• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4: Reveal Trailer At 11 PM PDT, March 26th

Raven77

Dice and EA, whoever, made BF3 look FUGGING amazing in the trailers.

Then the game came out and the maps were small cluster-fugs with VAST wastelands of nothingness around them (read as - wasted potential).

If they try to please EVERYONE again with this, then they can plant their lips right on my well oiled, tanned buttocks.

Naval warfare could be pretty cool. I loved having ships and naval combat in BF1942. It might be disappointing thought if its just shooting off guided missiles everywhere. I miss having manually fired big guns like 1942.

O_O Naval warfare!!

Oh god I hope someone makes a turbo mod for BF4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUOO2dSCio&feature=youtu.be&t=30s

396606-screenshot17.jpg

Just so people realize the scale of the insanity that was BF1942.

GodofWine

So which console version gets the shaft, the PS360 by chugging and being gimped in scale, or the PS4Box in being less than it can be.??

and if Dice get the voip and the seamless ability to play with 6-8 friends (4 man squads with crap voip aint cutting it) then its a total loss.

If they can make that work, and the 720p (which is the equivalent of 1080 at couch viewing distance..so dont start) 60fps rumors are true...take my cash dice.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That's the odd thing about the Sim City debacle.

When it goes shitty it's the publisher, but when it goes good it's the dev.

Why isn't it Maxis's fault that SimCity blows?

Well it depends on what went wrong. People assume shit like always on, dlc, and rushed sequels are the publishers fault. When it's game bugs, art and general gameplay shit we blame developers. I don't see many people blaming SEGA for Aliens.

So which console version gets the shaft, the PS360 by chugging and being gimped in scale, or the PS4Box in being less than it can be.??

and if Dice get the voip and the seamless ability to play with 6-8 friends (4 man squads with crap voip aint cutting it) then its a total loss.

If they can make that work, and the 720p (which is the equivalent of 1080 at couch viewing distance..so dont start) 60fps rumors are true...take my cash dice.

PS360 version will probably suck...PS4Box version along the PC will be the bomb

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
If the carriers are fully controllable like in '42, I wonder how much swearing there will be if they have the same old problem as '42 when somebody tries turning the thing while people are taking off.

KAL2006

Banned
I've said this before I'll say it again. PS4 and 720 will have the best 1st year a console has ever had thanks to being PC architecture and 8GB RAM. Developers can easily shift development to next gen with ease with plenty of developers al ready having future gen engines ready (Cryengine, Unreal, Frostbite and etc). I can imagine PS4 launch window having Killzone Shadowfall, Drive Club, inFamous Second Son, Knack, Battlefield 4, Watchdogs, Destiny, Respawns new game, Rocksteady's next game, Star Wars 1313, Ghost Recon, and etc.

i used to love bf1942 carriers, fuckin thing would be on the opposite side of a map and on fire by the time the tickets ran out.

Fysi

Neo Member
I can't see your image here at work, but if the sub is a twin prop, the rudder is in between the two...hence to the side of the propeller.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying... :)

There are no in-service, modern submarines to my knowledge that are twin prop. All modern subs are single prop because of the radar signature or rather the lack of.

Shadybiz

and if Dice get the voip and the seamless ability to play with 6-8 friends (4 man squad system that only occasionally puts everyone in the same game/team with crap voip aint cutting it) then its a total loss.

Fixed your post for ya, dude!

I never threw away the salt that I had for the atrocious matchmaking system of BF3 on PS3. Did they ever fix it? I gave it about 6 months and gave up.

Edit: And if they decide to go with rent-a-server again, please at least keep a fair amount as DICE servers, or limit the tickets. 400% ticket matches were damned annoying.

demolitio

please have an aircraft carrier Titan Mode.

I think they will just because it makes the most sense with naval combat. Carriers have huge battlegroups protecting them and it really is the job of other ships to ensure that carrier's safety so that game mode would fit right in even in modern naval warfare. There's plenty of ways they could pull it off which is the thing I'm wondering about. Do they have you damage the carrier outright until it sinks or do they have something where you have to take control of an anti-ship missile and fight to launch it at the carrier?

It will truly be amazing if they pull it off. Still curious to see how they do it since naval warfare has evolved quite a bit in weaponry.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fixed your post for ya, dude!

I never threw away the salt that I had for the atrocious matchmaking system of BF3 on PS3. Did they ever fix it? I gave it about 6 months and gave up.

Server List, lrn 2 use dem'

I think they will just because it makes the most sense with naval combat. Carriers have huge battlegroups protecting them and it really is the job of other ships to ensure that carrier's safety so that game mode would fit right in even in modern naval warfare. There's plenty of ways they could pull it off which is the thing I'm wondering about. Do they have you damage the carrier outright until it sinks or do they have something where you have to take control of an anti-ship missile and fight to launch it at the carrier?

It will truly be amazing if they pull it off. Still curious to see how they do it since naval warfare has evolved quite a bit in weaponry.
So many options, would be awesome.
they have to keep that few extra seconds to escape before it explodes. that was always one of my favorite parts.

One of my big complaints with the Battlefield series is they have boats and water vehicles but never design maps to where they are a viable option for anything other than getting somewhere quick. Bad Company is an exception, a few of those maps you could wreck havoc with boats. Was hoping Operation Riverside would change that too, but the river is of no use.

Shadybiz

Server List, lrn 2 use dem'

Oh I know; we had trouble even using that. Pick a server with only 8 or so people currently on? Safe, right? Nope. Might drop you onto different teams (which you sometimes couldn't switch), might drop you into different matches altogether. Sometimes...just sometimes, we'd get into a game together with no effort. Maybe 30% of the time; no exaggeration.

I guess my point is that there really shouldn't have to be an effort. I should just be able to party up with 3 or whatever number of friends, hit "Matchmaking," and be put into a game together. It worked perfectly with BFBC2. Really, I don't think the system ever failed to keep us together in BC2. None of us were able to grasp why it was so terrible for BF3.

Maddocks

One of my big complaints with the Battlefield series is they have boats and water vehicles but never design maps to where they are a viable option for anything other than getting somewhere quick. Bad Company is an exception, of few of those maps you could wreck havoc with boats. Was hoping Operation Riverside would change that too, but the river is of no use.

I agree, in BC2 you could use a boat not to just get from A to B but to bring hell and actually cause a team to start the focus on the boat while the other side would focus on the tank. Thus leaving the middle open.

sadly bf3 is pure use a boat to get A to B, you fire from it you are dead. Its great that they are bringing back awesome boat action.

If this weren't releasing for current gen systems, I'd have more hope of this happening. Not gonna happen, though.

Dreams shattered. You're right, they can't make maps that accommodate 128 players and 24 players. 64 will do, maybe a slight bump to something like 72 or something.

RoKKeR

I'm keeping my expectations low, but there are a lot of great possibilities.

Would be wonderful if they decided to reveal with Multiplayer footage/info. Nobody, and I mean nobody, cares about the singleplayer.

I agree, in BC2 you could use a boat not to just get from A to B but to bring hell and actually cause a team to start the focus on the boat while the other side would focus on the tank. Thus leaving the middle open.

sadly bf3 is pure use a boat to get A to B, you fire from it you are dead. Its great that they are bringing back awesome boat action.
I want a crazy boat action scene like from Sahara to happen during a multiplayer match! And I want to shoot a guy with a flare gun.

I fully expect the taking down a Carrier will be a new "Titan" mode
So hopefully including combat on the carriers as well.

Along from making it the new Titan mode, I always thought it would be cool if there were some rush maps where the final stage you have to take to the see and destroy the m-coms on the enemy carrier.

Dreams shattered. You're right, they can't make maps that accommodate 128 players and 24 players. 64 will do, maybe a slight bump to something like 72 or something.

Yarp. However, my pipe dream includes either (or both):

Mod support
Server side ability to increase max player count

64 players is the hard max for BF3, but you can play most any mode with 64 players, not just conquest. If they gave "unofficial" or custom servers the ability to increase that, on the right maps, it might be fun.

I fully expect the taking down a Carrier will be a new "Titan" mode
I hope so, Titan mode is fantastic.

Speaking of Titan mode, 2142 is $4.50 on Origin, so everyone who hasn't played it go get it!
If you aren't afraid of Origin of course.
So terrible that DICE had it ready to go for a Steam release but the EA/Valve war killed it. :(

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.85062100

So hopefully including combat on the carriers as well.

Along from making it the new Titan mode, I always thought it would be cool if there were some rush maps where the final stage you have to take to the see and destroy the m-coms on the enemy carrier.
They showed carrier combat worked pretty decently with the Iron Gator map in BF2:SF. Was fun assaulting it, trying to find a hole in the US teams defenses.

valeo

BC2 is still my favourite Battlefield incarnation - BF3 is technically better, but I easily got the most fun out of BC2.

DTKT

Yarp. However, my pipe dream includes either (or both):

Mod support
Server side ability to increase max player count

64 players is the hard max for BF3, but you can play most any mode with 64 players, not just conquest. If they gave "unofficial" or custom servers the ability to increase that, on the right maps, it might be fun.

Haha, mods. Yeah, never going to happen. The community just isn't bright enough to use the tools. /s

BC2 is still my favourite Battlefield incarnation - BF3 is technically better, but I easily got the most fun out of BC2.

BC2 had better maps overall I think and the classes supported teamwork a bit better. BF3 gutted the teamwork and giving the assault a fucking med kit was a dumb idea. BC2 had a far better class system.

That being said BF3 does have Caspian Border which is quite possibly the best BF map ever

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I hate ships and ship battles so this doesn't do anything for me. Hopefully it'll be contained to its own maps or modes.

A lot of the time in BF1942 at sea it meant you spent the entire round at sea. That was the beauty of Battlefield. If you were in a sub, you spent the whole round wanting to dictate how the ebb and flow of the outer map occurred. Sure you got the occasional destroyer smashing the hell out of the spawn points, but that's why the sub was there. Hopefully if they do things right then everything will fall in to place.

If Invasion of the Philippines v2.0 is there then I'll have to cave and buy it.

Top Bottom