• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline delayed to early 2015 (January - March), Visceral explains why

Vlade

It seemed like a lot to pay for a freestanding BF4 expansion.

There is something amazing in the scope that a BF4 match encompasses. There is something amazing in the motivating missions of cops n robbers. I hope they figure out some way to turn that into a game that is amazing.

TomShoe

Banned
From how slow this thread is moving I can see why they delayed it... Jeez I kind of feel bad for Visceral now.

Meh, it seems like Battlefield 4 with a cops-and-robbers twist, nothing especially groundbreaking. Even the game modes are variations on the classic CTF and TDM modes.

It would have more value as an expansion pack than as an actual game.

Wasp

I'm not too surprised. The beta was met by 50% apathy and 50% negativity which is never a good sign. It seemed like they had a hell of a lot of work to do to get the game ready for November. Better to delay it rather than release a low scoring and low selling game that damages the franchise, like Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

The beta looked EXACTLY like BF4. Actually, no, it somehow looked worse. They really need to improve the graphics so it looks less like a BF4 mod, and by that I don't mean just changing the HUD.

I also had issues with both the Heist and Blood Money modes feeling like total clusterfucks. I had no idea what I was doing and neither did anyone else it seemed. I would rather just play a straight forward Team Deathmatch.

V_Ben

Banned
Whoa, kinda unexpected because, you know, it's battlefield. EA really doesn't want a repeat of 4's launch. Crazy!

MoneyTalks45

Neo Member
This might give them an opportunity to turn it in to something more resembling of an independent entry in the franchise, rather than a half-baked expansion at well-done price.

IHaveIce

Banned
I also kind of assume EA has nothing else really on the table for 2015, so it fits really well that it can be delayed.

SW:BF seems to be very early in dev.
Same for Mirrors Edge tbh.

And were there even other big AAA games of them announced at E3 for 2015?

MoneyTalks45

Neo Member
I also kind of assume EA has nothing else really on the table for 2015, so it fits really well that it can be delayed.

SW:BF seems to be very early in dev.
Same for Mirrors Edge tbh.

And were there even other big AAA games of them announced at E3 for 2015?

I'm getting a very 2016 feel from both of those, too.

October would have killed BF, just got the impression it was going to struggle with that date.

...but saying that early next year is looking jam packed also...and I don't think it will do well releasing with those other big releases. @_@

iNvid02

genuinely shocked, but then i realized they must have delayed dragon age so they have a big release for november.

So either pre-orders were in the toilet, EA realized they'd get murdered in October or they're waiting for DICE to fix BF4 so they can copy paste the code over.

Probably a combination of all three.

Storm Breaking

Neo Member
I feel like they're pushing this back to try and get people to care about Hardline, but really this just means that the game has to sell X number of copies more to be profitable given the longer development period, which seems less and less likely to happen, as people really don't seem to want to spend full price for a glorified add on. This whole thing. It's just the worst, even as far as EA goes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So if Battlefield got delayed till march are we still getting the beta this fall :/ or is it going to get moved for a February release?

Probably this fall. They did say they were going to do another one and get feedback in that post. So hopefully they play smart and do it in the fall when they still have time to do tweaks before gold instead a month ahead. :/

Faceless said:
that's more like jumping from an electric cooker to a damp kitchen counter.

Doubt it. They have a HUGE perception problem to fix. The sooner they get that initial feedback out as another "beta," the better.

Fractal

Banned
Now that's surprising... definitely didn't expect to see EA dropping the usual Holiday release for BF. Wonder if there are some development issues at play here... or I guess they might even think the game isn't good enough to compete with CoD.

Amir0x

Banned
Well thank goodness they were allowed a delay. Maybe it won't need three straight months of patching before it's functional this time :eek:

Haines

Banned
Cynic in me says they don't want to compete with other shooters but hey maybe they are being honest and want to make a good game

MoneyTalks45

Neo Member
Holy shit! could EA possibly be learning from its mistakes?

Don't be silly! While a delay can only be good for the game, it was more likely an attempt to maximize sales by removing it from a crowded holiday shelf. Something about Hardline, beyond its inherent copy/paste status, didn't scream must buy when put up against... well... anything.

Has anyone had a good experience with the game? It seems like the beta had the opposite effect than what was intended.

DNAbro

Don't be silly! While a delay can only be good for the game, it was more likely an attempt to maximize sales by removing it from a crowded holiday shelf. Something about Hardline, beyond its inherent copy/paste status, didn't scream must buy when put up against... well... anything.

Has anyone had a good experience with the game? It seems like the beta had the opposite effect than what was intended.

it felt like an extra mode for B4.

Battlefield Hardline must be completely broken for it to miss the holiday season. EA can't be happy with Visceral.

Who cares? If Visceral needs the extra time to make the game good, then this is a good thing.

I don't know why people are jumping to negative conclusions, especially after the beta reaction. They got a lot of negative feedback to the beta and instead of pumping out an unfinished game that likely would have made a good chunk of change, either way, they requested time to (hopefully) improve it. Good for them.

EDIT: As for "is EA turning a new leaf?" I don't know. But between this and their willingness to listen to almost ANY feedback through the BF4 CTE program, I'm liking what is going on with DICE and Visceral.

I hate to be that guy, but it's "poring over data," not "pouring over data." Unless they mean to imply that their data is a stack of delicious flapjacks. In which case I fully support pouring over "data."

Thank you visceral and EA are whoever! I'm so happy they're actually trying to release a stable BF game. Now I can focus on Destiny, ACUnity and maybe CoDAW. But when BFH releases it'll have my full attention if it's launch isn't as bad as BF4s. Also EA should just make all Battlefields release in March. I really don't want BF5 to be announced in like April of Next year and released in October of that year because BFH will have a really short lifespan of 6 months.

Ark

This is great news. I thought the beta was decent, but I shared the view of some that it definitely didn't feel like a beta for a £50 game. I got everything I wanted from Hardline in about 8-10 hours of playing the beta, there just wasn't enough there for me.

I might still pick the game up when it comes out, especially as it'll be coming out in a relatively quiet period, but I could still be buying games from October (lol) or preparing for MGS5/Bloodbourne/The Witcher 3 in January/February so who knows.

Either way, almost anything is better than EA greenlighting a game to release in a similar state as BF4. Hope the guys at Visceral can pull something great out of this.

eshwaaz

Based on the reaction to the Beta this was likely a good decision, but as someone who was just looking forward to a new single player experience from Visceral, I'm somewhat disappointed by the delay.

Pop

Good on them to correct mistakes.

Still the beta was crap. I lasted about 2 hours before deleting that from my system.

Wow I'm kinda surprised EA is willing to let BF skip a holiday season.

BC2 released in March of 2010. They should just make March the Official Battlefield month, and like I said above I hope they don't release Battlefield 5 in October of next year because BFH will only have a 6 month life span and I probably won't even buy premium.

Top Bottom