• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline delayed to early 2015 (January - March), Visceral explains why

roytheone

This actually really surprises me. I expected that EA would never delay their direct competitor for call of duty to next year.

SerTapTap

I wonder if they'll really kill the apparent annualization program or if this is just a one time delay. As much as Dead Space 3 screwed up, I'd hate to see Visceral become a cog in a Battlefield machine much like all the Activision studios becoming CoD production houses.

Orayn

What if it was always a 2015 launch but they said 2014 so that they could "delay" it and make it look like they've improved how they handle games?

Possible, but I'm begrudgingly inclined to take them at their word since there was already marketing for a fall release and delaying games generally gives people a bad impression even if you do it for the right reasons.

DNAbro

I really have a hard time believing anything form EA.

I think there's too much competition around the original scheduled release date that Hardline would flop big time. The game is essentially BF4 with a different skin, how hard is the development at this point?

considering we are still getting needed stability improvements for Bf4, it's probably necessary.

I really have a hard time believing anything form EA.

I think there's too much competition around the original scheduled release date that Hardline would flop big time. The game is essentially BF4 with a different skin, how hard is the development at this point?
I don't think so.

It is clear from the previous updates by Visceral that they had a lot of stuff to do and implement based on the beta feedback.

I think it was a pile of dung and EA probably looked at pre-order numbers and to a degree the packed back end of the year will probably have helped their decision, but I don't think it would have been the initiator.

Why delay? Its like they learned nothing from BF 3 and 4.

Just release is half ready and people will buy it anyway. Who cares once you have their money.

schaft0620

What sucks its that its going to probably take the slot that was saved for Battlefront. Great idea to not have it come out against Evolve tough.

TechOne

Battlefield: Sidelined

7WizZqU.gif

VariantX

This actually really surprises me. I expected that EA would never delay their direct competitor for call of duty to next year.

Or, EA finally figured out that competing with call of duty with the Battlefield franchise is pointless. They're different from each other in scope and gameplay mechanics.
They could also actually be backing up their talk with actions too.

Rocketz

Crazy that they actually decided to delay it. With the crazy schedule this fall I had no interest in picking it up. We'll see what ties like come release.

What sucks its that its going to probably take the slot that was saved for Battlefront. Great idea to not have it come out against Evolve tough.
There was 0 chance of Battlefront coming out early 2015 though, we haven't even had any gameplay footage. I doubt this changes EA's shooter rotation, we're still on track for Battlefront in late 2015 and BF5 the same time in 2016.

Jigolo

Activision won.

Then again Activision haven't lost. No one can say how Destiny will do but from the looks of it it will be more successful than Titanfall. CoD still reigns supreme in the Winter. Not only that but the BF franchise has been basically killed by EA itself. I do think Hard line is going to underperform sales-wise.

Battlefield Hardline must be completely broken for it to miss the holiday season. EA can't be happy with Visceral.

EA only has themselves to blame. Visceral had a good thing with Dead Space but it wasn't making COD money so they had them destroy that franchise with Dead Space 3 just so they could make mods for Battlefield.

zma1013

Or, EA finally figured out that competing with call of duty with the Battlefield franchise is pointless. They're different from each other in scope and gameplay mechanics.
They could also actually be backing up their talk with actions too.

Oh god that would be the best thing they could ever do. I would love to see a new, non-COD influenced Battlefield. It would be glorious.

Quentyn

Probably a good thing. The alpha wasn't well received from what I saw. And I don't think it was pent-up anger from BF4 either, a lot of people just didn't seem to like what they played.

Hopefully they make some meaningful changes and not just give it a fresh coat of paint to make it seem less like a BF4 mod.

Jawmuncher

Good that they thought to delay it so another BF4 fiasco doesn't pop up.
Can't see them waiting until March or Febuary though since those months are usually packed with games. January would seem like a good spot for it.

EmpReb

Banned
I am so happy because they are learning that going up against COD after BF4 is stupid. BF and COD can both exist but brutal fighting around holidays is only going to hurt BF because of trying to rush it out the door way too early like BF3 and more so BF4. Also trying too survive the one two punch of Destiny and COD:AW its crazy stupid. Given that also Evolve comes out the damn same day as old Hardline Release. It was suicide and I didn't understand why EA was even going to try after BF4.

BPoole

So launch it when The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Batman: Arkham Knight come out? See you never, Battlefield.

seriously though, i liked the beta. just not $60 + $50 DLC liked.

hell, not even $60 with free DLC liked.

not even $30 liked.

under $20? maybe $18.84?

sounds like the order total for a pizza dinner..

RE_Player

You can tell EA is scared shitless about this game. It was a 100% loss for them if they came out holiday:
- Game would have probably shared problems BF4 had.
- BF4 was a black eye and that would have effected Hardline sales.
- The beta reaction was negative. Not due to bugs just the core concept of the game itself.
- They had their shot last year when Ghosts, the weakest Call of Duty, launched but now that Advanced Warfare looks great they'd get eaten alive.

This gives them time to regroup and try to take that early spring spot. Good luck Visceral, if this flops I don't think DICE or EA execs will take the blame.

yuraya

Smart thing to do. There is way too many shooters being released in next couple months. Halo, Destiny, Borderlands, COD, Rainbow Six, Evolve.... FFS how much more fps can people play. There isn't enough dudebros to fill all those games.

Battlefield: Sidelined

lol

Philippo

Isn't BF becoming an annual franchise? So i guess Hardline is now the only one for 2015.
I hope this gives the chance for SW:Battlefront to shine.

Top Bottom