• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline has gone gold

DirtyLarry

As someone who considers the Battlefield series to be their favorite MP experience overall from a historical perspective, this game is a huge, big GameFly rental for myself.
In fact it will be the first Battlefield game I will not purchase outright on Day 1.
A huge factor in this decision is no doubt the fact I have strayed away from playing MP games completely the past year or two.
At 40 years old, my time to play games is quite sporadic. I will get an hour on a Tuesday night that was not planned. So trying to coordinate playing a MP game with friends with this type of schedule is just not very easy to do.
The other factor is much simpler.
I am just not sold on the fact this game is going to do the Battlefield name justice.
I would have so much preferred a sequel to 2142 using the new engine.
Hell, even Battlefield Vietnam.
At the end of the day the whole cops and robbers thing just is not doing anything for me.
So on Monday I send back Kirby And The Rainbow Curse to free up a queue spot on GameFly so I have a free slot to get this game delivered, and I will take it from there.
Since I have below zero expectations, perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.
Or, what I believe to be more likely, is this will be the first BF game I just have zero interest in.
Not a bad track record all things considered.

GRaider81

I'm another who will be giving this a miss. Bought every BF game so far but this just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Will wait for Battlefield 5

Lakitu

st5fu
As someone who considers the Battlefield series to be their favorite MP experience overall from a historical perspective, this game is a huge, big GameFly rental for myself.
In fact it will be the first Battlefield game I will not purchase outright on Day 1.
A huge factor in this decision is no doubt the fact I have strayed away from playing MP games completely the past year or two.
At 40 years old, my time to play games is quite sporadic. I will get an hour on a Tuesday night that was not planned. So trying to coordinate playing a MP game with friends with this type of schedule is just not very easy to do.
The other factor is much simpler.
I am just not sold on the fact this game is going to do the Battlefield name justice.
I would have so much preferred a sequel to 2142 using the new engine.
Hell, even Battlefield Vietnam.
At the end of the day the whole cops and robbers thing just is not doing anything for me.
So on Monday I send back Kirby And The Rainbow Curse to free up a queue spot on GameFly so I have a free slot to get this game delivered, and I will take it from there.
Since I have below zero expectations, perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.
Or, what I believe to be more likely, is this will be the first BF game I just have zero interest in.
Not a bad track record all things considered.

I could have sworn in the most recent Final Stand stream, the DICE developer was hinting this is the direction that they may be going. Either that or a prequel. But I can't find the video anywhere.

I don't think so. I'm saying this because I remember buying Minecraft for the PS4/PS3 when there was a price error on their store.

On a sort of related note, I think KZ: SF was some ridiculous price on the UK store back near launch but I am not sure whatever happened to the people who managed to buy it before it got fixed.

HariKari

The hype for this non-existent

Came up in BF4 chat the other day and the response was pretty vicious. If Battlefield 4 was only really ever tolerable for a subset of the larger Battlefield community, Hardline seems like it only appeals to an even smaller subset of those BF4 fans. I remember lamenting BC2 for how much it wasn't Battlefield 2. Now I'd pay a lot of money to have a game that solid again.

I doubt it ends up a total flop, but EA should be concerned at this point.

ploppy

Banned
I agree with the comments that say they have zero interest in the subject. It's bizarre, really. Maybe riding on the GTA success?

I'm also a bit fed up with modern/near-future settings. I never thought I'd say this 10 years ago, but give me some more WW2 or other historic conflict. Or, indeed, "proper" future settings, such as 2143, or whatever. Those are interesting to me.

Psykotik

anybody willing to help purchase 200 kc worth of PSN cards for me?

tried via jrc.cz but it wont accept my credit card

sam777

anybody willing to help purchase 200 kc worth of PSN cards for me?

tried via jrc.cz but it wont accept my credit card

You can try adding funds via your card from the PS store on the PC rather than directly from the PS4, if you haven't already.

No local multiplayer (split screen) then no buy. One of the reasons I like call of duty is being able to practice against bots and friends before you go online and have your butt kicked.

IISANDERII

Then don't buy it -- Do you think they were fuckin' planning or hoping for all the real life shit to happen? Do you think they would actually pull development of a game that costs millions to make because of it, likely resulting in the loss of quite a few jobs? It's a video game and it doesnt appear to take itself too seriously, so it's not trying to push an agenda or anything. A year or two before and this wouldn't even have been an issue. Wrong place wrong time, but they need to make back what they put in.
Since when does EA care about a loss of jobs?

Yaari

Question regarding CZ thing. I was surprised to be able to even place a pre-order without any money, so thus far I have not paid anything but its listed in my download list, it pretty much says I paid for it, even though I never added a single payment method.

Do I need to add funds or what is happening here?

Edit: Standard pre-order policy I guess. One more thing I'd like to ask, if I don't have the 5$ on my account when I should, how long will I have to do so, or will they straight up cancel the pre-order?

bombshell

Heh, just quickly made a Czech account and have it preordered now :)

But I haven't checked if it accepts my cc details yet.

Edit: The webstore accepted my cc details, now I just need to add the 129.99 koruna, but I'll wait until closer to release to do that.

bombshell

Question regarding CZ thing. I was surprised to be able to even place a pre-order without any money, so thus far I have not paid anything but its listed in my download list, it pretty much says I paid for it, even though I never added a single payment method.

Do I need to add funds or what is happening here?

Edit: Standard pre-order policy I guess. One more thing I'd like to ask, if I don't have the 5$ on my account when I should, how long will I have to do so, or will they straight up cancel the pre-order?

I think the policy is to cancel the pre-order if there isn't enough funds in the wallet and no cc card registered.

Yaari

I think the policy is to cancel the pre-order if there isn't enough funds in the wallet and no cc card registered.

Thanks. Also, it seems adding funds has a limit of 150kc. But if I authorize them to charge my CC, I guess I can the minimum funding requirement?

It does seem my CC was approved, never saw an error or anything.

Spineker

Banned
After much pondering, I used the credit I had refunded from The Order to pick this up. I need a fresh multiplayer experience to distract me every now and then to kill time and BF4 is starting to look a bit dated. I enjoyed the beta also.

I'm new to region buying so excuse the ignorance.

I made the account and went and clicked preorder in the store. When I clicked to put it in the cart, keep in mind no card on yet, it said "error" and now there's a 10 day timer on the game and Hardline + the dlc are in my library.

I'm very confused.

I'm new to region buying so excuse the ignorance.

I made the account and went and clicked preorder in the store. When I clicked to put it in the cart, keep in mind no card on yet, it said "error" and now there's a 10 day timer on the game and Hardline + the dlc are in my library.

I'm very confused.

Take a look at the web store and see if it says 'preordered'. If yes then you need to add funds now.

Take a look at the web store and see if it says 'preordered'. If yes then you need to add funds now.

I went to the sony account page and it does list the preorder transaction for 129,99. It accepted my card, but it won't let me access the web store for some reason.

When I add funds the lowest option is 150, can I match the preorder price(a 1$ extra is fine if I can't)? So I add the funds, and on release it will remove them, and I'll be able to play it on my main, just like I would an American store version?

I went to the sony account page and it does list the preorder transaction for 129,99. It accepted my card, but it won't let me access the web store for some reason.

When I add funds the lowest option is 150, can I match the preorder price(a 1$ extra is fine if I can't)? So I add the funds, and on release it will remove them, and I'll be able to play it on my main, just like I would an American store version?

You need to add 150. Remember, the store accepts the CC details but for most people it returns an error as soon as they want to add the funds.

If everything goes through you will be able to play it just like an US store version if you set your PS4 as the primary console for this account.

Can you let me know if you were able to add the funds please?

Can you let me know if you were able to add the funds please?

No I couldn't. The preorder is still locked though. Maybe something can be figured out before release.

Edit: I'm gonna try again later with a Czech address.
Supposedly you need a Czech postal address to add funds, but I'm waiting to try last second. I'm not adding 6$ for them to cancel it.

RustCohle

Neo Member
The 12 minutes of singleplayer cemented that Hardline will be a rental at most. The level shown checked off nearly every modern AAA box (scanning camera, multiple routes, etc.). It's a rental and not a complete miss though due to Visceral's reputation with Dead Space, although who knows how the strengths in creating great atmosphere will carry over; I didn't find the writing of Dead Space 1 or 2 anything to write home about.

On the topic of glorifying the militarization of police, I just wonder what another developer could do with Hardline. Battlefield's gameplay at its core is simply too large-scale for the intimacy and tension that a campaign revolving around law enforcement would need.

Battlefield 3's story, for all its faults, had a few memorable moments. The key one for me was the very beginning: mantling into the subway car and fighting in very close quarters with a punchy-feeling pistol and a limited number of enemies. That short segment held more excitement than most of the campaign to me. I hope Hardline aims for similar moments, but I imagine it's difficult to work with scale when your multiplayer component supports 64-player matches.

...What big issues BF4 has now?

They had a patch last year that addressed most of the problems.

Hardline Beta was pretty solid too. Some wonky balance irks, but it still was good.

BF4 still freezes often on PS3, especially playing Obliteration, and especially if the destruction event happens, players should get a medal if on a vanilla map they make it to the end of a round.

I didn't get a chance to play the beta, but for someone who's only interested in multiplayer, is the multi in this strictly traditional style BF type gameplay, or is it like the singleplayer GTA style gameplay i've seen in trailers?

Yaari

No I couldn't. The preorder is still locked though. Maybe something can be figured out before release.

Edit: I'm gonna try again later with a Czech address.
Supposedly you need a Czech postal address to add funds, but I'm waiting to try last second. I'm not adding 6$ for them to cancel it.

I could not add it through the website, but it worked with through PS4.

I did not even like the beta but 5$ for the game and the expansions is a joke.

McLovin

We should get a new term for when a game is really finished. Like acceptable performance, working online, and a campaign you can actually complete. We could call it going Platinum and you can only get it after 3 or 4 patches.

Fury451

Banned
An interesting question.

One I would actually like to review when Battlefront hits.

The hypocrisy will be quite tasty I imagine.

I'm not interested in this, but it has nothing to do with the BF4 issues. I will happily pick up BF5 or Battlefront though.

a916

I hope this game succeeds and people enjoy it as well... but I really hope that once this is out, the Battlefront media blitz can finally begin.

Kama_1082

Banned
Heh, just quickly made a Czech account and have it preordered now :)

But I haven't checked if it accepts my cc details yet.

Edit: The webstore accepted my cc details, now I just need to add the 129.99 koruna, but I'll wait until closer to release to do that.
It's gonna be like the JP PSN store. It'll accept the CC initially, but when it comes to charge, then it'll reject it.

bombshell

^ nope

I could not add it through the website, but it worked with through PS4.

I did not even like the beta but 5$ for the game and the expansions is a joke.

Same here. Rejected in the webstore, but could top up my wallet with the minimum 150 koruna on the PS4.

I've deleted my cc details again, so the worst that can happen now is that they'll cancel the pre-order and then I'll just have to use the funds on a cheap PSN game.

It looks like they've caught on. The price on the webstore is showing 2,399 Kc for me now when it was showing 129 Kc earlier.

Probably a good thing that all the methods of adding my AU credit card failed as there is nothing else I want to buy anyway so I'll just stick with my XB1 pre-order.

bombshell

It looks like they've caught on. The price on the webstore is showing 2,399 Kc for me now when it was showing 129 Kc earlier.

Probably a good thing that all the methods of adding my AU credit card failed as there is nothing else I want to buy anyway so I'll just stick with my XB1 pre-order.

The 2,399 Kc price is for the Deluxe Edition, while the price error was for the Ultimate Edition. But it seems like they've completely removed the PS4 version of that from the store. Good thing I got my pre-order in yesterday :)

The 2,399 Kc price is for the Deluxe Edition, while the price error was for the Ultimate Edition. But it seems like they've completely removed the PS4 version of that from the store. Good thing I got my pre-order in yesterday :)

I wouldn't get too excited. 5k+ people probably took advantage. That's a huge chunk of money to lose. I'd wager there's an 85% chance they cancel today, with a percentage drop every day until release.

Top Bottom