• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Snipers will have Scope Reflection & Sway

Sounds pretty good to me. It'll make being a sniper even more difficult. Does scope sway reduce if you are not prone?

DICE hate campers: Scope sway, scope reflection, bullet drop, etc. Maybe now they can up the damage of sniper rifles a little.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
&Divius said:
Good stuff. I also hope they somehow limit the amount of snipers allowed per team. Sometimes when I'm in the attacking group I see we have like 9 or 10 snipers, which is bullshit and kills the game.

There are a few BC2 servers which have a limit for snipers. Per team only 2-4 snipers. Those are the best servers.

the thing is sniping has always been hard in battlefield, bf2 the hit detection was so bad no one even played sniper. BFBC2 had crazy bullet drop but that didn't prevent half the team to snipe =/.

angelfly

I for one am not happy with news. Snipers are supposed to be fucking campers and if you're a good sniper your not going to stay in the same position after a couple of kills. Snipers are not run and gun like other classes. Gimping them like that is just stupid IMO.

Biff

A competent sniper can single-handedly hold a conquest point by himself, leaving the other 31 teammates to press forward.

Snipers are an integral part to the BF series when used properly. The proposed tweaks are awesome just for pure realism. Reflections have been a _huge_ issue for sniper teams in Afghanistan due to the insane amount of sunlight.

Only issue now is whether there will be bipods. If yes, then it'll render the sway deterrent ineffective. If no, then it's counterproductive to their claims of realism.

angelfly said:
I for one am not happy with news. Sniper are supposed to be fucking campers and if your a good sniper your not going to stay in the same position after a couple of kills. Snipers are not run and gun like other classes. Handy capping them like that is just stupid IMO.

And damn does that sound good on paper.

But it's not practical, as half the team wants to be a sniper.

Heysoos

Technosteve said:
the thing is sniping has always been hard in battlefield, bf2 the hit detection was so bad no one even played sniper. BFBC2 had crazy bullet drop but that didn't prevent half the team to snipe =/.

It wasn't really that hard in BC2, to be completely honest. :/ Even with the bullet drop. In fact, bullet drop actually kind of help me take out people that weren't completely visible, because they were behind a rock, etc. With the bullet drop it made it possible to take out these snipers.

Sn4ke_911

ChefRamsay said:
A competent sniper can single-handedly hold a conquest point by himself, leaving the other 31 teammates to press forward.

Snipers are an integral part to the BF series when used properly. The proposed tweaks are awesome just for pure realism. Reflections have been a _huge_ issue for sniper teams in Afghanistan due to the insane amount of sunlight.

Only issue now is whether there will be bipods. If yes, then it'll render the sway deterrent ineffective. If no, then it's counterproductive to their claims of realism.

Snipers to get bipods in Battlefield 3

Kyaw

TheListener said:
Sounds pretty good to me. It'll make being a sniper even more difficult. Does scope sway reduce if you are not prone?

DICE hate campers: Scope sway, scope reflection, bullet drop, etc. Maybe now they can up the damage of sniper rifles a little.

The damage is fine the way it is in BC2.

One headshot kill and two or three shots to the body. As long as the hit detection is good... which is never the case with DICE games...

RS4-

catotheyounger said:
Great news. I use a 4X scope on my .50cal anyhow.

I can't stand any of the scopes; always ran with the extra ammo instead.

I hope Dice handicaps some of the other classes as well.

Raide

bluedeviltron said:
Knowing Dice, both of these will be patched out by 1.2.

Once 90% of the BC2 wookies cry about not being able to sit at the back and get 50 kills, DICE will patch it.

I am all for it. Get people off the back line and into the actual combat. The Metro map shown does not look sniper friendly, so sitting at the back of the map waiting for hapless fodder just won't cut it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Freki said:
sway can stay - but reflections have to go...

Reflections can stay. But sway has got to go. No need for that bullshit with bullet dropping being in the game.

Legato.Reborn- said:
"hmmm, i think i just saw a light flash over the- *ZING*"

"OH SHIT SNIPER!!! SUPPRESSIVE FIRE!!!!"

"SUPPORT KEEP HIM LOCKED DOWN, TEAM -- FLANK LEFT! GOGOGO!"

This utopian fantasy was brought to you by "nevergoingtohappen INC"

while reality will have your team consist of snipers, eating chips close to their mics and ask how to look down again.

No matter how much Snipers are going to be nerfed, most people using them now do so, because they think themselves being elite snipers with massive skills, despite their 0.1 kD ratios.

Arnie

As long as sway is removed entirely when using a bipod then this is a great move. Sniping has always been a little easy in Battlefield. Bullet drop is a great skill differentiator but I feel adding sway to the mix too is perfect for allowing only the most gifted snipers to succeed, providing the hit detection is up to scratch (see: Battlefield 2, urgh).

Plus hopefully the difficulty will put off those vast amounts of wookies who see it as their go to gun and strategy.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its that sort of adversity that will make headshots that much more satisfying. As a sniper I don't mind these challenges.

Hopefully hit detection is also more tight instead of a "box"

Raide said:
Once 90% of the BC2 wookies cry about not being able to sit at the back and get 50 kills, DICE will patch it.

I am all for it. Get people off the back line and into the actual combat. The Metro map shown does not look sniper friendly, so sitting at the back of the map waiting for hapless fodder just won't cut it.

Lol, watch people sit at the edge of that map sniping. 50 kills... I've yet to see a sniper that gets 50 kills by camping at the edge of a map. Usually the guys with the highest scores aren't the ones with the M95 digital dick replacement.

DryvBy

Cheech said:
Well done DICE. IMO sniping doesn't really have much place in Battlefield, but this is a good way to offset jerk behavior.

This doesn't make sense at all. Snipers are really in battlefields. The real issue is they should be limited like they do in Day of Defeat: Source. Two snipers per team.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
angelfly said:
I for one am not happy with news. Sniper are supposed to be fucking campers and if your a good sniper your not going to stay in the same position after a couple of kills. Snipers are not run and gun like other classes. Gimping them like that is just stupid IMO.

Typical sniper grammar.

Sn4ke_911

Btw. you should listen to the podcast. Some interesting stuff there. For example, Matros explains how knife kills work. Why we have a quick and a equip knife. You can get dogtags only by using the equipped knife and if i remember correctly stabbing a guy from the front isn't a one hit kill and you don't get his dogtag. From behind is one hit and there is a special animation.

Raide

Sn4ke_911 said:
Btw. you should listen to the podcast. Some interesting stuff there. For example, Matros explains how knife kills work. Why we have a quick and a equip knife. You can get dogtags only by using the equipped knife and if i remember correctly stabbing a guy from the front isn't a one hit kill and you don't get his dogtag. From behind is one hit and there is a special animation.

As long as they sort the hit detection with knife kills, all will be good. :D

boris feinbrand said:
This utopian fantasy was brought to you by "nevergoingtohappen INC"

while reality will have your team consist of snipers, eating chips close to their mics and ask how to look down again.

No matter how much Snipers are going to be nerfed, most people using them now do so, because they think themselves being elite snipers with massive skills, despite their 0.1 kD ratios.

It doesn't happen in pubs.

And I don't play in pubs. :)

Nome

RdN said:
Great move. Wish IW would do something like this with MW3.

Sniping is a non-problem in Black Ops IMO.

Also, HATE that they're raping snipers like this. It's a PC game. On big maps. There's going to be campers and snipers, get used to it. If you can't deal with sniping, then get yourself in a vehicle or just countersnipe. The only actual gameplay problem sniping causes is when players refuse to play the objective and just chase after headshots.

Scuba_Shneve

Neo Member
SolidSnakex said:
It's hard to actually play as a sniper the right way when games give away your position with killcams.

Yeah, I agree. I did not like it in TF2 and I did not like it in BC2. In TF2, they just switch to spy. In BC2, they just spam nades in your vicinity.

I like the idea of the scope sway, just as I enjoyed the bullet drop in BC2. (i.e. The farther the target is from you, the higher you have to aim above the target because gravity pulls down on the bullet) Both of these are realistic. I do not like the timed scope reflection. I think it should only happen if the light actually does catch the scope at the right angle. So, it could happen right away, in a bit, or it could never happen. It just depends.

Sn4ke_911

Raide said:
As long as they sort the hit detection with knife kills, all will be good. :D

Oh god yes. I agree. That is awful in BC2.

Nome said:
Sniping is a non-problem in Black Ops IMO.

Also, HATE that they're raping snipers like this. It's a PC game. On big maps. There's going to be campers and snipers, get used to it. If you can't deal with sniping, then get yourself in a vehicle or just countersnipe. The only actual gameplay problem sniping causes is when players refuse to play the objective and just chase after headshots.

Because they're not huge maps! :O

Make it so snipers have 0 respawns. Therefore the snipers have some real weight to having to use skill to survive, and there is incentive for fire teams to track them down.

Not sure how I feel about any of this. Swaying controls can be so amazingly annoying and are kind of silly as it's already pretty hard to snipe with bullets dropping and stuff like that. Reflections after a set amount of time? Sounds really dumb. Either make the reflections random/all the time when in the sunlight or something like that, having it reflect when you have been in the same spot for a min or two just sounds silly.

It's not even like sitting still somewhere can't be extremely helpful to the team. Camped a lot in battlefield 2 when I had to and it's a perfectly good strategy instead of running around like an idiot around the control points.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Love reading the angry posts about snipers. We've all been penetrated by the bullet of sniper over and over again at one point or another.

And swaying need to be incorporated nicely. More sway when standing, much less when prone and on your belly. Constant swaying for no reason other than making the class unusable would be idiotic.

Nome

Darkshier said:
Good, nobody likes snipers anyways. Make sniping a pain in the ass and make the class used for what it name entitles, Recon. Seriously, Fuck Snipers and their camping ways. I would go one step farther and kill anyone who stays stationary for more than a few minutes at a time. In a game about capping flags or rushing bases, snipers are unneeded and hurt the team, more than they help.

You know that in Rush, there is a defense team too right? :p
Snipers have a place in the game.

Nome said:
You know that in Rush, there is a defense team too right? :p
Snipers have a place in the game.
Yeah, the best defense is a good offense. Get up there and keep people away from your crates/flags. And I have no problems with a Recon who uses his motion mines and is constantly searching enemies down. When you sit back and camp, you are doing nothing to help the team, even on defense. Recon has a place in the game, snipers don't.

Ezduo

Banned
Technosteve said:
the thing is sniping has always been hard in battlefield, bf2 the hit detection was so bad no one even played sniper.

Depends what server I guess but on Gulf of Oman and Karkand you could always depend on four of five snipers per team. On Oman they usually sat on a hill taking pop shots at the Middle Eastern base or in one of the three beach bases (on rare occasion they parachuted into the Middle Eastern base and killed anyone who tried to get in the chopper or planes) while on Karkand it was more an issue with them spamming claymores. That last bit got annoying quickly, they'd just rush in, plant as many claymores as humanly possible before getting mowed down and by the time they'd respawned at least one person had walked into their damn claymore.

Honesly, as far as Battlefield 3 goes, the biggest changes that need to happen from 2 are the aircraft getting nerfed big time or at least the ability for ground troops to fight back and something to stop people from spamming grenades which at its worst would have four or five people constantly resupplying themselves while throwing an endless stream of grenades onto a point. The amount of times I sat at my death screen staring at a point celebrating the fucking Fourth of July (explosion, pause, explosion, pause, explosion, pause, pause, three explosions in quick succession) was ridiculous. Compared to this snipers are low on my list. Besides, snipers always seemed to be balanced intrinsically by the large nature of the maps in Battlefield 2. There was always so much area to cover and so many ways to attack a situation that unless they were spawn camping or covering a very specific area you rarely had to worry about them. Even when snipers were covering a point I could usually just hide and cap or figure out a way behind them.

In karkand for example it's great to camp on top of buildings around the capture points. It's helpful to the team and the people on the ground that you can not only spot nearly everyone coming but also shoot quite a few. Will suck if your gun suddenly starts reflecting just because you aren't going down from there when you are actually helping a lot.

Top Bottom