• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: three themed expansion packs announced; 12 million copies

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Probably the first game I will buy dlc for. I love bf3. It kinda sucks we have to wait until June. I'm surprised they didn't start off we did vehicles maps first.

I don't enjoy the CQC on BF3 as much as I do the more open areas, so the first map pack doesn't appeal. The player count isn't high enough imo to make the vehicle-heavy maps as good as they could be, so the second map doesn't appeal either. The best maps on console imo are the ones with the balance in vehicle availability and fighting terrain, like Kharg Island and Operation Firestorm

I think I might skip out on Close Quarters.

Love the game but I rarely ever play TDM and I don't want smaller maps with infantry-only.

The other two sound fine though.

Raide

An entire expansion for CQC? And the first one too?

lol

Well, at least the weapons will work on the old maps! :D

I am not sure CQC is where the strengths of BF3 lie but they are obviously aiming to drag in more CoD players. Like others will say, just sort out the patches and fixes before adding more and more stuff.

Well, at least the weapons will work on the old maps! :D

I am not sure CQC is where the strengths of BF3 lie but they are obviously aiming to drag in more CoD players. Like others will say, just sort out the patches and fixes before adding more and more stuff.

I think DICE chasing COD is a mistake. If their maps are designed well you can have both the open vehicular combat along side the CQC, that's what battlefield is.

I love the BF games because I have that choice of play style.

Although I do love CQ on metro though...mad chaos

Makoto

If there's anything BF3 needed at the moment, it's more infantry-centric maps. Obviously. Obviously. Obviously.

SMH.

pvpness

Well, I already hate the infantry based maps so I'll be passing on the second expansion. I'm there for Armored Kill though.

Was hoping I'd click this thread and find out about 2143. :(

Close Quarters info from BF3 site:

KEY FEATURES

Get plunged into frantic and relentless infantry combat
Check your corners as death can come from any angle
HD destruction lets you reduce entire locales to ruin
Earn new weapons and bring them back to the base game
Complete new assignments and equip unique dog tags
Play in new ways, mixing team play and instant action

The HD Destruction in Close Quarters lets players riddle the environment with bullets, reducing entire locales to ruin. Everything from furniture to plaster can be shot to pieces, and players can see the result of the mayhem as rubble and broken pieces pile up on the floor.

The tight level design and many opportunities for vertical gameplay mean players will need to bring their A game if they want to stay alive in this highly competitive theater of war.

This fall will also bring the expansion pack Battlefield 3: Armored Kill. Featuring all-out vehicle warfare with new tanks, ATV’s, and mobile artillery, it also includes the biggest map in Battlefield history. Come winter, it is time for the fourth expansion pack Battlefield 3: End Game.

Come back next week for the first gameplay trailer and screenshots from Battlefield 3: Close Quarters.

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/close-quarters

I didnt say I cant rape with those clases (though i can play better with support than assault), i just said its a chore, its just not fun.

They are fun when you learn how to fully use them. The engineer is just a beginner class and all around ok one for new folks to use. I have 2 service stars in each class and have had a blast learning how to play each one to it's fullest.

PaNaMa

Banned
I don't see a problem with adding some close quarters content, tho I agree it's not for everyone (myself included). I know near the end of BFBC2 my friends and I would squad up for some team dm once in a while .. but you have to admit, conquest on the snowy town map with the well by the barn..and the snowy back trail.. that was a close quarters conquest map and WAS a hell of a lot of fun. Especially with all the building collapse kills :D

But BF3 has no footsteps right now. No *enemy* footsteps. You can hear yourself and your team mates clomping around, but enemies do not make footsteps sound. Not on PC anyways, haven't tried console. They need to fix this if they're putting in close quarters play - I know they won't, tho.

I'm using Asus Xonar ST w/ Sennheiser 360 headset. I've tried everything from War Tapes 8 speaker virtual surroound to basic head phones 2 channel - enemies do not make footsteps.

Enkidu

Well the first part hasn't any choke points, then the 2nd part has 3, 3rd part has 2? Then it opens up again. I dunno, I've never felt a problem with progressing in that map. 360 version btw.
Sorry, I completely forgot about rush :p I only play conquest myself and Metro is horrible in that mode. In rush it's probably a better map, but the problem then is that you have to play rush ;)

Why couldn't they have split the maps in packs 2 and 3 between each other instead of branding them with meaningless themes? That way each of the two major "camps" of BF3 players get something out of each expansion instead of all or nothing.

I am hesitant when they claim they've made the biggest Battlefield map ever. Remember when they said Operation Firestorm was going to be huge? Yeah, about that...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Kertz tweeted this:

532683384.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So looks to be 32p modes at best. It would be cool if there was a battle happening within an office complex, complete with elevator tunnel/staircase face offs and people crawling through air ducts to control certain rooms on different floors.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sounds like they realized that people like different aspects of the game and are separating those into their own expansions.

I am rather interested in the close quarters expansion.

I'd rather they didn't seperate the themes so much. Maybe do 2 Infantry maps and 2 large-scale vehicle maps in the same pack. Both camps would have a reason to buy it and while one camp might not be big on the other maps in the pack, they wouldn't complain as much as people are going to now.

Everdred

Why are people complaining that the game is getting no support when they are working on releasing one of the largest patches i have seen for a FPS?

first gameplay video of Battlefield 3 Close Quarters:

http://youtu.be/Neq7LFDJxNg?t=40s

I'm calming down now.

This looks interesting and fun. Still sucks that we have to wait untiI June for COD sized maps. I wonder how many maps will be in the CQB pack?

Why are people complaining that the game is getting no support when they are working on releasing one of the largest patches i have seen for a FPS?

I wonder if they'll move MCOMs in RUSH and rearrange/add flags in CQ...they need to.

Looks good. Sometimes, I just don't feel like vehicle combat. And none of the original maps really offer much for that itch.

Siene Crossing, Operation Metro, and Grand Bazaar are heavily focused on CQB firefights

TheContact

So I have an i5, gtx460 and 4gb of ram. not the BEST machine, but it's not too bad. I used to be able to play BF3 on High settings with no problem. I could fly fast in jets and my FPS wouldn't drop below 30. I took a break for about a month, and decided to play this game again. The game is so laggy and slow I can't even play. I had to turn my settings down to "Low" and even turned down the resolution to something unbearable and it was STILL lagging. I tried to fly in a chopper and I must have been getting 0.5 fps. I have no idea why this happened but I can't even play BF3 anymore. The only thing I did was update my drivers.

It really sucks because I had a lot of fun with BF3, but ever since Back to Karakand was released, my PC can't seem to handle it anymore.

So I have an i5, gtx460 and 4gb of ram. not the BEST machine, but it's not too bad. I used to be able to play BF3 on High settings with no problem. I could fly fast in jets and my FPS wouldn't drop below 30. I took a break for about a month, and decided to play this game again. The game is so laggy and slow I can't even play. I had to turn my settings down to "Low" and even turned down the resolution to something unbearable and it was STILL lagging. I tried to fly in a chopper and I must have been getting 0.5 fps. I have no idea why this happened but I can't even play BF3 anymore. The only thing I did was update my drivers.

It really sucks because I had a lot of fun with BF3, but ever since Back to Karakand was released, my PC can't seem to handle it anymore.
Mine still runs great, but since B2K, it hasn't been running as well. It sucks because I love this game.

Because this isn't happening until June, and they've been coy on when the next patch is releasing. The last patch was in December. That means it's been at LEAST three months since the game has been patched while you know, certain bugs have persisted without any indication for when they're getting fixed.

on existing maps?

yeah. they did it on at least one RUSH map in BC2.
On White Pass the MCOM's were originally in the houses and they moved some outside after the patch that preceded the release of Harvest Day and Oasis. Before that the attackers could easily win by spamming rockets and mortars to destroy the houses with the MCOM's inside them.

Does anyone here play the TDM in BF3?

In the Bad Company games I loved and played rush all the time but I'm not a fan of rush in BF3, I play CQ pretty much exclusively because you get more points and there's more vehicles.

Got back to BF3 after a long haitus and love the Karkand maps. Hopefully they realize it and make the maps the way they used to be. Infantry Only is going to be FUN!!

EDIT: AHH! Close Quarters are literally close quarters. I was expecting Infantry only madness with lots of rooms (that can be completely leveled down) but also lots of open space. I hope they is loads of open space!

I miss leveling down buildings... :(

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with input lag on the PS3 or maybe because some weapons glitch and are unusable on certain maps. Both issues have been known for months and yet to be resolved.

Siene Crossing, Operation Metro, and Grand Bazaar are heavily focused on CQB firefights

Siene and Bazaar for the most part are not what a person calls CQB. Metro is the only one that really has CQB areas for the most part. From that video of the office battle, now THAT is CQB

U2NUMB

June is crazy long to wait and I would have never guessed that.

But with that said I want that patch ASAP and private servers for console. That would hold me and my friends over even if the next map pack is not what we consider Battlefield.

Dabanton

Why is DICE making a big deal out of Infantry only maps. We can already do it when you go into the server browser and select it.

Caspian in Infantry only servers is quite cool.

Sounds a lot like the BF2 expansions back from the days. I still have them and must admit that I really liked the Special Forces addon - hope they will implement some night vision style levels, hooks and ropes to climb buildings (instead the MAV), etc.

Why is DICE making a big deal out of Infantry only maps. We can already do it when you go into the server browser and select it.

Caspian in Infantry only servers is quite cool.

Point is new maps and made small for actual cqb fights, not big open maps without vehicles.

It's a nice option to have for smaller games, but they really shouldn't have done themed releases and just mixed up the maps so there was variety to please everyone.

June is crazy long to wait and I would have never guessed that.

But with that said I want that patch ASAP and private servers for console. That would hold me and my friends over even if the next map pack is not what we consider Battlefield.

IGN states
On the Battlelog side, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 players will get access to rent-a-server. This is the a feature PC players have had since the launch of Battlefield 3, and now groups of like-minded soldiers can play the customized console matches they want.

cluto

Siene and Bazaar for the most part are not what a person calls CQB. Metro is the only one that really has CQB areas for the most part. From that video of the office battle, now THAT is CQB

Relative to most of the Battlefield 3 maps, I'd call those CQB maps. There's a lot of CQB in the center area of Bazaar and in the buildings on Seine. That's why I like playing those maps the most (on 360), because they feel the least sparse. 24 people is not enough for most of the other maps.

Anyone who says, "that's not Battlefield," needs to deal with it. The infantry combat in Battlefield 3 is really good, so I am very much looking forward to this expansion.

Makoto

It's a nice option to have for smaller games, but they really shouldn't have done themed releases and just mixed up the maps so there was variety to please everyone.
From a business-standpoint, this probably would have been wiser to do. From my standpoint as a consumer, though it sucks to wait a few more months for the vehicular maps I want, at least I don't have to pay $15 (twice) for a map pack where I only care for half the maps. Better to spend $15 once and get all you want.

Top Bottom