• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I bought the game!e yesterday on the ps4 and am loving it so far. As someone new to shooters and feeling ovetwhelmed, I was wondering: Would a strategy guide help me figure things out or are they a waste?

I'd also love to play with smw friendly/fun people. Feel free to add me (whiskeyblues)
Sent!

I was totally lost at first too. To get your sea legs I suggest playing Team Deathmatch for a few days. Don't worry, your soldier progress persists. I hadn't played since 1942 except for a few games of 2142 and this is how I got up to speed.

SJS

I bought the game!e yesterday on the ps4 and am loving it so far. As someone new to shooters and feeling ovetwhelmed, I was wondering: Would a strategy guide help me figure things out or are they a waste?

I'd also love to play with smw friendly/fun people. Feel free to add me (whiskeyblues)

As someone who was new to BF just a month ago, my answer is a resounding "maybe" (and "friend request sent").

There is a ton of bad advice regarding this game because, frankly, the people giving you advice are the same bad kids that play other shooters for the most part. And it sucks because there *are* some truly confusing things about this game, like driving choppers (glad I'm not the only one baffled!)

That said, here's some of the best information to get you started:

- In Battlefield, at no point in time are you fully accurate. The game actually operates on a random bullet dispersion system, and it's your job to increase your probability of hitting someone as much as possible. Ideally, you should be keeping your character as physically still as possible, aiming down the sights, and firing in bursts (even at close-mid range sometimes). Only deviate from this pattern when evading someone or pressing your luck with "spraying" is strategically necessary. (For example, when fighting snipers with a DMR, I find it incredibly useful to move in "bursts" like I would shoot a gun; this gives me more time to attack them than they will get from trying to compensate for my movements.)

- More about Battlefield's gun mechanics: in this game, you are literally shooting bullets and they are represented as projectiles in-game. Practically speaking, this requires you to understand the speed at which your bullets are traveling and the point at which they will begin to drop, especially when you are using a sniper rifle. A combination of knowledge, experience, and skill (and understand that most people are inherently horrible at this, so it's ok to fuck up) will help you be accurate by compensating for the nature of your bullet.

- This website (www.symthic.com) is an incredibly useful tool for understanding the mechanics you will experience with each gun. If you have the time to read the website's BF4 section and fully comprehend it, it is an extremely valuable tool.

- With every class, there is a predefined non-combat role for you to play. You will receive score and generally help out your team by playing it wisely. Assault has you deploy healing bags (the stationary one that others don't pick up is the best) and revive people, Engineer has you heal and destroy vehicles, Support has you drop ammunition, and Recon has you spot people and drop spawn points. There are exceptions to these rules - Recon can use C4s to blow up tanks and Assault has its own way of harassing vehicles if you choose to employ it - but generally, the classes play like that.

- This game is defined by vehicles: start using them. In Rush particularly (but Conquest as well), they need to be used to pressure enemies out of the objective zone and keep them occupied enough to ignore or have an increased chance of losing to allied infantry. A great way to help out a team regardless of your experience level, for example, is to shack up in a tank that's already being driven and be a tank gunner; this will keep you protected from anything that isn't your tank exploding and will give you a relatively easy way to shoot and pressure people in the process.

- The spawning system needs some explanation. You can spawn on your squad members in this game (you can change the squad you're in from the menus, but you're always put in one by default). Potentially, you can spawn inside of their vehicles and / or become able to pressure the enemy in a strategically relevant way by doing this. However, when you attempt this, keep in mind the skill of the ally you are spawning on, the chance of him being attacked fatally, visual warnings that he's already being attacked (these are very obvious), and the benefit of spawning in his location. Also, you can spawn into a new vehicle by moving the left stick to access your deployment zone and thereafter using the right stick to pick a vehicle; this can help you move around faster in spite of poor teammates or begin a game with a way to pressure others.

That covers everything of great importance that I can think of. Kick ass and have fun.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
No rubber banding this weekend
Cool stuff

Megasoum

Banned
Oh...looks like enabling V-Sync fixes the sound loop crash. I've been playing for 15min now on Paracel and Locker and everything is running fine.

Paganmoon

Oh...looks like enabling V-Sync fixes the sound loop crash. I've been playing for 15min now on Paracel and Locker and everything is running fine.

Holy crap... just ran paracel for 10 minutes no crashing... weird as hell, will test out more later... Not that turning on Vsync does anything for my framerate, got 144hz screen so it's still running at variable fps ~70fps... Weird...

For those who play a lot of Recon, do you use the variable zero distance on your scope or not? I'm leaning toward generally not using it and just getting a feel for the bullet drop in this game like I was able to do for BC2.

Paganmoon

Holy crap... just ran paracel for 10 minutes no crashing... weird as hell, will test out more later... Not that turning on Vsync does anything for my framerate, got 144hz screen so it's still running at variable fps ~70fps... Weird...

Ok, after some more testing, this doesn't seem to work, still crash after a few minutes, when it worked must've been just pure luck for me.
I'm going back to my tried and tested method of finding servers without those three maps.

Good lord, if you like bullets in your back, domination is the way to go. Conversely, its good for getting knifes (and hopefully, knifing ribbons).

For those who play a lot of Recon, do you use the variable zero distance on your scope or not? I'm leaning toward generally not using it and just getting a feel for the bullet drop in this game like I was able to do for BC2.
It's better for getting a feel for distances on maps until you know them by heart. i.e., I know that B > C on Dam CQ is ~200m. I tend to find most caps are at least 200, apart.

Otherwise, if you don't want to waste an attachment slot but can afford to waste an equipment one, you can always equip the PLD goggles and manually gauge distances that way.

---

So, a word on the zero health bug. I am a purveyor of many theories regarding it, so I shall place them here.

Now thing I've noticed is that it seems to be consistent among players. If Player A kills me with zero health, I find every time I die to him the future, he usually has zero health. This makes me think that it is latency based. In fact, the zero health bug might be a result of them eliminating death trading. So thanks for that, complainers.

Other times, I've noticed my opponent will have zero health when they kill me much faster than I expected, like all their bullets arrived in one packet or they pulled a OHK on me. Either way.

Acorn

Nah, I did for a while but it just ended up throwing my aim off. It's an extra step that you can more finely adjust with a missed shot.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to get an Obliteration squad going (PS4)? My PSN ID is kittens_dx.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

QCmDEb9.png

Unless you mean the "DICE bodyguard" tag on the right.

Conversely, its good for getting knifes (and hopefully, knifing ribbons).

No, that's Sabo. Stay near the paradrop spawn, make sure they don't see you: Knife them as soon as they land.

Spam the Q button in case there are Mines M2 slams, don't get any spotted, die instantly because there was plenty that wasn't spotted anyway.

Spot a mine M2 slam, spend 30 seconds trying to get it to explode, fail, get out of the tank to disarm it. Teammate steals tank and drives off right to the enemy.

:|

Rizific

no. 8x scope is what i will always and have always used.
Anyone else have the DICE and DICE Dev dog tags unlocked? I've equipped the DICE ones just for trolling reasons.

to my understanding, the only way to get a dice dog tag is to work at dice...or stab an employee who is playing on your server.

http://i.imgur.com/QCmDEb9.png[IMG]

Unless you mean the "DICE bodyguard" tag on the right.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Rizific, post: 101069189"]to my understanding, the only way to get a dice dog tag is to work at dice...or stab an employee who is playing on your server.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/ooQou6C.jpg

You're both right about the DICE one, but I can also equip the Dev and ESN one.

Maddocks

Spam the Q button in case there are Mines M2 slams, don't get any spotted, die instantly because there was plenty that wasn't spotted anyway.

Spot a mine M2 slam, spend 30 seconds trying to get it to explode, fail, get out of the tank to disarm it. Teammate steals tank and drives off right to the enemy.

:|

The spot button has a cool down, so always take your time using it. Probably why it didn't spot.

But when someone stills the tank, that's the worst. They know you got out for a reason....say,"Thank ya!" and drive off and blow up because they didn't bother to think about why you got out in the first place.

Nah, just puts you in base on ps4.
Shame, hopefully they'll add it.
For those of you on the X1, does BF4 use the rumble triggers?

just recently got my system and wanna know if my controller is messed up.
Don't think so, just general controller rumble.
Add Overdoziz and ElarTheBam
Veterans of Battlefield and they can show you the ropes
Elzar is a scrublord tho

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been getting error codes like crazy these past few days where it boots me off from the game. I'm starting to get annoyed. ;/

mitchman

Gold Member
Anyone else have the DICE and DICE Dev dog tags unlocked? I've equipped the DICE ones just for trolling reasons.

Yeah, they're available in the PS4 battlelog only, not from the web or iPad client. I used them for a bit but stopped as it felt like I had painted a big target on my back :)

Stackboy

Played a bunch over the weekend on PC. Sucks that some players are still having so many hardware issues. I have no problems these days.

Second Assault sure is going to be great!!

Bombless

It's a good thing that Titanfall beta is around, I can spend some time off the game and return to it fully on Tuesday to blow up some carriers.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna play on PS4 some more tonight, and I want to get a squad going! 7pm Pacific. I prefer Obliteration or Conquest. PSN = kittens_dx.

chewydogg

Half empty servers with 10 person ques, keep getting "lost connection with server", and when I finally get in all my weapons and rank are reset...

Guess I'll play something else then, DICE.

Iorv3th

All my unlocks disappeared on PS4 tonight. Apparently happening to a lot of people on battlelog. Anyone here suffer the same fate?

watership

All my unlocks disappeared on PS4 tonight. Apparently happening to a lot of people on battlelog. Anyone here suffer the same fate?

DICE server issue. I am getting the same problem on X1. Tried China Rising maps and unlocks are there. Gone from core BF4 servers.

Edit: Also getting super heavy lag on all core game maps. None on Second Assault and China Rising.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I went premium.........I hope I didn't just waste 50 bucks

Depends on your tolerance for the bugs. If you are alright with playing the game, warts and all, it's decent value... kinda.

Top Bottom