from 40 to 60) is less noticeable than the increase in graphical fidelity.

Sethos

Banned
RibbedHero said:

Does anyone else not really need 60fps? I have a pretty average build, but I'd rather have all the bells and whistles on and get 40fps than turn it down to medium and get 60fps.

For me, the difference in fps (from 40 to 60) is less noticeable than the increase in graphical fidelity.

I'd much rather have 60FPS in a competitive multiplayer environment. Can live with 40-50 in Single-Player but multiplayer definitely needs 60, I will be turning down settings for that and hopefully crank up settings for single-player.

I hope it's possible to set it separately.

When I'm being shot at, hiding behind walls, my screen exploding and I'm pumped I rarely notice the extra AF or the tiny bit smoother edges.

Arucardo

I'm not that bothered by small drops below 60fps since I don't need V-sync for my monitor (120Hz) and BC2 averages 100+ fps with everything maxed out (looks amazing in motion) after I upgraded to a 2500K i5 so I'm fairly confident about BF3 performance.

LordCanti

RibbedHero said:

I don't need 60fps as much as I need low latency from the server I'm on. I can still destroy opponents at 30fps, but I can't do it at 200 ping.

supersaw

RibbedHero said:

I think it's a matter of consistency if it's a solid 40-50 with no dips you don't really notice the difference but if we're talking max 50 and dips as low as 25 I get agitated and start sucking more.

Xux

Sethos said:
Someone was talking about the US using the AKS-74U and it might have been exclusive to the build or possibly unlocked later, here's the confirmation, high-rank unlock;

( Sorry if he already confirmed it, haven't seen it then )

jN0Mx.png

Ooh, nice. Looks like I will be platinuming some RPK; promised it 1,000 more kills in a game where it isn't subpar after I shamefully gave up it's top spot on my Combat Record to an automatic AR. :(

Would like to see some footage of the chopper. Preferably someone being able to land it on a crane (or some other tricky landing area). ;-) Managed to do this in BF2 and felt like I was a chopper king! Seriously, the handling of the jet and choppers in BF2 was well done, once you learnt how to use them. Cant wait to try them out in BF3!

And I hope my 6970 will be enough to run it in hig res at a decent frame rate.

RS4-

Going to be playing Highway to the Dangerzone every time I get into a plane. And get road kills with it.

And leave my mic on.

jaaz

BrainZEROX said:
WAT????? Seriously? ô_O

How is Dice even going to balance that?

Edit> was it a Gamescom "for demo purpose only" setting?

They should make you land on the airfield to refuel. That's the fair way to do it, and it wouldbe cool as hell to boot.

Soi-Fong

ColonialRaptor said:
I doubt SLI 580's is going to be able to run ultra at 1080p at 60fps+ at all times with 8xAA as well.

I know that's putting it harshly, but I don't think I'm being unrealistic.

SLI of the next round of graphics cards from Nvid, that's probably going to be sufficient (I'm talking with 8xAA here as well mind you.

What it's going to take to run at 2560 and 2 or 4x AA is hurting my butt pocket at the moment.

My two 6970's are going to be crying when it comes to launch, because I must play this game at 2560x1440 with at least 2xAA and I would be more happy with 4xAA and I will do whatever it takes to do it.

But - I don't know if there will be anything on the market that will do so when the game launches... so I'm worried.

I mean - I could plonk in two 6990's but that's a bit excessive and would also probably require a mobo and CPU upgrade as well, and I'm not going to do that until the 2011 chipset and CPU's come out.

So... I think I'm in a bit of a bind and don't know what to do because I think 2560 is going to be the wild card that isn't runnable... perhaps two 580's will do it... maybe, but if it's going to take two 580's to do it at 1920x1080 what the heck is it going to take to do it at 2560?

I've been recently considering downgrading my monitor from the 27" iMac that I use as my Monitor at the moment to a 24" but I don't think I can handle losing the pixel density and image quality. I mean, I ended up playing the Alpha on my 24" Dell 2410 at 1920 and my setup ran it at 100+ fps pretty much the whole time, and while that was very good it doesn't even compare to the 27" iMac screen.

There is no real other option other than this screen... I don't believe Apple has a 24" iMac available any more, and the older ones were 16x10.

I think there's also the possibility of using the older 24" Apple Cinema Display as a monitor which is a possibility but it's not got the pixel density of the 27".

Oh... what to do :/

Heh... doubt it - see my comments above :/

I think you're in the way minority though since I'm pretty sure for most of us, 1080p and 60fps will be completely fine. If I can get my computer to run what I saw in the Casbian Border trailer at 1080p plus 60fps, then I'm a happy camper and I'll have no complaints whatsoever.

I'm not really digging the jet crash. With all of Dice's experience with terrain deformation, that jet crash should at least leave a crater.

Aside from that, an idea just popped into my mind. I'd love a gamemode at which just one player from each time gets to fly the jets (based on flying skill/ exp) and dogfight, while the rest fights on the ground. The objective of the game beeing to take down the enemy jet and retrieve the blackbox. The air unit would dogfight, the ground units would capture AA guns, conquest style.

I'd like to play that :)

LordCanti

Calibur said:
Will Battlefield 3 have a off-line and online Multiplayer split-screen play option?

I could be wrong (which is always a possibility, I guess), but I don't think it has local split screen.

It does have online co-op, but not "split screen". You'd get a screen, and the other guy would get a screen.

Stallion Free said:
Dice balanced it by making them slow and easy targets for shooting down apparently.
Based on my personal Battlefield 2 experience this is game breaking news... I didn't think it was possible but it seems worse than BF2 to me. It's time for me to leave the hype train then :/

Sethos

Banned
BrainZEROX said:
Based on my personal Battlefield 2 experience this is game breaking news... I didn't think it was possible but it seems worse than BF2 to me. It's time for me to leave the hype train then :/

Oh please, don't go all drama until you actually know the details. The missiles will probably have a decade long reload time and the Gatling guns are probably useless against ground targets.

1-D_FTW

HollovVpo1nt said:
I'm not really digging the jet crash. With all of Dice's experience with terrain deformation, that jet crash should at least leave a crater.

Aside from that, an idea just popped into my mind. I'd love a gamemode at which just one player from each time gets to fly the jets (based on flying skill/ exp) and dogfight, while the rest fights on the ground. The objective of the game beeing to take down the enemy jet and retrieve the blackbox. The air unit would dogfight, the ground units would capture AA guns, conquest style.

I'd like to play that :)

Actually sounds a hundred times better than Rush mode. This is a real BF mode.

Stallion Free said:
Dice balanced it by making them slow and easy targets for shooting down apparently.

Based on your watching the trailer, I assume?

DICE have said they're faster than in BF2, and, more importantly, people who played it at GC claim they're faster than the trailer would suggest.

In the clips where they appear slow they were probably going slow so they wouldn't just zip across the screen in the footage.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Giriath_89 said:
Based on your watching the trailer, I assume?

DICE have said they're faster than in BF2, and, more importantly, people who played it at GC claim they're faster than the trailer would suggest.

In the clips where they appear slow they were probably going slow so they wouldn't just zip across the screen in the footage.
No, based on what someone actually said after playing the game at Gamescom.

Stallion Free said:
No, based on what someone actually said after playing the game at Gamescom.

Hmm, I guess people got varied impressions then, since some have said they're fast. I guess that's to be expected, with so little time to play.

I really hope they're not too slow and easy to destroy from the ground. It shouldn't be so hard to change if they are, though.

Sethos

Banned
Giriath_89 said:
Hmm, I guess people got varied impressions then, since some have said they're fast. I guess that's to be expected, with so little time to play.

I really hope they're not too slow and easy to destroy from the ground. It shouldn't be so hard to change if they are, though.

Take everything Stallion says with some massive truckloads of salt, he's just here trolling and have been since day one. He's not very fond of BF3. Plenty of negativity to go around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sethos said:
Take everything Stallion says with some massive truckloads of salt, he's just here trolling and have been since day one. He's not very fond of BF3. Plenty of negativity to go around.
Someone said they shot down jets twice with a helicopter (how easy can jets be to track?) and that jets were dull. Take that with a truckload of salt.

Sethos

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Someone said they shot down jets twice with a helicopter (how easy can jets be to track?) and that jets were dull. Take that with a truckload of salt.

And then we automatically dismiss the other people who said something different, let's focus on the statement that makes it sound as bad as possible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sethos said:
And then we automatically dismiss the other people who said something different, let's focus on the statement that makes it sound as bad as possible.
I'm sharing the only impression on them I read, shown to me by Mr. Snrub in this very thread.

Sethos

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I'm sharing the only impression on them I read, shown to me by Mr. Snrub in this very thread.

You're just here to shit on the game. You've been trolling at every turn possible, so your agenda is quite clear. You do a hit'n'run every time you get to take a dig and then you stay out until you are ready to pounce with something again. So you acting innocent won't do you much good.

Oddly enough I've even received PMs about you ( And this was over 2 weeks ago )

XhXSK.png

So other people seem to notice it as well. I didn't reply to it because I didn't want to start anything as I used to respect you but now it's just the final straw. Keep the shit in the garbage thread as you're already doing quite splendidly, not here.

Smokey

LordCanti said:
Been out for awhile. It's just always low stock everywhere. Same with the 6990. No one buys them (pretty much) so they don't produce a whole lot of them.

They'd much rather sell you two 580's for a grand, than a 590 for $700.

Plenty of people buy the 590, in fact it's done much better than Nvidia thought. You just happen to be on GAF where not everybody is willing to plunk down $700 for a card.

Arucardo said:
I'm not that bothered by small drops below 60fps since I don't need V-sync for my monitor (120Hz) and BC2 averages 100+ fps with everything maxed out (looks amazing in motion) after I upgraded to a 2500K i5 so I'm fairly confident about BF3 performance.

?

Shit still tears

Kyaw

SirButterstick said:
One thing I'm really digging . . . Flying into the sun to blind your pursuers vision. This is a real world tactic, and I like it!

It also blinds your vision.

According to Demize, BF3 is the most balanced battlefield they've done.

Stallion Free said:
I'm sorry, but how is relaying impressions in regards to the way in which a jet is balanced in the game fit for an MW3 vs. BF3 thread?
Just ignore him, hes a blubbering fanboy who gets mad every time someone has a comment on a game he likes.

I'm surprised nobody else is super excited about the inclusion of man portable mortars.

Being able to provide squad level artillery support sounds insanely fun and complex, complexity is good.

More importantly it means recon no longer has their cheezy magic binoculars that drops shells on a target after 1 second.

Sethos

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Just ignore him, hes a blubbering fanboy who gets mad every time someone has a comment on a game he likes.

I was wondering when my stalker would show up, haha.

gibon3z said:
I'm surprised nobody else is super excited about the inclusion of man portable mortars.

Being able to provide squad level artillery support sounds insanely fun and complex, complexity is good.

More importantly it means recon no longer has their cheezy magic binoculars that drops shells on a target after 1 second.

I doubt it's very complex, should be very fun but I currently have my doubts how much and how well it will be used. I'm all for coordinated attacks with mortars, artillery, airstrikes and the likes but it rarely ever pans out very smoothly if at all in public games :(

Kyaw

gibon3z said:

My laser target designator for jet missile > your portable mortar. :p

LordCanti

The jets looked fine in the trailer. With a limited area of operation, the choices were either to make them really fast (and unwieldy) or slightly slower and more maneuverable. The guy in the clip seems like a complete novice (no kills, didn't even get close to really hitting anything) and he still seemed to manage some nice aerial acrobatics. Add a joystick, and it should be pretty easy to keep helicopters from bringing you down.

Not that I think heli's should even have the ability to bring a jet down, mind you... but it is what it is.

Stallion Free said:
I'm sorry, but how is relaying impressions in regards to the way in which a jet is balanced in the game fit for an MW3 vs. BF3 thread?

Dice said jets are slightly faster than BF2. Why would they lie? They can make them as fast as possible you know, but hey let them zip through the landscape and own every living thing on the ground. That is bad balance, no one would like to drive a tank.

Sethos

Banned
LordCanti said:
Not that I think heli's should even have the ability to bring a jet down, mind you... but it is what it is.

Then again, it's not uncommon for helicopters to be equipped with sidewinders. I definitely think helicopters should have the ability to shoot down jets, the game needs to be within a balance - Imagine a slow helicopter that is seriously vulnerable from both the ground with the new portable AA possibilities AND jets hovering above? Nobody would touch a helicopter.

I just think it's weird people are judging so many balance aspects based off gameplay from a public event where random people could almost walk in off the street and start playing, no idea what kind of skill or experience any of the other players have. So one guy could be a top-tier competitive FPS player and annihilate everyone, that wouldn't be any indication of the balance.

Plus, jets are probably the hardest to master and planes in general, giving them to random people and they probably won't do well at all. I'll reserve judgement until the Beta hits and hopefully we get the Caspian Border map and we see people actually get skilled with every weapon and vehicle, THEN we can get worried when X does terrible and Y is too overpowered.

Soi-Fong said:
I think you're in the way minority though since I'm pretty sure for most of us, 1080p and 60fps will be completely fine. If I can get my computer to run what I saw in the Casbian Border trailer at 1080p plus 60fps, then I'm a happy camper and I'll have no complaints whatsoever.

Yeah I am way minority I know that, but doesn't change the fact that I'm in a bind and don't have a way out :/

n0n44m

ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah I am way minority I know that, but doesn't change the fact that I'm in a bind and don't have a way out :/

does 1080p actually look that bad when it's downscaled on the 27" ?

( I'm using a 32" 1080p Samsung TV at ~60 cm/2feet distance )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom