• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I can see Platinum Games feeling bad for those who won't be getting a Wii U and have a PS360 but I can see SEGA literally not giving a shit, seeing as they're not spending any money (whatever they'd spend would probably be minimal anyway), thanks to Nintendo. So they really have no need to give two shits about the backlash. :lol

GUYS

GUYS

BAYONETTA 2 IS REAL

ilbq8vGrDzuQz.gif

I'll never wrap my head around it. EVEEEEER.

This definitely ranked up there with things I never expected in the games industry.

Making a Bayonetta 2 for ps4/720, with Bayonetta 1 sales number, would probably have put Platinum out of business. This really is the best move for them. I can easily see them going the Monolith route and becoming Nintendo exclusive.

I was thinking about this all day yesterday.

Carbonox

At this current point in time, I wouldn't like that one bit. I am extremely hyped for Metal Gear Rising and would like to see them work on that franchise more (Kojima wants to see sequels if possible, and I'm sure there will be room for them). It's a bit of an easy money-making scheme for P* given the brand. Not as easy with The Wonderful 101, Anarchy Reigns, etc. irrelevant of who funds the development.

I would however like to see Nintendo support them a lot more. Two exclusives; one that looks extremely fun and one that is the sequel to the greatest action game around. Nintendo can give them the freedom to come up with new IP's. Third party publishers can give them pretty cool projects for everyone. It's win-win for me.

But no, I would not like to see P* go exclusive any time soon. I have every intention of picking up a Wii U but that's irrelevant.

Gintoki

Haven't played the first yet, I should get around to playing it. Bought the PS3 version a while ago since it was cheap. (I know, I currently don't own a 360 sadly)

Do you guys think we should open another thread for Bayo2 where we actually talk about the game instead of the people who want to kill Kamiya for its Wii U exclusiveness?

I mean, yeah, a few people talked about the game itself in here. But there's just so much going on about this games exclusiveness to Nintendo, it totally distracts from the actual point of this thread.

I would gladly open that new thread.

MMaRsu

Banned
Guess who's going to buy a Wii U. Me.

Fuck yeah, Bayonetta 2, who would have figured. This game probably wouldn't have been greenlit without Nintendo publishing it, who would want it?

JoeInky

Do you guys think we should open another thread for Bayo2 where we actually talk about the game instead of the people who want to kill Kamiya for its Wii U exclusiveness?

Maybe when it's closer to release, but there really isn't much to discuss right now that warrants another thread.

Carbonox

That reminds me: I'm still waiting for a Infinite Space sequel. GET TO WORK PLATINUM!

Unfortunately the publisher for that was SEGA and it was co-developed with Nude Maker. I very much doubt a sequel will ever be made, plus P* are too busy with three projects now.

Same boat as Vanquish really. I would love a sequel but don't see it happening. :(

Unfortunately the publisher for that was SEGA and it was co-developed with Nude Maker. I very much doubt a sequel will ever be made, plus P* are too busy with three projects now.

Same boat as Vanquish really. I would love a sequel but don't see it happening. :(

Next Mario made by P* includes power-sliding on your knees.

At this current point in time, I wouldn't like that one bit. I am extremely hyped for Metal Gear Rising and would like to see them work on that franchise more (Kojima wants to see sequels if possible, and I'm sure there will be room for them). It's a bit of an easy money-making scheme for P* given the brand. Not as easy with The Wonderful 101, Anarchy Reigns, etc. irrelevant of who funds the development.

I would however like to see Nintendo support them a lot more. Two exclusives; one that looks extremely fun and one that is the sequel to the greatest action game around. Nintendo can give them the freedom to come up with new IP's. Third party publishers can give them pretty cool projects for everyone. It's win-win for me.

But no, I would not like to see P* go exclusive any time soon. I have every intention of picking up a Wii U but that's irrelevant.

As long as we get a Metroid or Star Fox out of Plat, I won't care.

On one hand I would love if Nintendo entered into a partnership with Platinum as they seem like a really good match for each other and Nintendo probably wouldn't drop the crap out of them like Sega did, but at the same time I want the possibilities for a Rising sequel to stay open.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo asked them to consider a Nintendo IP in return for publishing The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

PLACE YOUR BETS ON WHICH NINTENDO IP.

It's not even a question. Kamiya specifically said he wanted to make a Star Fox game last year.

As I wrote yesterday, we don't really know for sure. There's no copyright notice whatsoever for some odd reason. Every single other game shown had one.

Oh, I didn't notice that.
Well, don't mind me then.
Carry on.

EDIT: Also I noticed that Masami Ueda is back as composer for the game. I like that :)

MrKaepora

Let me dream

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo asked them to consider a Nintendo IP in return for publishing The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

PLACE YOUR BETS ON WHICH NINTENDO IP.

Star Fox would make sense but Retro already has that spot taken as rumours go.

Sex and gore are not the same regarding possible censorship/toning down, specially for US. Anyway I'm not saying it will happen.

And when I speak about hardware limitations I mean hardware very similar to the one we've had for 7 years already, for another 6 at least. And don't start with the "graphics are nothing without gameplay" because I'm not talking about graphics but about the gameplay. I would say the same if Kojima came out right now and said "hey guys we've canceled MGS:GZ and Project Ogre for consoles/PC and they're only going to come out on Vita, all our future games will only come out on Vita" even if I love my Vita it would pain me.

And this is, like my opinion, dudes ;)

Not sure what relevance this has as the game, before being canceled, was going to be for PS3/360.

Koren

I'm also thinking about that.

And I'm wondering whether Nintendo could have taken Kamiya word and put them in charge of Starfox U... http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/19/platinums-kamiya-wants-to-make-a-new-star-fox-at-gunpoint/

Most people there seems to like Nintendo, beginning with Mikami who entered Capcom thinking his chances to be accepted at Nintendo were none. And their comments against Playstation Battle All Star in favor of Smash Bros could mean they'd welcome a cameo inside the next one...

Edit : damn, I'm late reading the last posts over Starfox...
I really don't think Retro is doing Star Fox, just wouldn't be the best. I only want Platinum or Treasure to do it.
I'm cautious with my wishes after seeing what the Ace Combat team made with Assault (not a bad game, but I expected better)

P* becoming another Monolith Soft is probably something Nintendo is hoping for from this deal, but Kojima might be fighting for P* to do all the Metal Gear Spinoffs that he is too busy to bother with.

With Konami and Sega on deck chances are Monolith Soft was a much easier transition for Nintendo to pull off the slow seduction yet it was worth it. Putting a ring on Bayonetta is a good start

1upmuffin

This is awesome, maybe a Platinum game will actually sell enough copies this time, I'll definitely be picking this one up for my Wii U home entertainment console.

Also, maybe we'll see more awesome Platinum Games titles being Wii U exclusives, that would be awesome.

wsippel

Banned
P* becoming another Monolith Soft is probably something Nintendo is hoping for from this deal, but Kojima might be fighting for P* to do all the Metal Gear Spinoffs that he is too busy to bother with.

With Konami and Sega on deck chances are Monolith Soft was a much easier transition for Nintendo to pull off the slow seduction yet it was worth it. Putting a ring on Bayonetta is a good start
Assuming Platinums statement wasn't just PR bullshit, teaming up with Nintendo was their idea. If (and that's a big "if") Tatsuya Minami wants to get Nintendo on board as an investor or sell the company outright, Kojima has little say in the matter. More importantly, Nintendo could easily support the whole studio and keep them busy, possibly even expand as they did with Monolith, whereas Kojima productions would probably only be interested in one or two teams.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
haha or imagine the most intense action shooter ever made. Kamiya is big fan of Star Fox 64 and Space Harrier. He is THE MAN to make the next Star Fox.
He says that, yeah, but his After Burner level in Bayonetta wasn't exactly confidence-instilling.

lol
what rumors?
it's almost confirmed they're working on a new IP

Are we sure about this? I just took it as read that they were working on a new Metroid :/

It's not even a question. Kamiya specifically said he wanted to make a Star Fox game last year.

This is the perfect game to bring back; merges both the more casual gamer and the more hobbyist.
Anyone know how the 3DS game sold? Might affect Nintendo's decision with it I suppose.

Sure, I hope so too.

I'm just wary about Nintendo's Localization/distribution, possible censoring in any way and, most importantly by far, I don't want Bayonetta's awesome core gameplay and its possible progression to be limited by hardware for another 6 years.

Nintendo won't censor Bayonetta, co'mon - it would take away the entire point of investing in the game.
Platinum are also making a more family friendly game with The Wonderful 101; Nintendo want both types of games.

Meanwhile I still think that Windwaker has the most shockingly violent death in a video game; and we've seen with Fire Emblem that Nintendo doesn't mind going to certain places to aim their games at a certain crowd (I do wonder if this is what is delaying the localisation though).

Iwata doesn't want to buy studios, but strenghten bonds between them. Like with Tecmo. Would be cool if they had more strong support from P* after this and 101, since they are one of the few studios whose support is actually a good thing.

From this perspective Nintendo has been doing a very good job in recent years and I think they're on the right route; I can see their relations with third-parties such as Tecmo/Team Ninja, Marvelous and so on, have been improving over years, besides they've been able to secure some exclusives like DQ, MH, Rayman and Bayonetta.

I understand Platinum are a bigger studio than Retro, and much more expensive as well to buy out, still - as has been already pointed out - Nintendo should grow bigger in size in order to be able to warrant a constant flow of first-party games to Wii U/3DS, moreover this move would allow Nintendo to gain some mindshare from that enthusiast gaming population they've been targeting and hope to win over with Wii U's offer.

Speaking of which, I'm looking foward to what Marvelous has in the pipeline for Wii U; they've supported decently Wii so this trend is probably going to go on.

Assuming Platinums statement wasn't just PR bullshit, teaming up with Nintendo was their idea. If (and that's a big "if") Tatsuya Minami wants to get Nintendo on board as an investor or sell the company outright, Kojima has little say in the matter. More importantly, Nintendo could easily support the whole studio and keep them busy, possibly even expand as they did with Monolith, whereas Kojima productions would probably only be interested in one or two teams.

Good point about the PR I am not sure how much faith we can put into it but as they come out and speak more and more in the future we might learn the relationship and deals. (what did Sakurai do during his P* visit?)

sounds like a healthy move for everyone concerned, Kojima could still consider them the go to developer to port WiiU versions of his games since he does not seem to want to touch the thing

Nintendo would gain a whole lot more by helping P* expand. This will be fun to watch

Opiate

What? Who's saying this? I'm universally opposed to the idea of platform exclusives. Maybe some other people want other people to not enjoy games, but that's not the narrative of the entire debate. If I could, I'd play it all on my PC.

But, I digress. That's unrealistic. Mostly I'm just curious as to what they're going to do with the tablet controller for Bayonetta. I hope it's not much, to be honest.

Yes, I think you're being reasonable Fugu. I don't agree with your conclusion, but you aren't some crazy fanboy violently rebelling against the kiddy Nintendo. People really need to distinguish between reasonable concerns and childish fanboyism.

Here's a place for some people to start: you'll notice some people who express concern are banned and some people are not. Fugu, for example, is not banned. This suggests that the moderators see a distinction between puerile fanboyism (Banned) and reasonably articulated concerns and/or frustration (Fugu, and others, who are not banned). You may not agree with all moderator assessments, but it's certainly a place to start if you'd like to observe and distinguish the difference.

wrowa

What if they become second party to nintendo can they also make games for playstation. next level games does it

Next Level Games is an independent studio, apart of working with Nintendo every now and then they are no ties between them and Nintendo.

I doubt that very much. Keep in mind that Nintendo never actually bought Monolith Soft in the classic sense. Over the years Nintendo kept buying Bandai shares, probably in the hopes to take them over some day. When Bandai merged with Namco this plan became futile and Nintendo traded the shares back to the mother company in exchange for Monolith Soft.

If Nintendo didn't have bought the Bandai shares before, it's very unlikely that they would have ever bought Monolith Soft, since outright buying companies is against Nintendo's/Iwata's philosophy.

Next Level Games is an independent studio, apart of working with Nintendo every now and then they are no ties between them and Nintendo.

I doubt that very much. Keep in mind that Nintendo never actually bought Monolith Soft in the classic sense. Over the years Nintendo kept buying Bandai shares, probably in the hopes to take them over some day. When Bandai merged with Namco this plan became futile and Nintendo traded the shares back to the mother company in exchange for Monolith Soft.

If Nintendo didn't have bought the Bandai shares before, it's very unlikely that they would have ever bought Monolith Soft, since outright buying companies is against Nintendo's/Iwata's philosophy.

I did not mean to focus on buying in my post, I did not even use the word BUYING. I am really pointing out a closer relationship but yet money plays a large part of that P* needs funding and Nintendo has a war chest that Sega lacks

wsippel

Banned

Nintendo could have just sold the shares, it's not like they had to buy Monolith. Nintendo bought Monolith because Monolith wanted to be bought and Iwata considered them a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom