• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Snipers will have Scope Reflection & Sway

DryvBy

Darkshier said:
Yeah, the best defense is a good offense. Get up there and keep people away from your crates/flags. And I have no problems with a Recon who uses his motion mines and is constantly searching enemies down. When you sit back and camp, you are doing nothing to help the team, even on defense. Recon has a place in the game, snipers don't.

Yes, they absolutely do. If you can't complain about snipers, you'll complain about something else. "Tanks don't have a place in a war game because I can't fire machine guns into it to blow it up.". Which isn't farfetched for two reasons: 1, it's been complained about before, and 2, because it's not a Pokemon.

Really, the best thing they could do to the BF series is just limit snipers to a few per team instead of everyone being a sniper.

(And I'm not a sniper in these games, by the way. I've invested ALL of my time outside of maybe an hour per class, into assault. Because I like getting tons of kills, quickly.)

DryvBy2 said:
Really, the best thing they could do to the BF series is just limit snipers to a few per team instead of everyone being a sniper.

and this of course will solve itself on pc not to mention admins will be kicking people are complete dicks and not helping.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Nome said:
Sniping is a non-problem in Black Ops IMO.

Also, HATE that they're raping snipers like this. It's a PC game. On big maps. There's going to be campers and snipers, get used to it. If you can't deal with sniping, then get yourself in a vehicle or just countersnipe. The only actual gameplay problem sniping causes is when players refuse to play the objective and just chase after headshots.

They are a non issue in most games.

Gone are the days of the powerful, non-mobile sniper. Those molds had real strategic value. Now snipers are so flexible that they are useless at pretty much everything in every game. Their rifles don't kill fast enough and even pistols can shoot as far as a damn sniper rifle and be lethal in 90% of the shooters out there. They are so weak that it irritates you when they actually get the chance to kill you and it irritates you when you see other people waste time scrapping for a few meaningless kills.

Correction for the OP: Daniel Matros is DICE's Community Manager rather than General Manager.

Also I have no problems with these changes. I'm assuming that if you don't go prone you won't suffer scope reflection or sway so it's just a tradeoff if you decide to go prone rather than crouch. Anything that discourages game-long camping is a beautiful thing.

Great news, but snipers are not the only problem. They need to add more incentives for doing objectives, and remove them for killing, as people do not need incentives to kill people in first person shooters anyway.

I really hope the weapon balance will be improved in BF3. In BC2, the medic weapons for instance seemed pretty ridiculous. Almost infinite ammo in one magazine and accurate enough to kill someone from half across the map. Overall I thought most weapons were too accurate. I suspect this has to do with BC2 being designed for consoles first, PC second.

RedSwirl

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a camper. I'm just not good with up-close combat with human players, but that reaction happens because I wanna be sure I get kills.

What they need to go ahead and do is remove kill/death ratio for all modes except deathmatch. Only award points for objectives, saves, assists, etc. I think that might take away a lot of the reason to camp, or maybe just quarantine all the campers to deathmatch.

soultron

Banned
When the situation calls for it, I will play a Recon in BC2. I try to relocate and maintain forward momentum towards objective as much as I can. Recons can be very effective in Rush by carrying C4 with the extra C4 and explosion damage buff. (I think I'm remembering the loadout options right. It's been a few months.) You drop all of your C4, plant, and then back away. You can then either use the C4 as a defensive mechanism on the M-Comm or you can blow it up right away. It does quite a lot of damage to the M-Comm station, which means you need to infiltrate the objective only twice (IIRC) using this method if you can't actually detonate the timed charge.

So, yeah, I'll still be playing Recon. I've had random people in my squad to tell me to keep playing Recon when they ask other to switch.

This doesn't sound like it will really affect my playstyle too much. But if this keeps terrible people off the class, I'm all for it. Sounds like a positive change and a smart balancing call.

Nome

Sol.. said:
They are a non issue in most games.

Gone are the days of the powerful, non-mobile sniper. Those molds had real strategic value. Now snipers are so flexible that they are useless at pretty much everything in every game. Their rifles don't kill fast enough and even pistols can shoot as far as a damn sniper rifle and be lethal in 90% of the shooters out there. They are so weak that it irritates you when they actually get the chance to kill you and it irritates you when you see other people waste time scrapping for a few meaningless kills.

Great point. The more nerfs snipers receive, the worse the sniper problem actually gets. I'd rather have 5 snipers getting kills but not playing the objective than 5 snipers not getting kills and not playing the objective.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The life of a sniper:

Stand still during every match.
Once a week get a headshot.
Record the headshot...
KEWL xxhackzorSn1p3rAssasinCODxxx L33T SKILLZ YOUTUBE VIDEO !!! LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR !!LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOOUUR!!!

And so much vitriole for snipers here
lol.gif

Sniper/Recon has a place in Battlefield just like the other classes. There've been a NUMBER of times where I was unable to disarm/arm an objective because I got sniped or had mortars called in on me. A decent sniper or two can keep an objective disarmed in Rush.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mr. Snrub said:
And so much vitriole for snipers here
lol.gif

Sniper/Recon has a place in Battlefield just like the other classes. There've been a NUMBER of times where I was unable to disarm/arm an objective because I got sniped or had mortars called in on me. A decent sniper or two can keep an objective disarmed in Rush.
I rock the shotgun when i play as a Recon.
</badass guitar riff>

Fersis said:
I rock the shotgun when i play as a Recon.
</badass guitar riff>

I only go sniper recon if some of my teammates already have a good position overlooking an objective. Shotgun/G3 recon = <3

Also, there IS a breath-holding mechanic for snipers, so you won't just be eternally swaying. It's just like MoH.

DryvBy

Fersis said:
The life of a sniper:

Stand still during every match.
Once a week get a headshot.
Record the headshot...
KEWL xxhackzorSn1p3rAssasinCODxxx L33T SKILLZ YOUTUBE VIDEO !!! LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR !!LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOOUUR!!!

Lol, mostly, but not all the time. My brother is actually skilled with the cheap rifles in that he hardly uses the scope and he runs around like Rambo. Dunno how. But one thing, hardly related, that I always enjoyed in R6: Vegas was playing with sniper scopes on a shotgun. :)

Sounds like a nice addition. I enjoy playing Recon in BC2. Pushing forward while also seeking out the objective and players from a distance is how I tend to play. Seeing snipers stand in one spot and throw motion sensors just in their area is the worse.

Well I hope you people will be happy when half of your team ends up picking recon anyway and then being even less useful than they are now.

Lostconfused said:
Well I hope you people will be happy when half of your team ends up picking recon anyway and then being even less useful than they are now.
I am because the other team will also be half useless recon going by that logic.

Crakatak187 said:
I am because the other team will also be half useless recon going by that logic.
As long as you are ok with it.

The only thing that will stop me from playing recon is if DICE removes every single sniper rifle and rifle from the game.

steadfast

The best recon players I've played with in BC2 have been on the middle-lines with the medics. Setting up near an ammo box and spamming the fuck out of an area with motion mines, planting c4 at high-traffic points and rocking a shotgun to cover the mcom or pretty much any sniper that equips the autospot scope and only shoots if someone is trying to arm/disarm, never really giving away their position and just spots all day.

However, they're good players regardless and tards will still find a way to be a tard even with sway and reflections.

There's a reason half of gamertags in shooters are xXL33T_SNYPZ_420Xx

Don't ever see Xxx_KILLAR_MEDIC_HEALZ4U_xxX

Fuck it, I'm making a new soldier and naming him that, lol.

endlessflood said:
Also I have no problems with these changes. I'm assuming that if you don't go prone you won't suffer scope reflection or sway so it's just a tradeoff if you decide to go prone rather than crouch. Anything that discourages game-long camping is a beautiful thing.

this. i hope reflection and sway don't happen if you're only crouched and not prone.

Anyone complaining that this gimps snipers forgot to read:

Snipers that lay still for a certain amount of time will have a reflection in their scope that will give away their position (appears as a small flash to the enemy).

bigboss370 said:
this. i hope reflection and sway don't happen if you're only crouched and not prone.

Why on earth would you not have sway while crouched, but sway while prone?

Meier

Neuromancer said:
It won't work. No matter how much you nerf it, half of all CoD/Battlefield players think of themselves as elite sniper badasses and will continue to pick sniper classes.
Dunno, snipers are pretty rare in Black Ops since the maps just aren't as conducive and they made one-shot kills rarer since it requires a headshot. It's tough to get off two good shots in a row frequently.

Cday

Banned
Lostconfused said:

I don't see how that's possible considering they were already completely irrelevant to the outcome of any objective based games in the first place.

Marvie_3

Banned
steadfast said:
The best recon players I've played with in BC2 have been on the middle-lines with the medics. Setting up near an ammo box and spamming the fuck out of an area with motion mines, planting c4 at high-traffic points and rocking a shotgun to cover the mcom or pretty much any sniper that equips the autospot scope and only shoots if someone is trying to arm/disarm, never really giving away their position and just spots all day.

However, they're good players regardless and tards will still find a way to be a tard even with sway and reflections.

There's a reason half of gamertags in shooters are xXL33T_SNYPZ_420Xx

Don't ever see Xxx_KILLAR_MEDIC_HEALZ4U_xxX

Fuck it, I'm making a new soldier and naming him that, lol.
I need to change my gamertag to something like that. :lol

Good, sniping should be limited to taking out people in AA turrets and other stationary guns.

N for the love of god take out air strikes for rcon, unless it's like support + rcon synergy or something where it takes a rcon to mark and a support (in the same squad) to call it in.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Non-snipers don't seem to realize why people choose the sniper class. There's a thrill in the cat and mouse aspect that one gets from playing that class instead of run and gunning, helping others or dealing with vehicles. Its obviously not for gaining massive amount of kills since, as already stated, there are better classes for that.

On another note, I hope players in vehicles are susceptible to sniper fire. Its always fun taking out a quickly moving target.

Ostinatto

this will not stop sniper campers

doesnt matter if they have scope reflection, cuz they are always camping from their own base or some other place far away from the action, remember ISLA INOCENTES?

and about the Sway, is only a matter of time for they to get used to it.

pd : i dont like my english too xD

FlyinJ said:
I hate snipers so much. It's not because I hate being killed by them. It's because they do -absolutely nothing- to help with the goals of the map be it conquest or rush.

What they really should do is make the sniper class something you have to earn in-match through completing team goals, and then only allow you to use it for a minute or two.

wait...what? Im cool with the reflection and sway but the recon class defends charges better than any other class. When my teammates plant the charge I call in mortar strikes and snipe enemies who try to defuse while the rest of my team is dead or getting shot at

I really hope we learn about any new features they're adding. I'd love to be able to mark targets for friendly aircraft, for example.

Yaska

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
wait...what? Im cool with the reflection and sway but the recon class defends charges better than any other class. When my teammates plant the charge I call in mortar strikes and snipe enemies who try to defuse while the rest of my team is dead or getting shot at
That is experienced recon player. The average recon players I see usually, is a guy who stands scoped in. Can't call targets, can't even use mortar, and gets one or 2 lucky shots now and then.

JackEtc

Marvie_3 said:
I play the recon class like an assault class. :D
As do I, most of the time. When I do stick back, I get more points for spotting and motion mine assists than I do kills. I'm a pretty good recon if I do say so myself.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Reminds me of that BF2 map where the MEC would just come with snipers in full and basically cover the only side where americans could come from

Good times

Josh7289

angelfly said:
I for one am not happy with news. Snipers are supposed to be fucking campers and if you're a good sniper your not going to stay in the same position after a couple of kills. Snipers are not run and gun like other classes. Gimping them like that is just stupid IMO.
Except the last time there was a "Sniper" class in Battlefield was BF2 in 2005. Since then "Recon" has replaced "Sniper", and has more responsibilities than just being a sniper.

Deadbeat

Banned
Josh7289 said:
Except the last time there was a "Sniper" class in Battlefield was BF2 in 2005. Since then "Recon" has replaced "Sniper", and has more responsibilities than just being a sniper.
Such as C4 and mortaring and motion sensors. The game was better balanced with the 7 classes in bf2 than the 4 classes in bc2 because they now give each class too much power. Unless they do the classes system like 2142 its going to be a mess once again.

Top Bottom